Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Is my 26 inch grinder obsolete?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-19, 07:55 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts

At the 2018 mt man biathlon
I love the bike and just went to 1.5 tires Conti's hope to ride it today in the cold NWNJ area. It is fun and easy to ride but when I go up against true 700 c bikes I get smoked the thing is heavy and wheels rim style brakes or difficult to find and not cheap. I do plan on using it in my 2019 gravel grinder events but almost feel out of place. Am I alone in the 26 inch world of graveling
Old 02-10-19, 09:41 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
"I love the bike"... "It is fun and easy to ride"... "Am I alone in the 26 inch world of graveling"
If you are having fun riding the bike, enjoy the uniqueness of your rig! You may be a little slower than you would be on bigger wheels, but you there are probably people on most rides that you can hang with. There's plenty of new and used 26" wheels and tires out there if you look around. Same for canti brakes and pads.

There is at least one guy in south Georgia regularly riding gravel on an old 26er. I rode with him at the Sasquatch Ride in Flovilla, GA in November and will be attending the Wild Chicken 100 in Fitzgerald, GA that he is organizing.

sq011 by Benny Watson, on Flickr
Old 02-10-19, 09:57 AM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It depends on you. If you like it and have fun, that's all that really matters. The 700 combo did not smoke you, the rider did. Yes, he/she may have slightly better roll-over, but it may be the whole package ... Gearing, tire choice, weight, clip-in and leg power.

You can go to V brakes for less expensive parts and more stopping power. Some nice used Mavic Crossland wheels and a Deore lightweight cog set will shave a few lb off the total weight. Pick your tires carefully for fast rolling and lower weight (with decent puncture resistance) and you'll be fine.

Sure you can step up to a replacement bike. But think that over carefully. It may be a big investment. Look at all the others when riding and see if you can spot what might work better for you ... See if you can get a test ride on that model adjusted for you at a shop. Then, if you get it, see if you are still not getting out run by some others ... Happened to me all the time, back in the day on club rides. I'm just not a competitive rider. Just like running, some people are faster ...
Old 02-10-19, 10:23 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
If you're there for fun--run what ya brung.

If you're in it to win it and be competitive in a race...then you will have problems.
Old 02-10-19, 12:16 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Like the others said, depends on why you ride.
I find 700c is faster on road like conditions but I can lead on loose pack or single track with 26" but so much of that depends on the rider.

Also, 700c gravel is just a fad now like 29 and 27.5 were, like double road cranksets became triples and now single. Yeah they are each nice in a way but in 5 years there will be a "new" standard everyone feels a need to rush to and that "in" bike will be "out". Eventually all those fads wear thin and you are left riding what works for you both performance wise and economically.

Ps. Great looking bike

Last edited by Happy Feet; 02-10-19 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-10-19, 12:36 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I always say....stay close to the keg.....
Old 02-10-19, 01:43 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
It is fun and easy to ride but when I go up against true 700 c bikes I get smoked the thing is heavy and wheels rim style brakes or difficult to find and not cheap. I do plan on using it in my 2019 gravel grinder events but almost feel out of place. Am I alone in the 26 inch world of graveling
1- of course its obsolete- it's a quarter century old 26" gravel bike in 2019. Obsolete means no longer produced or used and out of date. Besides you and a smattering of people who did drop bar conversions on old mtbs, gravel bikes arent 26".
2- if the gearing works for you, then you are getting smoked because those riders are stronger/faster than you. It isnt the bike tire size's fault.
3- 26" rim brake wheelsets are seemingly limitless still. Absolutely plentiful in all ranges of quality and price. If you cant find what you want, polish your search skills or accept that products cost more than you may want to spend(I would disagree that none are affordable). Also, how often are you needing a new wheelset for this to actually matter?

with all that said, it's a nice looking bike and if it fits you then ignore that its a different wheel size than most other bikes.
rim brakes can stop perfectly well(i use cantis) and are lighter than a disc setup. So smile knowing that you are saving grams compared to disc.
Old 02-10-19, 02:16 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
I've got a steel CX bike from the mid-late 90's (not super sure of the exact age).

It's 700c, basic cross geometry, short chain stay, canti's. 22-23 lbs depending on my mood.

I don't get smoked on it. I usually pass others on it. Mine isn't set up remarkably different than yours and is equally obsolete. I am 100 percent certain that I'd finish most of my rides waaaay slower on yours. I can't imagine riding hard for hours on a converted concerted old skool mtn bike.

