Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Bryton Rider 310 tips & tricks

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-16, 05:09 AM
buzzykiwi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just purchased a Bryton Rider 310 and thought I'd share my experiences. There's a lot of stuff that the printed and online manuals don't cover, so I hope that my experiences will be useful for others.

Bluetooth accessories

Yes, the 310 can talk Bluetooth, but that doesn't mean you can use BT accessories. You can't. Sadly, my BT heart rate monitor doesn't (can't) work with it. Neither does another HRM that I assumed was ANT+, which pairs with a Kathmandu fitness watch. BT is only used to pair the 310 to the Bryton smartphone app.

Pairing with other ANT+ accessories

No drama there: my Giant Ridesense sensors which combine speed and cadence (on Giant TCR Advanced) paired easily and faultlessly.

The Bryton smartphone app

This wasn't easy to get going and I thought I had a faulty unit.

I first tried to search for "Bryton" on the Google Play store, for my Moto G (Android). This came up with "Bryton mobile app 2016" which I installed with high hopes. It allowed me to authenticate via Facebook and Strava and looked like it would automatically upload my rides to Strava.

The problems started when I tried to pair BT between the 310 and the phone. After entering the Pairing screen on the 310, I went into the Bluetooth setup on the phone, and sure enough there was a device called "Rider_unpaired". Unfortunately no matter what I tried to do, the phone would not pair with this device, and kept complaining about an incorrect PIN or authentication.

The "Bryton mobile app 2016" wasn't any help either: there was no preferences or options panel for selecting a Bluetooth device.

This was a complete dead end.

Next I checked out a screen I had seen in the 310's Bluetooth functions: "QR code". I had tried to scan that from the "Bryton mobile app 2016" app, thinking that it was providing a quick way to enter my 310's UUID (16 digit serial number also found on the back of the device). However the QR scan always failed and I had to enter the UUID manually.

On a whim I decided to scan the QR code with a generic QR scanner, just to see what it contained. It came up with a URL rather than the UUID. https://static.brytonsport.com/upload...s/Shanghai.apk

So here was a different app. I uninstalled "Bryton mobile app 2016", set my phone preferences to allow non Google Play Store apps, then downloaded the apk with the phone browser and executed it to install the app.

This new app looks quite different from the first one. It's called "Bryton Sports App". One of the preferences allows you to pair the Bryton 310, and this time it worked!

Unfortunately this version of the app does not sync up to Strava, but does allow you to upload (sync) any rides on the 310 up to the Bryton web site.
- tap on the Preferences icon
- tap on "Sync with Device". It will display a list of rides that are on the 310 but NOT on the Bryton web site. Select any that you want to upload and tap "Save", and it grabs them from the 310 and saves them in the app AND uploads them to the Bryton web site.

Once rides are on the Bryton web site, you can push them up to Strava:
- Go to the My Data menu and click on "My Collection". You'll see a list of uploaded rides.
- Click in the checkbox next to the ride you want to send to Strava
- Just above the list click on the button for "Upload to Strava". It will ask you to authorize to Strava (seems like it doesn't remember the authorization between sessions so you need to do this every time). After authorizing, you need to select the ride to upload AGAIN and click on the Strava button AGAIN. This time you get a confirmation panel: click on "Upload" and it will finally send it to the Strava web site.

Alternative to the 310 to phone to Bryton website to Strava upload method:

By connecting the 310 to your Mac/PC with USB cable, the 310 memory gets mounted to the computer as a USB drive. The root level of the drive contains all the stored rides, as ".fit" files. You can upload these directly to Strava as manual uploads.

Synchronisation between the Bryton app and web site

If you use "Sync with Device" in the phone app, any rides you select will be transferred by BT from the 310 to the phone app, AND will be uploaded to the Bryton web site providing you have a data connection.

If you delete a ride from the Bryton web site then refresh the phone app (swipe down in the main screen), the ride will be deleted from the phone app as well. If the ride is still on the 310 (but you have deleted it from the app and Bryton site) then sometimes it can still be available for syncing, and sometimes not – I can't work out what governs this.

Phone notifications

One of the selling points of the 310 is that once the phone app is installed and paired with BT, the phone will send notifications to the 310 regarding incoming phone calls and possibly other things.

I tested this and was delighted to see the phone number and name of the caller appearing on the 310's screen when I received a phone call. I haven't tested incoming SMS messages so I'm not sure yet if it will display the entire message or just the sender.

Mac Software

I installed the Mac software called Bryton Update Tool from the Bryton web site. This software requires the 310 to be connected to the Mac via USB. It has 3 functions:
- Update software (the OS on the 310)
- Update GPS data (not sure what this is actually used for, perhaps frequencies and locations of GPS satellites? It can't be for mapping because the 310 doesn't do mapping)
- Install Bryton Workout (installs some ".fit" files on the device which I assume are pre-packaged workouts)

The other desktop software available on the Bryton site is "Bryton Bridge 2" which doesn't work with the 310. For other types of devices it appears to provide a way to transfer route/workout files back into the device. I assume that this is unnecessary on the 310 since you can simply drag them onto the mounted USB device once you have connected the USB cable.

