Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Long Rides on a Tandem

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Long Rides on a Tandem

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-18, 09:21 AM
124Spider

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 2018 Rodriguez Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Long Rides on a Tandem

Hi,

I had been planning to do the Ride from Seattle to Vancouver plus Party (186 miles in two days, lots of rolling hills) with our adult daughter; my wife felt it was too demanding for her to want to do it.

She changed her mind yesterday, and signed up.

That's great, except now we have a decision to make on which bike(s) to use, the tandem or our singles.

She has ridden very similar terrain for as much as 74 miles, so I am sure that with proper training, she can do this ride on her single bike. She will be much slower than our daughter and I would have been, which is ok; we have all day.

We're thinking that perhaps riding the tandem would be a good idea. There are two or three significant climbs on which we will struggle (but should be able to slog out way up without walking), but the vast majority is fairly flat, on which we're much faster on the tandem than she is on her single.

In the experience of other old couples (we're mid-60s) who are fit and reasonably athletic, is riding a tandem this far a good idea, or a bad one, relative to riding separate singles?

Thanks.

Mark
Old 06-21-18, 11:33 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by 124Spider
Hi,

I had been planning to do the Ride from Seattle to Vancouver plus Party (186 miles in two days, lots of rolling hills) with our adult daughter; my wife felt it was too demanding for her to want to do it.

She changed her mind yesterday, and signed up.

That's great, except now we have a decision to make on which bike(s) to use, the tandem or our singles.

She has ridden very similar terrain for as much as 74 miles, so I am sure that with proper training, she can do this ride on her single bike. She will be much slower than our daughter and I would have been, which is ok; we have all day.

We're thinking that perhaps riding the tandem would be a good idea. There are two or three significant climbs on which we will struggle (but should be able to slog out way up without walking), but the vast majority is fairly flat, on which we're much faster on the tandem than she is on her single.

In the experience of other old couples (we're mid-60s) who are fit and reasonably athletic, is riding a tandem this far a good idea, or a bad one, relative to riding separate singles?

Thanks.

Mark
I personally would not (nor have I ever) want to be on a DF bicycle for 186 miles, no matter whether it was a tandem or not. That's why we have purchased a recumbent tandem specifically for the completion of half and full centuries and multi-day tandem rallies, etc. If you and your spouse have no issues with the distance, terrain or the time constraints, then I can't see why using a tandem to complete the tour would be in any way a "bad thing". Or a "good thing". It is simply an option, a choice for you two to make. For us there is no choice in the matter. 'J' is blind so we're taking the tandem and that is that. So "bad" definitely needs a context. For us the tandem option could never be, even remotely, a bad thing. If you are concerned about the physicality of Captaining the two of you over two days and 186 miles, well there is that, but I'm on the side of you both combining your efforts on the tandem.
Old 06-21-18, 12:34 PM
124Spider

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I personally would not (nor have I ever) want to be on a DF bicycle for 186 miles, no matter whether it was a tandem or not. That's why we have purchased a recumbent tandem specifically for the completion of half and full centuries and multi-day tandem rallies, etc. If you and your spouse have no issues with the distance, terrain or the time constraints, then I can't see why using a tandem to complete the tour would be in any way a "bad thing". Or a "good thing". It is simply an option, a choice for you two to make. For us there is no choice in the matter. 'J' is blind so we're taking the tandem and that is that. So "bad" definitely needs a context. For us the tandem option could never be, even remotely, a bad thing. If you are concerned about the physicality of Captaining the two of you over two days and 186 miles, well there is that, but I'm on the side of you both combining your efforts on the tandem.
Thanks; that's helpful.