It's not the age of the bike in your case, I think it's the design.

It's probably better for lower speed more technical riding and bike packing.
Old 02-11-19, 02:03 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
In the sense that 26" wheels are no longer widely used on quality new bikes designed for off-pavement use, sure.

It is fun and easy to ride but when I go up against true 700 c bikes I get smoked the thing is heavy
Old-school MTB framesets do tend to be pretty heavy, and their geometry can be pretty weird for road-esque builds.

But if you're "getting smoked" compared with folks on current drop-bar gravel bikes, there's either something seriously non-optimal with the build, or the other riders are just much stronger than you. When I bring my drop-bar '84 Stumpjumper to rides with folks of similar ability on modern bikes, it's a competent performer.

If it's in good working order, provides you with the postures you need, has the gearing you need for the riding you're doing, and if the tires you've chosen are appropriate and fast, it really shouldn't be holding you back all that much.

and wheels rim style brakes or difficult to find
What in particular are you having trouble finding?

High-end and/or tubeless rim-brake 26er rims are getting slim, but plenty of low-end wheels are still available new, as are a number of competent rims.

The market certainly isn't as good as it is for 29er or 650b, but the size isn't horribly obscure just yet. A few manufacturers are still spec'ing rim-brake 26er wheels on new low-end MTBs, such as the Trek 820. And there are enough old 26ers out there that tire selection is still reasonable.

I'm actually building a new wheelset for my Stumpy right now. It's nothing fancy, but my current wheelset is bottom-end and ultra-heavy, so it should save a tangible amount of weight and have much better bearings.
I'm using 36H silver Sun Rhyno Lite rims, 36H silver Deore XT T780 hubs, and Sapim Laser spokes. Hubs+rims+spokes+nipples are about 2000g for the set; it's no featherweight wheelset, but the weight isn't catastrophic either, and the parts weren't terribly expensive considering that they were bought separately. With skewers and tape and tubes and my 53mm tires, they should end up a little over 7lbs.
Old 02-11-19, 11:02 AM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
OP, check out this thread, if you haven't already:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nversions.html
Old 02-11-19, 04:30 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Originally Posted by Squeeze
OP, check out this thread, if you haven't already:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nversions.html
Thanks guys I do love the bike had the old rockadille striped painted and built it all myself.....but heavy smooth on the roads and great on dirt but I give up 10 pounds to most people and the components are good for 1994 7 speeds rock
Old 02-13-19, 09:12 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
7 speed? Wow, might be a little older? I have an early '90s scott mountain bike that does great on gravel. It was a light weight mountain bike, so probably weighs 24lbs. Its got fairly modern gravel geometry, probably on the aggressive side (short head tube).

My biggest problem is finding decent tires and wheels. Most of the good stuff has migrated to 27.5 or 29" leaving behind cheap commuter tires or heavy duty touring tires. Nothing much that I would enjoy on a long gravel race. I stocked up a bit on 26" closeouts, but not sure if I'll have any tire options after that.
Old 02-13-19, 05:03 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, the tire thing is getting a bit iffy. But I have a stock of Ritchy Team Race tires from wheel buys, so I'm good for a while
Old 02-13-19, 05:35 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
I really don't think the tire situation has gotten that bad yet. Offerings aren't as varied as for 650b and 700c, but you can still get some of Schwalbe and Conti's higher-end XC tires in 26". And for fat supple slicks, Compass are phenomenal.
Old 02-15-19, 01:09 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Yeah, there are pretty good options for 26" rims and tires yet. There are other standards that are far more "obsolete."

My hunch as to the OP's problem is that his tire choice is letting him down. Perhaps the wheels themselves are also heavier than ideal, or the fit is off. Drop-bar MTBs can pose challenges for fit, and we all know that fit issues can rob power output.

Basically, everything that @HTupolev said.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-16-19, 01:35 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
It's just not new and promoted as trendy , like 650B/27.5..

Do you feel great shame if not _... "keeping up with the Jonses" ?

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-27-19 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-16-19, 06:08 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Like the others said, depends on why you ride.
I find 700c is faster on road like conditions but I can lead on loose pack or single track with 26" but so much of that depends on the rider.

Also, 700c gravel is just a fad now like 29 and 27.5 were, like double road cranksets became triples and now single. Yeah they are each nice in a way but in 5 years there will be a "new" standard everyone feels a need to rush to and that "in" bike will be "out". Eventually all those fads wear thin and you are left riding what works for you both performance wise and economically.

