Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help And Suggestions Regarding Hydrapaks

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-08, 03:54 PM
powerhouse

Bikes: Trek 850 Antelope

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello, Everyone. While out on long rides, I've used a Camelbak and later a Hydropak so that I can take a drink of water now and then without needing to stop. The Hydrapak, which can hold close to a gallon of water, has been particularly helpful in my covering 60-mile rides on very hot days.

When preparing to go on these lengthy rides, I sometimes filled the Hydrapak's thick plastic bladder to the top. At other times, I put some ice cubes in and some water in, filling it to the top, and immediately took a long drink. A third option I chose was to fill the bladder part-way. All went well for about three years until it suddenly burst open while out on a ride.

Now I need whatever advice you can give me. Where might I have gone wrong?

I've emptied the remaining contents after every ride.
I've cleaned the Hydrapak every now and then.
I've kept sharp objects away from the bladder.
Is it advisable to no longer put ice in the bladder?
Is it better to fill the bladder only partway?
Is replacing the Hydrapak a good idea? Is it not?

What else might you recommend? I look forward to hearing from you.
Old 07-29-08, 05:27 PM
Gonzlobo
Red light runner

Bikes: Seven Sola

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did the seam burst or did the plastic disintegrate?
Old 07-29-08, 05:40 PM
Mentor58
'Mizer Cats are INSANE

Bikes: C-dale T800

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like it just went bad on you. I've used ice in them for years, filled them all the way (think of it this way, since you are simply putting water into an opening, it's really not possible to over-pressurize them in any way), only filled them part way if I don't need as much water as a full one migh carry, never had a problem that wasn't self inflicted. Sometimes things just fail... it may have been a seam that was just a bit weak and finally let go, a weak area, maybe a crease in the plastic that eventually flexed enough and failed, who knows? Sounds like you did all the right things to keep it clean and prolong its life.

I love my 'backs, keeps the water colder, I'm more likely to drink frequently, all the benefits. I'd look into just replacing the bladder assembly. I don't know what kind of town you live in, (I'm in a military town), so I can find replacement bladders for dirt cheap, and whole camelbacks (issue models) in great shape for 10 -15 bucks.

M58