Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Downtube Mini vs. Brompton

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-18, 12:31 PM
Khb

Bikes: Stromer ST-1; Gary Fisher SAAB edition; Dahon Speed D7; Motobecane Grand Touring 1972

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hoping that some folks here have had the opportunity to ride both. Clearly the Brompton has the best (tightest, smallest) fold. But practically speaking, how does the ride compare to the 16" Downtube bikes?
Old 04-29-18, 03:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
306 16" is fatter, a lower pressure tire , it has to ride different than the 100 psi Brompton wheel ..

Fold in half bikes are wider packed , and front wheel does not cover the drivetrain when folded , Brompton Does.

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-27-18 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-29-18, 05:06 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob

Neither one are made in Asia , Downtube is..

how is this germane, relevant to the OP's question ("...practically speaking, how does the ride compare to the 16" Downtube bikes?")?

i am surprised you didn't mention, as you are wont to do throught the whole forum, apropos nothing, your German-made Schmoloff hub.

We all hate name-droppers. I hate place-of-manufacture-droppers. Not only because it is gauche, but also because it is an increasingly anachronist, ethnocentric bias that distorts the market for information. So what if it is made in Asia? That tell us very little. It could be craptacular, spectacular or sonewhere in the middle.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 04-29-18 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-29-18, 08:40 PM
BikeLite

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
lol
Old 04-29-18, 10:12 PM
L Arnold
**thusi*st

Bikes: Specialized Touring Expedition '1984, Volagi Liscio, Dahon Visc D18, Dahon Visc SL, Schwinn Moab

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I think Abu Mahendra makes a good point. People ride bikes all around the world. It is true that some places they should ride more, perhaps for the sake of riding.

It looks like BikeForums went through an upgrade. Remarkable.
Old 04-30-18, 09:15 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Lower wage factories help a company's bottom line..
Old 04-30-18, 09:15 AM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
I like My Brompton, and my Bike friday season Tikit , both 349 high pressure 16" wheel ..

Neither one are made in Asia , Downtube is..

never rode the other one , never even seen one in town.. I doubt you will ship one for me to revue..

My nearby local bike shop gets some of the DaHon Type.

306 16" is fatter, a lower pressure tire , it has to ride different than the 100 psi Brompton wheel ..

I sense a slight bit of veiled elitism in this reply ( or is it just me? )

I'm not sure this answers the OP's question (as neither does THIS, my post for that matter) but this is also a question I'm interested in hearing actual useful response to as well.
Old 04-30-18, 09:28 AM
porschetoyz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Khb, I have owned both (at the same time). The rides are definitely comparable.
I sold the original Mini 8IGH and kept the Brompton (intending to super mod it ... but instead I bought a TiSwift frame ...).
Old 04-30-18, 09:39 AM
Khb

Bikes: Stromer ST-1; Gary Fisher SAAB edition; Dahon Speed D7; Motobecane Grand Touring 1972

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
porschetoyz: ... so what made you decide to keep the Brompton and sell the Mini?

Last edited by Khb; 04-30-18 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-30-18, 09:47 AM
Khb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
]fietsbob: I can read spec sheets all day and not know how the bike rides. My Stromer is a very lovely, high quality (and price ;<) bike, made in China (designed by the Swiss). So I've got no illusions about what kind of quality *can* come from China ;>

Last edited by Khb; 04-30-18 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-30-18, 01:19 PM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Originally Posted by porschetoyz
Khb, I have owned both (at the same time). The rides are definitely comparable.
I sold the original Mini 8IGH and kept the Brompton (intending to super mod it ... but instead I bought a TiSwift frame ...).
The IGH seems like cycling and maintenance paradise to me and I'm curious why Brompton hasn't incorporated that technology vs that used in (especially) their 6 sp versions.
Was there something regarding the IGH that you didnt like, over the Brompton's drive system?
Old 04-30-18, 01:29 PM
fietsbob
Banned

They looked nice..

He had the money for a custom titanium bike from China, there was a group that decided the Swift Type was best, & got the build data together, last year.

