Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Vintage Cyclocross bikes? Please post yours

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Vintage Cyclocross bikes? Please post yours

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-14, 10:01 PM
babyshoe36

Bikes: Bianchi Tangent Cyclo - Serotta Legend Ti DI2-

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 3 Posts
Bianchi Tangent

This is essentially the same as vikz Bianchi Axis. Had a little work done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bianchitangent-1.jpg (91.9 KB, 826 views)
Old 12-20-14, 11:35 AM
babyshoe36

Bikes: Bianchi Tangent Cyclo - Serotta Legend Ti DI2-

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 3 Posts
Bianchi Tangent

I was able to get this Japanese framed Bianchi off CL locally, about 3 months ago, after bianchigirl warded off an interested party w/ scary stories of Rust and other devils. So I'd like to thank her, because finding these cool frames in my size is not that easy. So gratzi. oh and also, arigatou.
Attached Images
00f0f_b3wus4cOSkQ_600x450.jpg (44.7 KB, 820 views)
IMG_2945.jpg (93.8 KB, 818 views)
IMG_2946.jpg (93.4 KB, 810 views)
IMG_2948.jpg (99.9 KB, 817 views)
IMG_2951.jpg (101.7 KB, 840 views)
Old 12-20-14, 02:03 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Really nice looking build. Congrats!
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 02-11-15, 08:16 PM
Stubecontinued

Bikes: Serotta Nova Special, '84 Stumpjumper, 70's Merlin by Bob Jackson, All City Nature Boy Disc, On One Inbred, Giant STP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a lugged, 1" threaded headset Pinarello CX bike. I plan to keep it forever...
Old 02-11-15, 09:28 PM
GravelGuy

Bikes: Colnago Super, Giant, Waterford X11, Look 785 Huez, Merlin Titanium, in past times...Gitane Super Corsa, Ron Stout, Ciocc San Cristabal, Ciocc CX, Colnago Master, Pogliaghi TT, Crescent

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
This is a 1995 Waterford X-11, their "entry level" cross bike that I guess they made for just a year or so. The Waterford website doesn't even have any information on it. I bought it new from Millcreek Bikes in SLC to use as a winter commuter bike. Since moving to the Midwest it has been converted into a gravel bike. Which basically means I double wrapped the bars and left just about everything else as is was. One thing I need to change however is the brakes...they are not very good. They really don't act as brakes, more like "speed adjusters." As it sits in the photo it is rolling on 30mm Challenge Eroicia tubulars because right now there is no gravel, just a lot of hard packed clay road base that you can just fly on.

Attached Images
photo.jpg (99.5 KB, 831 views)
Old 02-11-15, 09:48 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
These are sweet bikes and hard to find. We sold a few Pinarello cross bikes but they are not an easy sell.

The B'stone XO series (the ones with drops and road geometry) are an interesting take on a cross bikes.

It's funny how mainstream cross bikes have become. They make a heck of a lot of sense since you get road geometry with comfy wheels but they were a hard sell for many years.
Old 04-14-16, 08:19 PM
1986Volpe

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 1986 Bianchi Volpe. Salmon aka pink color. 3rd braze on for carrying strap. Lost the wheel reflector after i saw this pic.
Attached Images
image.jpg (55.4 KB, 803 views)
Old 04-15-16, 03:42 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by GravelGuy
This is a 1995 Waterford X-11, their "entry level" cross bike that I guess they made for just a year or so. The Waterford website doesn't even have any information on it. I bought it new from Millcreek Bikes in SLC to use as a winter commuter bike. Since moving to the Midwest it has been converted into a gravel bike. Which basically means I double wrapped the bars and left just about everything else as is was. One thing I need to change however is the brakes...they are not very good. They really don't act as brakes, more like "speed adjusters." As it sits in the photo it is rolling on 30mm Challenge Eroicia tubulars because right now there is no gravel, just a lot of hard packed clay road base that you can just fly on.

My all time favorite bike is my 99 Waterfoed RSE-11. It was basically the RS-11 with 1" longer chain stays and Canti's mounts. I believe it was the last year they made an all 531 frameset. If you saw it you might think it was a late seventies early eighties bike.
Old 04-29-18, 04:16 AM
levoz

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gios cx bike in your photos

[QUOTE=verktyg;17386763]We sold some of these Zeus P66 Cyclocross bikes in the mid 1970s. Zeus was big in CX back then and a lot of their bikes were rebadged to race under other colors.

The frames were Durifort and the brakes were probably MAFAC cantilevers with Zeus levers??? They were 5 speeds with a singe barcon on the right side. The angles were relaxed and they had long wheel bases.

