Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Input welcomed. The more I research, the harder it is to make a decision.

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Input welcomed. The more I research, the harder it is to make a decision.

Old 02-18-19, 04:52 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by CodyDog
My desire for wider tire potential is based on future trail riding, a little hairier than your average gravel.
If you are really going to be spending more time on MTB trails, I'd look for something that will fit as much tire as you can. A 700x50+ tire, or some of the 650B options. Salsa Cutthroat comes to mind, and will even take a suspension fork. It is 2x compatible even if Salsa currently only sells it in 1x setups right now. The Cutthroat also has a bit more upright geometry than some others which may be good if this is your first foray into drop bar bikes? Sorry, I know this isn't one of the one of the bikes you originally mentioned.

On your original choice of the Checkpoint, when I rode one there was tons of space in the chainstays with the standard 35's. Some have reported 50mm tires fit, but tightly. I didn't see where on Trek's website they said it only clears a 35mm tire, just that it ships with one. What was your source on the 35mm downsizing? I personally didn't pick the Checkpoint due to the weight, my preference for SRAM parts and I didn't like the isospeed on the rear during my test ride. I picked a Warbird V3, and the closest to that is really the Revolt so between just the Revolt and Checkpoint, I'd probably go Revolt.
Old 02-18-19, 06:10 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
for $3K you should be able to check off all your cycling needs but first ya gotta figure out what your going to be using the bike for and focus on ones tat address that desired need
I only wish I had $3K my graveler is a 1990's steel bike 7 speeds 26 inch tires and I love it Using 26 X 1,75 tires and it is a beast to ride anywhere