Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Re building a wheel, but my spokes are too long.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-19, 06:51 PM
Cooperondersma

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am trying to teach myself wheel building and I was practicing on an old wheel I have. I took the wheel apart and put it back together but the spokes were too long, I tried again following the directions on Sheldon brown carefully but the spokes are still too long. The front wheel of the bike is a 36 spoke 3 cross wheel. The rear wheel is 36 spokes and I think it is 3 cross but I may be wrong. When I tried to lace it 4 cross the spokes were much too short. Any ideas?

the wheel is a weinmann 519 36 hole 26in, the bike is a 1999 specialized hard rock FS
Old 01-22-19, 07:15 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Did you get the spokes mixed up?
Front spokes are the same length.
Rear DS will be 1-2 mm shorter than the NDS spoke.
Front will be about 2mm longer than rear DS.
Old 01-22-19, 07:23 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Are you sure of the cross pattern? Kind of sounds like try #1 was really a 2 cross and try #2 was a 4 cross. Andy
Old 01-22-19, 08:16 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Are you sure of the cross pattern? Kind of sounds like try #1 was really a 2 cross and try #2 was a 4 cross. Andy
+1
Off by 1 cross will result in the spoke being "ABOUT" 7mm too short/long.
Old 01-23-19, 08:07 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I'm betting that only half of the spokes are too long.

It's fairly common to get the cross pattern right on both sides but to have the two sides off by one spoke hole. When that happens you'll get a pattern going around the rim of 2 long spokes followed by 2 short spokes. Don't ask me how I know, but I've seen it happen more than just once. If that's the case, you'll have to unlace and redo at lease one of the flanges.

"Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement." Mark Twain. one of my favorite Missourians.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 01-23-19 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-23-19, 08:16 AM
Cooperondersma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Did you get the spokes mixed up?
Front spokes are the same length.
Rear DS will be 1-2 mm shorter than the NDS spoke.
Front will be about 2mm longer than rear DS.
I made sure to keep the DS and non DS separate, thought that this was the problem the sorts time so the second time I am sure they were separate
Old 01-23-19, 08:23 AM
Cooperondersma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch

It's fairly common to get the cross pattern right on both sides but to have the two sides off by one spoke hole. When that happens you'll get a pattern going around the rim of 2 long spokes followed by 2 short spokes. Don't ask me how I know, but I've seen it happen more than just once. If that's the case, you'll have to unlace and redo at lease one of the flanges.

"Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement." Mark Twain. one of my favorite Missourians.
This seemed like a likely reason, but all of the spokes are the same amount too long. If I want to tighten the spokes to a good tension all the spokes poke around 3mm out of the end of the nipple.
Old 01-23-19, 08:57 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by Cooperondersma

This seemed like a likely reason, but all of the spokes are the same amount too long. If I want to tighten the spokes to a good tension all the spokes poke around 3mm out of the end of the nipple.
I suspect that you may be off on the count or you may have made a mistake in the second round of spokes and placed that spoke out of place. Take the wheel apart and start over. I would suggest you follow the link in this article to Eric Hjertberg's old Bicycling magazine article. I've used it to build since it was publish and the instructions are clearer than Sheldon Browns...similar but clearer. You can ignore the first article about component selection as it is dated. But the other 3 articles are very good and have clear instructions.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-23-19, 09:39 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

I have done the second flange spokes off by 1 hole thing more times then I should admit. I would have suggested this earlier but no mention of their being pairs of long and short spokes was made, or how long or short the spokes seemed to be. In hind sight and with more data this, one spoke hole off on second flange, seems to be the likely issue. Andy
Old 01-23-19, 10:30 AM
Cooperondersma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I have done the second flange spokes off by 1 hole thing more times then I should admit. I would have suggested this earlier but no mention of their being pairs of long and short spokes was made, or how long or short the spokes seemed to be. In hind sight and with more data this, one spoke hole off on second flange, seems to be the likely issue. Andy
I re-built the wheel again and now I see the two long spokes then two short spokes, what exactly do I have to do to fix it?
Old 01-23-19, 10:56 AM
Cooperondersma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I re-built the wheel again and now I see the two long spokes then two short spokes, what exactly do I have to do to fix it?
I tried moving all the spokes on the drive side to the right one hole on the hub then put them in the same holes on the rim. I still see the two long and two short spokes.
Old 01-23-19, 11:10 AM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch

+++++ me too.
Old 01-23-19, 11:15 AM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I tried moving all the spokes on the drive side to the right one hole on the hub then put them in the same holes on the rim. I still see the two long and two short spokes.
Remove all but the first 9 spokes (following Sheldon's process); redo the next 9 making sure that the go into the correct holes. with just the 18 spokes, you can twist the hub relative to the rim to make the hub be centered, and verify that all the spokes are in the correct holes in the rim. Add the 1st of the 3rd nine, and check everything for lining up, then continue if good, back up and fix if not.
Old 01-23-19, 11:23 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

The way I deal with this is to take apart one side, one flange's spokes. I place the wheel with the remaining laced side down, flat on my lap and work bench edge. I place the valve hole at my lap. Looking at the spoke to the right, counter clockwise, to the hole I note which way is radiates around the flange. (It "should" radiate counter clockwise as to keep the valve hole access as open as possible). I then look at the rim's next valve hole, second from the valve hole (the first has that initial spoke you looked at), and running parallel to that first spoke track which hole on the second (yet to have spokes at this point) flange matches up. remember a couple of things, the rim has, say, 36 holes. The hub also has 36 holes but distributed between two flanges. The two flanges have their holes off set from each other so when you look across the two flanges you see a near flange hole then a far flange hole then a near flange's hole and again the far flange's hole... So the hole at the rim that is one to the counter clockwise direction from the first spoke's will also be one, off set on the near flange, hole counter clockwise to that first spoke's hole on the far flange. I call this first spoke on the second flange the reference spoke. getting this spoke in the correct hub and rim holes sets up the rest of that flange's spokes. That far flange's first spoke and this near flange's first/reference spoke will run nearly parallel with each other. Sometimes I'll drop the reference spoke through it's hub hole and have it parallel to the hub barrel/axle and see which two holes it lines up with on the already laced far flange just to make sure of my understanding on the off setness of flange holes.

Once this reference spoke is determined then one can decide on whether the second flange's spokes will mirror the far flanges pattern WRT spoke heads in or out. But that's a different topic Andy
Old 01-23-19, 02:44 PM
101stairborne

Bikes: Lynskey Backroad; Lynkey Cooper CX

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
Just built my first wheel

I am trying to teach myself wheel building and I was practicing on an old wheel I have. I took the wheel apart and put it back together but the spokes were too long, I tried again following the directions on Sheldon brown carefully but the spokes are still too long. The front wheel of the bike is a 36 spoke 3 cross wheel. The rear wheel is 36 spokes and I think it is 3 cross but I may be wrong. When I tried to lace it 4 cross the spokes were much too short. Any ideas?

the wheel is a weinmann 519 36 hole 26in, the bike is a 1999 specialized hard rock FS
i used Roger Musson’s ebook to guide me thru the process. It worked very well for me. if you wish you can purchase on line for around $15.00. The title of the book is Professional Guide to Wheelbuilding, A Complete Reference For Cyclist.
There is also a You Tube video showing him lacing a wheel.
Well worth the money for me.

Good of luck on your wheel building journey.
Old 01-24-19, 07:42 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I suspect that you may be off on the count or you may have made a mistake in the second round of spokes and placed that spoke out of place. Take the wheel apart and start over. I would suggest you follow the link in this article to Eric Hjertberg's old Bicycling magazine article. I've used it to build since it was publish and the instructions are clearer than Sheldon Browns...similar but clearer. You can ignore the first article about component selection as it is dated. But the other 3 articles are very good and have clear instructions.
Yep. Did this last week on the first of a new set of wheels, but in my case I was off one spoke hole on the third round. Easy enough to fix once I saw the issue. Having built hundreds of wheels as an amateur, I generally don't make this mistake; however things happen when you don't pay sufficient attention. I did not make the mistake on the second wheel.

Good luck