Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Any other old timers enjoy riding slow?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Any other old timers enjoy riding slow?

Old 01-27-19, 08:38 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by ogmtb
"A lot of riders get too worked up over how fast a pace they can keep and miss everything that's going on around them."

How did you determine that a lot of riders get worked up over how fast a pace they can keep? Did they tell you? Did you ask them? Did you read their minds to determine what they were thinking and why they were thinking that?

How did you determine that those riders miss everything that's going on around them? If someone was missing everything that was going on around them wouldn't that, at the very least, lead to constant collisions? Did they tell you? Did you ask them? Did you read their minds to determine that they were missing everything?
How do I know people that ride fast miss things around them. Experience. Several times I have been forced off the local trail by "fast" riders with their heads down staring at their front wheel. If they couldnt see me coming at them on the MUP how can you tell me that are not missing things on their ride.
Old 01-27-19, 08:42 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by GeezyRider
This is why I generally prefer to ride alone. Riding with another person or a group can be fun, but it does require more effort. Sometime it has been well worth the effort and sometimes it hasn't.
I ride alone. With nobody else. You know when I ride alone ... I prefer to be by myself.
Old 01-27-19, 08:59 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by balut bandit
I'm sure that's how you felt but your irrational fear of being hit by one of those "DF riders" on a MUP certainly colors your perception of the actual risk.

The simple fact is that folks aren't out there "cranking along as fast as they can with their head down watching their front wheel." That's just another wacky, false, supposition that's a result of your well-established recumbent tricycle bias and general animus towards folks who enjoy riding normal bicycles.
Sorry I didnt and dont feel fear. While it no longer happens to me since I now ride a bent or trike, I remember the days on a DF riding in the drops due to wind I WAS staring at the front wheel and missed things I should not have. To say other wise is just blowing smoke.
Old 01-27-19, 05:02 PM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Is 55 an 'old timer'? This is he 1st year it hit me: Lately I just can't keep up with my buddies, who still race cyclecross & MTBs. Not I - my power is way down & quit racing last year.
So instead of training, I'm just riding solo. Mostly because I don't know anyone slow enough to ride with.
True to the saying with training: "It never gets easier, you just get faster", it's also true with de-training "it's still going to hurt, except now you're slower"
Old 01-29-19, 12:47 AM
CapCrunch

Bikes: 2014 Novara Safari 2008 Jamis Satellite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride twice a week with a group of seniors, most of whom are in their 70s and 80s with two in their 90s. Being in my late 60s, I'm considered a whippersnapper. The average speed is a pretty consistent 12 mph. We stop halfway during each ride to have a coffee or tea and just socialize. Only a couple of the fellows wear bike shorts/jerseys.

Recently, the group allowed a couple of guys in their early to mid 60s to join in and they are both strong riders who use Strava (sp?) to monitor their rides. The newbies are very respectful of the group and will take off on their own for an occasional segment where they feel the need to ratchet things up for a while and then return to the group and resume our moderate pace.

Several of our routes are favored by bike clubs who train for speed and endurance and we are left in their wake. There's no animosity though. They're doing their thing and we're doing ours. Even at our modest pace, we still have guys go down on a fairly regular basis (broken hip, leg, ankle, torn rotator, etc.), so it's good we're not going any faster. I have to say they're a bunch of tough old birds and I'm impressed when they just climb back in the saddle and gut it out for the rest of the ride.

Biking is a great activity and there's plenty of room to accommodate riders of varying ages and speeds.
Old 01-29-19, 04:58 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by IronM
Is 55 an 'old timer'? This is he 1st year it hit me: Lately I just can't keep up with my buddies, who still race cyclecross & MTBs. Not I - my power is way down & quit racing last year.
So instead of training, I'm just riding solo. Mostly because I don't know anyone slow enough to ride with.
True to the saying with training: "It never gets easier, you just get faster", it's also true with de-training "it's still going to hurt, except now you're slower"
I'm sorry to say that you're not slower because you're 55. You're slower because you stopped racing.
Old 01-30-19, 01:17 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I'm sorry to say that you're not slower because you're 55. You're slower because you stopped racing.
oh man

I will ride fast as I can though I’m only 62.

A few years back in town I saw a paceline of 6 male and female riders in full kit riding the drops. My best guess is they were all near 80. Impressive really.

I will ride the Criterium Series forever.