Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs
Reload this Page >

' Bike-Share Options Are Rarely Available for People With Disabilities'

Search
Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-18, 05:35 PM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/10/u...s-detroit.html
Old 12-13-18, 11:59 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
As one without much knowledge of the disabled cycling community, just having seen this topic on the main page, I would have two questions:

1) are there particular disabilities in significant enough numbers that one style of accessible cycle would suit them? Whenever I have seen adaptive cycles in the past, they generally seem very customized to the individual, I would worry about how to stock bikes if one needed multiple different styles to accommodate different disabilities.
2) are there provisions for transporting the individuals off-bike mobility devices? Something like a cane probably isn't that difficult to transport, bringing along a wheelchair while you are on the bike more problematic.

Glad to see Detroit taking a lead in it, though!
Old 01-20-19, 10:14 PM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I wish to see more Bike Share options. And a variety of adaptive solutions. Another way people with disabilities can try new equipment, and if they like it, eventually find what works for them. Accessibility and inclusion in exercise and fitness options, benefits everyone. And also due to the cost of adaptive equipment and solutions, we can reach out to new cyclists. Which keeps our hobby and passion alive. And those on low income, can also still benefit. A win-win solution. Can beats Can't. And any way people with disabilities can exercise, see scenery they don't get to see, interact with their environment, get out, and DO THINGS, they grin, they are engaged, they function better. I understand this. I also for 29 years looked at everyone else pedalling, my balance and spasticity too erratic. I got to try hand cycles and recumbents in an adaptive sports festival, was offered time on a Cannondale Mountain Bike, discovered I could. I wound up getting a used Trek 800 Singletrack Mountain bike. I no longer lust after those who ride. I got a new crash helmet. I ride as much as I am able, and can do so. And can do 12-15 miles when desired in one week, easily, on rusty, spastic, stiff, cerebral palsied muscles. My physical therapists think by summer, that a Quarter Century is doable. Why deny a good form of exercise, PT, and building strength which is fun? And makes such folks healthier and fitter. It's an investment in our future. I believe in this, I am passionate, and willing to speak on behalf of the benefits. And I see them at almost 55 years old. When we don't get out, exercise, and have fun, we go to waste.

Last edited by Kent T; 01-20-19 at 10:25 PM.