Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Introduce Yourselves!

Old 11-28-10, 11:21 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Guess this is as good a place as any for my second post here (after my Intro post)

I bought my bike about 18 months ago as a way of getting around faster, having not cycled for 20-odd years and having not taken any meaningful exercise for 4-5 years (with a waistline to prove it). When I signed the credit card slip I honestly didn't know whether I'd found myself a new passion or bought myself a very expensive shelf for surplus dust.

I found the first 20-odd pounds just fell off me in the space of about six weeks but then slowly came back. But despite my weight being much the same I've dropped almost four inches off my waist and most of my clothes that were tight are now loose.

In terms of what I ride, a 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc. Everything coped just fine for the first 8 months or so, then I broke four rear spokes in as many months so put a Mavic Crossline rear wheel on it and despite being rougher with the Mavic than I was with the standard wheel it's holding up admirably.
Old 11-30-10, 07:13 AM
AustinEm

Bikes: Diamondback Serene Citi

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Happily Riding My New Bike

I ended up buying a Diamondback Serene Citi bike at Dick's on clearance and I couldn't be happier. I have been riding several times a week through my neighborhood and surrounding neighborhoods which include some inclines, which are challenging. It's amazing how much better I feel.

I am deathly afraid of dogs and that is what has kept me from getting out and walking or riding before and decided I couldn't let this anxiety rule my life. I bought some pepper spray which I carry with me and just getting out of the house and trying to overcome that fear has been very freeing for me.

Does anyone else use daily mile to keep track of their progress? I have friends there and it keeps me accountable.

Last edited by AustinEm; 11-30-10 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-30-10, 07:33 AM
jethro56 
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AustinEm
I ended up buying a Diamondback Serene Citi bike at Dick's on clearance and I couldn't be happier. I have been riding several times a week through my neighborhood and surrounding neighborhoods which include some inclines, which are challenging. It's amazing how much better I feel.

I am deathly afraid of dogs and that is what has kept me from getting out and walking or riding before and decided I couldn't let this anxiety rule my life. I bought some pepper spray which I carry with me and just getting out of the house and trying to overcome that fear has been very freeing for me.

Does anyone else use daily mile to keep track of their progress? I have friends there and it keeps me accountable.

The dogs around my house have given up on catching me. I track progress with a garmin FR60 system. Welcome!
Old 11-30-10, 07:45 AM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
As a backup to pepper spray, a shot of water to the face seems to stop them in their tracks. Be careful to maintain control of your bike.

Enjoy your ride!
Old 11-30-10, 07:49 AM
blamp28
Bikaholic

Bikes: Trek Fuel 90, Giant OCR, Rans Screamer Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome. I grew up with a fear of dogs so I understand your fear. I have been chased on my single and my wife and I have been chased on the tandem. So far, the adrenalin rush has provided enough energy to outrun the dogs long enough to get them to turn back since most dogs chase for Territorial reasons. She now carries a whistle which we hope will break their concentration in any future encounter.

As far as daily tracking, I use live-strong.com which will allow the tracking of both food and excessive through their daily plate connection.
Old 12-02-10, 01:07 AM
ElChefe

Bikes: Trek Mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello All,

I'm another big guy (although, I'll have to start using the term Clydesdale.... it's much more elegant than fattie), who has recently moved to Austin, TX. I've been trying to get into shape and I have been doing machine workouts during the week and biking on the weekends. I'm on a Trek 3500 mountain bike, with road tires. I've been working up to 30 mile rides so far, but all solo.

I've been here a month, and I've lost 9lbs so far. As I get in better shape, I hope to build a road bike. I'm looking to go from my current of 291 (5'8")to around 200.

So, hello to all my fellow Clydesdale and Athena Austinites...maybe we should get together for a ride?
Old 12-02-10, 01:32 AM
Clyde Tri

Bikes: Cervelo P2k, BP Stealth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6'2" 240lbs and built like a NFL linebacker. This is my first season back in training for triathlons since major back surgery in '06. I've always felt a sense of comraderie with the Clyde's and Athena's. We are genetic oddities in the cycling world and many manufacturers didn't have us in mind when they created their bikes. We were more of an afterthought when it came to aerodynamics.

