Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone going to RAGBRAI?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Anyone going to RAGBRAI?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-19, 08:55 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
FIrst one didn't have a name.
SAGBRAI = Second Annual blah blah
RAGBRAI
Old 02-20-19, 12:53 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Are there "set" days for the completion of stages? Reason I ask, is I'm considering riding the last stage, maybe meet some C&V folks and ride with them, but I've been told that some do it in fewer days and just go home, etc. I'd sure like to ride that last stage from a river city to a river city.

Get a feel for it, then chuck most other events for 2020 and do this. On my bucket list.
Old 02-20-19, 05:58 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Are there "set" days for the completion of stages? Reason I ask, is I'm considering riding the last stage, maybe meet some C&V folks and ride with them, but I've been told that some do it in fewer days and just go home, etc. I'd sure like to ride that last stage from a river city to a river city.

Get a feel for it, then chuck most other events for 2020 and do this. On my bucket list.
Each day "officially" stops in its end town. On Saturday night before the ride starts, we'll be camping in Council Bluffs. On Sunday, the vast majority of people will ride the route and camp in Atlantic that night, and so on. But more and more people are riding it self-contained -- the ambitious ones ride out from home a few days early and then join up at the start, ride RAGBRAI, then ride back home from the final town. With many of the folks I know (Cedar Rapids/IC area), however, they might not make it all the way to the start town before they meet up with the RAGBRAI pack heading east, so they'll hop on from there and then ride the route until it gets close to home, then they'll depart from the pack again. They claim that it's a lot more enjoyable with less people around. There's a lot of right ways to do RAGBRAI.

People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 02-20-19 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-21-19, 07:24 PM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 262 Posts
Originally Posted by Sprocket Turner
Now the question is.........how about doing it on a vintage bike? I would love to see a slew of us, all on vintage bikes doing the ride together.
Not sure. On such a long ride I have to go for ultimate comfort. So void of finding my holy grail trek720 probably not. I roll the hills and sometimes go for speed. I guess if we had a big group I may ride a classic. Check out my new thread showing my Jack Taylor I jsut purchased.

thanks

JJ
Old 02-21-19, 08:47 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Knet
Interesting route that it is taking this year. No overnights in bigger cities. Not sure why they did that, but I suspect that all the one-day riders they had for the ride into Iowa City last year might have played in to that.

Should be a good time.
while no large cities, it does overnight 30min from the Des Moines moines metro in Winterset and 15mi from Des Moines in Indianola.
pretty close still and those days should draw a huge 1 day crowd.
Old 02-21-19, 09:30 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
I did it last year with my partner. A little too crowded for me but it was worth doing at least once. Tons of C&V bikes to ogle the whole ride as I would say the majority of riders are in their 50s or 60s.

I would say the majority of bikes look to be late 90s/2000s skinny tire road bikes, which to me are the ugliest and least functional of any era of road bike.

The coolest bike I saw last year was a beautiful 75th Anniversary Paramount (built by Waterford in 2013) with Curtis Odom hubs. We were stopped at a rest town so I got to take a good look and talk to the owner.

Second runner up was a newer Jeff Bock rando.

Last edited by TenGrainBread; 02-21-19 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-21-19, 10:34 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes

if people ride the route in fewer days than a week, they are really missing the point of RAGBRAI as all the towns along the route plan activities, have food, etc on the best the ride passes thru town. And the designated overnight towns have music and events.
if people ride ahead, they are just riding across a state on their own and could do that anywhere at anytime.
Old 03-01-19, 03:42 PM
Sprocket Turner

Bikes: '73 Mondia Special, '73 Frejus TDF, '84 Gitane Rallye Tandem, '85 Trek (Custom) 660, 85/86 Gitane Professional, and a few more!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
if people ride the route in fewer days than a week, they are really missing the point of RAGBRAI as all the towns along the route plan activities, have food, etc on the best the ride passes thru town. And the designated overnight towns have music and events.
if people ride ahead, they are just riding across a state on their own and could do that anywhere at anytime.
Well said!!! I was able to get a friend of mine to do RAGBRAI - we weren't going to necessarily ride together his first year. As a warm up - he rode RAIN (Ride Across Indiana) a 160 miler. .On Sunday night we talked on the phone and he was disappointed. He didn't get why there is all the fuss over RAGBRAI and it was too crowded.
On Tuesday, we again talked on the phone and he said "I GET IT" - it's not a race, it's a ride. You stop as appropriate in each town and see the festivities and you buy a piece of pie from the boy scouts or church and you go onto the next town.

