Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Kit recommendations?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Kit recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-16, 07:26 AM
SpoDius

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kit recommendations?

I'm looking to purchase a recumbent and am considering a kit to reduce expense. Does anyone have recent experience?

I'm not a big fan of trikes but would probably go that route for winter riding. I also prefer USS.
Old 04-30-16, 08:06 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
Are you considering buying a pre-selected group of parts and assembling the recumbent yourself or taking plans and using donor bikes to make a recumbent bike or trike? You can find out a lot of information about DIY here: Homebuilders - BentRider Online Forums I too prefer USS steering but that design makes building your own a lot more complicated. You have to make some kind of linkage between the USS bars and the front fork. If done right the way it gives precise steering but it can also be a disaster if done wrong. I have two commercially made USS bikes - Linear LWB and Haluzak Horizon SWB. Both have great handling. That's why few homebuilders go the USS route on two-wheeled recumbents. It is easier on a trike where you can used direct steeringand not need special linkages.

Quite a few people go this way but you risk the possibility of ending up with a disaster too. I have a friend who built his own long wheelbase recumbent using plans and a partial kit from a company no longer in business. The frame cracked at one of the welds the third time he took it out for a ride. Though he fixed the problem, that beautiful bike became a "trophy bike" that has hung in his garage unridden for more than a decade. He bought a Greenspeed trike and a Linear bike later.
Old 04-30-16, 09:48 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I built my first recumbent from a Rans Enduro Sport frameset. I bought the frameset through Hostel Shoppe who had it drop shipped to me directly from Rans in Hays, Kansas.

The frameset included frame, fork, seat, handlebar and riser. I can't remember if the headset was included or not. I didn't want the handlebar that came with the set but it turned out to be cheaper to buy buy another bar than to get them to swap out the kit to what I wanted.

I had a good amount of experience working and building bikes but had never built or even examined very closely a recumbent before. Even so, it took me a while to figure out a few things, like brake cable routing. Overall, I have been well pleased with the overall experience. If you're looking to save money this probably isn't it. I had a good stash of parts like Chris King hubs and XTR derailleurs to draw from but all the little detail things (I have Paul thumb shifter mounts and a few Terricycle parts) can definitely run the cost up. To me, however, it was worth it to build my own bike making all my own component compromises.

I would definitely do it again but, if I did, I'd spend the extra money and start with a Ti-Rex frameset for a little added bling.
Old 04-30-16, 01:36 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Buying a frameset and building it usually costs more in the long run, unless you have most of the drivetrain parts already in stock. The closest I've been to buying a frameset was my NoCom, which I acquired as a broken frame which had been replaced under warranty. But all of my bikes have been disassembled and reassembled multiple times - that's the easy part.
Old 05-01-16, 11:44 PM
ldarlee

Bikes: Catrike Speed, Cervello S2, Bacchetta Giro

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never tried it myself, but have seen plans at these sites:

Atomic Zombie

Recycled Recumbents
Old 05-02-16, 06:13 AM
SpoDius

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you. All replies were helpful but the BentRider forum is especially helpful.

My thought was to buy a specific kit and not cobble together a bike. Perhaps 30 years ago I bought a HyperCycle kit and enjoyed rolling my own.
Old 05-02-16, 09:24 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by SpoDius
Thank you. All replies were helpful but the BentRider forum is especially helpful.

My thought was to buy a specific kit and not cobble together a bike. Perhaps 30 years ago I bought a HyperCycle kit and enjoyed rolling my own.
Who makes kits anymore like you are referring to? Nobody, as far as I can tell.
Old 05-02-16, 12:09 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Not exactly kits, but you can buy framesets. A frameset typically includes the frame, fork, handlebars, and maybe the seat. Just add wheels and a component group.
Old 05-02-16, 01:38 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Not exactly kits, but you can buy framesets. A frameset typically includes the frame, fork, handlebars, and maybe the seat. Just add wheels and a component group.
I don't think that's what the OP is talking about though. Then again, who knows.
Old 05-02-16, 01:56 PM
Retro Grouch 

^^^^

OP did kind of do an "ask and run".
Old 05-02-16, 04:28 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Got a Shop?
Brazing skills are useful.

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-03-16 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-03-16, 05:55 AM
BlazingPedals

Recycled Recumbents, for those who can't braze themselves?
Old 05-03-16, 08:26 AM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Recycled Recumbents, for those who can't braze themselves?
"A fool learns by experience. A wise man learns through other people's experience." He's been doing that for several years so you get the advantage advantage of his experience. Nice guy too. I'd probably have a bike made from one of his frame and seat sets in my shop right now but Mrs. Grouch (who doesn't think that I need another bike) was with me on the trip where I met him.