Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Opinions on a possible used road bike...

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-29-12, 11:37 PM
cashmonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A little background. I just recently got back into cycling and got a new Trek 7.4 FX to do some relatively light riding with the family (child trailer and all!) and then some fitness type riding solo. Well, in the last few days, I have ridden nearly 100 miles, including a 32 mile ride, and I am loving it! I had thought of trying to do a 35-mile organized ride that we have locally, but now am thinking I would want to do the metric century or century instead (it would be a year from now), and am thinking the hybrid may not be best suited for the type of solo riding I am beginning to do. So the idea of a road bike came up.

The idea is that the 7.4 would be my daily go to bike still with a road bike being a once a weekend deal. I want something that is more in tune with longer distances and will go faster easier, have more hand positions, etc. With that in mind, and the idea that I still am feeling this hobby out, I have been tolling through craigslist. I came across this bike:

https://fresno.craigslist.org/bik/3005504605.html

I was hoping to get some opinions on it. It appears to me to be a 2007, and the seller has all the usual nice things to say about it. Would it be better to wait and save longer and get something new? Does the price seem about right? Would I be getting into a sink-hole here? I know that there can be issues with carbon and aluminum, are there easy ways to inspect the frame? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-30-12, 11:08 AM
cashmonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One other thing I forgot to mention is that the bike is a 52cm it appears. I think that may fit me (I'm 5'8"), but what is a good way to tell for sure when I see it?
Old 05-30-12, 11:29 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
You don't think you could do a club ride or a metric century on a 7.4 Fx? Does it get uncomfortable after a certain point? Having trouble keeping up with faster riders? Not saying you shouldn't do pull the trigger on another bike but if you love riding your Trek so much, why change?
Old 05-30-12, 11:39 AM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own a Trek 7.5FX and I can't do long rides on it, due to comfort issues. It seems alright for awhile. However, after about thirty or more miles, I begin to miss my road bikes. IMO, hybrids were intended for relatively short rides. However, with the addition of barends, hybrids can be made to be more comfortable on longer rides.
Old 05-30-12, 11:41 AM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Looks good for $500. I'm 5"7 and ride a 51cm frame. That looks a good amount taller than 52cm, judging from the headtube height.
Old 05-30-12, 11:51 AM
cashmonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yo Spiff
Looks good for $500. I'm 5"7 and ride a 51cm frame. That looks a good amount taller than 52cm, judging from the headtube height.
Thanks for the replies!

I was actually thinking the same thing. He measured it at apparently 51.75 cm. However, I suspect his measurements are incorrect. He says the person riding was my height. It does look like a taller headtube than any other bike I've ridden that fits me.

I do really like 7.4, but I get a bit of discomfort in my hands after a while. Thinking drop bars would help. Also, I do feel like speedwise a road bike is going to be better when trying to keep up with groups. There is also the issue of my fitness, which isn't up to par in my opinion yet, that could be holding me back more than the bike. Do you think a road bike would offer much over a performance hybrid for longer rides and faster speeds? I don't want to invest in something if the results will be similar to what I have now. The big allure here is the relatively small investment.
Old 05-30-12, 11:54 AM
Dan The Man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The odd frame size and the fact that he says the rear tire "doesn't hold air" suggests that this seller doesn't know a great deal about bikes. take any information with a grain of salt.
Old 05-30-12, 12:12 PM
cashmonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would agree with the idea that the seller likely doesn't know much. This is why I tend to shy away from used. I have taken a look at a couple of new bikes at my LBS. They carry Raleigh and Trek, so I am looking at the 1.2 from Trek and the Revenio 2.0 from Raleigh, and if the budget stretches the Revenio 3.0 or Trek 2.1. Any opinions on these? Should I keep looking used? The plus side to new is that I would have to wait a bit longer which may give me a better idea of what I want.
Old 05-30-12, 12:40 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cashmonee
I would agree with the idea that the seller likely doesn't know much. This is why I tend to shy away from used. I have taken a look at a couple of new bikes at my LBS. They carry Raleigh and Trek, so I am looking at the 1.2 from Trek and the Revenio 2.0 from Raleigh, and if the budget stretches the Revenio 3.0 or Trek 2.1. Any opinions on these? Should I keep looking used? The plus side to new is that I would have to wait a bit longer which may give me a better idea of what I want.
+1 ^ This is the best resolution, IMO!

