Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Ritchey Breakaway Titanium

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-19, 01:21 PM
Raxel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts

I managed to get this long discontinued Ritchey frameset to swap parts with montague hummer bike.
It's a really nice frame - very lightweight (1.6kg) and clean looking, and still can be packed into a suitcase for travel.

Old 02-20-19, 02:31 AM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
Nice option and great looking chain ring...
Its a 26" bike?
How long does it take to assemble the bike and what is its size after breaking it up?

Congrats on the purchase.
Old 02-20-19, 05:06 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Very nice. I've always thought it would be cool to have one of those.
Old 02-20-19, 08:58 AM
Raxel

Originally Posted by pinholecam
Nice option and great looking chain ring...
Its a 26" bike?
How long does it take to assemble the bike and what is its size after breaking it up?
Congrats on the purchase.
It is, but I think it will fit 27.5" wheelset with knobbies without issues.
And disassembly may take 10-15 minute - harder part is packing and re-assembly.

Old 02-21-19, 12:36 AM
pinholecam

Originally Posted by Raxel
It is, but I think it will fit 27.5" wheelset with knobbies without issues.
And disassembly may take 10-15 minute - harder part is packing and re-assembly.

Great info, thanks.
Old 02-21-19, 01:13 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Difficult to replace.

I'd be worried about damage, especially from baggage (mis)handlers.

How much does the whole bike+bag weigh?

I just get under the 20KG limit with heavy high-tensile steel folder, including tools for reassembly, and water bottles.

Last edited by SHBR; 02-21-19 at 01:19 AM.
Old 02-21-19, 02:12 AM
Raxel

Originally Posted by SHBR
Difficult to replace.
I'd be worried about damage, especially from baggage (mis)handlers.
How much does the whole bike+bag weigh?
I just get under the 20KG limit with heavy high-tensile steel folder, including tools for reassembly, and water bottles.
The bag is semi-rigid with vertical plastic insert, and you can always put extra clothings (or even foam) in the case for additional protection.
I haven't scaled the whole package, but I guess it will be slightly heavier than 10kg.
Old 02-21-19, 08:58 AM
ttakata73

Bikes: *1998 GT Forte Ti 700c, Totem KDS-D 26" fatbike, BirdyGT 18", Brompton M2LX 16"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Sweet find. This is probably one of the best travel touring bikes ever and might last forever. 7kg for a full size mtb is pretty great too.
Old 02-23-19, 07:09 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
I made a center support to use in my S&S backpack case, a couple pieces of 1/8 inch or maybe 3/16 inch plywood and two 1 inch diameter wooden dowels held in with wood screws. I included a photo of it and my folding bike in the case at this link.
https://www.bikeforums.net/20711320-post39.html

I wanted to make sure that the middle of the case had some support if baggage handlers stack stuff up on top of my bag.

If that case is the Ritchey case, it slightly exceeds airline size limits. Last spring I did an ACA van supported trip, two guys in the group had Ritchey breakaway bikes. One of them said that on one occasion an airline charged him the oversize fee but on many other trips he was not charged. The other one said he had never paid the oversize fee after many flights.

Last spring I bought a steel breakaway bike, but have not traveled with it yet.
Old 02-26-19, 02:15 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
...If that case is the Ritchey case, it slightly exceeds airline size limits. Last spring I did an ACA van supported trip, two guys in the group had Ritchey breakaway bikes. One of them said that on one occasion an airline charged him the oversize fee but on many other trips he was not charged. The other one said he had never paid the oversize fee after many flights....
I travel with folding bikes in cases a lot. Couple ideas on very slightly oversize bags:

1. Never, ever, ever exceed the 50 lb. international limit for the case. Once you do, and the agent puts the case on the scale and finds it exceeds 50 lb., it's almost a guarantee that the agent will get out a tape measure and measure for oversize. You don't want to give them an excuse to whip out the tape measure.

2. Agents are people, and they are subject to stress just like the rest of us. I try to wait until there is a wait at the counter before approaching. The chances of getting measured for oversize at a busy counter when your case doesn't exceed weight limits are slim.

