Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Guess I *won't* be going tubeless

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Guess I *won't* be going tubeless

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-18, 01:03 PM
Caveman Grog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, what you are saying makes good sense and follows what I am thinking about pressures. Proof pressure would have to be well above stated maximum for the sake of safety. Manufacturers liability alone would necessitate this.
Old 10-11-18, 01:53 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by Caveman Grog
I’m unable to find that specific information. This is information I learned about tire pressures in the 90’s, I recall reading that. While tires do have their maximum rated pressure listed on the sidewall, it would be quite perilous if that were the limit at which the tire would hold together. There are several
variables at work between ambient temp, braking, and rider weight. Though very informal here is a link to a YouTube video of someone trying to see how much pressure a tire would take before bursting. Have a look at this. youtu.be/SDLVBPspSK4
Here's that video. I wouldn't put too much stock in it however. Operationally, you might get away with it but, generally speaking, the limits set on tires are relatively hard. Some tires...individual and brands...won't take more then the nominal pressure. And, from the standpoint of tubeless, tubeless tires' maximum pressure is significantly lower. See the above discussions for details.

Originally Posted by Doug5150
His test has the tire bursting at about 220 PSI, which agrees with the only other instance I've seen.

EDIT: I found the old video,,, they changed the beginning part?

This video (on the "How It's Made" UK TV show) shows a Schwalbe MTB tire bursting at about 16 bar (240 PSI). Go to the 4:57 time mark, that's where the bursting test is shown.

-----

In modern times the practical limit of tire pressure is not so much the tire construction as the rim... It should be possible to make a bicycle tire that could withstand ~400 PSI but no rim could take that.
It's not difficult to find examples of people seeing road bike rims split with higher pressures (120 - 150 PSI).
This problem gets dramatically worse with fatter tires. With some MTB rims, the max pressure they give for 3" wide tires is only ~40% of what they give for 2.2" wide tires.

Quibble. The video say that "tires must withstand 8 pounds per square inch" and "this one took more than 20". Both statements make no sense. However looking at the gauge, the units used are bar or 1 atmosphere or 14.5 psi. 8 bar is 116 psi and no dimensions are given for the tire. 20 bar is 290 psi, which is impressive but, as you said, the rims aren't that great a pressure vessel. It's probably not a good idea to try to push that limit by too much since there are a number of other variables to consider.

And, again, tubeless tires have their pressure rating reduced because of the rim/tire interface.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-11-18, 02:48 PM
sirkaos

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Expert, Surley Karate Monkey 29er hard tail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
No I don't have any proof other than my experience and what I've seen of others. However, since what we're discussing here is essentially science and not math, one cannot prove anything. One can only disprove, but I digress.
In the mtb world, there are lots of examples where a tubeless tire burp and pop out of the rim, even at low psi. And you raised up the question of safety, which is precisely one of the OP central concerns when posting this thread. But do you have any evidence (not proof) to back up your claim about the Schwalbe Pro One's performance? I ask in an honest way and not out of sarcasm or anything. Lots of guys go tubeless and I hear a lot of claim better "performance" this and that, yet I have yet to see anything remotely resembling evidence. Could you explain how tubeless tire gives better grip when grip is dependent solely on the rubber type and not tire type? Guess what, the cheapest Schwalbe Pro One in 25c anywhere online is like $63, not exactly cheap. But hey if that's what gives you better performance, then who am I to argue.
My observations as follows:
When I went from the aluminum rim DT Swiss R470 with Conti's 4000 II (Which a lot of people here swear by and I was very satisfied with), then I went with the Reynolds Assault wheels and 28C Schwalbe Pro Ones tubeless set up.

We have a steep decent nearby that is twisty 6-10%. I improved my times over the decent by about 8 seconds. Which for me was significant. The funny thing is that I thought I was actually going slower on my descents because everything felt so smooth and predictable in the line I chose while descending. I am a big guy and weigh 205 lbs. Very tall on a 64 cm frame, so I would say I have a higher center of gravity that the average serious road biker. In my opinion, this puts even more stress on the rims and tires. No problems at all. I feel very confident with my setup.

