Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Best Air+Propane/MAPP gas torch?

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 12-27-18, 06:47 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 419 Posts

I was going to pick a MAPP torch from the hardware store to do some light brazing work. Relating to bikes that would be braze-ons, dent filling and rackbuilding. A little googling showed that there are more advanced or at least trade oriented " Turbo Torches" available.
https://www.amazon.com/TurboTorch-Ai.../dp/B007ICFMAG

At this point I dont have the time and space to get into an Oxygen system, but I do have an eye out for a cheap generator, just cause...

For now though, I'd like to know how far i could get with a "Turbo Torch" and Propane/MAPP?
Old 12-27-18, 08:02 AM
Nessism

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 332 Posts
I'm not a welding expert by any means but pretty sure you can accomplish what you want using MAPP gas and a standard type head. The issue with those more advanced torches that use throw away oxygen bottles is the cost of the oxygen. Last time I checked they were crazy expensive.
Old 12-27-18, 08:35 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

These torches are just propane or MAPP but have different tips. It reads like the air mixing is improved from the hardware store torches.
Old 02-09-19, 01:21 PM
bark_eater 

So I got a LP/Mapp torch heavily discounted off of Amazon, and found a local supplier for bulk Propylene. I just thought I'd link the bike project thread that the torch is hopefully the solution for. Of course with dozens of different projects running simultaneously progress is glacial.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ic-images.html
Old 02-12-19, 12:06 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Community College Jewelry / metal working classes they used household gas and industrial sized bottle of Oxygen ,

' Rosebud' tip melts nonferrous metals for investment casting (I borrowed it there for brazing my fork crown

a Jig less frame build I still use it , a light touring frame .. bike..