Yes, I'm trying to find the right balance between helping my wife with the ride and not exhausting myself. I'm thinking that the benefit of the tandem on all but the steep uphills may well be more than enough to make up for the work I'll have to do getting us up hills, but I don't know.
Old 06-21-18, 01:04 PM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
My wife and I are admittedly far younger, but we find the tandem is the best tool for long rides. Inevitably on a really long ride, there will be times that each person isn't feeling their best. By sharing a bike, you'll be able to ride through those situations without having without having to meter your efforts. Even if one person bonks or cramps, the other can help in a meaningful way. There's little more demoralizing than riding separate single bikes with someone who doesn't have the energy to keep going -- and not being able to help.
My wife also finds it easier to eat, drink, and take pictures from the back of the tandem. As captain, I enjoy having unwrapped snacks handed to me. You'll both get that feeling of accomplishment by working together.
Old 06-21-18, 04:57 PM
reburns

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000; 2005 Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot; various non-tandem road and mountain bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
From my perspective, riding a tandem is always better than riding separately on singles, regardless of the distance. Yes, at least one of you will probably go slower up hills than on a single. So what? You’ll be going as fast or faster on the flats and descents, and doing it all together as a team, sharing the sights, sounds and accomplishments instead of being separated by the crowds or hills. If you find tandeming better than riding separately on short rides, the same will be true on a long ride, maybe more so.
Old 06-21-18, 05:09 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
From the standpoint of energy expenditure and leg tiredness I find a tandem to be a benefit regardless of the terrain. On the uphills it'll be slower than the faster rider on a single but still faster than the slower rider and on the flats and downhills it'll be faster than either rider by themselves.

The only caveat is that seat comfort can be an issue for the stoker due to not seeing upcoming bumps directly and reduced ability to make the little position adjustments we make while riding to relieve any discomfort. How significant that is depends on your wife's level of experience on the tandem. Has she done any long rides on the tandem? And how did she feel at the end of them?
Old 06-21-18, 09:50 PM
124Spider

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Our longest ride on the tandem to date was today, 35 relatively flat miles (700 feet of elevation gain). Her comfort was fine, given that we just got back from a long vacation with no bike riding, so we're not in the best shape. Our tandem has a BodyFloat 2.0 on the stoker's stem, which probably helps (although it make it harder for her not to bounce when pedaling with a lot of effort).

We've done a number of rides more than 50 miles on our single bikes, and I certainly like the fact that a tandem goes faster on fairly level ground than a single. Neither of us cares how slow we go up hills, as long as we don't have to walk.

We'll keep aggressively piling on the miles (and the hills, on occasion); we're becoming convinced that the tandem is the way to go.
Old 06-22-18, 05:40 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Tandem is going to better for riders with different levels of fitness to stay together. My wife and I have very different levels of fitness so rides of more than 15-20 miles on single bikes aren't much fun for either of us. For riders with similar fitness levels, I would prefer single bikes.
Old 06-22-18, 10:13 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
It depends on how you get along in each situation. Do you have much experience tandeming? If not, there could be stress between you. The same goes for riding distance on singles. If you don't have much experience tandeming, are you adaptable, or does one or both of you get grumpy when challenges present themselves? Which kind of bike do you think will present those challenges? I got our tandem to even out our differences in abilities, and it does that, but it presents different kinds of challenges.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-22-18, 12:30 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
One issue with riding a tandem long distances is that people tend to move around less on the tandem than a single bike, which leads to fatigue.

You can manage that by making a conscious effort to stand periodically, and change positions.

Ultimately it's all what you're used too. Our long ride on the tandem is 167 miles Cross Florida (one day).
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-22-18, 12:54 PM
124Spider

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
We only bought the tandem six weeks ago, and we were away for three of those weeks. But we're riding a lot (have well over 300 miles on it), and we will continue to ride it preparing for the long ride.

I'm not worried about our skills on the bike, or about our communication; we're doing well, and we have two more months to learn. I am becoming convinced that the benefits of the tandem (faster with less effort on level ground; evens up our strength, so she can "keep up" without killing herself) well outweigh riding separately.

We'll be stopping once an hour (or perhaps a bit more often) to move, and give our butts a break. And to hydrate and eat (there's some support on the ride, and we'll be going through small towns regularly, where we can get more fluids and chocolate).

Thanks; this has been helpful.

