Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Aero vs Lightweight Again

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Aero vs Lightweight Again

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-19, 02:03 PM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
Normally I try not to wade into threads like this but since you're open to any advice and feedback -- both are nice bikes but I ride with a bunch of pretty good riders on pretty nice bikes and I'm not mature enough to show up for a ride with the most expensive bike and the cheapest legs.
If the OP has $4000+ to spend on a bike, why not? When I pass someone slower than me on a bike that costs 5x what my bike costs, all I can say is: nice bike, enjoy it, I wish I could afford it.

Better to buy a bike that you can grow into as your level progresses, rather than one you will grow out of and feel the need to constantly upgrade.
Old 03-05-19, 02:14 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
If the OP has $4000+ to spend on a bike, why not? When I pass someone slower than me on a bike that costs 5x what my bike costs, all I can say is: nice bike, enjoy it, I wish I could afford it.

Better to buy a bike that you can grow into as your level progresses, rather than one you will grow out of and feel the need to constantly upgrade.
That's a very mature outlook on life. I ain't that guy.
Old 03-05-19, 04:10 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc

People will always assume there needs to be a correlation between the price of gear and one's ability . It is true of all sports and hobbies and way of life. It's stupid but people really get wound up by that kind of stuff and it's never going to change. Example: old guy in supercar that only drives it at 45mph between his house and the golf course. *shrug*

Old 03-05-19, 04:39 PM
cruiserhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
Normally I try not to wade into threads like this but since you're open to any advice and feedback -- both are nice bikes but I ride with a bunch of pretty good riders on pretty nice bikes and I'm not mature enough to show up for a ride with the most expensive bike and the cheapest legs.
So spicy.
He was pretty specific on advice and feedback, in context.
I didn't see him asking for cheap shots from the insecure section of the bleachers.
Old 03-05-19, 05:04 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
Originally Posted by cruiserhead
So spicy.
He was pretty specific on advice and feedback, in context.
I didn't see him asking for cheap shots from the insecure section of the bleachers.
So what you're saying is, he wasn't looking for cheap shots from the cheap seats so he came to bikeforums for advice and feedback?
Old 03-05-19, 05:05 PM
Nassa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow to be honest I wasn't expecting this. Just to clarify the link I sent above were Canadian sites so in dollar amounts it is closer to $2900 US. Right now, with some of the comments, I am feeling that maybe these bikes are way out of my league. Bikes are expensive in Canada and not much I can do about that.

Originally Posted by Sojodave
I recently saw a GCN video about pro racers in Dubai. They were interviewing pro riders about their bikes and there was a team that chose Giant TCR's over aero bikes because they are fast and comfortable. You can take that with a grain of salt, but I have three friends who rave about how comfortable the TCR frameset is. You should also look at the Canyon bikes.
Do you have the link?
Old 03-05-19, 05:46 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by Nassa
Right now, with some of the comments, I am feeling that maybe these bikes are way out of my league.
NO bike is "out of" any rider's "league" unless you are involved in organized competition and trying to ride a bike which doesn't meet the regulations.

Buy the best bike you can .... why not? Go to the supermarket in your Lamborghini. Life is a one-way trip that gets shorter constantly.

I am a fat old man with asthmatic lungs and a bad heart and not much genetic athletic ability. So I built a lightweight carbon-fiber bike. I spent a little extra to save 80 grams on the pedals ... while I ma 80 pounds overweight .... and if i rode to the potential of this bike i would literally die. My body could not sustain the effort. And I love that bike. i ride it often and never fail to enjoy it. Just taking it off the rack and feeling how light it is brings me joy.

Get yourself the bike You want. it is nobody else's business.

However .... unless you average over 18-20 mph the extra aero isn't going to be a big deal. The TCR should make up for the difference in comfort (which lets you go longer, harder) and lower weight (which plays a tiny role every time you accelerate.) But seriously ... buy the bike which You Like Better.

The funniest part? The guys who really make full use of their bikes---the pros---don't get to ride what they want. Their sponsor hands them some bikes and says, "There you go." And once on the bike, they have to ride the way their Directeurs Sportifs tell them to ride.

You get to pick whichever bike You like best. And you get to ride it Any Way You Want.
Old 03-05-19, 06:16 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
Do you have the link?

It's about 4 minutes into the video.
Old 03-05-19, 07:36 PM
maartendc

Originally Posted by Nassa
Wow to be honest I wasn't expecting this. Just to clarify the link I sent above were Canadian sites so in dollar amounts it is closer to $2900 US. Right now, with some of the comments, I am feeling that maybe these bikes are way out of my league. Bikes are expensive in Canada and not much I can do about that.
Sorry, I assumed the prices were in USD.

Honestly, a $2900 USD bike is not that outrageous, I'd say on the average weekend ride, half of people are on bikes worth more than that. I would call that a mid range carbon bike. I think there is nothing wrong with spending that kind of money on a nice carbon fiber, Ultegra equipped bike, even for someone who is just getting into the sport (again). If you know you like the sport, and will get enjoyment out of the bike, I would think that is a sensible level of bike to get.

Bike pricing is more like $900-$1500 for a good entry level aluminium bike with Shimano 105, $1500-2500$ for entry level carbon bike with 105, $2500-$3500 for a mid-range carbon bike with Ultegra, $3500-$6000 for a high end carbon bike with Ultegra or Dura Ace, and anything $6000-$10000+ I would call a so-called "superbike" for people who want or need everything to be top of the line.

So in the realm of bike pricing, $2900 is not unreasonable at all.
Old 03-05-19, 07:53 PM
maartendc

Here is a good video for you to put things into perspective: How does a $1500 alloy bike perform versus a top of the range $6000+ carbon bike.

You can decide if the difference is worth it to you... but mind you are looking at something in between both.

Old 03-05-19, 08:09 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Whatever bicycle fits you the best is the one you will ride; no matter if it's up hills or on long, flat stretches. I wouldn't worry about weight or components, just ride. And have fun!