Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Klein Reve / New Bike Question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-05, 11:22 AM
kentla929

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi. I'm supposed to pick up my new ride tomorrow, a 58cm Klein Reve X, but I have a few questions for you before I commit to this purchase.

I'm female, 24, 5'7", 150 lbs. The LBS strongly recommended this purchase for me (they know me -- I've been going there for years) and is giving me a great price (really really), but even with a shorter stem 58 _sounds_ large to me. The Reve didn't feel large when I rode it, and I did not sense the twitchiness several reviewers have remarked upon. However, prior experience has taught me that it's hard to really know a bike without having ridden it for several hundred miles.

I do not feel that I am in need of the suspension's cushioning, nor am I taken in by this aspect of the bike. Since I ride a lot of rough roads, though, I do like the idea of having down pressure exerted by the elastomer. I prefer to ride solo to some distance. I'm not a great rider, and I'll probably never race, but biking is a very important part of my life, and improving my performance is of interest. My dad recently told me that for a while I'm a different person when I return from a ride (maybe a little less type A!) My ultimate cycling goal is to ride a century, and I most enjoy climbing,

I love the looks of the bike, the Klein snob appeal, the Campy gear, and the ability to run larger tires in winter. I do not like the triple or the idea of being a test subject for new tech.

What is your opinion of this purchase? I'm upgrading from a Peugeot Iseran, and I'm sure I'll find the Klein an improvement -- as I would find any modern bike. But is the Reve right for me?

I'm also looking into adding the following:

- Speedplay Frogs (I've never ridden clipless before, and will start with platforms on the bike)
- Pearl Zumi or Adidas mtb shoes
- Terry Butterfly saddle
- Cateye Microwireless computer

Your opinions on any of these selections are most appreciated.

Kate
Old 07-06-05, 11:46 AM
jeff williams
I couldn't car less.

Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From https://bikebeatonline.com/site/itemd...646&Catalog=39
The bike is too large methinks. 5:9 to 6:2 for 58 cm.
You should be 52 or 55 cm.
The softtail has been around for a while..
https://www.oldmountainbikes.com/cgi-...ike=S0P%200379
Agreed on the triple, kinda overkill on the gears.

Last edited by jeff williams; 07-06-05 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-06-05, 11:47 AM
kevinmcdade
ONE DOWN, FIVE UP...

Bikes: LOOK KG281, Bianchi Pista, Fuji Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even without knowing your exact measurments or the measurments of the bike, a 58 sounds like it is going to be too big. I am 6'1" and ride a 58 from most manufacturers. I would get a second opinion at a different shop. A great price is not going to do any good if the bike does not fit properly.
Old 07-06-05, 12:05 PM
Stubacca

Bikes: '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds on the big end to me. I'm 6'0, 33.5" inseam, and ride a 58cm frame (57cm top tube) with a 100mm stem. At 5'7, I'd think you'd be very stretched out, seat post almost all the way down, and needing a very short stem. Likely the stock handlebar size on a 58cm will be way too wide for you too. My wife is about 5'8 and rides a 52.

Definitely get a second opinion from another shop. You could also do the Wrench Science Size Calculator to give you another guide/ballpark frame size. It may also be worth investing in a pro fit before moving ahead if you're really unsure.

In the end, though, there's no substitute for how a bike feels. If you rode different sizes and the 58cm felt the best, then it's probably right.
Old 07-06-05, 12:12 PM
jeff williams
I couldn't car less.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you get to test the 52 and 55? ....or did they ONLY have the 58 and are trying to pass it off on you?
Old 07-06-05, 12:14 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I think you should be able to get a good feel for bike fit with just a short test ride. You may not be able to appreciate the bike's handling, etc., but fit is pretty static. Is the seat high enough? Is the saddle setback enough for your leg length? Is the handlebar reach right for your torso and arm length? That's about it.

I don't know anything about Klein geometry, but frame size numbers don't mean a whole lot, especially with these newer comfort bikes. If you have a steep seat tube angle and a short top tube, then you will probably need a longer seat tube. Also, different companies measure seat tubes differently, especially with sloped top tube bikes.

Try comparing seat height and handlebar reach of your current bike to this Klein. Are you in the same ballpark? If you don't have to jam your seat all the way forward or use a super-short stem, you may be OK. If you don't trust the guys that fit you, maybe you should try another shop.
Old 07-06-05, 12:16 PM
kentla929

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of the bikes I have now, one is the right size and the other is way too large according to traditional fit parameters. The too-big bike is much more comfortable to me, and feels more efficient. It's a pain-free ride. Maybe I've just gotten used to riding that way. The seat post on the Klein was showing about seven or eight fingers when properly adjusted, and I had no trouble switching from tops to hoods to drops. The drops are much easier for me to get into on this bike than on my current ride.

I'm a bit more concerned about the value in this particular model of Klein and in the crank length. Any thoughts on that? Is this a good road bike, or a gimmick?

