Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Any Experience with C15 Brooks Saddle?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-19, 03:07 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,373 Times in 720 Posts

Looking to pick up a Brooks C15 saddle and am interested in comments from anyone who has ridden this saddle. I have ridden the C17 and it is too wide. The traditional Professional is correct, however it is not waterproof. Your comments specifically related to the C15 saddle are appreciated.
Old 02-14-19, 04:38 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Handled some in the LBS

I did several international tours on my rather waxy treated Brooks team pro , in wet weather I just left the plastic bag on it..

So if you have only width issues on a C 17 because you are in a road bike posture not sitting up more , you could be OK with it.

I have A selle Italia Turbo* (made for Avocet), on one of my bikes a similar shape to the Team Pro, to my backside so I have no need to replace it..

*San Marco Rolls, is similar, Selle Italia Flite close... so butt compatible..

If you like the C 17, un padded rubber of the cambium , in the C 15 ... You can even get them using carbon fiber frame 'C 13'
and the all weather is molded with a synthetic rather than canvas top. these are canvas top.

\/

Google comes up with many professional revues , of course ..

https://www.brooksengland.com/cambium-all-weather/
Note: there is a C 13 now Too carbon frame,

Italian made, [the owners of the British company] who also make Fizik Saddles and other sruff..

(Im going the other way, sitting up more , less ambitious, now my leave it out in the rain saddle is a Fizik Vitesse ..
Pleather over foam, wider , so maybe 17 ish..
traded away a B 17 10 years ago, because of the rails .. did not let me push it back far enough..)

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-14-19 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-14-19, 05:50 PM
TiHabanero

Thanks, fietsbob. I have several Turbo saddles and find them very comfy, equal to the Brooks Pro. They have a leather top, so don't do well in the rain if left out in the elements. Suppose a bag will do the job on a leather saddle, just one more thing to think about and keep track of on a tour. Back in the day I toured on a B15n in cut-off shorts! Wasn't really all that bad until the sweat built up.
Can't convince the shop owner to bring in a C15 for demo use. Can always sell it if it doesn't cut the butter.
Old 02-14-19, 05:58 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
In Fair weather I just stuffed the plastic bag under the saddle... (Pulled it out at night as I was always straddling the Dew Point)

Spring on the Irish Coast ... [ Brooks was bought in 1975, so we were very used to each other other in 1991, .. ]

the leather does give a little , break in..

the Rubber 'no break in' can be a mixed benefit, it means it won't get better with age, too..

and the sweat has no where to go , rubber or leaving the bag on.. In my rain gear mostly, that was not much of a problem.

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-15-19 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-14-19, 07:27 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Saddles are personal...There’s no point in asking what works for others. Might as well ask other people to help you choose a favorite flavor of ice cream.

On the upside, Brooks saddles sell well on eBay. So, if you don’t like the C15 you can recoup most of your money.
Old 02-14-19, 08:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
I have used several C17s and a C13 (in the wider width) and I love all of them. I wouldn't go with any other saddle than the Cambium.
Old 02-16-19, 05:42 AM
Kai Kai

