Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Visor for keeping rain out of the eyes?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-08, 10:30 AM
GRedner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Continuing my quest to improve my wet-weather commute, I'd like to find a way to keep rain out of my eyes. I really hate rolling along while blinking like crazy to keep my eyes clear, or while my glasses become covered with drops and impossible to see through.

Have any of you guys discovered nice ways to deal with this? I've thought about putting a cycling cap under my helmet, or maybe one that attaches to the helmet. I don't want a helmet cover, since I prefer to let my head get wet (keeps me from overheating). Or, how about a cheap pair of clear glasses coated with Rain-X?
Old 02-10-08, 11:23 AM
ellerbro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've wrestled with this same issue. Rain-x helps but small water droplets still stick messing up your vision so it's not a perfect solution. I tried a cycling cap under the helmet. It helped but the bill wasn't big enough. I currently wear one of these under my helmet. The bill is about the same as a baseball cap. It keeps a lot of the rain off your glasses/out of your eyes, though not all especially if the wind is blowing it in your face or if you're riding fast. I find that it's also great at keeping oncoming cars' headlight glare out of your eyes and when riding all day in the hot sun it keeps the sun off your face. One thing I'd change is to make the forehead part of the visor a little thinner so that it fits better under your helmet, but it's not bad.
Old 02-10-08, 11:41 AM
mr_nickos_jr
Eugenian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A simple solution would be nice (I am curious as well) - though I'm inclined to put up with it for the rest of the rainy season myself. Only been really bad a few times for me.
Old 02-10-08, 12:22 PM
Chriffer
Newbie sounds about right

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They do make helmets with visors. I would think that would be a good way to get a visor on your head. I know you probably lose about 10 cool points and 0.003% more drag or something, but that should be worth it so you can see. Many mountain bike helmets have visors that you can clip off, but they may be a bit fragile if you are going to take them off and put them back on a lot.
Old 02-10-08, 02:18 PM
becnal
I'm made of earth!

Bikes: KTM Macina 5 e-bike, Babboe Curve-E cargobike, Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Baseball cap pulled down low works good for me.
Old 02-10-08, 02:21 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by becnal
Baseball cap pulled down low works good for me.
Yeah--on a nice summer day. It's zero degrees F with 45 mph winds here today. I would not want to be hassling with a baseball cap. I vote for the visor on the helmet. Or just stop and wipe the glasses every few miles.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-10-08, 03:17 PM
warriorphan
ORTrekguy

Bikes: Trek7.5 FX disc

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do not see it on their current website but I bought a Champion C9 hat last year at Target. It has a long bill ( plastic or vinyl that resists water ), reflective material on rear strap and bill, and polyester fabric that wicks well. I wear it year around. I found it cheaper and more effective than a Headsweats bicycle specific hat.
Old 02-10-08, 07:28 PM
ATRodger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought my Bell Influx helmet because I know I tend to get caught in the rain during commutes. The visor on it is detachable, extremely easy to snap on an off, and thin and flexible enough to store in my trunk (I ride with it most of the time anyways). I do wear contacts, but I usually don't feel any discomfort from the rain since it mostly slides away from my face due to the of the angles of the helmet.

The main reason for my purchase was that one of the previous models saved my roommate's life while he was on the trails a few years back. The helmet was in a few peices after his crash, but he had no head trauma at all.

https://www.amazon.com/Bell-Influx-Bi.../dp/B000BOC8SC

Maybe something to look into?

Last edited by ATRodger; 02-10-08 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-10-08, 07:40 PM
Allen

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Goggles with RX inserts.
I got tired of always eventually giving up and pocketing my glasses.
Old 02-10-08, 08:27 PM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've found that European-style cycling caps worn under the helmet help.
Old 02-10-08, 10:03 PM
AndrewP

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Before they introduced automatic landing aids on aircraft carriers, the batsmen who guided the aircraft down were issued glasses with electric wipers. Visors only work if you ride real slow. You can make a chamois sleeve to put around the thumb of your glove which you can use to wipe your glasses.
Old 02-10-08, 10:10 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Yeah--on a nice summer day. It's zero degrees F with 45 mph winds here today. I would not want to be hassling with a baseball cap. I vote for the visor on the helmet. Or just stop and wipe the glasses every few miles.
I've got a fleece cycling cap and a wool tanker's cap, both with small visors...perfect for windy, rainy/snowy winter commutes. You don't need a long visor, one that you can pull down somewhat over your glasses has always worked fairly well for me. The fleece cap fits under a helmet nicely too.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 02-11-08, 12:44 AM
becnal
I'm made of earth!

