Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Hard suitcases for 20 inch folding bike

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-19, 06:32 PM
Trotsky

Bikes: My mountain bike after 22 years is retired, and I am now using a touring bike, and I still have my folding bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a citizens 20 inch folding bike. I use a dahon padded soft case to travel. So far I have survived travel, but not without obliterated accessories, bent brakes, gears, and deep gashes in the metal frame. I am lookung for a hard case. I dont mind taking wheels off, seat post out and so. Any suggestions are welcomed.
Old 02-13-19, 07:13 PM
towndock

Bikes: '81 Fuji America, '79 Fuji S12 Ltd, '03 Dahon Helios XL, '09 Giant Defy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Origami sells a hard case that doubles as a trailer.
https://www.origamibicycles.com/prod...-case-chassis/
Old 02-13-19, 07:39 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Bike Friday for years has used Samsonite suit cases. Mine is a 1995 and my wife's is a 2005 model. Roger
Old 02-13-19, 11:17 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Samsonite Winfield 2 28" Hardside Spinner Luggage
with a Tobukaeru folding bike with 20 inch wheels:
Old 02-14-19, 04:53 AM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Trotsky
I have a citizens 20 inch folding bike. I use a dahon padded soft case to travel. So far I have survived travel, but not without obliterated accessories, bent brakes, gears, and deep gashes in the metal frame. I am lookung for a hard case. I dont mind taking wheels off, seat post out and so. Any suggestions are welcomed.
why not use cardbox as a case?
its inexpensive, disposable...its best way to bike travel with a folding bike
Old 02-14-19, 09:27 AM
Trotsky

Bikes: My mountain bike after 22 years is retired, and I am now using a touring bike, and I still have my folding bike.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BromptonINrio
why not use cardbox as a case?
its inexpensive, disposable...its best way to bike travel with a folding bike
Thanks, it is funny that you suggest that. When we were in the process of moving to Barbados, I went to the local bike store and got two boxes that bikes came in, and shipped the bikes in those boxes. They did travel well, but that was on a ship. I want case on wheels, as going anywhere that requires more than one plane is a real pain. I also want to keep the size as small as possible, because folding bikes are starting to draw the ire of airlines. A few years ago, before folding bikes started to travel in larger number, I never had problems and was never asked about what was in the bag. Now, some airlines are talking about handling fees on top of the cost of the extra bag. Allot of the damage is from compression damage, from other things being put on top of it, while laying flat.
Old 02-14-19, 09:34 AM
Trotsky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, yes I did see this on YouTube, and I am keeping this in mind as I look for a case. I already carry small wrenches, so the larger wrench should not add too much to the weight.
Old 02-14-19, 09:35 AM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Originally Posted by Trotsky
Thanks, it is funny that you suggest that. When we were in the process of moving to Barbados, I went to the local bike store and got two boxes that bikes came in, and shipped the bikes in those boxes. They did travel well, but that was on a ship. I want case on wheels, as going anywhere that requires more than one plane is a real pain. I also want to keep the size as small as possible, because folding bikes are starting to draw the ire of airlines. A few years ago, before folding bikes started to travel in larger number, I never had problems and was never asked about what was in the bag. Now, some airlines are talking about handling fees on top of the cost of the extra bag. Allot of the damage is from compression damage, from other things being put on top of it, while laying flat.
i realy think your aproach will lead to the same place cardbox leads.
The airline company and the airport dont need to ask what is in box...the know just by whatch it in xray scanner.
the is no way you conceal a bike in modern airport and the fees are aplicable in most cases.
so, the solution would choose bike friendly airline(as aerolineas argentinas are the in south america) or choose airline whoose especial equipaje costs fits in your pocket.
Old 02-14-19, 12:18 PM
Fmtrx

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
Samsonite Winfield 2 28" Hardside Spinner Luggage
with a Tobukaeru folding bike with 20 inch wheels:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUQN...6zPoymgKaIoDLA
While watching this video, the image of Mr Bean adding just a tie and not being able to close the suitcase hunted me.
Old 02-14-19, 12:40 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Fmtrx
While watching this video, the image of Mr Bean adding just a tie and not being able to close the suitcase hunted me.
Yeah, it was a tight fit. In addition to the bike; I brought home some goodies from China.

DSCF1457 by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 02-14-19, 12:40 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by BromptonINrio
i realy think your aproach will lead to the same place cardbox leads.
The airline company and the airport dont need to ask what is in box...the know just by whatch it in xray scanner...
In the USA it is TSA that scans and inspects. They don't care that it is a bike so long as no contraband. They don't inform the airline.
Old 02-14-19, 12:56 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
But, to get your boarding pass, the airline employee , may demand to see inside your bag ,

I have spoken to someone , who had spent their funds for an S&S coupled frame to pass the measurement maximum, to not be in the oversize fee category, But ..

with the boarding pass withheld as the hostage , he had to open the case , and the desk guy went AhHa! , its a bike !, and charged the fee anyhow..

so it all depends on who you deal with in getting on the plane.. and so good luck,
Old 02-14-19, 02:44 PM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Originally Posted by fietsbob
But, to get your boarding pass, the airline employee , may demand to see inside your bag ,

I have spoken to someone , who had spent their funds for an S&S coupled frame to pass the measurement maximum, to not be in the oversize fee category, But ..

with the boarding pass withheld as the hostage , he had to open the case , and the desk guy went AhHa! , its a bike !, and charged the fee anyhow..

so it all depends on who you deal with in getting on the plane.. and so good luck,
here in brazil and also in all south america thats exactly how it happens.
here the employee may ask to open or to pass to xray scan any luggage.
Old 02-14-19, 03:01 PM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Some bikes can be packed into an airline-legal-sized suitcase in just a few minutes without the use of any tools, so traveling with your folding bike can be very simple.