Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Strange Auto Accident Very Near Me Today

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-19, 10:55 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts

I was crossing the intersection of Carrollton Ave at Esplanade Ave this morning on the way to work as I do most days I take a bicycle. I left city park against a red light and got halfway across but there was so much traffic I had to stop at the red light in the S.W. corner of the intersection.

There as I waited for a green light, or a gap in crossing traffic, I heard a big noise like a garbage dumpster falling out of a five story building and hitting the ground behind me.

I have no clue what happened back there but there was a small white sedan with a completely ruined front end and a large black SUV facing against traffic. The white car was still rolling slowly when I got my eyes on it.

OK, here's the strange part. No horn blowing, no skidding. Just KAABLAAM!. So i guess someone was on their phone or otherwise distracted as they entered the intersection at or above the 35mph limit. Likely the white car with the trashed front end but I don't know. The cross street had the red light, which is why I was still there. I do not know if the SUV was crossing in front of the white car, or stopped in front of it going the same way as the white car. Not even certain which car was going what way to be honest. But it was a big mess of plastic and glass.

A nice reminder why I try not to dawdle in intersections. Had I not run that first red light the accident would have come right at me, but fell a few feet short of my previous position.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 02-04-19 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-04-19, 12:20 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
One of the drivers was probably calling the police to report the dangerous cyclist ignoring road rules.
Old 02-04-19, 12:42 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Maelochs
One of the drivers was probably calling the police to report the dangerous cyclist ignoring road rules.
It would be amusing to hear the 911 operator's response to that. Or the 311 even.

In reality, i was stuck at the red light so long I seriously doubt either car involved saw me run the light. The pickup truck next to me when I ran the first light had a front row seat for the collision after i left him sitting there. He was not involved unless some pieces hit his truck.
Old 02-04-19, 05:30 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
So, something happened, but you don’t know what.

You half failed to run the red light, but you are OK.
Had you failed failed to run run the red light, you would still be OK.
Had you not failed to run run run the red light, of course you would still be OK! Because!

But cell phones? Boom!

Even by Joey standards.... No baseball bats?

Cool “story”....

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 02-04-19 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-04-19, 08:15 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by mr_bill
So, something happened, but you don’t know what.

You half failed to run the red light, but you are OK.
Had you failed failed to run run the red light, you would still be OK.
Had you not failed to run run run the red light, of course you would still be OK! Because!

But cell phones? Boom!

Even by Joey standards.... No baseball bats?

Cool “story”....

-mr. bill

I know two cars collided at a decent speed in an intersection that i was doing my best not to linger in. I know that the collision would have been very close to me had I stayed at the first red light that I succeeded in running. I knew before I climbed onto my bike this morning that intersections are the most dangerous parts of my commute and my goal is always to get away from them as fast as I can. I was not distracted by the pretty lights. And instead of being thirty feet away from a serious accident, I was 100 feet away. Mission accomplished, with an exclamation point!
Old 02-04-19, 08:46 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Walk.

-mr. bill