Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Tire recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-19, 09:14 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Tire recommendations

So...doing the Barry Roubaix this year...never done a gravel ride/race, other than crushed limestone paths. Would have used my 40mm Vittoria Voyager Hypers...but completely destroyed one of them with a 6" hunk of steel that ran through it. Need some gravel tire recommendations.

Currently thinking - Panaracer Gravelking SK, Panaracer Comet Hardpack, Schwalbe G One. Also considering a set of higher volume CX tires as I'll be racing a full series in the fall, and would like to replace my stock wire bead CX tires. Also wondering if my GP4000sii 28mm would hold up. They're pretty big 28s.
Old 02-18-19, 03:18 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
It depends on the weather. That time of year around here, sometimes it is a mud fest as the snow melt just makes a mess out of everything. The way these roads are maintained, its not usually the slimy mud, so you don't really need a mud tire. Something like the SK or the G-One would be fine - although it depends on how much ice melt is around making a mess.

I have those 28's on my bike for road rides. They are not very comfortable on dirt, and have no sidewall protection. I'm actually wearing my sidewall out before I'm wearing out the tread on 28mm OD tires (22mm ID). I guess I corner on them too hard for a rim that wide. If you get on a road with fresh gravel (always a possibility in the spring), it would destroy those sidewalls.
Old 02-19-19, 08:51 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
Currently thinking - Panaracer Gravelking SK, Panaracer Comet Hardpack, Schwalbe G One. Also considering a set of higher volume CX tires as I'll be racing a full series in the fall, and would like to replace my stock wire bead CX tires. Also wondering if my GP4000sii 28mm would hold up. They're pretty big 28s.
I will say that if the conditions are dry and smooth (summer time) my preferred tire is a 32mm Conti 4 season (or maybe in the future the GP5K). But that is for summer/fall riding. In winter and spring the roads get pretty rough (and soft), so I use 40mm ramblers (which have similar weight, but a little more cush and traction).
Old 02-19-19, 11:11 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
From Barry Roubaix's website:

Q: What tires should I use?
A:
Depends on road conditions, but 700×34 -38 cyclocross tires with a low tread like Panaracer GravelKings. 29 x 1.9 work good on mountain bikes
Old 02-19-19, 11:51 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Situation changed slightly. My club is putting in an order for Vittoria tires. Think I'll get a set of 40mm Vittoria Terrano Dry at a discount. Shoykd be perfect for gravel, and I'll give them a whirl for dry CX races.

I should probably do a set of tubeless wheels at some point too haha.

Last edited by Abe_Froman; 02-19-19 at 11:56 AM.