Recently I had to send back my Reynolds rear wheel for a repair, and went back to my old set up, OMG what a step down. I noticed immediately less line control on the descents, more rolling resistance, and I had two flats on one 50 mile ride. I ride at 5psi less on the tubeless. I ride very hard on the descents since I need to make up time on that, since I am less of a climber.
Old 10-11-18, 04:27 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by sirkaos
My observations as follows:
When I went from the aluminum rim DT Swiss R470 with Conti's 4000 II (Which a lot of people here swear by and I was very satisfied with), then I went with the Reynolds Assault wheels and 28C Schwalbe Pro Ones tubeless set up.

We have a steep decent nearby that is twisty 6-10%. I improved my times over the decent by about 8 seconds. Which for me was significant. The funny thing is that I thought I was actually going slower on my descents because everything felt so smooth and predictable in the line I chose while descending. I am a big guy and weigh 205 lbs. Very tall on a 64 cm frame, so I would say I have a higher center of gravity that the average serious road biker. In my opinion, this puts even more stress on the rims and tires. No problems at all. I feel very confident with my setup.

Recently I had to send back my Reynolds rear wheel for a repair, and went back to my old set up, OMG what a step down. I noticed immediately less line control on the descents, more rolling resistance, and I had two flats on one 50 mile ride. I ride at 5psi less on the tubeless. I ride very hard on the descents since I need to make up time on that, since I am less of a climber.
it sounds like you love the Pro One, then stick with it. But me, no. I have 4 bikes, and I ride big mountains twice per weekend, and sidewall slashed by sharp rocks is thing I expect to happen. I carry a few tire boots with me for these rock slashes, and saved many people with them. A slash less than an eighth inch on the sidewall of a tubeless tire and it's gone, and even if a sidewall cut seals itself, I wouldn't want to continue riding it once home. It's a lot less painful to throw away a perfectly fine $30 tire with a sidewall cut than a $63+ tire with the same cut.
Old 10-11-18, 05:19 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Here's that video.
Wow. The lighting was terrible. Was that a mountain bike tire? That would make the test even more impressive. It didn't blow until 220 psi; and even then it didn't blow off the rim, the carcass failed.
Old 10-11-18, 08:38 PM
Doug5150

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute

Quibble. The video say that "tires must withstand 8 pounds per square inch" and "this one took more than 20". Both statements make no sense. However looking at the gauge, the units used are bar or 1 atmosphere or 14.5 psi. 8 bar is 116 psi and no dimensions are given for the tire. 20 bar is 290 psi, which is impressive but, as you said, the rims aren't that great a pressure vessel. It's probably not a good idea to try to push that limit by too much since there are a number of other variables to consider.

And, again, tubeless tires have their pressure rating reduced because of the rim/tire interface.
In that particular video, I would assume that the script had the units mistake. The announcer spoke of "PSI" when the gauge being shown was in atmospheres. And he said "it must withstand at least eight, ,,, but this one holds nearly 20". Well, it only held about 16 bar. That is quite a bit less than 20 bar, but still far beyond the maximum inflation pressure on the sidewall.

I would generally assume that a tire would need to be able to withstand at least 15% - 20% over its inflation pressure, since if the tire were inflated to its maximum pressure and then loaded with a lot of weight, it could get pushed down "flat" on level ground--at least until the rim caused a pinch flat. So you would expect some margin beyond the amount of pressure increase of being pushed to the maximum sag at maximum pressure.

Companies today don't like to talk about such product limits openly; I suppose it is just a general liability concern. Up until about the 1950's you could find general technical reference books that spoke about this stuff (informally) but after that companies began to keep such information confidential.

A similar question is what is the maximum speed that a bicycle tire can withstand? Battle Mountain streamliners are approaching 90 MPH these days when conditions are good. Production velomobiles can regularly hit 60+ MPH on mild downhill runs.
Informal testing by third parties has shown that most of the name-brand tires can withstand brief periods of over 150 mph.
A few people have build motorized bicycles that can reach over 100 MPH and they use normal bicycle tires, although the couple people I have read of admit that they don't tend to run for very long at those speeds.
I'm 100% certain that all the big bicycle companies have tested at least some of their tires for absolute speeds, but they refuse to state anything publicly.

I have yet to see any information about tubeless tire pressure limits being lower than clincher tires. I would suspect that tubeless limits are lower, if they were using kevlar beads and the clinchers were using steel beads.
Old 10-11-18, 09:02 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
My tubeless tires come in two varieties: the lucky, and the unlucky. Or more precisely, those that live to the point where threads start fraying out of the carcass, and those whose lives are tragically cut short by screws, glass, jagged hunks of metal, etc. I experience nothing in between. I've lost a tire with less than 200 miles on it, and I've had tires last 4,500 miles. I'm currently approaching 30,000 tubeless miles. They're not perfect-- but neither are clinchers, and neither are tubulars. They're also not for everyone. But myself, I would personally much rather spend the time fiddling with tires in the warm and dry confines of my workshop, than out on the side of the road. And in all but a handful of cases, tubeless has been successful.