My new ride is an ebay frankenstein pieced together to fit my weight, crank/BB torque, and aero positioning requirements. Cervelo P2K frame, Sram Red aero group, HED 3 wheels front/rear, and adjustable stem(for my back). My other frame is a Y frame BP stealth that I'm chomping at the bit to put together.

All hail Gary Fisher, father of the elongated top tube for us big & talls.
Old 12-02-10, 04:12 AM
jethro56 
Watching and waiting.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome ElChefe and Clyde Tri Good to have you with us.
Old 12-02-10, 08:26 PM
motob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting thred. I have been called Clyde by many people on group rides and centry/double centries. I ususally hear the comment from small people behind me--lets get behind this guy, this is great. Cycling has been great for me, no joint or back pain and the only thing to stop you is endurance and your training.

I 6'4" 240-245 currently. Before I got into road cycling almost 4 years ago I was 270 -275, then was told by my PCP that I may need to take oral diabetic medication soon. That kicked it over the edge. Picked up a road bike and just topped off 11,000 miles before the snow started coming down. Now I bug my Doc to get on a bike and loose the weight.

Favorite ride is with my group who are all about my same size and strength (its great to have 2 clydes side by side in front hammering 22-24 mph ripping it up on a flat). Favorite event is the one day Seattle to Portland 200+ miles mostly flat with a few rollers. Best ride for a group of 10 big strong riders that like to crank it up--even if you can't sit down for a couple of hours later without cramping (last time finished with a group at 20.1 mph with a tail wind from Longview in to Portland). Steep long hills are frustrating, despite the training, will never keep up the the twigs.

Bike is a receint upgrade to a Cannondale super six 63cm (just changed mind from a CAAD10). Lots of research on both frames seems like a good fit for someone 6'4" 240. Just put the money down at the LBS, now just wait for Santa to show up. 3 months ago rebuilt my rear wheelset to a velosity deep v with 36 spoke ultegra hub on the old bike. 1000 miles and verry much sold on the deep v build. It is verry responsive, tight, smooth, and solid--no need to tune or retrueing. Of course, had a master wheel builder lace it. I am definatly swapping the rear wheel set on the super six, and off to ebay the new rear wheel set goes. Thats been my biggest challenge with the bike and my size--popping spokes in the last year. Bottom bracket does creaks like an old door hinge on the old bike, hence we will see how cannondale's bb30 holds up to a clyde's torque.

Great thred for big people who like to push endurance and strength in cycling. I am convinced cycling is the great equilizer. Age, size, sex dosen't seem to matter. How hard you train and how many miles on the bike seems to equilize everyone. I am still shocked when a 70 year old guy stays right with me on a centry, then passes me on the hill and I am 46 and thought I was in good shape. Then a 25 year old shows up on a $10,000 Colnago with ooos and aaas and you leave him in the dust on you $1300 Motobecane. Where did that guy on the sweet bike go?
Old 12-03-10, 12:18 PM
CrazyTim

Bikes: Felt F85

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are some great responses in here. I hadn't heard the term Clyde before but I guess this is where I belong. 6'2" ~225lbs. I was an avid MTB in the 90's but after being hit for the 3rd time, which resulted in a broken neck, I decided to hang it up. Here I am 14 years later and ready to try some road riding. Hopefully my luck changes or my wife will get to enjoy my life insurance b/c I'm sure I've used up all my luck!

I told myself that I needed to do something about my weight when I saw the scale hit 230 a few weeks ago. I used to be in much better shape but I've slowly watched my weight grow from 200 to a high of 230. I think that long work days sitting at a desk and raising kids gave me an excuse to avoid exercise when I had some free time. Not anymore!!! My wife started running 1/2 marathons, which gave me a lot of motivation to get out and ride. I can't run without discomfort so cycling was a natural choice even though I'll tell you that I'm still a bit gun shy when I'm out on the road. I don't intend to race but I would like to do some local rides as well as the MS150 from Houston to Austin. My father-in-law is approaching 70 and rides the MS150 every year. This year I plan to ride with him.

What was interesting for me was to see how much technology has advanced the sport since I quit riding. I was also shocked at the sticker price for some units. I started looking at aluminum frames but after riding a few carbon fiber bikes, I was hooked. I had my choice narrowed down to a 2010 Specialized Roubaix Comp but this morning I got a call back from a guy who was selling a Cannondale Six13 that I looked at week ago. It turns out that he had some things come up and wanted to sell me the bike for what I had offered. So, even though I'm not getting a very trick Roubaix, I am getting a darn good Cannondale for far far less. I figure that if I don't like it, I can always sell it and buy the Roubaix.

