Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Front Fork Accessory Post for SUN EZ-3 USX

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-18, 01:24 PM
Dialta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently bought a used SUN EZ-3 USX recumbent, and I would like to add a few accessories to the front of the trike. Steering on this trike is USS (under seat steering), so there is no traditional front handlebar(s). This SUN has some kind of plastic "bearing" at the top of the fork. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to remove this bearing, and replace it with a traditional handlebar mount, upon which I could put a short handlebar tube, for mounting lights, GPS, mirrors, etc.? Also, can you tell me the proper name for the device that sticks down into the front fork (on a standard bicycle for instance), through which the handlebar is passed and secured. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-14-18, 06:04 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
I haven't seen your trike up close but it looks from a picture of it that it has an ordinary headset that holds the front fork in position. It's possible that Sun put a plastic plug in the opening to keep out dirt and water. If that is the case, you can install a stem which is the part that holds the handlebar. You need to know the size of the opening before buying a stem. Here's one listed on eBay for $6.55 postpaid at a store in Wisconsin that sells Sun trikes and probably can steer you to a solution. You could just use a short piece of 5/8" plastic tube in the opening on the stem for a place to mount lights and a computer. You can email or do a live chat with Wheel and Sprocket using the links at their home page https://www.wheelandsprocket.com/art...nsin-pg339.htm.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cyclists-Ch...kmX:rk:56:pf:0 An alternative would be to use a stem adapter but this only provides a vertical attachment. https://www.ebay.com/itm/UPANBIKE-Ro....c100005.m1851

bike stem

Old 10-14-18, 07:35 PM
Dialta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sun Stem

Thank you very much for your very informative post, and I will take your suggestion about contacting Wheel and Sprocket after I've measured the stem receptacle. I see several stems that appear to be the right design, and that will be the perfect resolution for a short mounting tube. Thanks again!