One afternoon I hit a pothole that was hiding in a shadow-- hit it on a descent at about 35mph. The rim was knocked out of round, and a 2" section of brake track on one side caved in about 1/4". Not only did tire did not unseat, it didn't even lose any pressure. The rim is junked. While I can't say how a tubed clincher would have fared, I have to assume not as well.

I don't waste time on armchair analysis. I don't concern myself with what-ifs. Tubeless works. In my case, it's worth the "hassle." I just swapped a rear tire in about 15 minutes total, from removing the wheel from the bike to putting it back on. It's not that hard. Anyone who thinks it is should I dunno... take up horseshoes. Maybe lawn bowling.
Old 10-11-18, 09:21 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 116 Posts
The last few posts have an issue with definitions. Maximum pressure a tire is able to withstand before carcass failure is not the same as maximum pressure before bead failure. It is well known in the mountain bike community that tubeless tires have significantly lower maximum and safe pressure than when tubed. Part of this is the less secure internal bead/bead seat connection and part is that as the inflation pressure increased the side pressure on the bead spreads the rim apart.

Here's an example of a tubeless bead failure: https://janheine.wordpress.com/2017/...road-tubeless/

I'm amazed that he actually did the test, posted it on his site and has left it up. The maximum tubed pressure is 90 psi and the maximum tubeless pressure is 60 psi. Tubeless, the tire blew off at 108 psi which appears to be a reasonable safety margin. What's most surprising is that the tubeless max of 60 psi is held to the same for all size tires of tubeless compatible tires 35mm through 55mm wide. This is almost certainly incorrect as the casing tension on larger tires increases significantly at the same PSI. Guy report in the gravelbiking forum back a few months ago that he had a tubeless 44mm compass tire blow off the rim at 50 psi. It's almost a certainty that this was due to the pressure rating being too high. Stan's rims, which are slightly larger than "normal" tubeless rims, rates the max PSI for 1.7"/44mm tires @45 psi. Smaller normal tubeless rim and 50 psi is right above blow off range, which is what happened.

Anyway, this is all rambling to say that tubeless tire pressure limits are well known to be lower than tubed tire pressure limits.
Old 10-11-18, 09:22 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat

Anyone know what solvent to use to remove Stan's sealer without removing paint?

-Matt
Stan's will come off your frame with soap and water. Reesorting to a 'Solvent' first way of thinking makes me question everything involving the tubeless failure!!!!!

As in if it is 'Solvent' first, then I can assume that more air was the answer to loosing air! like 10 psi loss on a 2 hour ride, so you came home and 'put more than enough' in it so that it would ' be enough' when you went to ride next, but you found your tire blown off the rim.

Now moving past the 'Solvent' way of thinking, since soap and water will remove Stan's from your frame. What do you think soap and water will do to Stan's trying to seal your Rim tabe, bead, blah blah**********?? You know the soap and water you used to mount the tire?

don't take it personal, but I am pretty sure that outside of compatibility issues with tubeless tire/rim, the largest factor in tubeless failure is human failure. This theory is built on the fact that even with clincher tires, a mast majority of the people go over board on PSI, be it bicycles, lawnmowers, trailers, cars, trucks, etc...
E.G tells coworker you probably don't want to be using that 12 point with impact on your lugnut. ""He's don it before" he says, 2 Minutes later $%^$$%#@ it stripped! uh yeah the first time apparent rounded your lugs which is why we don't do 12 points on lugnuts with impact guns. He spent the next hour badmouthing China made sockets and lugnuts.