See you all out on the roads!
Old 12-04-10, 01:46 PM
Team Ogre

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn Prelude, 2021 Giant Defy Advanced Pro Zero, 2015 Giant Trance

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jethro56
Welcome but I can't eat frozen pizza's either. I have to cook them first.
Haha..good point...yes I too like them cooked!
Old 12-04-10, 03:24 PM
Team Ogre

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn Prelude, 2021 Giant Defy Advanced Pro Zero, 2015 Giant Trance

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrazyTim
There are some great responses in here. I hadn't heard the term Clyde before but I guess this is where I belong. 6'2" ~225lbs. I was an avid MTB in the 90's but after being hit for the 3rd time, which resulted in a broken neck, I decided to hang it up. Here I am 14 years later and ready to try some road riding. Hopefully my luck changes or my wife will get to enjoy my life insurance b/c I'm sure I've used up all my luck!

I told myself that I needed to do something about my weight when I saw the scale hit 230 a few weeks ago. I used to be in much better shape but I've slowly watched my weight grow from 200 to a high of 230. I think that long work days sitting at a desk and raising kids gave me an excuse to avoid exercise when I had some free time. Not anymore!!! My wife started running 1/2 marathons, which gave me a lot of motivation to get out and ride. I can't run without discomfort so cycling was a natural choice even though I'll tell you that I'm still a bit gun shy when I'm out on the road. I don't intend to race but I would like to do some local rides as well as the MS150 from Houston to Austin. My father-in-law is approaching 70 and rides the MS150 every year. This year I plan to ride with him.

What was interesting for me was to see how much technology has advanced the sport since I quit riding. I was also shocked at the sticker price for some units. I started looking at aluminum frames but after riding a few carbon fiber bikes, I was hooked. I had my choice narrowed down to a 2010 Specialized Roubaix Comp but this morning I got a call back from a guy who was selling a Cannondale Six13 that I looked at week ago. It turns out that he had some things come up and wanted to sell me the bike for what I had offered. So, even though I'm not getting a very trick Roubaix, I am getting a darn good Cannondale for far far less. I figure that if I don't like it, I can always sell it and buy the Roubaix.

See you all out on the roads!
3 times?! Yikes! My friend and I ride out in the countryside up here in Illinois. When I first started riding with him, I was very leery about drivers out there who don't pay the least bit of attention or those who choose to text. Thankfully, it's really flat and straight roads so that at least gives us a chance. We have had two close calls this year, once was a new drive crossing a road at a no stop intersection and nearly 't-boned' us the second time was due to a dog sprinting a full speed to me. I swerved out into the road to avoid the collision and made the rookie mistake of not checking my mirror...man that was scary.

It's good to hear your story and good to know you're getting back in the saddle. I wouldn't mind riding year round but something about snow and frigid temps just turn me off to riding...time to bulk up in the gym! (not like i need it at 330...)

This year was the first year I rode and lifted and I seemed to lose weight (sorry fat...my weight hasn't shifted down yet) much easier. Check out Chad Waterbury's Muscle Revolution...google scribd and muscle revolution and you'll find it. Great routines for all types of goals.

Take care and ride safe and good luck shredding the pounds!!
Old 12-04-10, 11:47 PM
XSavageWalrusX
VLP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
im 15 6'4 and 260, I play football, and plan to start biking more for fun and to stay in shape during the off season.
Old 12-06-10, 08:28 AM
Bromo
Confuzzled

Bikes: Masi Gran Criterium, Surly Traveler's Check (frame - current project!), Fuji Crosstown 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 5' 11 1/2" and check in between 220-230lbs. I have a large frame, but also I carry fat as well. I am riding a Masi Gran Crit (2009) - and it is by far my favorite bike, hand;es like a dream, and is FAST.

My travel bike is just getting finished, a customer Surly Trav Check with S&S couplers I am planning on taking with me on my (frequent) travels. It isn't as fast, but it feels much more rugged and heavy. I have 2 sets of tires - a 38mm monster-Cross set for fire trails and light mountain biking, and a 35mm one for road.

I think the bikes built today are much sturdier than in the past (except the really truly high end ones - but even the group-sets at the top of the line are built for weight and not durability - the SRAM Red I understand will wear out much quicker than Force or Rival for instance).