In all my travels with a slightly oversize case, I've never been levied additional charges for oversize or overweight. Then again, my case has never been overweight, though close a couple times.
Old 02-26-19, 06:55 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by bargainguy
I travel with folding bikes in cases a lot. Couple ideas on very slightly oversize bags:

1. Never, ever, ever exceed the 50 lb. international limit for the case. Once you do, and the agent puts the case on the scale and finds it exceeds 50 lb., it's almost a guarantee that the agent will get out a tape measure and measure for oversize. You don't want to give them an excuse to whip out the tape measure.

2. Agents are people, and they are subject to stress just like the rest of us. I try to wait until there is a wait at the counter before approaching. The chances of getting measured for oversize at a busy counter when your case doesn't exceed weight limits are slim.

In all my travels with a slightly oversize case, I've never been levied additional charges for oversize or overweight. Then again, my case has never been overweight, though close a couple times.
100 percent agree. I had not thought of trying to look for an agent that is busier, that is a good idea, but I am a bit concerned that they could be in a grumpier mood.

A luggage scale is the travelers best friend. I have several and I have compared them against each other, they are all very very close. But airline scales always seem to add about a half pound. I aim for no more than 49 pounds per bag.

I have not yet had an oversize case, my S&S case is exactly at the limit. I can see where a slightly oversize case that is 10 or 15 pounds lighter than the limit might slide through a lot easier than one that is only ounces below the limit.

I would add that the more pleasant you are, the more likely that they will be forgiving. I try to always walk up to a ticket agent with a smile on my face and say hello, how are you today? It is not easy to do so when my flight has just been canceled, but I still try to be pleasant. I think that helps a lot. An unhappy ticket agent can make your life wmiserable if they so desire.

Also, I would not be surprised if the airline scale automatically adds the overweight surcharge without the agent having any option.
Old 02-26-19, 06:56 PM
violini

Bikes: Modern steel frame road bike, titanium cruzbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was told last year that I could have one such frame made for one thousand USD including air freight. This is the reason that I don't care for the Helix.
Old 02-27-19, 08:34 AM
Raxel

Originally Posted by violini
I was told last year that I could have one such frame made for one thousand USD including air freight. This is the reason that I don't care for the Helix.
Ritchey still makes separable roadbike frames in steel, and carbon (no more titanium, unfortunately)
And actually Dahon made a retro looking chro-mo bike with Ritchey breakaway coupling, I am not sure they are still available though. https://dahon.com/bikes/tournado/
And many custom frame builders make separable bikes with S&S couplers (with a cost) https://www.sandsmachine.com/
Old 02-27-19, 11:48 AM
Tourist in MSN

Last year Raleigh made a Grand Prix model that had the Ritchey Break Away couplers, they licensed with Ritchey to make it. I bought one. The Ritchey logo is on the top tube seat clamp even though it was a Raleigh. I wrote up some on mine at this thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/20320677-post87.html
Old 03-01-19, 02:13 AM
pinholecam

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Last year Raleigh made a Grand Prix model that had the Ritchey Break Away couplers, they licensed with Ritchey to make it. I bought one. The Ritchey logo is on the top tube seat clamp even though it was a Raleigh. I wrote up some on mine at this thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/20320677-post87.html

I was aware of this particular model, but was apprehensive of the setup/take-down time.
Opted to get a Change Bike, but as my next trip will be the end of the year, I'm waiting for their new 650B model.
Old 03-01-19, 06:02 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by pinholecam
I was aware of this particular model, but was apprehensive of the setup/take-down time.
Opted to get a Change Bike, but as my next trip will be the end of the year, I'm waiting for their new 650B model.
The coupler bikes like the Ritchey Break Away or the S&S coupler bikes do take some time to pack. You are taking the water bottle cages off the frame, if you have racks you are removing those, etc. It is not like a folding bike where you can do a quick fold to carry the bike onto the commuter train. It is more like packing a full size bike into a case for shipping, except the coupler bikes take the added time to de-couple the frame.