Likewise I don't think tubeless gets a fair shake.

and then comes the other twist. (for people that commute) people don't commute on tubular tires, so what makes them think that they can commute on a high performance tubeless? like sealant is magic or something?
Old 10-11-18, 09:34 PM
Caveman Grog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tubeless pressures

I would be ver interested to see any supporting information stating that tubeless tires require lower pressures. Especially because of the bead/rim interface. This could hardly be further from actuality.
To at least partially satisfy my curiosity I looked on the sidewalls of a Hutchinson Atom Galakitc and it’s max is 125 psi. The sidewall of Schwalbe Pro One’s is marked for 120psi. This is right in line with maximum inflation for most standard clinchers.
The bead rim interface definitely is no limiter to inflation pressure. Tubeless road tires use carbon beads that will not stretch in comparison to Kevlar in a standard folding clincher. The bead of a tubeless road tire locks into the bead hook of a true tubless compatible rim and will require some force to unseat. This ensures the tire would stay on the rim in the event of a total loss of pressure. As I listed in an earlier post, this is one of the benefits that Hutchinson touted in print ads as a real benefit of tubeless technology.
A true tubeless rim and tubeless tire blend many of the benefits of tubulars and clinchers with virtually none of the drawbacks. Basically, one can treat a tubeless tire just like a tubed clincher except it also has the ability to run at lower pressures but can easily handle high pressure with no ill effects. Obviously I hope I never experience a bad experience similar to some that have been described but I can draw on over a decade of experience running tubeless tires and wheels and will not likely ever use clinchers again.
Old 10-11-18, 09:44 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by Caveman Grog
The bead of a tubeless road tire locks into the bead hook of a true tubless compatible rim and will require some force to unseat.
Yet a large number of people are riding/racing Hookless bead wheels and doing so tubeless, (lower psi) and Listen...............................?

Do we hear them having problems with Tires blowing off? *Crickets*
Old 10-11-18, 09:48 PM
Spoonrobot 

A true tubeless rim and tubeless tire blend many of the benefits of tubulars and clinchers with virtually none of the drawbacks. Basically, one can treat a tubeless tire just like a tubed clincher except it also has the ability to run at lower pressures but can easily handle high pressure with no ill effects. Obviously I hope I never experience a bad experience similar to some that have been described but I can draw on over a decade of experience running tubeless tires and wheels and will not likely ever use clinchers again.
You certainly have not been running road tubeless for a decade. There have not been road tubeless tires or rims extant for most of the past 10 years. And this "carbon bead" you keep bringing up only came about in the last year or two anyway. There is a ton of supporting information for tubeless tires having lower max PSI than tubed, spend a few minutes on google. It's obvious from your other posts you already know how to do this.
Old 10-11-18, 09:49 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,032 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
Stan's will come off your frame with soap and water. Reesorting to a 'Solvent' first way of thinking makes me question everything involving the tubeless failure!!!!!

As in if it is 'Solvent' first, then I can assume that more air was the answer to loosing air! like 10 psi loss on a 2 hour ride, so you came home and 'put more than enough' in it so that it would ' be enough' when you went to ride next, but you found your tire blown off the rim.

Now moving past the 'Solvent' way of thinking, since soap and water will remove Stan's from your frame. What do you think soap and water will do to Stan's trying to seal your Rim tabe, bead, blah blah**********?? You know the soap and water you used to mount the tire?

don't take it personal, but I am pretty sure that outside of compatibility issues with tubeless tire/rim, the largest factor in tubeless failure is human failure. This theory is built on the fact that even with clincher tires, a mast majority of the people go over board on PSI, be it bicycles, lawnmowers, trailers, cars, trucks, etc...
E.G tells coworker you probably don't want to be using that 12 point with impact on your lugnut. ""He's don it before" he says, 2 Minutes later $%^$$%#@ it stripped! uh yeah the first time apparent rounded your lugs which is why we don't do 12 points on lugnuts with impact guns. He spent the next hour badmouthing China made sockets and lugnuts.

Likewise I don't think tubeless gets a fair shake.

and then comes the other twist. (for people that commute) people don't commute on tubular tires, so what makes them think that they can commute on a high performance tubeless? like sealant is magic or something?
News flash...water *is* a solvent. How you got your other assumptions from my “solvent first way of thinking” is beyond my grasp.

-Matt
Old 10-11-18, 10:00 PM
Caveman Grog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yet a large number of people are riding/racing Hookless bead wheels and doing so tubeless, (lower psi) and Listen...............................?

Do we hear them having problems with Tires blowing off? *Crickets*
I had limited my reference to road tires and wheels. Tubless road rims do not use hookless beads.
Old 10-11-18, 10:05 PM
Metieval

News flash...water *is* a solvent. How you got your other assumptions from my “solvent first way of thinking” is beyond my grasp.

