Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Next Step is the Frame

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Next Step is the Frame

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-19, 06:04 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
Next Step is the Frame

So now that I have the set of lugs, shell and crown sculpted it's time for the frame to start. This will be another long project because in a couple of days I get foot #2 worked on. It was 1 1/ 2 months with #1 before I could really be mobile and productive. So for the near future all I'll be able to do is filing and sanding a bit at a time.

This frame will be a departure from what I've done before. The lugs not really so although making my own and their minimal size are. But it's more the disk brakes and hub light wiring that are different.

I'll use cable calipers, Spyres. A SA RX RK5 rear hub with a Shimano Alfine Dynamo ft hub. Rear drops are Paragons, they have the caliper mounts built in. Front drops are Novas to mate with their disk fork blades (gad they're heavy). Wheels are 26"/559 and I'll likely run 1.25 to 1.5 tires. Fenders and a rear rack (which I'll probably make as most all production racks are tall on 26" wheels).

Here's a shot of the head lugs silvered in. This is the first time I've silvered lugs for a couple of years (been using fillets and/or brass for a long time). Since the lugs used brass to make I didn't want to risk flowing the lug joint during the main frame brazing. I have to admit that it's nice to see that I still can do somewhat OK silver flowing after the time away. There's a few shoreline points that will need a bit of filing but no big globs or gaps. As this frame will likely get power coating I'm not too worried about shoreline perfection. I think the lug style looks pretty cool, if I do say so myself. Andy
Old 01-07-19, 02:23 AM
mikeread

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
I am looking forward to seeing this. Hope your foot doesn't take long to heal :-)
Old 01-07-19, 07:32 AM
David Tollefson

Bikes: Many... Up to 9 in the stable now

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I think the Spyres are only in flat mount now, just FYI in case you didn't know. If you're needing an ISO mount set of Spyres, I might be able to help you out.