I did the ride every year from 2006 thru 2011 and I am anxious to do the ride again. I'm no longer of the opinion that I have to do it every year, but, it is an awesome event and as professionally managed as it gets.

My guess is that I will be ready for it again for 2020 unless I can talk my better half into doing it this year which is unlikely as we are planning time off for the Coppi event.
Old 03-01-19, 07:51 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
On Tuesday, we again talked on the phone and he said "I GET IT" - it's not a race, it's a ride. You stop as appropriate in each town and see the festivities and you buy a piece of pie from the boy scouts or church and you go onto the next town.
One of my fondest memories of RAGBRAI was a farmhouse in the middle of no-where that had a sign to stop in for refreshments and interview by Grandma. They had a big souvenir board for people to sign, lemonade and snacks, and grandma was in a rocking chair on the porch and she interviewed the riders one-by-one while one of her clan video taped it.

Well, where you from?
I was born in NW Iowa, moved to Iowa City in '72, and now I live in CA.
Oh, in't that sum'm. How did you git to CA?
In the Navy, I was on a submarine.
Well bless yer heart. Ride safe now.
Old 03-01-19, 08:41 PM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
I could probably pull this off next year. This year would probably be Saturday ride only.
Old 03-02-19, 12:36 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Well said!!! I was able to get a friend of mine to do RAGBRAI - we weren't going to necessarily ride together his first year. As a warm up - he rode RAIN (Ride Across Indiana) a 160 miler. .On Sunday night we talked on the phone and he was disappointed. He didn't get why there is all the fuss over RAGBRAI and it was too crowded.

I did the ride every year from 2006 thru 2011 and I am anxious to do the ride again. I'm no longer of the opinion that I have to do it every year, but, it is an awesome event and as professionally managed as it gets.

My guess is that I will be ready for it again for 2020 unless I can talk my better half into doing it this year which is unlikely as we are planning time off for the Coppi event.
Yeah, RAGBRAI is all about the people. You get to meet people from all over the world, riding any kind of wheeled contraption imaginable, having fun. Well, not always having "fun", but any bike-related suffering is a communal experience.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-02-19, 09:18 AM
To live

Bikes: Motobecane Mirage, 1982 Trek 614, 1984 Miyata 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RAGBRAI is part of the reason that I got back into cycling. I’ve never ridden it but last year we had plenty of riders willing to ride some gravel to our Meadery to enjoy music, food and drink. It was one of the funnest days we’ve ever had at our business. I had a great time meeting people from all over the world and as they were leaving, I was a bit jealous that I couldn’t continue the good times with them. I can definitely see the allure of the ride and hope to ride it in the future.
Old 03-02-19, 10:20 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by To live
RAGBRAI is part of the reason that I got back into cycling. I’ve never ridden it but last year we had plenty of riders willing to ride some gravel to our Meadery to enjoy music, food and drink. It was one of the funnest days we’ve ever had at our business. I had a great time meeting people from all over the world and as they were leaving, I was a bit jealous that I couldn’t continue the good times with them. I can definitely see the allure of the ride and hope to ride it in the future.
I've heard of a couple of these in Iowa- where is yours located?
bee wine? I really need to Google that and learn.
Old 03-02-19, 11:06 AM
To live

Bikes: Motobecane Mirage, 1982 Trek 614, 1984 Miyata 1000

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I've heard of a couple of these in Iowa- where is yours located?
bee wine? I really need to Google that and learn.
Yeah, the mead we make is honey-wine. We’re about 45 minutes NE of the metro.

RAGBRAI really is part of the culture here in Iowa. As I’ve aged I’ve experienced it in several ways. As a kid I marveled at seeing all those riders roll throuh my small hometown. As a young adult, I enjoyed the music acts and energy that was brought to the overnight cities. And now as a business owner and host, I was able to get a chance to immerse myself in it for a day and enjoy the diversity of the riders from all over and all walks of life. It probably helped that the weather was picture perfect and everyone was in a great, laid back mood. Not this year, but soon I hope to ride and have that experience as well.
Old 05-02-19, 11:13 AM
teejaywhy

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
I first heard about this ride last night while surfing youtube, stumbled upon a
Ryan Van Duzer produced, ~5 minute video that seems to capture the essence of the event.