I have found if I can cycle a few times a week, and watch what I eat (the latter being the most important part!) I can lose weight without feeling much like sacrifice. I dropped fomr 265lbs to 221lbs this past year (and gained again to 230 - which I will work on).

It is DEEP in snow here (Rochester, NY) so the riding season is really closed (except spinning) unless I'd go for one of those really fat tire bikes like the Fatback, Pugsley, Mukluk, etc). Except in my travels I'll end up in warmer climates ... so perhaps I will be stealing my season back!

FOrgot to add: Had so much fun biking that I signed up for a half century "Tour de Cure" with my fiancee (She'd be an Athena)
Old 12-06-10, 11:10 AM
bluteswagon
old un

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i dont keep track used to but if i have time i like 20 to 40 miles do roads and trails as for dogs i like a 357 discourages them from chasing bit noisy though
Old 12-06-10, 11:10 AM
Froggy

Bikes: Trek, Bacchetta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bromo:

Welcome to the group.

For long rides, check out your local MS society. It's likely that they will have a 150 mile bike ride (usually two days, 75 miles each day) scheduled at some point during high biking season. These are a lot of fun - don't let the 150 mile distance scare you as the route is typically chosen for riders of all abilities. The MS 150 in our area (Columbia, MO) has routes of 40, 75 and 100 miles each day with plenty of stops. My wife and I use the MS150 as out big bike event each year and train accordingly. We are also lucky to have a number of cycling groups who schedule training rides throughout the year so there is always someone to ride with.

Originally Posted by Bromo
I am 5' 11 1/2" and check in between 220-230lbs. I have a large frame, but also I carry fat as well. I am riding a Masi Gran Crit (2009) - and it is by far my favorite bike, hand;es like a dream, and is FAST.

My travel bike is just getting finished, a customer Surly Trav Check with S&S couplers I am planning on taking with me on my (frequent) travels. It isn't as fast, but it feels much more rugged and heavy. I have 2 sets of tires - a 38mm monster-Cross set for fire trails and light mountain biking, and a 35mm one for road.

I think the bikes built today are much sturdier than in the past (except the really truly high end ones - but even the group-sets at the top of the line are built for weight and not durability - the SRAM Red I understand will wear out much quicker than Force or Rival for instance).

I have found if I can cycle a few times a week, and watch what I eat (the latter being the most important part!) I can lose weight without feeling much like sacrifice. I dropped fomr 265lbs to 221lbs this past year (and gained again to 230 - which I will work on).

It is DEEP in snow here (Rochester, NY) so the riding season is really closed (except spinning) unless I'd go for one of those really fat tire bikes like the Fatback, Pugsley, Mukluk, etc). Except in my travels I'll end up in warmer climates ... so perhaps I will be stealing my season back!

FOrgot to add: Had so much fun biking that I signed up for a half century "Tour de Cure" with my fiancee (She'd be an Athena)
Old 12-07-10, 04:13 PM
AK Bat

Bikes: 1996 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo & an old dept store cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ElChefe
So, hello to all my fellow Clydesdale and Athena Austinites...maybe we should get together for a ride?
I'm game!
Old 12-10-10, 10:02 AM
Padley

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Allez elite triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just thought I would drop in and introduce myself. I just found the Clyde section of this site, was previously only in the Road Biking section. I'm 5'9" and 220lbs, built like a short linebacker. I'm a good mix of muscle and fat and am lucky that I have broad shoulders and a minimal gut for someone my weight. I started running earlier this year and ran a few 5k's (30.50 PR) and then started training for a 1/2 marathon in November. Part of my training was a 15k (9.3 mile) local race in October. I ran it well (1:37) but ended up with a foot injury that kept me from running for a whole month. I missed the 1/2 marathon and couldn't even run the 5k. So I got pissed and decided that I was going to start riding a bike. My dad has been riding for the last year, so I knew I would always have someone to ride with. And with it being almost no impact I figured the chance of wear-and-tear injury was less. Granted the chance of falling or getting hit by a car is something to consider but I'll risk it.

Well in the middle of not being able to run and slowly procuring all I needed to start riding I decided to go ahead and have the hernia surgery that I have been putting off for years. So now I am 2.5 weeks out from surgery and am already able to get back on the bike. I think I am going to try to get out of the office and do about 18 miles this afternoon.