Cool features

I'm looking forward to using the following features:

- gradient
- max altitude and altitude gain
- barometric altitude (after relying on Strava/Android's altitude calculations for too long)
- training programmes and FTHR test that are built-in to the device
- being able to easily move the device between bikes
- notifications (geeky I know)
- the auto backlight

So far, despite the hassles I had setting up the software, I think I am going to be very happy with this unit. It cost just $NZ 170, far less than a Garmin 520. The main advantage for me in having the Garmin 520 would be for live Strava segments. Apart from that, this Bryton Rider 310 gives excellent functionality, good battery life (30 hours or so), and is supposed to cope much better with wet weather than the Garmin.

If anyone has any questions I'll try to answer them.
Cheers,
Stephen
Old 06-29-16, 06:54 PM
giraffelt

Bikes: miyata 312, cannondale synapse 105

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for the detailed report. I have been using the 310 for about two months and enjoy it, although initially I found it difficult to set up. I usually upload my data every week to the website and then analyze my ride data.
I forgot about the notification feature so thanks for mentioning it. I will give it a try-should make my wife happy since. I miss her calls with my phone in my jersey back pocket.
Old 08-10-16, 06:14 AM
kavakkoru

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,

This is my first reply in forum. Bryton app has new update today. You can sync activities to app via BT also sync with Strava as you can see in video link is below.

Old 03-29-17, 02:15 AM
nik87vr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi there, I've got a Bryton Rider 330 and iPhone but I'm not able to activate the incoming call notification... could you please help me?

thanks in advance.
Old 04-03-17, 09:09 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
One of the issues I have is the slow sync between the app and (I'm assuming) the bryton active web site after uploading my ride via Bluetooth. It seems to take well over an hour or more just to see my ride finally pop up in the app, though Strava seems to post it just about 15 minutes or less after pairing the Rider 330 and phone.
Old 04-03-17, 03:22 PM
nik87vr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by friday1970
One of the issues I have is the slow sync between the app and (I'm assuming) the bryton active web site after uploading my ride via Bluetooth. It seems to take well over an hour or more just to see my ride finally pop up in the app, though Strava seems to post it just about 15 minutes or less after pairing the Rider 330 and phone.
Try to use the wifi connection, it takes less than 30 seconds! it's the big difference between the 330 and the 310...
Are you able to see the notification for incoming call?
Old 05-11-17, 01:23 PM
alecat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for your post! i was having some issues syncing my rides to strava but now i was able to manually upload them.
Old 06-23-17, 03:45 AM
King Sirloin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a Rider 310, and it's been nothing but frustrating to work out. I want to transfer the mileage from my existing computer (220 kms) which was installed with the purchase of the bike to the 310 for servicing records but can't find an option, instruction or web search on setting the odometer. Of all it's features, have they left a simple one out?
Thanks.

Last edited by King Sirloin; 06-23-17 at 04:07 AM.
Old 08-02-17, 12:30 PM
ordiales

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
full data

My Bryton show the legend "full data" how can clean it?
Old 09-02-17, 01:07 PM
scotch
purity of essence

Bikes: 2018 Giant Trance 2, 2019 Trek Farley 7, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
Cannot set date

Hi,

I just got a Bryton 530 and the day/month is incorrect. I can't for the life of my figure out how to set the date, and I can't see anything about it in the manual or online. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-21-17, 04:49 AM
nicop

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scotch
Hi,

I just got a Bryton 530 and the day/month is incorrect. I can't for the life of my figure out how to set the date, and I can't see anything about it in the manual or online. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
I just got the same one and I have the same issue... did you manage to do it ? and how please ?
Old 09-21-17, 07:46 AM
scotch
purity of essence

Bikes: 2018 Giant Trance 2, 2019 Trek Farley 7, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by nicop
I just got the same one and I have the same issue... did you manage to do it ? and how please ?
The problem was that I'm an idiot and was simply reading the date display wrong. Sorry I can't be of more help!
Old 12-03-17, 09:56 AM
andrisdomschitz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Time setting

Hi,
My Bryton Rider 310 doesn't show the correct time nor the correct date. Do you know how to set it? I just couldn't find it.
Old 12-03-17, 09:58 AM
andrisdomschitz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Time setting

Originally Posted by nicop
Hi,
Did you find the solution?
Old 03-14-18, 04:06 PM
bikerrose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did anyone find out how to set the time and date on the Briton 310???
Old 03-19-18, 12:04 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
My Bryton 530 is frozen. I've tried resetting it (to do this, you push both buttons on the lower edge, and the power button on the right edge, all at the same time). This momentarily turns the screen off; and then it comes up with the 'start' screen (bike rider logo with the word 'Rider') which is where it's frozen. So I wait a while... and reset it again. Same thing.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Edit: I contacted Bryton support; they asked me to send the unit to them for repair or replacement.