-Matt
So we are suppose to believe that you were asking if it was okay to use water (solvent), or if Water would remove your paint?
Edit: I am actually surprised you got your tires mounted with water and soap, and the water didn't desolve your tires first..... /sarcasmoff

Anyone know what solvent to use to remove Stan's sealer without removing paint?

-Matt
Old 10-11-18, 10:06 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
You certainly have not been running road tubeless for a decade. There have not been road tubeless tires or rims extant for most of the past 10 years. And this "carbon bead" you keep bringing up only came about in the last year or two anyway. There is a ton of supporting information for tubeless tires having lower max PSI than tubed, spend a few minutes on google. It's obvious from your other posts you already know how to do this.
Hutchinson and Shimano teamed up in 2006 to introduce road tubeless tires and rims for the public. It is entirely possible for someone to have been riding tubeless tires on the road for 10 years. I am a relative newcomer having only used road tubeless tires for 9 years
Old 10-11-18, 11:01 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Hutchinson and Shimano teamed up in 2006 to introduce road tubeless tires and rims for the public. It is entirely possible for someone to have been riding tubeless tires on the road for 10 years. I am a relative newcomer having only used road tubeless tires for 9 years
Bicycling magazine, 12/2008

No idea of availability back then. Just found a reference because I was interested in timeline.

Last edited by u235; 10-11-18 at 11:11 PM.
Old 10-11-18, 11:20 PM
Spoonrobot 

Based on his other posts in this thread, he may have been using the tubeless systems that were around 10 years ago but there's no way he's been doing it for 10 years. His posts read like someone who had a little knowledge, left the sport and then came back to overshare a combination of things they knew and things found through furious google searching. I don't believe anyone has been using road tubeless for that long, there just weren't rims and tires available.
Old 10-12-18, 05:40 AM
superpletch
faster downhill

Bikes: more than my wife can keep track of

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by airman2482
I know of two people personally who switched to tubeless and one of them had a failure of his front tire while going down a hill at 40 mph and ended up losing control and being carted away in an ambulance.

Everything regarding his tubeless tire setup was per manufacturers suggested spec and use (tire, rim tubeless “goo”, rim strip, pressure etc etc etc)

If one Googles this subject, one would find several nasty accidents because tubeless tires on road bike failed.

Nope!

IMHO, it’s not worth it to me taking an additional risk to severe injury due to the desire of saving a few grams.

Bicycle tires and rims are not anyway near the same as rigid motor vehicle rims or tire beads.

(Mountain bikes may be a different story, one generally doesn’t go down hills at 30-40 mph, and even then I question the use of tubeless for the same reasons aforementioned)

Not for my road bike.

I ride a Trek Emonda SL7 with Bontrager carbon rims.

fake news!

tubeless tires are great, if you don't believe me google it.
Old 10-12-18, 07:53 AM
Caveman Grog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should just call me a liar

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Based on his other posts in this thread, he may have been using the tubeless systems that were around 10 years ago but there's no way he's been doing it for 10 years. His posts read like someone who had a little knowledge, left the sport and then came back to overshare a combination of things they knew and things found through furious google searching. I don't believe anyone has been using road tubeless for that long, there just weren't rims and tires available.
While it’s your right to not believe me, you have zero evidence to assert your baseless claim that I lied about the decade plus I have been on tubeless. My first pair Dura Ace wheels were purchased in 2006 and I used Hutchinson Fusion 2’s at that time. Yes there were indeed tubeless wheels and tires available more than ten years ago. I have a newer pair of Wh7850’s that have Schwalbe Pro One’s mounted to them as do a pair of Industry Nine i25’s that are tubless ready. My most recent set is Nox Composites Falcor 36, also set up with Pro One’s.
Now, I am unclear why you are saying my statements are untrue and that I’ve been out of cycling and returned. Let me restate, your assertions are baseless and incorrect. Every item of information I put forth is not fabricated and stems directly from first hand experience. You do not know me, if you want to be offensive, congratulations. If you are going to accuse me of something just stick to facts you can substantiate.
Old 10-12-18, 08:26 AM
MattTheHat 

So we are suppose to believe that you were asking if it was okay to use water (solvent), or if Water would remove your paint?
Edit: I am actually surprised you got your tires mounted with water and soap, and the water didn't desolve your tires first..... /sarcasmoff
No, I was pointing out the irony of you mentioning my "solvent first way of thinking" when the first thing you mentioned was also using a solvent. Granted water is a weak solvent, but the irony is still there.

-Matt
Old 10-12-18, 08:28 AM
MattTheHat 

By way of update, I was able to take a couple of fairly short rides yesterday after work, both about an hour each. The rear tire only lost about 1-2 PSI on each ride and the front lost about 3 PSI. I'm hoping the tires continue to seal better as time goes by.

-Matt
Old 10-12-18, 08:53 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

In that particular video, I would assume that the script had the units mistake. The announcer spoke of "PSI" when the gauge being shown was in atmospheres. And he said "it must withstand at least eight, ,,, but this one holds nearly 20". Well, it only held about 16 bar. That is quite a bit less than 20 bar, but still far beyond the maximum inflation pressure on the sidewall.
There's a momentary bounce of the gauge to about 20 just before the cut to the exploding tire.

I would generally assume that a tire would need to be able to withstand at least 15% - 20% over its inflation pressure, since if the tire were inflated to its maximum pressure and then loaded with a lot of weight, it could get pushed down "flat" on level ground--at least until the rim caused a pinch flat. So you would expect some margin beyond the amount of pressure increase of being pushed to the maximum sag at maximum pressure.
I would agree with 15% or maybe even 20%. Double is pushing it a bit for an loaded bike that is moving. The bicycle and rider weight will increase the pressure as will impacts. Momentary pressure spikes could increase the pressure enough to either blow the tire off or rupture the rim.

I would also add that the amount of pressure you can run is dependent on other factors as well. Not all tires are made the same nor can they be run over the nominal pressure. If you look around, you can find details of my long sad saga of dealing with Continental touring tires. Suffice it to say that in my experience they can't even be run at nominal pressure. I've had several blow off the rim at the 90 psi rating.​​​​​​​

Companies today don't like to talk about such product limits openly; I suppose it is just a general liability concern. Up until about the 1950's you could find general technical reference books that spoke about this stuff (informally) but after that companies began to keep such information confidential.
​​​​​​​
Can you blame them? When you have people suggesting that you can run twice the rated pressure in a tire, companies aren't going to want to cover that kind of liability. Sure engineers over-engineer their products but that's in case something unexpected happens. They don't over-engineer so that people can push the limits of whatever they make. The over-engineering in bicycle tires is meant to take care of unexpected pressure spike but it isn't meant to be a normal operating situation. If you do run your tires at over the limits, what happens when the tire experiences an unexpected pressure spike that pushes it way past the limits of the engineering?

I have yet to see any information about tubeless tire pressure limits being lower than clincher tires. I would suspect that tubeless limits are lower, if they were using kevlar beads and the clinchers were using steel beads.
Stan's says in all of its literature that you should never inflate a tire that isn't designed for tubeless over 40 psi. Jan Heine (see post 12 for link) says not to run road tubeless over 60 psi. He also makes the same argument I have made above (I didn't read his article first) about the tire/rim interface being reinforced by the tube.

As for beads, I try to use only kevlar beads, i.e. folding tires...on all my bikes. I haven't noticed a significant difference in the pressure they are able to hold for a tubed tired.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-12-18, 09:23 AM
cyccommute 

-Matt
Yes, water is a solvent but it's just not the right "solvent" for the job. As I said many pages ago, there probably isn't a right solvent for the job that won't damage the paint on the frame of the bike. If you had gotten to the mixture immediately, water would work. But after it has had a chance to dry, it's akin to removing latex paint from a wall. It's not going to be easy.

The latex is in a suspension in the fluid used for the sealant. In this case the "fluid" is a mixture of water and a glycol. Once a tube is punctured and the mixture enters the hole, the fluid is evaporated or dispersed and the suspended latex particles agglomerate and form a polymer. Once formed the polymer is water insoluble...it would be highly inconvenient for the plug to dissolve the next time you ride through a puddle. In fact, the polymer is not all that soluble in much of anything. There are some nasty solvents and solvent mixtures that have limited solubility but you wouldn't want to work with them nor could you easy get the chemicals outside of a laboratory.

Mechanical means is about the only way to strip the latex off whatever it gets on as I said 'lo those many pages ago.

Old 10-14-18, 05:27 PM
MattTheHat 

Update

By way of update, I rode for about 3 and a half hours this morning, about 52 miles. The front tire only lost 1.5 PSI and the rear only lost 3.5 PSI. The tires seem to be sealing nicely.

-Matt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.