Bikes: KTM Macina 5 e-bike, Babboe Curve-E cargobike, Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Yeah, a baseball cap on a nic summer day. It's zero degrees F with 45 mph winds here today.
Then a baseball cap with a winter hat pulled on top to cover your ears and keep in warmth.
Old 02-11-08, 07:42 AM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I vote for the MTB helmet. I have one that I use when it's rainy and it works great. They can be very inexpensive also. My visor that came on mine is about 3 inches long.
Old 02-13-08, 10:03 AM
jo8243

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lasik would let you get rid of the glasses totally. That's what I'm doing.
Old 02-13-08, 10:11 AM
GGDub
Dog is my copilot.

Bikes: Lemond Maillot Jaune, Specialized Stumpjumper, Kona Jake the Snake, Single-Speed Rigid Rocky Mtn Equipe, Soon-to-be fixed Bianchi Brava

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can get a cycling cap for less than 20 bucks. Trust me, it will solve your problems. There's a reason why you see the pro's wearing them during wet races/stages.

You can even get wool ones (I have one from swobo) with ear covers for those colder days. I have never had a problem with overheating when wearing one on a rainy day since they aren't waterproof.

Even if you don't wear glasses, they keep the rain out of your eyes when you're riding hard.
Old 02-13-08, 11:11 AM
Wilbur Bud

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 31 Posts
Someone else posted this in answer to a similar question one time, it's a carbon visor to add to your existing helmet.
Old 02-13-08, 11:40 AM
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist

Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Louis Garneau makes a plastic windscreen that attaches to your helmet with velcro. It covers from the bottom edge of the helmet to your nose, and back to your ears. It's about $10. It works very well for rain and cold, and doesn't fog up unless you're also wearing a balaclava or face mask as well.
Old 02-13-08, 11:42 AM
recursive
Geosynchronous Falconeer

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Rush Hour, Campy Habanero Team Ti, Soma Double Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilbur Bud
Someone else posted this in answer to a similar question one time, it's a carbon visor to add to your existing helmet.
Holy fred! This is awesome!
Old 02-13-08, 01:05 PM
Eli_Damon

Bikes: Miyata touring bike, Xtracycle, Montague DX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a Louis Garneau "western helment cover". It's kind of ugly but works great for keeping water out of my eyes.
Old 02-13-08, 01:15 PM
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Many years ago, a friend lent me a neoprene device that went all the way around the helmet and had a visor at the front. Unfortunately, I lost it on light rail one day. I wish I still had it, because I bought one of the sweet-deal helmets at the campus bike shop, but it has no visor. I carry an old-school cycling cap for the rainy days.
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 02-13-08, 05:01 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
bell triton has a reasonable visor (and is big enough for my melon), but I think a baseball hat is the ultimate solution.
Old 02-13-08, 07:25 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Cycling cap:

Old 02-14-08, 10:07 AM
n4zou
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by caloso
Cycling cap:

+1
Sew your own cycling cap and use clear plastic for the bill.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pandaface/278411178/

The see through bill should be longer and not so rounded so it will cover your eyes when down. You can make custom graphics for your cap. Look around the computer printer supply area of your favorite X-mart or office supply store and find Ink Jet iron on T-shirt transfer paper. Create your design, print it on the transfer paper, transfer the graphics from the paper to the cap material, sew your cap, and enjoy one of a kind cycling caps!
Old 02-15-08, 07:43 PM
Mr_Finster
Rather-be-riding...

Bikes: Merlin X-light, Surly Cross-Check, Bianchi Pista Concept 2006, C-dale RT1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling cap the only way to go. Especially in group rides, too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.