Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Are tandem bikes better than solo rider bikes?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Are tandem bikes better than solo rider bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-19, 04:53 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by sunnyone

I wonder how many guys would be comfortable in the stoker position if the captain was a woman.
No problem for me.
As long as they are competent.
Same applies for a male captain.
Old 01-05-19, 06:58 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by 124Spider
I think it's more "whichever way your relationship is headed, a tandem will get you there faster." If you're not good at communicating in a productive way, or if you're not good at resolving issues amicably, a tandem isn't going be a happy experience.

But when you are, it's really a wonderful experience!
One of my female riding buddies trolled for captains on her tandem for several years before she found the right guy. Now they are very happily married, crazy in love for the past several years. It works.

I just gave that advice today to another one who's been going through men too slowly and painfully. She says they always ask her to stoke for them because she's a strong rider and she's always refused. She thinks now maybe she'll take the next one up on that offer. Life's too short to suffer in a bad relationship.
Old 01-05-19, 06:59 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Tandems are great if you have someone who wants to ride one with you. Not so great if not.

My stoker and I enjoy riding ours. Together.
Old 01-15-19, 06:41 PM
Binky

Bikes: Too, too many....

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Sohaib
I've been lately thinking about buying a tandem bike for riding together with my younger brother but he thinks solo bikes are the best. Any suggestions?

Try BEFORE you buy, even if it means renting or borrowing.

I have a nice tandem that my wife has been on exactly ONE TIME.

I ride it alone sometimes.

Bink
Old 01-15-19, 07:22 PM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts

I wonder how many guys would be comfortable in the stoker position if the captain was a woman.
Not sure, but after 100K+ miles and many fully loaded tour this guy has come to the opinion that I would like to stoke. My wife is constantly scanning the scenery for birds, wildlife and those weird globe things on a pedestal in peoples yards. She is able to take in the scenery without being concerned with the road ahead and other captain stuff. She points out things that I miss, which I am grateful for. It helps to have a tandem with a longer than normal stoker compartment. Yes of course drafting helps to go further, but more important is the camaraderie.
Old 01-18-19, 09:30 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
We live in SoCal. Just closed on a house in CO.
Decided to take the tandem to CO with all the hills and keep singles here to ride on rolling coastal routes. That seems like a totally backwards was to do it, esp since I just swapped out disc brakes for rim brakes, but my wife and I both thought the same thing.

Part of it is that https://www.gardenofgods.com/ is one lot from out new place and the roads are perfectly smooth. Just there are not enough of them.
Old 01-19-19, 07:44 PM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

I am putting active effort in into making this happen, because I would like to be able to swap roles. At this time, the hurdle is non-conforming frame sizes, which means new tandem, which means a lot of money (escape route: rent a suitable tandem for a day, hopefully happening this summer). Isn't it a wonderful idea and exercise to keep swapping the role of who needs to fully trust the other person? [I'm sure this would be a wonderful thread topic on its own :-) ]
Old 01-19-19, 08:10 PM
reburns

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000; 2005 Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot; various non-tandem road and mountain bikes

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts

For me, it would depend on the woman. Just like I’d expect for a woman it would depend on the man.
Old 01-23-19, 06:17 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by IPassGas
Not sure, but after 100K+ miles and many fully loaded tour this guy has come to the opinion that I would like to stoke. My wife is constantly scanning the scenery for birds, wildlife and those weird globe things on a pedestal in peoples yards. She is able to take in the scenery without being concerned with the road ahead and other captain stuff. She points out things that I miss, which I am grateful for. It helps to have a tandem with a longer than normal stoker compartment. Yes of course drafting helps to go further, but more important is the camaraderie.
My wife hears some potential stokers saying, "I sure wouldn't want to look at his back all day!" My wife says, "I never look at his back. Why would I do that? More importantly, I also never look at the road." It's a pleasure having her along.
Old 01-24-19, 07:38 PM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
My wife hears some potential stokers saying, "I sure wouldn't want to look at his back all day!" My wife says, "I never look at his back. Why would I do that? More importantly, I also never look at the road." It's a pleasure having her along.

Great comments. I have tried to get tandem makers to consider raising the BB of the stoker position so that the stoker rides a bit higher than normal. That is, angle the bottom keel upward towards the rear. Unfortunately, the geometry is fundamentally different so they don't wish to consider. Perhaps the bike would look funky, but I still wonder if the vision benefit would overwhelm the disadvantages of a higher BB from the ground for the stoker.
Old 01-24-19, 09:22 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by IPassGas
Great comments. I have tried to get tandem makers to consider raising the BB of the stoker position so that the stoker rides a bit higher than normal. That is, angle the bottom keel upward towards the rear. Unfortunately, the geometry is fundamentally different so they don't wish to consider. Perhaps the bike would look funky, but I still wonder if the vision benefit would overwhelm the disadvantages of a higher BB from the ground for the stoker.
I think you want your combined CG as low as is possible considering crank length. I've stoked on a tandem which had the stoker's BB lower than the captain's, I suppose for this reason. The cranks were the same length, so if the captain really laid it over while pedaling, the stoker's pedal would touch first, which didn't take the bike down, just hopped the rear wheel a tad. Feature or bug? Feature, IMO.