It is officially added to my bucket list.
Old 07-13-19, 08:31 PM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
3/4 of our Ragbrai Team on a tune up ride today.
Old 07-13-19, 09:18 PM
76SLT 

Bikes: Some Schwinns, Raleighs, Centurions, Crescent, Bianchi

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 125 Posts
I'm registered to do the last day only. @RobbieTunes was maybe going that last day too. We talked about getting a group to do it on their Ironmans.
Old 07-14-19, 08:09 PM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by 76SLT
I'm registered to do the last day only. @RobbieTunes was maybe going that last day too. We talked about getting a group to do it on their Ironmans.
The last day from Burlington to Keokuk might be the best day of the week. I think we will have our team jerseys on so maybe you can spot us. They say cell service is spotty at best but I can pm you my number if you want to try. We are supposed to stay at the First Church of the Nazarene in Burlington.
Old 07-15-19, 08:27 AM
76SLT 

Bikes: Some Schwinns, Raleighs, Centurions, Crescent, Bianchi

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 125 Posts
Originally Posted by TXsailor
The last day from Burlington to Keokuk might be the best day of the week. I think we will have our team jerseys on so maybe you can spot us. They say cell service is spotty at best but I can pm you my number if you want to try. We are supposed to stay at the First Church of the Nazarene in Burlington.
I'm sure I'll make contact with your team at some point. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 07-15-19, 06:00 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,383 Times in 3,669 Posts
Originally Posted by TXsailor
3/4 of our Ragbrai Team on a tune up ride today.
That is just simply awesome.
Old 07-15-19, 09:00 PM
Vefer

Bikes: Trek 4300, '84 Trek 400,'88 Trek, 85 Trek 720 560, 82 Motobecane Randonee, 75 Schwinn Collegiate, Schwinn Sierra, '84 Trek 890, 2001 Trek 5200 OCLV USPS, 99 Trek Y Foil

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
I'm returning for my 5th time. Every bike imaginable! I've always rode a vintage bike. Just a week long fun time. Especially if you like bikes, people and a rolling party with 20000 of your new best friends.
Old 07-15-19, 09:47 PM
jayhawkpanic

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Ragbrai is really an amazing event. It will restore your faith in humanity

Headed up for my 3rd one

trying to decide whether to go c&v or not

first year I rode my 1984 Bianchi San remo

last year I rode a brand new salsa warbird

thinking about the bianchi super corsa this year but would obv have to skip the gravel loop and perhaps be a bit less comfy. Also, there are usually some massive hills on the latter part of the route and it’s going to be very hot. Huge hills, hot rims, and old rim brakes make me a bit nervous.
Old 07-30-19, 05:26 PM
jayhawkpanic

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jayhawkpanic
Ragbrai is really an amazing event. It will restore your faith in humanity

Headed up for my 3rd one

trying to decide whether to go c&v or not

first year I rode my 1984 Bianchi San remo

last year I rode a brand new salsa warbird

thinking about the bianchi super corsa this year but would obv have to skip the gravel loop and perhaps be a bit less comfy. Also, there are usually some massive hills on the latter part of the route and it’s going to be very hot. Huge hills, hot rims, and old rim brakes make me a bit nervous.
I ended up riding the warbird and I’m glad I did. It poured the first day and it pretty much ruined my brooks saddle. Would have hated to ruin the vintage brooks pro on the super corsa.

Ragbrai was a blast though. Tons of c&v rides mixed in with even more modern bikes obviously. Lots of food and beer too.
Old 07-30-19, 05:50 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,383 Times in 3,669 Posts
I ended up riding the warbird and I’m glad I did. It poured the first day and it pretty much ruined my brooks saddle. Would have hated to ruin the vintage brooks pro on the super corsa.

Ragbrai was a blast though. Tons of c&v rides mixed in with even more modern bikes obviously. Lots of food and beer too.
No rain cover, ziploc, plastic bag at all?
Old 07-30-19, 06:39 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Yeah that first day wasnt the greatest- rain from 3am to 3pm is less than ideal.
But boy the following days were great!

65-85 degrees, mostly calm wind, and tons of riders of all ages from various backgrounds.
Cant even imagine how many fun but brief conversations I had on the ride- too many to count.

I'm continually amazed Iowa is able to bring people from all over the US and across the world to ride its roads. Corn on the left, beans on the right. Repeat. Repeat. Ooh, variety because the corn is now on the right and beans on the left!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.