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-30-18 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-30-18, 01:32 PM
FolderBeholder

they managed to keep the width down so the fold size is not greater.
That makes sense. Design parameters...I get it.
Sounds like a NARROWER IGH is whats needed
Old 04-30-18, 01:35 PM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by FolderBeholder
The IGH seems like cycling and maintenance paradise to me and I'm curious why Brompton hasn't incorporated that technology vs that used in (especially) their 6 sp versions.
Was there something regarding the IGH that you didnt like, over the Brompton's drive system?
Nothing beats the 3 speed hub for reliability except maybe a Rohloff. Doesn't seem to matter if its a Sturmey Archer, Shimano or Sram/Sachs they all seem reliable but then the 3 speed hub is a simplistic design with space for stronger parts. For touring I think only the 3 speed hub or Rohloff is recommended for geared hubs. I would think that is Brompton's logic as its a premium product for most and reliability and long life is expected.
Old 04-30-18, 01:47 PM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Greenzone have an offer on their 3 speed hub 16" bike at the moment. Looks really nice, 3 colours to choose from. It's $299 but does have some very decent parts and the 3 speed hub will probably go on for ever. Definitely worth considering if you want a bike with longer term reliability. Suspect the frame is pretty much the same factory as the Downtube. Not really a fan of their 20" models though, look to be low end drivetrains but these 3 speed models look very nice.

https://www.greenzonebikes.com/folding-bicycles?path=60

Old 04-30-18, 04:58 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

I sense a slight bit of veiled elitism in this reply ( or is it just me? )
No, it is not just you. It is, in fact, a chronic cancer, a long-standing malaise afflicting this channel. It particularly common among those whose bikes are made in, say, London or Eugene, and who, as a result of having to pay much higher prices due to higher labor costs, automatically equate higher price with higher quality. To justify the higher price, they need to establish a (specious) hierarchy on which, of course, they confer upon themselves the highest rung. The flip side of that sorry coin is a need to denigrate, smear, question (you know, Trumpist tactics) competitors or competing visions. The psychology is quite transparent, if not even understandable.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 04-30-18 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-30-18, 05:00 PM
Abu Mahendra

Lower wage factories help a company's bottom line..
​​​​​​
Nice try at weaseling out, but that still does not answer the OP's question.
Old 05-01-18, 09:00 AM
fietsbob
Banned

I offered a revue of it if one is shipped to me..

don't own both , no shops carry Downtube bikes , to even test ride them

So, you going to ship one?
it's how magazine revues get written , the bikes are in hand.

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-27-18 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-27-18, 07:37 AM
umzug

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Downtube Mini folded size?

Hi. When I was considering different folding bikes suitable for commuter train and about 4 miles ride each way, I found this forum.

My question is this: What are the dimensions of the folded Downtube Mini (chain or belt) as it is sold now and not the earlier models?

On the product sites it show as 13" x 22" x 31.5" for both models (this is close to some 20 inch wheel folding bikes specs)
but then on the comparison chart it shows as 10" x 20" x 29" for the belt model (this is what I hope it is).

Your input will be very helpful. If you want to comment on the suitability, I am 6ft w/33" inseam, long arms and 190lb. Thanks, Um Zug
Old 07-27-18, 10:42 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Width of fold, kept to a minimum...
I also own A Bike Friday Tikit , rear hub is 135 wide
(Sachs i 9, Alfine 11 same width)

Brompton BWR half steps a wider ratio IGH,
and is no wider than the 3 speed
and they're less than 120 wide...

A Small Wheel , low trail, Bike, handles much steadier with a front load
Headtube mounted bag on Brompton,
or front pannier racks on my Tikit, work well.
I like Brompton's better.
But I have more volume available in my panniers..

Overflow in a Xooter Cross Rack bag on one ,
Carradice SQR mounted saddle bag on the other..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-27-18 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-27-18, 10:49 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Originally Posted by Khb
]fietsbob: I can read spec sheets all day and not know how the bike rides. My Stromer is a very lovely, high quality (and price ;<) bike, made in China (designed by the Swiss). So I've got no illusions about what kind of quality *can* come from China ;>
Shanghai or Taipei ?
PRC or Taiwan ROC a center of even high end bike manufacturing , now.
Old 02-06-19, 05:05 AM
timo888 

Bikes: Birdy BD-1. Change MTB. Fuji XC. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
No, it is not just you. It is, in fact, a chronic cancer, a long-standing malaise afflicting this channel. It particularly common among those whose bikes are made in, say, London or Eugene, and who, as a result of having to pay much higher prices due to higher labor costs, automatically equate higher price with higher quality. To justify the higher price, they need to establish a (specious) hierarchy on which, of course, they confer upon themselves the highest rung. The flip side of that sorry coin is a need to denigrate, smear, question (you know, Trumpist tactics) competitors or competing visions. The psychology is quite transparent, if not even understandable.
You can be wary of merchandise coming from factories in China without being xenophobic and jingoistic. Respectable manufacturing consultants from top-tier university business schools speak of the pitfalls that confront Western companies who wish to move their manufacturing operations to China, as there are many factories to choose from and QC varies greatly.