Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

New frame thread grief

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

New frame thread grief

Old 01-23-19, 10:06 PM
Steelbikes

Bikes: '90 Team 7-eleven, '87 Paramount, '85 Merckx Professional

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New frame thread grief

I am trying to build a NOS Italian frame but threads on the steer tube and bottom bracket are uncooperative. Do new threads need to be deburred? If so what is a good way to do so?
Old 01-23-19, 10:43 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
It was common years ago that the team mechanic would do all the final frame prep procedures like chase and face, ream and face and such on new frames. But I sure don't know how well prepped the frame you have is. Certainly the chance of paint in the threads, the full compliment of prep, damaged threads is possible. Not sure we can be of much more help then to explain and suggest what others have needed to do in the past. We're not in a position to see your frame.

As example do you know if your frame is Italian threaded or English (as was the trend to change to in the 1990s). Is there paint is the various threads like bottle bosses or BB shell? Are you sure that the parts you have are of the correct threading/specs? Like I said we don't know anything for real yet. Andy
Old 01-24-19, 08:40 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
this thread probably should have been posted in Mechanics or even C&V. How old is the frame? You need to find a bike shop that has an Italian bb tap(probably) and a die for the steerer. Not sure if anyone in Boise would have that.
Old 01-24-19, 05:50 PM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
When you write that the threads are uncooperative, it's a little vague. If they just have a little surface rust or paint you can try to wire wheel the rust or paint off. I have small one that I use occasionally that fits inside a bb shell.
If that doesn't work, then you will have to find some taps/ dies for it.
Old 01-24-19, 06:07 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
It was common years ago that the team mechanic would do all the final frame prep procedures like chase and face, ream and face and such on new frames.
Yep, "back when" it was SOP in my shop to put each and every Italian frame-set on the flat table/fork jig to align and then mill/face/tap/ream/chase and final QC away until prepped for sale.
Find an Old School shop that still has these tools and the skills to use them or a local frame builder to perform the tasks for you.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 01-24-19 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-24-19, 06:07 PM
Steelbikes

Bikes: '90 Team 7-eleven, '87 Paramount, '85 Merckx Professional

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike is a mid-90's columbus tubing, and because it's new, the bb and steer tube have never been installed. I'm pretty sure my components are matching in terms of size and threading, but the threads on the frame are course and unpolished and seem to only be threadible with great force. I'm just wondering if the frame has not yet been fully prepared and there is a common treatment to the threads that has not been completed.
Old 01-24-19, 06:33 PM
Bandera
~>~

Originally Posted by Steelbikes
The bike is a mid-90's columbus tubing, and because it's new, the bb and steer tube have never been installed. I'm pretty sure my components are matching in terms of size and threading, but the threads on the frame are course and unpolished and seem to only be threadible with great force. I'm just wondering if the frame has not yet been fully prepared and there is a common treatment to the threads that has not been completed.
See Post #5 above.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 01-24-19 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-24-19, 06:57 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

steel bikes usually need the bb threads to be chased in order to have reasonable threading. I don't think that is normally true of steerer threads. Unless it's just the first thread that is not that great. In either case, paint can cause this problem, but it seems like the OP would have mentioned that
Old 01-24-19, 07:46 PM
Bandera
~>~

Originally Posted by unterhausen
steel bikes usually need the bb threads to be chased in order to have reasonable threading. I don't think that is normally true of steerer threads.
The forks on most Italian frame-sets were delivered threaded and un-cut from the late 60's on, some were close to right-on the stack height of a Record HS in the early-mid 70's but w/ changing "standards" it was just another SOP job to cut forks and chase threading on each and every frame-set. No point in doing that before a build list for the customer determined what was required. Sold as a "bare" frame-set the customer got what the Mfg delivered which would generally require the work of a competent shop to do what was necessary to fit/chase the fork and install the HS of choice.

-Bandera
Old 01-25-19, 08:15 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

It really depends on the builder. Columbus sold unthreaded steerers, so it's possible that the builder of this frame did a crummy job of threading. If it is a steerer threaded by Columbus, it wouldn't need chasing at all unless damaged.
Old 01-25-19, 09:14 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
All it should take to get a steer ready is carefully filing a chamfer around the lead thread. It's normal to have a 45 degree chamfer to the root of the thread, to insure an easy start. As for the BB threads, my mid 90's Tommasini Sintesi didn't need any prep before assembly.