I don't really think one wants for the stoker to see the road ahead, lest they react to what they see and do so differently than the captain is reacting. That's how teams go down or hit something. Stoker should be plenty busy with modulating effort, scenery, navigating, signaling, watering, feeding, all that stuff, which is a reason that it's fun to captain: One can just drive the bike and not worry about another thing. Safer that way, too. Big deal. We had a single rider go right into the back of a parked car while fooling with his Garmin. Broke his femur.

Yeah, tandem bikes are better.
Old 01-25-19, 04:10 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 129 Posts

I hope to say I'd welcome the opportunity to stoke for a woman up front. It just so happens to be that I'm the male of a typical male/female couple who outweighs my stoker by a factor of 2 and am eight inches taller, so we tend to conform perfectly to the typical tandem geometry where the larger rider is accommodated in front much better and the smaller rear geometry accommodates my wife better. Fits the traditional gender stereotypes? Yes. But it also conforms to function.

That said, I gained even higher respect for my stoker (who mountain bikes with me wherever I propose - be it Sierra single track or the Whiskeydrome!) when jumping on the back of a tandem for a quick test ride with a colleague. The complete lack of control and sightlines made for an uncomfortable experience - and we didn't do anything close to resembling fast or challenging. All hail our awesome stokers!

Although I don't consider myself the typical "control freak," I realize I've probably been conditioned more in that direction than I'd like to admit. And that said, I'm (usually) happy to let my wife take the wheel in the car and have the utmost confidence in her driving ability. She's a former commercial driver who regularly put chains on her vehicles in the snow. Petite and cute, she surprised many a male chauvinist with her vehicle knowledge and skillset. Sharing duties four wheeling in a Jeep in Moab made me appreciate her skills even more. (My only real complaint with her driving is her passivity behind the wheel. Nowadays, if you aren't aggressive behind the wheel in the Bay Area, you are forever being cut in front of by aggressive and selfish drivers who can't be bothered to follow the rules of fairness by getting in line with the rest of us and using signals to politely show your intent to others behind the wheel.)

So yeah, I'd like to say I'd welcome the opportunity to stoke behind a woman. (But it's easy to say when I fully know I won't be stoking down a 60mph descent anytime soon!)
Old 01-27-19, 01:40 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by LV2TNDM
My only real complaint with her driving is her passivity behind the wheel.
You may see that as a fault but I'll bet your insurance company doesn't. I am old enough to know when insurance companies could, and did, charge women far less than men for the same coverage. My driving instructor always insured his vehicles in his wife's name even though she didn't drive. Saved him tons over the years.
Old 01-27-19, 02:00 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
I think you want your combined CG as low as is possible
You are correct, however, it isn't so much the combined CG, but mainly that the difference between the Captain's CG and the Stoker's CG should definitely be a negative number. This is our newest tandem. My CG is about 15" higher than my wife's on this bike. There really wasn't much lower they could run her seat but it was so important to the builder that the Captain CG be enough higher than the Stoker's so that there would not be any perception of the Stoker's mass during maneuvers they put my seat 28" off the ground. I'm on tiptoe at stops. It works though. There isn't any sense that a considerable mass is right behind you like on a regular tandem. The bike rides the same sans Stokeur as avec Stokeur. That wouldn't be the case if our CG were identical and it certainly wouldn't be the case if she sat higher!
Old 01-27-19, 11:18 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
You are correct, however, it isn't so much the combined CG, but mainly that the difference between the Captain's CG and the Stoker's CG should definitely be a negative number. This is our newest tandem. My CG is about 15" higher than my wife's on this bike. There really wasn't much lower they could run her seat but it was so important to the builder that the Captain CG be enough higher than the Stoker's so that there would not be any perception of the Stoker's mass during maneuvers they put my seat 28" off the ground. I'm on tiptoe at stops. It works though. There isn't any sense that a considerable mass is right behind you like on a regular tandem. The bike rides the same sans Stokeur as avec Stokeur. That wouldn't be the case if our CG were identical and it certainly wouldn't be the case if she sat higher!
I think I'm very lucky to have a superb stoker. She's not strong, but she's quiet and fun to ride with. We're always off the back in hilly terrain while riding with a group where I would be near the head on my single. But that's fine. I prefer it.

Anecdote: On one of our first long tandem rides, I pulled into a shopping center for a coffee stop and tried to get off the bike as we rolled to a stop just like I would on my single, trying to throw my leg over the saddle. Of course we both wound up on the ground, the point being that I was completely unaware I was even on a tandem. It's slower to accelerate, slower to stop, but otherwise it handles about like a single. Stoker is utterly quiet, no upper body movement. I call it The Racing Limo because it's so smooth and comfortable and we push it as hard as we can.
Old 02-07-19, 10:14 AM
bgross

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
To the OP:

By all means, find a way to test-ride a Tandem together. Even better if you can do it with some “coaching” from an experienced tandem rider.
When my bride and I were considering the idea we went to a shop several towns away and talked to someone who knew how to listen, ask questions and, most important, how to instruct us on the important basics & communication.
After talking us through, he put me on the back and we went for a ride. I learned quickly how fun it can be when the captain talks through everything. Then he took my bride out. She came back with a HUGE smile: “I closed my eyes and I was FLYING!”
Then the instructor sent us out together. Maybe not perfection, but close enough that we went in and ordered a tandem!

That’s been over 20 year, and every ride is wonderful. The other day we were remembering tandem I gotta along the Danube River bike path and decided it’s time to go back.
It’s a wonderful life.

Last edited by bgross; 02-07-19 at 11:26 AM.