Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Doping

Old 02-22-19, 08:20 AM
Lemond1985

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Ullrich didn't mind, he actually ENJOYED coming in second place to Lance.
Old 02-22-19, 08:27 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Lemond1985 View Post
Ullrich didn't mind, he actually ENJOYED coming in second place to Lance.
In racing or drug usage?
Old 02-22-19, 10:24 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
That is a made up think. What is the prototypical American? Is it one that comes from Vietnam, or Mexico - or Europe?

I don't know what a prototypical European country is either. Clearly Europe needs many countries because they are so different. They are, in need of their own countries, smaller than many USA cities because, somehow they can't agree on a language, use the same currency and defend themselves.
Until then the prototypical USA will defend them.
Americans really do have a high opinion of themselves, no matter what ethnicity they're from. You're such prototypical one. You're from Socal? Ever been seen the Mexican and Filipino guys working at those Custom booth? Yep, typical ahole American attitude, and no they're not even white.
Old 02-22-19, 11:34 PM
Doge 

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 2760 Post(s)
Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
Americans really do have a high opinion of themselves, no matter what ethnicity they're from. You're such prototypical one. You're from Socal? Ever been seen the Mexican and Filipino guys working at those Custom booth? Yep, typical ahole American attitude, and no they're not even white.
I really don't understand what you are saying. So far I have not read about what countries the non-American's are posting from. Where do you live?
I don't even know what the debate is.

I typically am seen as a power crazy arrogant guy. I think that has little to do with being from the USA (grew up in Africa) and more just my personal demeanor.

Yes, I live in SoCal. I am not "from" here. I also have a CO place, and I also am not from there.

Anyway, on topic, I asserted that the view of using PEDs for cycling in Europe is different than in the USA. I still assert that. How that is an arrogant statement / ahole American attitude, I really don't know.

You are welcome to explain it.

I am a cycling fan. I go to cycling places, I take video, I talk to people, I enjoy lots of places in Europe. But the countries in Europe are different. Just in the the feed zones and spectating cycling this is obvious. Some places ignore the rules, some don't. Czech Republic is different than Germany, is different than France, is different than Belgium...

I have 1st hand experience with race promoters, officials and fans in all the above - add Italy, and Spain. So what is it I am so out of touch with?

Last edited by Doge; 02-22-19 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-22-19, 11:52 PM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
What languages do you speak?
Old 03-01-19, 06:28 AM
Rajflyboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
America is the most giving country in the world. Very charitable country that we live in.
Old 03-01-19, 07:05 AM
Lemond1985

Except to high-maintenance Frenchmen, that's where we draw the line.
Old 03-01-19, 10:16 AM
atbman

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Originally Posted by OBoile View Post
Agreed. Also, when you compare Froome's victories, which are often by less than a minute to Armstrong's which were often by 5 or more minutes it certainly makes it seem like the playing field is far more even today. Keep in mind that Armstrong wasn't some genetic freak, He was good, but no one ever thought he had the potential to be an elite grand tour rider, let alone the best ever.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find out Froome is doping but it isn't blatantly obvious as it was with Armstrong.
Reference have been made to Lance Armstrong being one of the most tested riders. I'd remind you that, in his Oprah appearance, he said that out of competition testing was virtually unknown in his day (or words to that effect). Froome, on the other hand, had been tested 70 times, in and out of competition, in the year before his first TdF win. It seems unlikely that he could have avoided detection if he was using PEDs which were against the rules. I'll cheerfully admit that, as a Brit, I'm inclined to be somewhat biased in his favour.
Old 03-01-19, 04:10 PM
Doge 

Originally Posted by avole View Post
What languages do you speak?
English
Old 03-01-19, 05:51 PM
Lemond1985

It's not nice to taunt the dead, though I suppose it's a satisfying way to get in the last word. We should have a funeral for him, or at least a wake.
Old 03-01-19, 08:44 PM
Doge 

Originally Posted by Lemond1985 View Post
It's not nice to taunt the dead, though I suppose it's a satisfying way to get in the last word. We should have a funeral for him, or at least a wake.
True, I was not paying attention.

On to Doping. All my opinions.... I've been around the top juniors in the world for a while, and some 2nd tier pros and some old timer USA hall of fame dudes and as mentioned been to many places.

-1st Duh point - everybody is not the same.
-2nd Duh point - there are similarities found within country and culture. Races in Germany are different.
-3rd - we (USA) are pretty serious about prosecuting drug offenders. I was eating breakfast with my wife looking at the door across the street and commented that the guy we often call Jean Val Jean works there - USA Olympic HQ. I think USA cycling has pretty doping free riders at the top. I even think many of the pros are, but the serious teams know how to game the system. The top riders are using drugs, legally sometimes. But they have managers that know how to do that.
Old 03-02-19, 12:46 PM
Rajflyboy

Quoted: 116 Post(s)

They should set up tent cities at the start points and that’s where riders will sleep each night and be monitored by security during the entirety of a tour.

Random greyhound bus tours after each stage to transport riders to next stage start point.

He he he

Im sadistic. Yes yes