Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

What folding bike brand do you like best?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-19, 10:33 PM
Andy Thousand

Bikes: Brompton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I currently own a 2-speed Brompton. An 8-speed Tern Link D8. And have test ridden many models of Dahon. Between the 3 brands which ones do you like, and why?
Old 01-07-19, 10:52 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I like Bike Friday best (not on your list) because I can get it made to fit me perfectly, rather than me trying to fit it. Second choice, Dahon, because it's affordable and it doesn't require completely proprietary parts to adapt it or super expensive after market parts. Third is Brompton, primarily because they are super cute (but not a comfortable fit for me). Never rode a Tern but got scared off by the recall thread here anyway. And there's Moulton....which is super expensive and uber cool, I'd buy one if I won a lottery.
Old 01-08-19, 01:06 AM
ladi

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andy Thousand
I currently own a 2-speed Brompton. An 8-speed Tern Link D8. And have test ridden many models of Dahon. Between the 3 brands which ones do you like, and why?
Brompton. Their bikes just look best on Instagram!
Old 01-08-19, 05:54 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,186 Times in 961 Posts
Originally Posted by ladi
Brompton. Their bikes just look best on Instagram!
That is the most perfect reason to purchase and own a bike! Now I wonder which brand folding bike looks best on FaceBook? Pintrist? Or even Bike Forums!?!

As far as my opinion goes, hands down it is Dahon and for a very specific reason. It's the only folding bike brand I've ever owned or ridden!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 01-08-19, 07:49 AM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Wow that is such a tough question! My Airnimal is the better bike, but for the best brand I have to go with Dahon. It was my 1st folder and has NEVER let me down even though it is a base entry bike and I pounded the crap out of it over the past 2 years.
Old 01-08-19, 05:45 PM
mlau

Bikes: Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
My main bike for a few years was a Xootr Swift.

Great bike. No longer made.

Every time I think of selling mine, I don't.

Brompton for fold. Feels like a mature product.

Not known for speed. Somewhat upright ride.

i sorta want one.

Bike Friday. IMO, probably one of the best folding bike companies on the planet.

They stand behind their stuff, and is the only company I know that builds to order.

Only downside is the fold isn't a brompton.
Old 01-08-19, 05:55 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I like my Bike Friday..

in winter, like now, I use my Disc brake-Rohloff and Dynamo hub-ed LED lit Bike Friday.. Pocket Llama..

but I don't have to fold it ..

I have a Season Tikit which also has an IGH in this case a Sram i-9..

Both were not chosen in a pre build order , but bought used as is..

If I were starting from a blank page their North West Tour, could combine the component picks.. in a 20" wheel bike

Even offer a belt drivetrain in their build option list..

its the 4th on your list of 3...

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-06-19 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-08-19, 05:59 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
I own Dahon, Tern, DownTube, and Origami folders, and I can't really choose 1 brand as a favorite. Each has a usage for me, and each has strengths and weaknesses. I luv 'em all equally! I had a Xootr Swift, and it's sorely missed, and I also owned a bike called a Melon Slice. It was OK, but not my cup-o-joe,...the geometry was a bit off for me.
Old 01-21-19, 11:59 PM
kidshibuya

Bikes: Tyrell CSI, Dahon Mu LT11, Doppelganger Aurora 219

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am a fan of Tyrell these days. I very much agree with their moto of using the best available, making the best that's not. They seem to go for solid peformance over mass market pricing or gimmicks.

After owning a top of the line Dahon for a few years I am not that impressed with it for the cash. Lost interest in most folding bike makers actually.
Old 01-22-19, 05:36 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Brompton, because it is the best. Great support, too.

As P.S., I am planning to replace mine with one of the clones I bang on about. Nothing wrong with the Brompton at all, but it isn't ideally suited to unmade roads, plus, of course, in many countries it is thief fodder. Nevertheless, a fine bike, and the best fold at present, and, as a purely shopping bike, the one to beat.

Last edited by avole; 01-22-19 at 07:12 AM.
Old 01-23-19, 05:25 AM
plushy gopher
very fluffy

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brand-wise, Brompton. For actually riding them, Tern.
Old 01-23-19, 08:53 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by kidshibuya
I am a fan of Tyrell these days. I very much agree with their moto of using the best available, making the best that's not. They seem to go for solid peformance over mass market pricing or gimmicks.

After owning a top of the line Dahon for a few years I am not that impressed with it for the cash. Lost interest in most folding bike makers actually.

+1 to this as a folding bike brand.

Best quality paint work (vs dahon/tern, Moulton, BF) , consciously thought out bike builds, very nice riding bikes
They sell themselves locally w/o much marketing hype.
Old 01-24-19, 02:08 PM
bikingbill

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 26, Brompton

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The Brompton. I need the quick fold, weight capacity, bag system and "can take it on flights as carry-on" stuff.