K.
Old 07-06-05, 12:19 PM
jeff williams
I couldn't car less.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny99

I don't know anything about Klein geometry, but frame size numbers don't mean a whole lot, especially with these newer comfort bikes. If you have a steep seat tube angle and a short top tube, then you will probably need a longer seat tube. Also, different companies measure seat tubes differently, especially with sloped top tube bikes.
Not a comfort? but looks comfortable.
Old 07-06-05, 12:21 PM
kentla929

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They only have the 58. So I think I know what the score is here -- they're trying to clear the shop for the 06 models. But I'm still very tempted. The bike doesn't feel too big, and I didn't feel stress on my joints when test riding, and that was with the long stem. They're swapping out a shorter stem, so that should give me even more play.

I guess I'm nervous. There's a lot of difference between this ride and what I have now, and I'm not in a real hurry to get acquainted with the pavement.

Thanks for all the replies so far!
Old 07-06-05, 12:22 PM
kentla929

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also: I have wide shoulders for a woman of my height. I felt scrunched by the WSD I tried previously.
Old 07-06-05, 12:27 PM
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is the standover okay for you?

I ride a 58 and I'm a bit over 6'.

My wife is riding my old 57cm Centurion and it's clearly too big for her. She's your height and weight.

But YOU said it's comfortable, so get what YOU want... As far as the cush on the triangle... why not? Might be nice on those centuries you are talking about riding...
Old 07-06-05, 12:27 PM
Stubacca

Bikes: '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kentla929
They only have the 58.
Strongly suggest that you go somewhere else that has a 56, 54 and maybe even 52.

You seem to be questioning the size here, but at the same time you're trying to justify it as the right size. None of can say definitively that it's going to work for you. Don't pull the trigger until you're sure...
Old 07-06-05, 12:38 PM
kentla929

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agreed, Stubacca. I'm definitely going to take it out longer tomorrow and see how it feels.

Standover's fine because it's a compact frame.

Here's what I've heard about Klein's compact frames: 1cm to 1.5 cm larger in their sizing than standard. If that's true then this is about a 56.5. Take off another 2.5 for the stem. This bike didn't feel too big to me. If I hadn't seen the 58cm tag I wouldn't have questioned it at all. But: I am trying to justify it. I'm also fearful of putting myself in a bad spot by choosing the wrong bike.

Who has ridden the Reve? What are your thoughts about the ride compared to bikes at a similar price point?

Last edited by kentla929; 07-06-05 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-06-05, 12:50 PM
Stubacca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kentla929
Here's what I've heard about the Kleins: 1cm to 1.5 cm larger in their sizing than standard. If that's true then this is about a 56.5. Take off another 2.5 for the stem.
Dunno about that... 57.5cm top tube is about the same as most of the 58cm frames I've ridden and owned. Maybe all the bikes I've looked at were sized small . Seat tube is shorter due to the compact geometry - their 58cm sizing is derived from the effective seat tube length, which I guess would suggest that they expect a fair amount of seat post to be showing. With their classic geometry bikes, they seem to size bigger (the 58cm has a 61cm C-T seat tube). A 58cm Q-Pro was too big for me, needed a 56cm. I rode a Reve last year. 58cm was the right size for me, but I just didn't like the feel of the bike.

I still seriously think that since you raised the question, you should track down a smaller size (which I see now is a 55cm) and ride it before you spend your hard-earned cash. How short is the stem you're looking at using??
Old 07-06-05, 12:57 PM
kentla929

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The stem is an inch shorter than what came on the bike. Is that too short?

Here's the thing: I don't have a lot of opportunity to look at bikes, and as speed and distance increase, I feel increasingly unsafe on the Peugeot. (Its brakes are rather ... delicate). I feel a bit pressured into the purchase. SO is worried about my safety, funds are limited and it's a great deal, etc. I'm not sure about the right answer. The bike felt good to me, insofar as I could tell while marvelling over the decided lack of downtube shifters. But numbers are there for a reason.
Old 07-06-05, 01:42 PM
Hipcycler
OCP

Bikes: The kind with two wheels

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I got this same bike in May.
I love it.
Just be ready for some creaks and break-in noises.

Outside that, the bike is a rocket....and comfortable.

I'm 6-1 and mine is a 58....so this this whole size thing may be an issue for you.
Old 07-07-05, 09:40 AM
kentla929

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So. I measured my old Peugeot last night and it appears to be a 63. I knew it was big, but had no idea it was that grossly oversized for me.

Still, I've been riding that bike for a long time with no pain. I wonder if there's anything to the Rivendell argument about bike fitting.

When I was testing the Klein, the LBS owner remarked that I kept sliding back on the seat -- I guess I've been so used to the 63 that my instinct on the 58 was to stretch out more.

Anyone else have experience riding such a large frame?
Old 02-22-19, 02:41 PM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
I am reading up on the Klein Reve V and noticed some of these old posts. Wondering if you went through with the purchase of the Klein and how it worked out. I know this was 14 years ago but I am interested if it worked well for you. Thanks.
Old 02-22-19, 05:50 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Holy Resurrection!

Old 02-24-19, 12:21 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by WaveyGravey
I am reading up on the Klein Reve V and noticed some of these old posts. Wondering if you went through with the purchase of the Klein and how it worked out. I know this was 14 years ago but I am interested if it worked well for you. Thanks.
The OP last visited the site 10+ years ago. If they were set up to receive notifications, they might receive notification, if you quoted them.