Last edited by rhm; 03-20-18 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-03-18, 02:46 AM
dejde

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bryton freezed

Originally Posted by rhm
My Bryton 530 is frozen. I've tried resetting it (to do this, you push both buttons on the lower edge, and the power button on the right edge, all at the same time). This momentarily turns the screen off; and then it comes up with the 'start' screen (bike rider logo with the word 'Rider') which is where it's frozen. So I wait a while... and reset it again. Same thing.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Edit: I contacted Bryton support; they asked me to send the unit to them for repair or replacement.
My Bryton 530 freezed when upgraded firmware. When came from my first 2018 ride (21st of April), I synced the ride and then device asked me if I want to upgrade it which I confirmed (sync via Wi-Fi). Shortly after display freezed and I reset it (it was possible only when connected to usb) by pressing 3 buttons together (as written in Quick guide). When reset, device went to "Engineer mode" on the screen and there was nothing left to do. I contacted supplier the same day on Saturday (bike24.de) and on Monday morning they send me document for free postage to their center (very good customer service). I hope they will repair or send me a new device ASAP for free since warranty expired only 1 week after 1 year of paying (I received device 10 days after payment).
Did they repair your device or you get a new one (and how long it took)?
Regards, Andrej

Bryton freezed display after reseting (no can do).
Old 05-03-18, 05:47 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Yes, they sent me a new one. I think I mailed the device to them on Friday, it reached them on Monday, and they sent me a message toward the end of that week saying the case was closed. A new device arrived a few days later. So between when I sent it and when I got the new one, I'm guessing about ten days went by, including two weekends.

For what it's worth, the new one works better than the old one ever did; the buttons are much easier to push.
Old 05-07-18, 07:42 AM
dejde

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Yes, they sent me a new one. I think I mailed the device to them on Friday, it reached them on Monday, and they sent me a message toward the end of that week saying the case was closed. A new device arrived a few days later. So between when I sent it and when I got the new one, I'm guessing about ten days went by, including two weekends.

For what it's worth, the new one works better than the old one ever did; the buttons are much easier to push.
rhm, thx for info...As you mentioned I have the same issue with buttons- they were very hard to push (when I reset the device my fingers almost hurt me ). Regards
Old 05-09-18, 10:05 PM
Mhefner

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To set time and date formats: 1) Press center orange button to turn unit on. 2) Press left button where the menu should come up. 3) Press right button to scroll to SETTINGS, then press center orange button. 4) use right button to scroll down to GENERAL, then press center orange button., 5) select SYSTEM and press center orange button. 6) From there you can select whether to automatically adjust to Daylight Savings Time, the date format, and the time format.

The time and date are set by the GPS when you acquire the satellite signals.
Old 08-08-18, 06:41 AM
scubascuba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride not uploading on app

It's possible the app is down but my ride today won't upload to the Bryton app. It usually works fine. Usually the 310 just syncs with the app on my phone and it uploads, not today. Memory was 94% so i thought this maybe a reason so i deleted a number of rides so now 44% but still won't upload. Bluetooth seems to be working ok. Its as if the app can't see the ride on the 310 although it is there in history.

any bright ideas?
Old 08-08-18, 07:54 PM
scubascuba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scubascuba
It's possible the app is down but my ride today won't upload to the Bryton app. It usually works fine. Usually the 310 just syncs with the app on my phone and it uploads, not today. Memory was 94% so i thought this maybe a reason so i deleted a number of rides so now 44% but still won't upload. Bluetooth seems to be working ok. Its as if the app can't see the ride on the 310 although it is there in history.

any bright ideas?
Todays ride uploaded fine. It still doesn't see or upload yesterdays ride although its on the 310. A mystery of life
Old 08-12-18, 09:03 PM
Mhefner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 310 and 330 set the date and time from the GPS signal. I don't think they have a manual way to enter that data in.
Old 08-13-18, 06:21 AM
scubascuba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mhefner
My 310 and 330 set the date and time from the GPS signal. I don't think they have a manual way to enter that data in.
in settings you set the daylight saving, from memory its 0.5/1
Old 09-09-18, 12:32 PM
santi31

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, Stephen,

My Rider 310 has suddenly decided to display wrong hour ( 4h over normal ).
I have tried all possible things ( reloaded new update, reset to factory settings......) with no change.
Sometimes, when starting the device, hour is correct but it shifts again after few minutes.

Any idea ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.