Bike Friday makes some beautiful machines, but the Brompton is ideal for my uses.
Old 01-24-19, 02:27 PM
Lalato

Bikes: Dahon Curl i8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I've only owned a couple (Bike Friday and Giant). Of those the Bike Friday wins by leaps and bounds. Giant was my first folding bike... I learned from that what I definitely didn't want in a folding bike.

I've test-ridden a few more (Birdy, Dahon, Brompton). Of those, I thought the Birdy gave the best ride. The Dahons weren't slouches. The Brompton gave a bouncier ride than I expected. For the breadth of options available, Dahon is the winner here, even though Birdy was really nice. That said, I wouldn't balk at owning any of these.
Old 01-24-19, 03:02 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
I've ridden and owned a Dahon; Espresso. I've test ridden a few Tern models; X11 & P9.
Nice bikes; good prices. But I prefer my Brompton; 2013 S6L-X. For the types of riding
that I do; it's a match. Grocery shopping w/ it's front bag, easy to park/stow when commuting
to work, easy to fit in various forms of transport(plane, train, boat, car, bus, etc.), perfect
companion when travelling to other cities and countries:

NYC office parking by 1nterceptor, on Flickr

Going Green at the Grocery by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 01-29-19, 08:55 AM
bent4me

Bikes: Recumbents and all HPV'S

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts
My Xootr Swift is the best folding ride of all bikes I've owned and tried. It is the closest thing to riding a full size bike. The fold is not small and it is no longer made. I can't imagine ever selling mine.
Old 01-29-19, 12:15 PM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Obviously the answer is the one you own, if not, then the one you lust after, which is always Brompton
Old 01-29-19, 05:29 PM
dahoneezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
When you say Brompton, Xootr, Birdy, etc, the main frame well defined, other components may vary.

When you say Dahon, they make (or slap on labels from china factories) so many different types of bikes, so its best to qualify which model.
Old 03-05-19, 01:09 PM
Jakey27

Bikes: Enigma Echo Ti, Sabbath September Ti, Airnimal Joey

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would have to be Airnimal for me, ride is closest to a road bike. I appreciate that it doesn’t fold anywhere near as neatly as some of the other brands....
Old 03-09-19, 07:59 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
I've never ridden a top end brand folding bike so cannot usefully comment there and I tend to buy bikes on specification/price and have no brand loyalty. The bicycle brand I most respect for sheer manufacturing quality and engineering is Giant so I guess Giant is my pick.
Old 03-17-19, 03:51 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Hooked on foldies. Always one in the trunk.
Downtube lXNS is solid , inexpensive with decent shiftgear o/w good bike for 12 years now
Dahon Speed8 about the same
Montague 26", bulky, unexceptional as a bike
Dahon Matrix with hex keyed frame hinge, nicer 26ër than the Montague. 26ërs more comfortable , trunkable, but not much smaller
Mobiky heavy and headstem not stiff , I'm not fond of the 12"wheels or its wheelbase
I have 20"trikes and find the 20"wheels harsh on rough streets, but really lust after a BF and Brompton
Agree that it is a good plan to get experience on a midrange bike (best at used price) to see what it is about and what you want in a foldie first
and to avoid the cheapies and novelty bikes before you get a good feel for what you like
Old 03-19-19, 10:04 AM
Gribouille

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brompton and Dahon aswell, the first one because of the bike size when folded and the second one for the vast variety and extra parts available in Europe.
Old 03-19-19, 11:43 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I own a Brompton, and 2 different Bike Fridays ...

now have a picture of the brompton..

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-27-19 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-20-19, 02:18 AM
sogood

Bikes: Bianchi, Ridley, GT

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My take

Now owning two folders and using my wallet to support my liking. For 700c wheels - Montague Boston for its novel design and single speed gearing. No frills ride around town. For compact folder - Tern Verge X10 - 20” wheel 10 speed pocket rocket that fits in a 32” suitcase for international travels, nice style and able to keep up with road bikes. Best of all, sub-10kg weight that few other folders can match.

Technically a third that another in the family uses, Dahon Mariner 8. Great price and solid build for hoping around uni.

Test rode Brompton but found it heavy and a little too twitchy with its 16” wheels. The gearing was also less responsive. Do like the dimension when folded and the range of accessories though.
Old 03-20-19, 10:52 AM
BikeKraft
BikingYupik

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've never ridden a top tier folder, just so you know. I don't need the most compact fold.
I have two DownTubes, a cheap Walmart Genesis, a Citizen Bike and a three speed folding trike labeled Adventurer.
The one that makes me think "I love this thing" everytime I ride it is the trike. So versatile.
The one I ride most is the Genesis, works great, only cost $170, is all scratched up so I don't worry about it.
The DownTube 8H is my best riding folder, Has the older Sturmey Archer 8 speed, very smooth and quiet.
I'm still getting acquainted with the DownTube Mini, It has the newer SA 8 hub, not so smooth and noisy.
I make a 10 mile trip three times a week to pick up my special needs son. He rides the trike back, I ride the bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.