Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

San Jose mayor hit

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

San Jose mayor hit

Old 01-02-19, 10:59 AM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 317 Posts
San Jose mayor hit

San Jose’s mayor Sam Liccardo was hit and knocked down while riding on New Years day. Seems like it was a classic “right hook” with the always popular “I didn’t see him” statement from the driver. It’s puzzling how his injuries are being played down in the the artcles I read. One said “minor broken bones”. He spent the night in the hospital. Very odd.

Last edited by Joe Bikerider; 01-02-19 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Correct name
Old 01-02-19, 11:12 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Saw that last night.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/01/...ile-bicycling/

Jan 1st seems to be a particularly deadly day, even with little traffic and in many cases (including, apparently, this one) no intoxication. It was a beautiful, sunny (albeit cold) day.

Unfortunately "I didn't see him" is probably true. (Allowing for "see" to include visual brain information processing.)
Old 01-02-19, 11:48 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
According to an eyewitness, the driver of the SUV pulled out from a stop sign on Salt Lake Drive into the path of Sam Liccardo who was bicycling toward the foothills on Maybury Road.

But it was a sunny day.

You know what they give a driver who pulls out from a stop sign and causes a crash after they failed to yield the right of way to a motor vehicle?
A ticket.

You know what they give a driver who pulls out from a stop sign and causes a crash after they failed to yield the right of way to a person walking or a person biking?
Nothing.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 01-02-19 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-02-19, 02:56 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
In this case the politician probably overruled the cyclist. Claiming less injury makes him seem more fit for office, and not annoying people with (much-publicized and debated) lawsuits is better fro his re-election campaign.

We need to hire someone to hit the chief of police or something. That money we spent on the mayor---obviously wasted.
Old 01-02-19, 03:46 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 241 Posts
Crazy. Couldn't find a better place to ride a bike. 2 way turn median in the middle, 1 thru lane + bike lane and parking lane both sides.
How do they screw that up in broad daylight??
Old 01-02-19, 03:58 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by Maelochs
In this case the politician probably overruled the cyclist. Claiming less injury makes him seem more fit for office, and not annoying people with (much-publicized and debated) lawsuits is better fro his re-election campaign.

We need to hire someone to hit the chief of police or something. That money we spent on the mayor---obviously wasted.
Yup, I am sure he made all those decisions while in the hospital overnight.
Old 01-02-19, 06:30 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
Crazy. Couldn't find a better place to ride a bike. 2 way turn median in the middle, 1 thru lane + bike lane and parking lane both sides.
How do they screw that up in broad daylight??
They're looking in the traffic lane and not the bike lane. I ride a similar road and if there's a car coming from a side road and no traffic on my road, I get out in the lane so they're more likely to see me.
Old 01-02-19, 08:24 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by jon c.
They're looking in the traffic lane and not the bike lane. I ride a similar road and if there's a car coming from a side road and no traffic on my road, I get out in the lane so they're more likely to see me.
Aaand blaming the victim begins....

Fascinating.

Both that you assume that they didn’t “take the lane!”

And you assume that a couple of feet makes a difference between SMIDSY and after you....

But if magical lane position makes you feel better.... (Can’t happen to me because.....)

-mr. bill
Old 01-02-19, 08:39 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by mr_bill

Fascinating.

And you assume that a couple of feet makes a difference between SMIDSY and after you....

But if magical lane position makes you feel better.... (Can’t happen to me because.....)

-mr. bill
I read his post twice, and see no blaming anyone. He just told us what he did. It is like saying "I wear a bright yellow helmet with red blinking LEDs." It might be irrelevant, but it is not victim-blaming.
Old 01-02-19, 10:15 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Surprised an experienced cyclist got hit like that. I have yet to look at the overhead/google map or any of that ... but shouldn't we all be Expecting right hooks?

if it is indeed "what every cyclist fears" and all that ....

As for taking the lane ... it depends. Did he roll up behind the SUV and follow it? Then how did he get hit? Was he in front of the SUV? if it was a stop street, why didn't he stop? if the SUV was stopped and the mayor was also ... and pulled off together, that is bad judgment and potentially illegal. Each party has to stop at a stop sign.

If the mayor got there first, then I have to ask what he did to make sure he was safe. Did he pull far enough forward to be sure he would be visible? Maybe he should have taken the lane---if he let the SUV pull right up nest to him and still planned to beat it across the intersection, that is just bad judgment.

And for all you "Blaming the victim" people---make like a Thanksgiving turkey and fill you body cavities with bread and giblets. It is important to ask All questions when investigating an accident. Either, neither, or both parties could have mad egregious errors ... or just one small error each, or maybe it was all one guy's fault.

I do know this---there is No Way legally two vehicles can pull away from the same stop sign in the same lane at the same time. Which one arrived first is a key question here.

Anyway ... "Blaming the victim" is the new "She's a witch!" Until there is a determination of what happened, No One Is the "Victim." The fact that one guy got hurt more doesn't make him the "Victim." It is the purpose of the accident investigation to determine if all parties were responsible, or if there was a victim, and if so which party,. Fault can also be assigned in differing degrees to all parties involved.

Let me say that again: Until the accident has been fully investigated and understood there is no victim. There is a more physically injured party, but that is not necessarily a "victim."

Let's stop attacking each other over nonsense at least until we know what we are fighting over, eh?
Old 01-02-19, 10:43 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.

Fascinating.