I ended up buying an '05 Specialized Allez elite triple (E5 slx Columbus frame) from CL that only had 400 miles on it. It fits me perfectly and am thouroughly enjoying this sport so far. It is one of the more expensive hobbies I have though. Between the bike, pedals, shoes, helmet, clothing, water bottles, etc.. it really adds up. I still have more invested in my golf bag though, and golf costs every time you want to play. But compared to running the cost of entry into this sport is steep. Well sorry for the long post. I look forward to hanging around and learning from you guys.
Old 12-13-10, 06:31 AM
AustinEm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AK Bat
I'm game!

For my fellow Austinites, I will tentatively say I'm game but I hope you're not thinking of anything like riding on 360 just yet. I'm nowhere near ready for that at all! The baby hills in my area are challenging enough for me right now.
Old 12-13-10, 01:23 PM
Crazydad

Bikes: Yeti SB5, Canondale R500

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
For my fellow Austinites, I will tentatively say I'm game but I hope you're not thinking of anything like riding on 360 just yet. I'm nowhere near ready for that at all! The baby hills in my area are challenging enough for me right now.
Count me in too. The hills on Parmer/Ronald Reagan are not too bad...
Old 12-15-10, 07:36 PM
AK Bat

Bikes: 1996 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo & an old dept store cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agreed. That being said, I am not opposed to bringing up the rear!
Old 12-23-10, 03:37 PM
AustinEm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay folks, I don't know if this is a problem for just us larger riders or not, but after riding 10 miles last Sunday and taking some steeper hills than I'm used to, I have horrible pain in my right hip. I know exactly what it is and I have a feeling it came from sitting on my seat for too long because by the time I got back home, I could not wait to get off that seat. 24 hours later, I could barely walk and have a horrible pain in my posterior left thigh with some radiation down towards the knee. I have had bouts of sciatica before and this feels eerily similar to that, yet in a different location. It is getting better. It hurts more when I sit and feels better when I'm walking but I cannot really walk normally, which in the past usually ends up causing me further trouble from imbalanced walking.

I haven't ridden my bike since Sunday except for trying out my new thickly padded gel seat and it didn't hurt at all; in fact, the new seat cover feels wonderful but I'm going to give it another day.

Anyone else ever suffer the same injury, and how long did it take to fully recover? I'm actually excited to try out that new gel seat.
Old 01-01-11, 05:26 PM
rawly old

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ahhh, yoose guys are light weights. I'm 6'4", down to 280 from 350. 20 yrs ago I started
lifting weights as therapy after being runover. I got a bit carried away. I wasn't a body
builder per se. I was into power lifting, but then after putting on that much meat my joints
just couldn't handle it. As a kid into my 20s I was a cycling fool, but when i got hit it took
8 mos. to get where i could walk so, I spent a lotta time with weights making an upper body
that could move fast and far on crutches. by the time my legs started coming back I"d
forgotten about riding. I love the high country and prospecting so in summer I'd back-
pack all over using two walking sticks still carrying most of my weight with the upper
body. Started riding again at 60; still training hard. I've lost 70 pds. and am shootin
for 70 more by july.

Last edited by rawly old; 01-01-11 at 05:28 PM. Reason: omission
Old 01-02-11, 08:00 AM
RKDauph
Innocent Bystander

Bikes: Platinum 2011 Trek 7.5 WSD

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello all,

Just back into biking after nearly 30 years away. I'm 56 years old, 207.5 lbs with a BMI of 28.9 - can you say - feel like a slug? Quit smoking last February after 40 years and gained about 18 lbs.

Found this site which is way cool and found out I fit into two categories right away: I am a Clydesdale (pleasant term that) and the 50+ group.

I am looking forward to gaining from the wisdom of the group as I work on my goals for the coming year.

Here's my new ride:

Platinum 2011 Trek 7.5 Disc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo (3) copy.jpg (98.4 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by RKDauph; 01-02-11 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Not a woman's frame....
Old 01-02-11, 08:19 AM
jethro56 
Watching and waiting.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome I hope to guit smoking in march or whenever I achieve 210 lbs. Also 54 years old. Looks like your bike is a 7.5 Disc (a 7.5 WSD is a women's frame) Good job I have a Trek 7300 and if i was buying now I would have got one just like yours.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.