Ride the Trek until it has exceeded its limits. Meanwhile, keep an eye out for brand new road bikes you might like. Trust me, eventually your yearning for a road bike will either subside, or it will spike. There will be no question. Your hybrid will feel like a winter coat on a 90 degree summer day. Just as quick as you'd lose that coat, you'll feel obliged to lose that Trek 7.4FX hybrid. Soon afterwards, you'll be road bike rolling!

Brand new bikes have no history. That's exactly what you want! No history, excellent components, and a warranty! Take your time, learn to love your 7.4FX and all of its many capabilities. However, press on with the new bike quest and preparaion.

Last edited by SlimRider; 05-30-12 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-30-12, 01:13 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
If you haven't, invest in a set of Ergon grips with bar ends for your FX. Don't know your stock tires, but slick 28's or 25's both worked well on my Sirrus, and I put many 75 to 100 mile rides on it in good comfort. Don't know what your stock bars were, but I have had great luck with flat bars, 5 degree rise in one plane, cut down fairly narrow.

This whole "flat bars over 35 miles are uncomfortable" thing is a big pile of possum poo. If the bike fits and you really like it, spend some time and a few bucks to tweak.
Old 05-30-12, 05:54 PM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
2009 stats: Sirrus Pro 35 rides, 1750 miles

2010 stats: Sirrus Pro 31 rides, 1831 miles
Quick 1 52 rides, 2580 miles

2011 stats: Sirrus Pro 67 rides, 3242 miles

2012 stats: Sirrus Pro 16 rides, 793 miles

Flat bar bikes ARE comfortable for long rides if they fit you properly....But I do like riding my drop bar bikes 'cause I can go faster.
Old 05-30-12, 06:03 PM
Pug
High Modulus

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Ridley X-Night

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimRider
Brand new bikes have no history . . . and a warranty!
+2. If you think you'll put a lot of miles on the bike, get a new one. Stuff always breaks and if you have a warranty to cover this for a couple of years it will save you $$$ in the long run.
Old 05-30-12, 06:10 PM
jmX

Bikes: Roubaix / Shiv

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
+1 on getting Ergons GC3's for your hybrid. I did a few centuries on my 7.3fx before I found the road bike I wanted, and it was fine. It's fine to go get a road bike, but I wouldn't do it just because you think a hybrid will limit your distance. You're probably just not used to it yet.
Old 05-30-12, 06:11 PM
ArchEtech

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Offer the guy $375. It appears to be in good shape. Try it out, get it checked out. People are way too paranoid about used bikes. Talk to the guy, test ride it, that should tell you if it's legit. Youd be able to fit to it just fine if you can ride it cold and not be totally off. If it shifts, and isn't beat up you probably wouldn't lose money on it. Have a local bike shop fit you, and later when youre really ready to invest, go back to that shop and get what you want assuming you like road bikes. Cyclocross bikes aren't a bad all around option either. I recently traded up from road to an agressive roadish cyclocross and love it so far. One set of wheels for gravel, one set of racing wheels for weekend rides with roadies.
Old 05-30-12, 06:19 PM
cashmonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks again for all the replies. Gives me things to think about. I think, at least for now, I will continue with my FX. I do believe I am the limiting factor at this point, and should probably wait on a road bike until I have better fitness and a more defined idea of what I really want. I have looked at the Ergons before. Just not sure they will work properly with the IsoZone bar the FX has.
Old 05-30-12, 06:50 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Looks like a nice bike at a fair price to me. The sizing is "weird" because he's just measuring the seat tube which has nothing to do with the "size" of a compact geometry bike (like this one). The head tube is going to look tall because that was the primary feature of the Pilots. Whether it fits you or not is hard to say. Test ride it and see.