Bikes: Cannondale BAD BOY 1 (2018)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't get any of those with fabric that would stick to your pants. You would want smooth leather. For long rides, you butt adjusts for comfort unconsciously and things that are not smooth just makes that painful. If you are thinking of a Brooks saddle, you might as well go for the real deal that has worked for people for 100 years. The B17. They come in titanium but the weight penalty for a comfortable saddle is worth it, to me.
Sit bone pain was a big issue for me. Before buying a Brooks saddle, I've done some research and I find the B17 had mostly good reviews, the newer slimmer models not so much. The leather ones are the ones that molds into your butt over time. The newer ones do not. They are rubber or composite that feels like linen. What is stopping most people buying the classic? Its size and weight. Thinking of a Brooks saddle means you are looking for comfort. Why not just get the classic one?
Of course there are similar shapes out in the market from other brands. But you have to be able to try them. Leather have just enough give for bumping terrain. Just my opinion.
Old 02-16-19, 06:57 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4735 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
I had a carved version of the C13 in I think the same width as the C15. Wasn't for me -- too much bounce. Returned it.. related, see if you can find at REI who has a decent return policy.
Old 02-16-19, 04:25 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by Kai Kai
Don't get any of those with fabric that would stick to your pants. You would want smooth leather. For long rides, you butt adjusts for comfort unconsciously and things that are not smooth just makes that painful. If you are thinking of a Brooks saddle, you might as well go for the real deal that has worked for people for 100 years. The B17. They come in titanium but the weight penalty for a comfortable saddle is worth it, to me.
Sit bone pain was a big issue for me. Before buying a Brooks saddle, I've done some research and I find the B17 had mostly good reviews, the newer slimmer models not so much. The leather ones are the ones that molds into your butt over time. The newer ones do not. They are rubber or composite that feels like linen. What is stopping most people buying the classic? Its size and weight. Thinking of a Brooks saddle means you are looking for comfort. Why not just get the classic one?
Of course there are similar shapes out in the market from other brands. But you have to be able to try them. Leather have just enough give for bumping terrain. Just my opinion.
My saddles don't stick to my pants and if you have that issue remember glue goes on the paper not on the saddle. The Cambium line is nothing new it was in the Brooks idea book for many many many many many many many many years but they never released it till recently however it is one of the most comfortable saddles right out of the box that I have ever ridden. I don't have to mold it to my butt or wait to get it comfortable because it already was. If I was concerned with weight I wouldn't go Cambium either it is not particularly light but dang is it comfy.

The Cambium line also has the distinction of not needing to kill someone in order to make a saddle. A useful thing when being a good human being.
Old 02-17-19, 02:30 AM
Kai Kai

Bikes: Cannondale BAD BOY 1 (2018)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
My saddles don't stick to my pants and if you have that issue remember glue goes on the paper not on the saddle. The Cambium line is nothing new it was in the Brooks idea book for many many many many many many many many years but they never released it till recently however it is one of the most comfortable saddles right out of the box that I have ever ridden. I don't have to mold it to my butt or wait to get it comfortable because it already was. If I was concerned with weight I wouldn't go Cambium either it is not particularly light but dang is it comfy.

The Cambium line also has the distinction of not needing to kill someone in order to make a saddle. A useful thing when being a good human being.
If not, then I'm not talking about the same saddle, why are you complaining?
Stop imagining I'm offending your saddle.
Old 02-17-19, 03:49 AM
adsjax

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a C15 carved all weather, was on my road bike but is now on my gravel/touring bike. I can ride comfortably without padded shorts for a couple of hours on it. After that, even with cheap shorts I can comfortably ride all day and back it up again the day after and the day after.

Definitely recommend

Last edited by adsjax; 02-17-19 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-17-19, 06:55 AM
ph0rk

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Any of the original cambiums will eventually crack and fail (mine did in around 2 years of easy commuting). They will also abrade whatever pants you're wearing a bit faster than you'd expect, at least until you wear the canvas top smooth. I don't know if they've changed the rubber compound for the all-weather cambiums.
Old 02-17-19, 07:29 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Kai Kai
If not, then I'm not talking about the same saddle, why are you complaining?
Stop imagining I'm offending your saddle.

What saddle are you talking about then if not the Brooks Cambium? This is a thread on the Brooks Cambium and I assumed that is the fabric saddle you were talking about otherwise why post it? I never said you were offending my saddle. You were trying to claim that it sticks to your pants and I said it didn't and also mentioned good reasons not to go with someone's skin as a saddle but never thought you were offending my saddle. The only thing that offends my saddle is if I had the beans
Old 02-18-19, 12:24 PM
TiHabanero

I called my son who just spent a year racing and training on a C15 carved. The dreaded stress mark where the nose ends aft of the top front rivet has appeared. He and I weigh about the same, 230 pounds. Yes, we are work horses, not climbers. I really like the idea of all weather with the Cambium, but doubt the ability of the design to last more than a few years. The Professional saddles I have are both over 30 years old and still in one piece, and they have only seem Proofhide one time. A new Team Professional it is. Saddle cover will have to be included in the packing list.

Thanks for all of your input everyone!
Old 02-18-19, 12:56 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
I have a C17 not a C15 but I like the comfort but question the longevity of the saddle. I have four other Brooks leather saddles and I expect decades of use from them. I had one for over 30 years and it got lost in a move. I knew I should have left it on the bike......

Unless you're heck-bent on a Cambrium I'd get a B15 "Swallow" instead.