Mark
Old 06-22-18, 01:40 PM
Alcanbrad

Bikes: '14 CoMo Carrera, '11 CoMo Primera co-pilot, '98 Santana Visa, a Plethora of road bikes, A commuter/Gravel beast (and 1 MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 38 Posts
Given that your partner has done long rides and "signed up" is a positive indicator that you both have the attitude to do the ride. I don't know how much time for training you have, but I would recommend a few of things. First is to work up to a ride of about 80% of the longest day. If you can make it through that, your chances of making it is pretty good for you two. Second, consider hydration and ride re-fueling carefully. Have a strategy and don't try new products or a new approach for the first time on the ride - make sure it works for you before your event, and finally, if you are not sure, line up a rescue ride that can pick you up and take you home after the first day. Sometimes knowing that you have the option will offer some stress relief during the ride as well as stoke your ego's not to use it.

Finally, use one of those sage sayings I often tell my stoker, as well as others when they are feeling low: "No matter how good or bad you feel, don't worry, it will change." (it's useful to say this outside the context of the event then only pull it out when someone is hurtin'.)

Good luck
Old 06-23-18, 12:01 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by 124Spider
Our longest ride on the tandem to date was today, 35 relatively flat miles (700 feet of elevation gain). Her comfort was fine, given that we just got back from a long vacation with no bike riding, so we're not in the best shape. Our tandem has a BodyFloat 2.0 on the stoker's stem, which probably helps (although it make it harder for her not to bounce when pedaling with a lot of effort).

We've done a number of rides more than 50 miles on our single bikes, and I certainly like the fact that a tandem goes faster on fairly level ground than a single. Neither of us cares how slow we go up hills, as long as we don't have to walk.
I can't see any way not to do lots of walking in 186 miles of Pacific Northwest awesomeness with the stock 52/42/30 triple on your Rodriguez. Did you change it yet? Have you at least done, say 50 miles of the proposed course route to see how she climbs in anger? As far as bouncing suspension posts goes, its kind of counter-intuitive, but the sweet spot for setting these things, and if they are any good at all they will have adjustable pre-load, well the magic happens when you set it so that it is juuuuust short of being completely locked out. Well #%$^ why use a suspension seat post at all then? Indeed. Why? We don't. But seriously, tighten that adjustment so it barely moves in normal riding. Only the biggest hits need to be softened.
Old 06-23-18, 10:09 PM
124Spider

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
We now have 53/39/26 chain rings, and 11-34 rear cassette (changed from 53/42/30 and 11-32). We've done some long, severe hills, and believe that we should be able to get up any of the hills for this ride (slowly, yes, but pedaling up). And we will do lots more rides, including some long, steep climbs.
Old 06-26-18, 06:19 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
TWOgether on the tandem!i
We are now ages 85 and 83 and still ride TWOgether about twice a week, not as far and not as fast . . . but still out there doing it!
Ridden 100+ centuries, hundreds of events and dozens of tandem rallies and over a quarter million miles as a duo and are now on tandem #5 .
Get out there and double your fun!
Pedal on!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 06-26-18, 08:28 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Oh for goodness gracious, ride the tandem. As zona points out, it's twice the fun. On the flats, it's only 2/3 the work for the same speed. We're done double centuries on ours and RAMROD, 154 miles and 10,000'.