We converted them to 10 speeds and sold them as touring bikes which they were ideally suited for.

Here's some pictures of a 1975 Gios CX bike:

This is a staged photo for a Gios ad. The bike Roger De Vlaeminck is carrying is a standard Gios road bike.

Here's shots of De Vlaeminck on real Gios CX bikes.

A Colnago CX bike

We started riding off road on road bikes in 1976. Used CX sewups whenever possible, otherwise 700x35c "Ville" urban bike clinchers that we got from France.

verktyg :50

Hi,
I know this is an old thread, but I bought a 70's cyclocross bike a couple of years ago. It was poorly painted to look like a Gazelle and I did not believe that's what it was. I stripped the paint off it and left it hanging in the garage. However, for some reason I started looking at CX bike threads on the internet this morning and stumbled across the pictures you posted of the GIOS. I'm pretty sure that's what I have, mainly because of the distinctive lugwork and braze on cable bosses right up on the headset lower lugs. The frame is very light and has the same Hatteswan headset, and what look to be original campag bottom bracket, nuovo record derailleur, bar end shifters. Mafac cantilever brakes. I was wondering what the frame is made out of..seatpost OD is 28.6mm, id seems to be approx 27mm? Columbus..?
Thanks
Old 04-29-18, 03:58 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
[QUOTE=levoz;20312704]
Originally Posted by verktyg
We sold some of these Zeus P66 Cyclocross bikes in the mid 1970s. Zeus was big in CX back then and a lot of their bikes were rebadged to race under other colors.

verktyg :50

Hi,
I know this is an old thread, but I bought a 70's cyclocross bike a couple of years ago. It was poorly painted to look like a Gazelle and I did not believe that's what it was. I stripped the paint off it and left it hanging in the garage. However, for some reason I started looking at CX bike threads on the internet this morning and stumbled across the pictures you posted of the GIOS. I'm pretty sure that's what I have, mainly because of the distinctive lugwork and braze on cable bosses right up on the headset lower lugs. The frame is very light and has the same Hatteswan headset, and what look to be original campag bottom bracket, nuovo record derailleur, bar end shifters. Mafac cantilever brakes. I was wondering what the frame is made out of..seatpost OD is 28.6mm, id seems to be approx 27mm? Columbus..?
Thanks
There was some kind of CX bike connection between Zeus and Gazelle in the mid 70's. There's several pages of pictures of this in Zeus's 1974-75? catalog. It may just have been that Gazelle used Zeus components??

Zeus frames were made with metric diameter tubing: 26mm top tubes with 28mm seat and down tubes.

Gios used a distinctive seat tube/seat stay attachment - hard to miss. They probably used the heavier gage Columbus SP tubing which was butted 0.7mm x 1.0mm. That should have taken a 27.0mm seatpost, but...

Manufacturers, frequently used undersized seatposts because they never bothered to round out and ream the seat tubes. They frequently warped out of round while brazing on the seat stays or they lugs could have been out of round to begin with. Also the seat tubes bulged inside the lugs from excess heat.

During the 70's we sold a lot of pro bikes and frames at our shop. We made steel mandrels to round out the tops of the seat tubes and removed some of the internal bulges, then we reamed them to size.

Also, someone could have used a 26.8mm seatpost instead of the proper 27.0mm size for whatever reason???

CX bikes were built to be trashed so I wouldn't expect much in the way of cosmetics.

Chas. ;-)

Old 04-30-18, 09:20 AM
levoz

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zeus, Gios or ??

[QUOTE=verktyg;20313517][QUOTE=levoz;203127

Thanks for your reply,
Unfortunately I'm a newby so I cannot post any pictures. The cable routing and the type of cable stops (ie the brazed on fittings on the top tube and on the headstock/downtube junction)) used by Gios look exactly the same as my frame. However, the lug work is different on mine, more fancy with little cutouts in the bits where the frame tubes are brazed. Kind of like Gazelles. It weighs 1940g (54cm) which is approx the same as a Reynolds 531c road frame (56cm) which I have also stripped.
Old 05-21-18, 04:47 AM
Wes_in_va

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Here are some pics of a 1988 Alan Supercross hat I just finished building.
Old 05-21-18, 09:57 AM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Wes_in_va
Here are some pics of a 1988 Alan Supercross hat I just finished building.

Well done!
Old 10-15-19, 02:36 AM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
Thanks for sharing - would love to find a Gios cx

Old 10-15-19, 08:13 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
1990's. Bianchi ti.

Last edited by thehammerdog; 10-15-19 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Forgot writing
Old 10-15-19, 12:46 PM
G.Money

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts