Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Felt Speedway2

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Felt Speedway2

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-18, 07:19 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Does anyone know why my rear wheel was laced like this?
All the spokes are lined up on the chain side of the rim. Is it to keep the rim from torquing under load (accelerating/coast brake)? The front wheel is laced "criss-crossed".

Last edited by Speedway2; 10-07-18 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-07-18, 07:27 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Originally Posted by tds101
You do know that I luv this bike, and I don't think you should change a thing, right?
By adding my comments I was actually supporting your view.......btw Mastic Beach looks like a nice place to live.
Old 10-07-18, 10:50 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 591 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
By adding my comments I was actually supporting your view.......btw Mastic Beach looks like a nice place to live.
Just makin' sure,...

I'm not sure about the single sided lacing, but I see you have the rim cutouts. Those holes save weight,...I'm wondering if you can do tubeless with the holes. I'll bet the people in the "Fatbikes" section of the forum would be able to answer both questions.
Old 10-07-18, 01:45 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
I’m Anthony. I mod everything. I even keep my dads rusty schwinn from high school is ready to ride for him. With a felt 36t chainring and 22t cog that he didn’t even ask for. I only asked for his input when it came to the color of the chain. He’s mid 50’s and not as fit as he once was. So I thought the gears would help. I have to take it apart soon for powder coating.
your bike is trendy. The big wheels are a selling gimmic you said it yourself. Like when they started adding purple dye to motor oil.

Last edited by AtNjineer; 10-07-18 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-07-18, 02:39 PM
Speedway2

Originally Posted by AtNjineer
The big wheels are a selling gimmic you said it yourself. Like when they started adding purple dye to motor oil.
The wheels helped plus the fact that the LBS knocked off $500 from their normal selling price.
I just changed the oil on my bike and it did not look purple coming out or going in....
Old 10-07-18, 04:32 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

I call bs on you changing your own oil. If you did in fact change it. Then you must have at one point bought oil at some store and if you have ever bought oil or walked down the isle where all the oils are or have ever shopped for oils you would know what I’m talking about. Anyway I can’t save you. You not knowing what gears you have or how to check by counting the teeth on the cog which is the name for the gear on the back wheel and the chainring which is the name for the gear on the crank. Told me me a lot
Old 10-08-18, 05:51 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Hey OP, that bike is sweet. Love to have one myself. The only thing I would swap out is the tacky plastic chain-guard.
Old 10-08-18, 07:01 AM
Speedway2

I call bs on you changing your own oil. If you did in fact change it. Then you must have at one point bought oil at some store and if you have ever bought oil or walked down the isle where all the oils are or have ever shopped for oils you would know what I’m talking about. Anyway I can’t save you. You not knowing what gears you have or how to check by counting the teeth on the cog which is the name for the gear on the back wheel and the chainring which is the name for the gear on the crank. Told me me a lot
Been changing the oil on my Harley's for years. I only buy Amsoil direct from the Dealer so I never have to shop for it. I really don't care what you think is bs and I don't need you to save me but thanks for coming out.
Does this pic help you......
Old 10-08-18, 07:02 AM
Speedway2

Originally Posted by NoControl
Hey OP, that bike is sweet. Love to have one myself. The only thing I would swap out is the tacky plastic chain-guard.
Thanks! I was thinking the same. I'll probably just end up taking it off if I can't find a nice replacement.
Old 10-08-18, 12:35 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 591 Posts
Thanks! I was thinking the same. I'll probably just end up taking it off if I can't find a nice replacement.
Hmmm,...yeah,...that plastic chainguard does need a makeover! I can't wait to see what you do with it. Fantastic bike all the same.
Old 10-08-18, 01:43 PM
Speedway2

Wink

Originally Posted by tds101
Hmmm,...yeah,...that plastic chainguard does need a makeover! I can't wait to see what you do with it. Fantastic bike all the same.
I've decided to just spray paint it for now. IMO it looks good and I did it all by myself....no bs

Old 10-08-18, 02:13 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

I've decided to just spray paint it for now. IMO it looks good and I did it all by myself....no bs

Sweet! Now that bike looks complete!
Old 10-08-18, 04:15 PM
Speedway2

Originally Posted by NoControl
Sweet! Now that bike looks complete!
Thanks!....and thanks for the nudge
Old 10-08-18, 06:37 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Thanks!....and thanks for the nudge
Hey man, I just have to reiterate - that looks effin killer now. Well played, sir!
Old 10-08-18, 09:13 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

I liked it clear. It was cool. Wrap your chain guard in carbon fiber wrap. Kmc has a red chain that is kinda dark red. I have one. I think it will match well. I would if I were you, unbolt the felt plaque and take it to a metal or wood shop or wtvr and get a custom piece done. I was going threw downtown Los Angeles and saw a man on what I could only make out as he spoke passing me by as “Moto gorilla” or “gorilla Moto” any way it seriously looked like Tony stark himself made it and the guy I saw bought at his yard sale lol it was nuts. I hope someone knows what I’m talking about and can post a picture. To OP Are you a tall individual. My gut tells me you are. Having purchased such a large bike. How do you like the height of your handle bars. Do you think you maybe like them a little higher? Any day now myself I’m going to buy an extended quill stem. For only $15 on eBay. You might consider that.
Old 10-09-18, 05:23 AM
Speedway2

AtNjineer......I like the idea of the red chain. It would look cool. Do you have a pic of yours?
I'm avg height (5'10") and while the bike is long the cockpit is a little tight. I've tried raising the seat to get more leg extension but prefer the low (flat foot) height. The bars are just above knee level on the up stroke. I like it like that as the position it mimics my VROD with drag bars. If anything I would install the same height bars with the handles "pushed" out (flatter angle) if that makes sense.
Old 10-09-18, 09:23 AM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Ill have to take a picture. I just converted my gf 7spd front and rear cable brakes. To 3 spd with coaster brake. It’s her first bc and she always wanted the coaster brake. She don’t even know it’s called that. Your lbs might have some older schwinn handle bars. That are the same styles yours but have more rise. I have a one installed upside down on a schwinn road bike. Looks cool. I sourced some high rise carbon fiber handle bars for a bc build I’m involved with. I just learned about redshift shockstop stem and they have a high rise version. There’s not much info on it available. They don’t even have any pictures of it on their Instagram. I asked they to post some but they haven’t.

Last edited by AtNjineer; 10-09-18 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-10-18, 12:12 PM
Speedway2

Kmc has a red chain that is kinda dark red. I have one. I think it will match well.
I looked at the colored chains at the LBS. Some interesting colors and would probably look good on some bikes. However, I'm thinking a colored chain would take away from the "look" i want..... unless its a black one. Anyone know how durable the paint is on the chain?
Old 10-11-18, 08:49 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I don't doubt it's slow with that gear ratio! Though I don't know how far the throw is on the 2-speed.. Have you tried removing the rear fender to see what it looks like? I'm just a particularly noteworthy of practicality and necessity, and think that, whilst full fenders might be an improvement, that thing isn't doing much for it.
Still, it looks great. I'm not a heavy fatbike fan but the tread does give it an entirely different look than knobby ones. Have you looked for a headlight..? Or would that be silly..

One thing though, it'd be illegal here in England - we have to have a front brake too. That's probably why coasters never really happened here. The concept sounds.. interesting.
Old 10-11-18, 08:59 AM
Philphine

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
just reading through the thread but didn't notice. is the bike steel or aluminum? the fork? does felt sell touch up paint? if you could switch to a disc front hub you could weld (or have welded) a caliper mount on the front fork to get a front brake. a big 203 (or go crazy and get a 255) rotor would look good and give you all the front brake you want. maybe even switch to a sturmey rear hub for a three speed and rear disc too.
Old 10-11-18, 10:25 AM
Speedway2

Originally Posted by MikeyMK
I don't doubt it's slow with that gear ratio! Though I don't know how far the throw is on the 2-speed.. Have you tried removing the rear fender to see what it looks like? I'm just a particularly noteworthy of practicality and necessity, and think that, whilst full fenders might be an improvement, that thing isn't doing much for it.
Still, it looks great. I'm not a heavy fatbike fan but the tread does give it an entirely different look than knobby ones. Have you looked for a headlight..? Or would that be silly..

One thing though, it'd be illegal here in England - we have to have a front brake too. That's probably why coasters never really happened here. The concept sounds.. interesting.
The bike is definitely not designed for speed but in 2nd gear it actually gets up to a decent speed. The bobbed rear fender and lack of one in the front is supposed to mimic the old speedway racing bikes. I plan on keeping it the way it is. It will never see rain/puddles so there's no need for a front fender.
I've seen similar examples with the huge front headlight and would look right imo. I could have used one last night as its getting dark early these days.

Regarding the front brake...that explains why I've seen the bike in the European market with the Sturmy-Archer front drum. I was expecting mine to have the same but was disappointed that it didn't.

Last edited by Speedway2; 10-11-18 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-11-18, 10:28 AM
Speedway2

Originally Posted by Philphine
just reading through the thread but didn't notice. is the bike steel or aluminum? the fork? does felt sell touch up paint? if you could switch to a disc front hub you could weld (or have welded) a caliper mount on the front fork to get a front brake. a big 203 (or go crazy and get a 255) rotor would look good and give you all the front brake you want. maybe even switch to a sturmey rear hub for a three speed and rear disc too.
The bike is aluminum and I considered going with a disc brake but I don't think a caliper mount can be welded onto an aluminum fork(?) Maybe someone can enlighten me on my options as I'm still wanting a front brake.
At this point I'm guessing the only way to go is with a drum brake for the front. I noticed there are other options vs Sturmey-Archer but it would be nice to match the SA rear hub....

Last edited by Speedway2; 10-11-18 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-11-18, 01:25 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Aluminum cam be welded you just need to find the person with the skill and equipment to do it. Know any TIG welders? Roger
Old 10-11-18, 05:22 PM
Speedway2

Originally Posted by rhenning
Aluminum cam be welded you just need to find the person with the skill and equipment to do it. Know any TIG welders? Roger
Ok. Good to know a mount is doable! I'm guessing the average LBS aren't qualified TIG welders.
And then there's the issue of painting the weld to match.
Old 10-11-18, 08:49 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
The bike is definitely not designed for speed but in 2nd gear it actually gets up to a decent speed. The bobbed rear fender and lack of one in the front is supposed to mimic the old speedway racing bikes. I plan on keeping it the way it is. It will never see rain/puddles so there's no need for a front fender.
I've seen similar examples with the huge front headlight and would look right imo. I could have used one last night as its getting dark early these days.

Regarding the front brake...that explains why I've seen the bike in the European market with the Sturmy-Archer front drum. I was expecting mine to have the same but was disappointed that it didn't.
Oh that'd be nice, but would ruin not having a brake lever..

I have them on the front wheels of my recumbent trike and I like them, they bite like a disc but far smoother. I have another in a useless 700D size front wheel (from a GT tandem) which I plan to use on a shopper with an electric rear hub.

If you were gonna fit a front brake I think that'd be the way to go. But being cable free is probably best for looks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.