On event rides, we stay away from single bikes and prefer to ride by ourselves or with other tandems if possible. There will be other tandems on RSVP. Be on the lookout for new friends!
Old 06-26-18, 08:31 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by zonatandem
TWOgether on the tandem!i
We are now ages 85 and 83 and still ride TWOgether about twice a week, not as far and not as fast . . . but still out there doing it!
Ridden 100+ centuries, hundreds of events and dozens of tandem rallies and over a quarter million miles as a duo and are now on tandem #5 .
Get out there and double your fun!
Pedal on!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
So great to hear from you! I haven't seen a post in a while and we were a bit worried. Good to know you're still at it. We're now 142 and you give us hope for the future.
Old 06-27-18, 07:02 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
...On event rides, we stay away from single bikes and prefer to ride by ourselves or with other tandems if possible...
That's because it's basically impossible for singles and tandems to ride together if there are any hills at all. I rode a 300k on a single with a couple on a tandem last month, and every time it got even a little hilly we couldn't stay together. Tandems are so much faster downhill and so much slower uphill.
Old 06-27-18, 09:56 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
I hope my wife and I continue to improve on the tandem. We are in our third year of tandeming, and we have been improving. I'm disappointed every time we take a ride and she chooses her single. But I leave it up to her. On Sunday, we did a big group ride, the Tour De Kingston, in Kingston, NY. We did a hilly 25 mile route. It was darned hard for her, and she was pretty wiped out at the end, and I wonder how we would have done on our tandem. But I also respect her because she wanted the challenge. Perhaps she feels the single bike builds her strength better. That could be. I'll ask her. Captaining the tandem is very challenging for me, and my stamina runs out sooner than on a single.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-27-18, 10:26 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by kingston
That's because it's basically impossible for singles and tandems to ride together if there are any hills at all. I rode a 300k on a single with a couple on a tandem last month, and every time it got even a little hilly we couldn't stay together. Tandems are so much faster downhill and so much slower uphill.
Some tandems are faster than others . . . I'm a pretty good tandem wheel-sucker on my single. There are many good wheel-suckers out there. OTOH, it's impossible to pull a tandem, no matter how good a single rider you are. The weight and thus momentum make them react very differently to terrain. Most good tandem teams will wind up pulling a train on an event ride. Advice to singles riders: never pass a tandem at or near the top of a hill. Really bad form.
Old 06-27-18, 10:35 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by noglider
I hope my wife and I continue to improve on the tandem. We are in our third year of tandeming, and we have been improving. I'm disappointed every time we take a ride and she chooses her single. But I leave it up to her. On Sunday, we did a big group ride, the Tour De Kingston, in Kingston, NY. We did a hilly 25 mile route. It was darned hard for her, and she was pretty wiped out at the end, and I wonder how we would have done on our tandem. But I also respect her because she wanted the challenge. Perhaps she feels the single bike builds her strength better. That could be. I'll ask her. Captaining the tandem is very challenging for me, and my stamina runs out sooner than on a single.
We've found that stokers who are weaker than their captains improve faster as stoker than they do on their singles. OTOH, their single bike handling gets terrible after continually stoking for a while. So it's a big decision to take up stoking seriously. Stoker gets stronger, team has great fun, but stoker is kinda stuck in that seat. One of our group's best stokers broke her arm on her single in a descent in Spain. Wasn't used to judging her line anymore was what she said. I've known stokers to run straight into a curb on their single. On the 3rd hand, many captains are more expert bike handlers than their stokers. I know potential stokers who've been injured on their singles who would not have been injured had they been stoking for their SO.

My wife and I match HRs on our tandem. She sees my and her HR. I see only mine. She gets plenty of workout!

It can be a tough decision.
Old 06-27-18, 10:43 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Some tandems are faster than others
My point doesn't really have anything to do with the strength of the team. I was riding with a solo RAAM finisher and his wife, so it was a pretty strong team. As soon as it got steep, I wasn't able to keep up with them downhill anymore and needed a big uphill to catch up. If I happened to be with them at the start of a big uphill, it was hard to ride as slow as they had to go, and if they got ahead of me on a downhill with no uphill for me to catch up, I didn't see them until the next control.
Old 06-27-18, 11:04 AM
colotandem

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
snip... Advice to singles riders: never pass a tandem at or near the top of a hill. Really bad form.
This x1000
Old 06-27-18, 11:25 AM
diabloridr

Bikes: Co-Motion Macchiato, Calfee Dragonfly, Ancient Sun Fixie, Trek 5900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
OTOH, it's impossible to pull a tandem, no matter how good a single rider you are. The weight and thus momentum make them react very differently to terrain.
I'm going to politely call BS on this, at least in certain circumstances.

We've done rides where beloved stoker and I were on the Co-Motion riding with our friends on singles. All either race, or did in the past, and are therefore pretty savvy at riding in groups and understanding paceline behavior. Most also have tandems in their quiver, so they understand the physics of the big bike.

The tandem did the bulk of the locomotive work, but when weakness was detected either on the flat or gradual uphills, a couple of singles would come forward and position themselves to shield the tandem from wind.

It's pretty cool when you can ride with savvy people.
Old 06-27-18, 11:53 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
It's all just personal preference. I've ridden a tandem on quite a few 400k & 600k rides, and have friends that routinely do that as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.