Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

🍽️ What's for dinner?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

🍽️ What's for dinner?

Old 01-09-19, 07:35 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Rib Eye Steak

Pan seared rib eye steak

Serf style: cooked medium+

I know I lose points because there's no red (cut me some slack, I went by the recipe), but it still soooo tender and juicy nonetheless. Caught it on sale at $6 (2/3s off). The only way I could afford a rib eye.

Butter-Basted Ribe Eye Steak Recipe

Last edited by KraneXL; 01-12-19 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-11-19, 09:29 PM
KraneXL

Easy, Fall-Off-The-Bone Oven Baked Ribs Recipe

Pork loin ribs preparation

Pork loin ribs with sauce

Recipe
Old 01-12-19, 06:57 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
^As my wife would say, utterly disgusting. One man's meat is another woman's piggy. Now fishies, that's another story. Yumm, yumm.
Old 01-12-19, 10:49 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
^As my wife would say, utterly disgusting. One man's meat is another woman's piggy. Now fishies, that's another story. Yumm, yumm.
Well bring it on. I don't do fish (its my special treat whenever I go out to dinner), but I'm not totally averse to trying something new. That's the point of the thread. Maybe some baked or grilled salmon? But I love any sea food as long as its cooked. In any event, remind the Mrs. that there are a lot more people in the world with fish as pets than there are with pets pigs.
Old 01-12-19, 11:03 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
The ham and water thing was BOGO. The 20 1/4 lb burger patties have not been opened for almost two months, lots of chicken left and a few more assorted pork chops that were $.99 a pound in family packs at that time.

What is really important is that I've been trying to go easy on it in case DC's folly cuts food benefits to millions of us. A friend brings leftovers and home cooking. Love is the best nourisnment of all.
Old 01-12-19, 11:08 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
I know there are 4 but I only ate 3 of them. The Granny Smith are too tart so I keep them decoration. They also last infinity. Which is another reason I'm afraid to eat them.

Red Delicious: more crispy, dense peel, very sweet flesh. The quintessential apple
Golden Delicious: mellow flesh, pear-like texture, soft peel, vanilla overtones
Honeycrisp: true to its name with honey highlights, medium texture, soft peel, sweet, very juicy. This one was organic and they spoil fast.

My Christmas dinner. Should have remember the market closes early on Christmas eve.
Granny Smith is my favorite, but I'm also biased because my late grandmother was also a Smith. Other apples are for pies, they don't keep well enough for me.

And she lived near an apple orchard too, with other fruits that we canned every year.

She and my mom used to dye the pears red and green for us kids...I miss that but mom stopped canning.
Old 01-16-19, 07:33 AM
KraneXL

🍕 Pan Pizza

Mini combo pizza: 1/2 pineapple/1/2 Italian sausage

Pizza toppings

All meats pizza: honey cured bacon, Italian sausage, pepperoni, Canadian bacon, chicken, bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, mined garlic

Whole wheat pizza

I wanted to create something different that what I was used to so I used a whole wheat dough recipe. Its not a traditional pan pizza, but it a delightful change nonetheless. The crust has a crunchy nutty flavor.

Thanks Carbonfiberboy, I never would have attempted this without your suggestion.

Last edited by KraneXL; 01-23-19 at 06:29 AM.
Old 01-23-19, 06:28 AM
KraneXL

I was curious on the taste of cornbread using white cornmeal instead of the usual yellow. Taste like cake.

Actually, its a less course and lighter cake-like texture. Of course, in my standard recipe I used a 50/50 cornmeal to flour mix, so in this version to retain more of the coarseness of the cornmeal it may be preferred to use a 25/75 or 100% cornmeal mixture. Anyway, its not bad, and I will add it to the 101 cornbread recipes that I already have.

In other news, tonight's main course: The venerable (and frequently on sale) pork loin.

The Best Baked Garlic Pork Chops Recipe
Old 02-06-19, 05:44 AM
bikecopp

Bikes: Rivendell Hunqapillar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
I bought a George Foreman grill for work. Run up to Publix and grab some meat, vegetables, and salad. My favorite is salmon. Takes 7 minutes to cook.
Old 02-06-19, 10:13 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by bikecopp
I bought a George Foreman grill for work. Run up to Publix and grab some meat, vegetables, and salad. My favorite is salmon. Takes 7 minutes to cook.
Umm, I love grilled salmon. Although I've never prepared it myself. In fact no fish, unless you include canned tuna and maybe shrimp once. I generally order seafood when I go out to eat, so its my special treat. Still, you've now tempted me to try it at home, but I've got to get a grill first. I miss Publix.
Old 02-07-19, 07:44 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Umm, I love grilled salmon. Although I've never prepared it myself.

... but I've got to get a grill first.
On the stovetop, or even in the oven, you can go with a cast-iron griddle. Works just fine.

Lodge Manufacturing -- cast-iron Dutch ovens, pots, griddles. Or, if you've already got a Dutch oven (cast-iron pot and lid), you can simply bake it.

Baked Maple Salmon @ AllRecipes.com. If you like sweet. Uses a baking dish, in the oven.

Grilled Salmon @ AllRecipes.com. Includes a simple marinade for preparing the fish, along with the basic grilling procedure. Uses a grill, or a griddle on the stovetop or in the oven.

There are any number of recipes, out there, for grilling or baking fish. And various options for dealing with the oily/fatty fish types (like salmon). You can do it with a marinade, as in the recipe above. Or, you can prepare a rub like many folks do with beef cuts. Or, you could simply drizzle a bit of olive oil over it, cook it, then use lemon juice and fresh dill. Cooks easily, whichever way you do it.

Best suggestion I can make, with salmon (or any fish): get it fresh, as a whole fish, then cut your own fillets. Still, any decent fillets will work. Salmon takes well to a marinade, a rub, savory or salty, herbs, lemon/tart, garlic. Very flexible ... and the taste is hard to beat no matter which path you choose. Good stuff.
Old 02-12-19, 02:31 AM
KraneXL

Remind me to never to click on this link in the middle of a fast. 😋