Ps. Great looking bike
So true in so many ways. I’m sure we haven’t seen the end of 26” wheels and triple cranksets. IMO 650B was just the manufacturers way of bringing back the 26” wheel albeit in a slightly different way.
Old 02-16-19, 06:47 PM
Happy Feet

I'm doing my part, one old rigid mtb frame at a time

Just a gratuitous pic but with a kernel of truth within. Recent snow and now melt has left this trail system either slushy or with a slick muck layer that most 700c tires wouldn't be able to negotiate (or at least I couldn't with them). 26" with 2.10 just managed with a moderate amount of slewing so there are conditions where fatter tires win out. Again, there is no way these are faster than 700c on good gravel so its sort of a horses for courses thing.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 02-16-19 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-17-19, 11:52 AM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Was riding recently with a guy 10+ years my senior on a bike similar to yours and he smoked me all day long, and I'm on a "modern" gravel rig
Old 02-25-19, 05:27 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Have fun and ride

Old 02-26-19, 10:39 AM
Clem von Jones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
After Compass started selling the 2.2" Rat Trap Pass tires I've been thinking that 26" is ideal. I started to envy Ms Cools lavender 26" Polyvalent after watching Henrywildeberry's youtube video channel. Here's a fantastic bike wheel and tire visual calculator showing why this set-up is better than the alternatives, by which I mean large-diameter, lightweight, plush, low-pressure tubeless, and fast.

https://bikecounterculture.com/2017/...er-calculator/

This tire and wheel combo is the same diameter as a 650b x 42mm, same as 700c x 23mm. I'm inclined to buy a Surly Midnight Special frame and run 26 x 2.2 for road, and then swap out the wheels for big-nobby 650b x 2.2 which would raise the bottom bracket and turn it into a drop-bar mountain bike.

Ms Cools Polyvalent:

Last edited by Clem von Jones; 02-28-19 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-02-19, 08:29 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
There are different types of obsolescence.

What you have is technically obsolete. There are (arguably) more advanced designs, materials, and manufacturing that enable better suspension, braking, shifting, ergonomics, etc.

An object becomes functionally obsolete when it is no longer possible or practical to maintain functionality. For instance, I have a 6 year old laptop that I can no longer find replacement batteries, processor chips, or screens if anything goes wrong. I can still surf the web and type emails to grandma, so although it was technically obsolete the day I bought it (it wasn’t the most powerful model in the lineup), it will become functionally obsolete when the parts to repair it are no longer available.

While your bike is technically obsolete (there may be better tools for the job), it is nowhere near functionally obsolete (it is an acceptable tool for the job). All of the parts you need to maintain it are readily available. I would even say that it is cheaper to maintain and easier to repair that what is currently available.
Old 03-02-19, 08:55 PM
Happy Feet

There are also ways to tweak a 26". I just ordered a cassette and body to switch my 1992 KHS Montana Comp from 7 speed 13/28 to 8 speed 11/40 and there are a few decent gravel tires still around. The hardest component has been a flared handlebar in 22.2 for older stems but you can get 31.8 conversions for that as well.
Old 03-04-19, 10:07 AM
thehammerdog

I do love riding the old steed fun practical goes everywhere safe simple comfy but once on paved roads and when up against newer lighter bikes u get smoked. An excellent do every thing bike even single track. But i give away 10lbs of bike and gearing. But a cool bike. I want to upgrade the wheels but finding decent affordable 26 inch non disc wheels us difficult
Old 03-04-19, 11:16 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
I do love riding the old steed fun practical goes everywhere safe simple comfy but once on paved roads and when up against newer lighter bikes u get smoked. An excellent do every thing bike even single track. But i give away 10lbs of bike and gearing. But a cool bike. I want to upgrade the wheels but finding decent affordable 26 inch non disc wheels us difficult
Sun Rhyno Lite 26 Wheelset Shimano 32h Deore Hubs 6 bolt Disc [66135] - $129.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike $130. I got a set from nashbar a year ago for $85. They are not lightweight, but they arent meant to be as its an MTB wheelset.
https://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Mavic-M...E2NYYYNN3DYWA2

What is 'affordable' in this instance? The Deore Rhyno wheelset is certainly 'decent', at least to me. And it seems affordable since it would be tough to find anything for less of similar quality.

There is always paying for a wheelset to be built. Lighter hubs, lighter rim, lighter spokes...and lighter wallet. But even that would be a few hundred which is affordable- relative to $1000 wheelsets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.