-mr. bill
No blaming in the post.
What is most fascinating is your bizarre interpretation.
Old 01-03-19, 04:27 AM
Maelochs

Can anyone familiar with the location post an actual address or a google map photo? I have not had time to do the research, and feel that i should be rewarded for my laziness. Thanks.
Old 01-04-19, 08:20 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
According to an eyewitness, the driver of the SUV pulled out from a stop sign on Salt Lake Drive into the path of Sam Liccardo who was bicycling toward the foothills on Maybury Road.

But it was a sunny day.

You know what they give a driver who pulls out from a stop sign and causes a crash after they failed to yield the right of way to a motor vehicle?
A ticket.

You know what they give a driver who pulls out from a stop sign and causes a crash after they failed to yield the right of way to a person walking or a person biking?
Nothing.

-mr. bill
Not true. I was involved in just such a crash. I was on a major boulevard with 2 lanes either way. The driver was on a side street, stopped at a sign. He pulled out without warning and I struck the fender and was out on the hood.

I was taken to hospital, then was visited there by the responding LEO that informed me that he issued a ticket to the driver for "failing to yield at a stop."

Yes, tickets DO get issued in such cases. This was back in the '80's, so I can openly discuss this.
Old 01-04-19, 08:47 AM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by genec
Not true. I was involved in just such a crash. I was on a major boulevard with 2 lanes either way. The driver was on a side street, stopped at a sign. He pulled out without warning and I struck the fender and was out on the hood.

I was taken to hospital, then was visited there by the responding LEO that informed me that he issued a ticket to the driver for "failing to yield at a stop."

Yes, tickets DO get issued in such cases. This was back in the '80's, so I can openly discuss this.
"The driver [of the 2002 Toyota Highlander] did receive a ticket for failing to yield."

-mr. bill
Old 01-04-19, 01:40 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
So we have now debunked that myth...
Old 01-04-19, 02:02 PM
Maelochs

I will need to go to Google maps eventually ... if the driver was heading south and the rider east on a perpendicular street ....
Old 01-07-19, 09:42 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
still think it's necessary information that he was struck by an "SUV". does it matter whether it's a sedan, hatchback, all wheel drive, etc?
Old 01-07-19, 09:46 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by Maelochs
I will need to go to Google maps eventually ... if the driver was heading south and the rider east on a perpendicular street ....
Sam Liccardo, 48, was (bike) riding eastbound in a bike lane on Mabury Road
The auto driver, heading southbound on Salt Lake Drive, briefly stopped at a stop sign and then turned directly into the path of Liccardo,
Liccardo slammed against the side of the SUV. Some media reports said his head went through the car’s window, although police could not confirm this
Police didn’t say why the driver failed to yield to Liccardo, who had the right of way
Liccardo was kept overnight at Regional Medical Center for observation. When he addressed reporters in the hospital lobby the next day, he was standing and walking, but wearing a brace to help heal his fractured sternum and two broken vertebrae.
Despite his injuries, Liccardo was in good humor during the press conference, joking, “Fortunately, the doctors state that all defects to the head were pre-existing conditions.”

Mabury Rd & Salt Lake Dr, San Jose, CA 95133

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-07-19 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-07-19, 12:16 PM
Maelochs

Thanks for that.

That is how I pictured it ... i don't understand how the car came across all that roadway without the mayor seeing it. The vehicle had to cross at least four lanes of traffic to reach the lane where the mayor was riding, Glad the driver was ticketed, but where was the mayor looking?
Old 01-07-19, 12:42 PM
rumrunn6

& where exactly did they make contact? the description makes it sound like the driver "turned" so does that mean turned to travel the same direction as the biker? & if so why would the driver turn using the bike lane? why not turn into one of the travel lanes? maybe they rushed cuz a car was coming so they turned fast & that made them turn wide?
Old 01-07-19, 12:42 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 241 Posts
The description of this event just does NOT make sense. The SB Toyota would then be turning LEFT into the car lane where the bike should NOT be in conflict. If the mayor was in a group, then surely they would be SEEN. If there were cars in the left turns middle, they would have ROW and preclude the Toyota moving.
I could imagine a bike wanting to ride the left line of the bike lane, anything else is just plain dumb.

If the SUV was going straight thru SB or turning right from going NB, it would cross the bike lane. This could then fit the outcome of the driver not looking enough.
It could then matter some if there were a bunch parked cars blocking the view.
Old 01-07-19, 01:03 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
If you ride your bike on the road, you might get hit by a car. It goes with the territory. Who is right and who is wrong is another matter entirely. Who is hurt and who is not is fairly predictable.
Old 01-11-19, 06:39 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
still think it's necessary information that he was struck by an "SUV". does it matter whether it's a sedan, hatchback, all wheel drive, etc?
Why are you being defensive? It's just decent 20th/ 21st Century reportage. If it was a Fiat Spyder that hit him I'm sure the report would have said 'struck by a small Italian sportscar'. The reporters job isn't to judge but to objectively depict an event. To leave out significant details is simply sloppy reporting, even if it salves the consciences of some of the readership. But ... back to your point. You don't think it matters what kind of vehicle you are struck by? Guess again. The spike in cyclist and pedestrian fatalities is entirely due to the higher impact heights of our much taller late model SUV's and Pick-up trucks. The hit that once would have scooped the ped or cyclist up and flung them over the hood now bludgeons them directly in the torso. Or the head! Death from blunt force trauma to the torso is much more likely than when the blow is received against the legs.
Old 01-11-19, 07:05 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
It is a typo. It should have read "FUV."
Old 01-15-19, 04:27 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Ignorant driver