Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Getting new wheels!! Should I upgrade quick release skewer?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-18, 04:11 PM
Jewishcowboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys, I’m getting a new set of carbon wheels this week and was curious if there would be any benefits to upgrading the quick release skewers. I’m getting the Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3’s

thanks
Old 12-31-18, 04:18 PM
ARPRINCE

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Jewishcowboy
Hey guys, I’m getting a new set of carbon wheels this week and was curious if there would be any benefits to upgrading the quick release skewers. I’m getting the Bontrager Aeolus Pro 3’s
A lighter wallet?
Old 12-31-18, 04:41 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by ARPRINCE
A lighter wallet?

Great answer!
Old 12-31-18, 04:53 PM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Jewishcowboy
Hey guys, I’m getting a new set of carbon wheels this week and was curious if there would be any benefits to upgrading the quick release skewers.
Upgrading from what? Which skewers do you have now, or which skewers are thrown into the box by the retailer?
Old 12-31-18, 04:54 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
Only if it adds more bling to your wheels and makes you feel better. You won't feel any difference in weight.
Old 12-31-18, 05:50 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
If you are a weight weenie, one of the cheapest cost/g saved is from a set of Ti skewers.

They may not be quite as durable, but worthy of consideration. I would get a reputable brand eg KCNC or Zipp rather than no-name.
Old 12-31-18, 07:42 PM
Jewishcowboy

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sojodave
Only if it adds more bling to your wheels and makes you feel better. You won't feel any difference in weight.
I’m not really concerned about weight. Just wasn’t sure if carbon ones would last longer or make the wheel a little more secure on the forks
Old 12-31-18, 07:54 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
I got some Zipp skewers for about 30 bucks. Shaved about 60 grams off. Pretty good gram to dollar ratio, there!
Old 12-31-18, 08:10 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I got some Dura Ace ones. They added some weight, but also some security over the open-cam boutique ones I had.

cf: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html
Old 12-31-18, 10:09 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Definitely get skewers if you'll be swapping wheels- a cassette too.

Then you'll have a spare set ready to go.
Old 01-01-19, 06:23 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
I dig these by PZ Racing:

Oddly enough, not really for racing. But they are more aero than anything else... Pretty damn light, too.
Old 01-01-19, 11:53 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Can't go wrong with those PZ Racing. They're surprisingly light for how cheap they are. If your wallet is heavier, ControlTech Race Ti. Just for the blinginess.
Old 01-01-19, 04:53 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
After having had to source skewers as a wheel company as well as having to deal with them non-stop in the shop environment and as neutral race support, as a team manager, etc.....

I have found a few things - skewers cause more issues (sounds/creaks/shifting problems/etc) than many are aware of.

The cheap ones generally do suck.

Internal cam ones are better. Way better.

Strength and reliability are the 2 most important factors. Remember this is when dealing with actual racers - not the perception of what racers are or want. Ever picked someone off the deck who smashed their face because their cool lightweight Ti skewer snapped? Not a pretty sight. Ever had someone lose because it took too long to change their wheel because their external cam skewer was so contaminated they couldn't get it off in a wheel swap? How about have a wheel slam over because their external cam skewer "felt" tight but wasn't actually tight....

Most racers leave the steel, old school trainer skewer on all the time because it's easier, works great all the time and helps with getting into and out of the trainer for warmups, etc.

For people riding generally - get Shimano skewers. The newer Ultegra and Dura Ace versions are really well done pieces of engineering. They are worth the money and worth using.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 01-01-19, 05:43 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
What PSIMET said. When I first switched to deep stiff CF wheels I found that generic skewers whould
make noise even when I tightened them beyond tight. Back to DA and problem solved. If you don't sprint
out of the saddle it might not be an issue.
Old 01-01-19, 05:51 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
...and if you don't race, you have absolutely no need of QR skewers. If a wheel needs to come off out on the road, it's because something that requires tools has occurred. Compared to anything quick-release, it maybe takes an extra 10 seconds to remove a "bolt on" skewer like the PZ Racing, ControlTech, etc. They also satisfy the weight weenies by being quite light, and the aero weenies by being (nearly) as aero as possible. A bolt-on front skewer saves around 1W!
Old 01-01-19, 05:59 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I got some Dura Ace ones. They added some weight, but also some security over the open-cam boutique ones I had.

cf: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html

I can't remember who gave me this advice here, but it was probably the single best bid of advice I have gotten on BikeForums.

I had external-cam boutique Salsa quick-release skewers, red ones that matched my Chris Bling, and was under the false impression that they were better than the old-style internal-cam (or closed-cam) metal quick release skewers.

I have one of the older style disc brake setups, with a first-generation Enve CX fork. Although the dropouts face forward, there is still a non-zero risk of wheel ejection, and I found I had to re-seat the wheel after every ride. Fortunately nothing worse ever happened, but after getting the (heavier) DuraAce quick release, the setup has been rock-solid and problem-free.

They are heavy, over-priced, over-engineered, and exactly what I needed (as opposed to what I thought I wanted).
Old 01-01-19, 10:01 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
After having had to source skewers as a wheel company as well as having to deal with them non-stop in the shop environment and as neutral race support, as a team manager, etc.....

I have found a few things - skewers cause more issues (sounds/creaks/shifting problems/etc) than many are aware of.

Strength and reliability are the 2 most important factors. Remember this is when dealing with actual racers - not the perception of what racers are or want. Ever picked someone off the deck who smashed their face because their cool lightweight Ti skewer snapped? Not a pretty sight. Ever had someone lose because it took too long to change their wheel because their external cam skewer was so contaminated they couldn't get it off in a wheel swap? How about have a wheel slam over because their external cam skewer "felt" tight but wasn't actually tight....

Most racers leave the steel, old school trainer skewer on all the time because it's easier, works great all the time and helps with getting into and out of the trainer for warmups, etc.

For people riding generally - get Shimano skewers. The newer Ultegra and Dura Ace versions are really well done pieces of engineering. They are worth the money and worth using.
This is mostly a bunch of reasons I like thru axles.
Old 01-01-19, 11:01 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
I dig these by PZ Racing:

Oddly enough, not really for racing. But they are more aero than anything else... Pretty damn light, too.
It depends on the racing that you do.

I do TTs(and hillclimbs). If I get a flat, I have no chance of having a competitive time.
Old 01-02-19, 04:02 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
You're in luck - the industry agrees with you.

I actually ran across some skewers recently and was like - "huh....haven't had to use these lately."

Although I will say at this time of the year I am always getting last minute bombarded by riders with no trainer axle converter. "you have one of those things so I can ride the computrainers here today? I guess I have a thru-axle thingy."

Old 01-02-19, 04:05 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I spend my winters riding skis instead of a trainer, so no worries on that front.
Old 01-03-19, 11:19 AM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
So a good quality internal cam skewer works well and does everything asked of it.
People replace them with gimmicky external cams, Ti etc to save a few grams and they barely work.
So the solution is to replace wheels and frame with a thru axle system?
If there is some logic there I am not seeing it.
Old 01-03-19, 01:17 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
In the Bike Shop, the typical repair wheels come with new skewers .. these are usually included with the hubs.. if you were just to buy the hubs..

As a result there is a bin full of used but still OK QR Skewers ...
Old 01-03-19, 01:22 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Pretty blingy https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...wheel/p/14834/
might need Dura Ace Skewers to be Elite Classy enough..
Old 01-03-19, 01:30 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
DA9000 are the best
Old 01-03-19, 03:34 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001

This is the kind of info, based on actual experience, which makes BF worth the effort.

Thank you for this.

-Tim-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.