Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Walking as a Second Language

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Walking as a Second Language

Old 02-13-15, 03:33 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
On days that I drive to work I walk approximately 2 km from the parking lot to my office. I work in a large complex and have occasionally walked as much as 6 km between buildings on a single day. When I ride my bike I only have to walk about 1.5 km to my office, but sometimes still have to do the long walks around site.

I think a lot of folks around here take up walking for exercise when winter comes, but just as many get out their XC skis, and a much smaller group get their studded bike tires on.
Why is it: I like to walk, but yet if I go to a store, I'll circle around 3 or 4 times to get a parking space near the store? Yet I'll come home, and that same night stroll around my hay field/pasture for an hour and walk nearly 4 miles! (Guess I don't like walking in ugly parking lots!)
Old 02-14-15, 03:01 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Stucky
Why is it: I like to walk, but yet if I go to a store, I'll circle around 3 or 4 times to get a parking space near the store? Yet I'll come home, and that same night stroll around my hay field/pasture for an hour and walk nearly 4 miles! (Guess I don't like walking in ugly parking lots!)
I don't have enough... what... patience to drive around a parking looking for a bay close to the door. So it is normal for us to pick from the myriad vacant spots well away from the door. However, I can be an opportunist and if a spot closer is vacant, I'll take it.
Old 02-14-15, 11:12 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
I don't have enough... what... patience to drive around a parking looking for a bay close to the door. So it is normal for us to pick from the myriad vacant spots well away from the door. However, I can be an opportunist and if a spot closer is vacant, I'll take it.
I am the same way... unless I am passing a vacant spot on my way to the outer edges of the lot, I grab whatever space is available. Parking lots might look intimidating, but they are generally not all that big - the farthest you would have to walk at most malls is 200 or 300 meters - hardly a walk at all. The furthest I can recall walking is at an amusement park, and even then I don't think it is a whole km. And the very big parks generally have shuttles IME.
Old 02-14-15, 04:16 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I think I gained a walking habit when I was at school. I used to catch two buses to school, but sometimes I would walk from school into the city "interchange", about three miles. And on sports days, I might walk from school to the ground, which was also about three miles away.

When working in the city, I would do a fair bit of lunchtime walking, ostensibly to window-shop. And while I am not an avid hiker, I have done a reasonable number of day walks and one or two overnighters in my time.

And since I took up bicycle touring, I can park the bike and spend the better part of a day walking around a city seeing the sights.

Running I am less capable at, but the treadmill runs I have done for several years now have been strangely enjoyable, and effective in keeping my weight at a reasonable level.
Old 02-17-15, 06:24 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
I've reached 100 km of walking so far this year ... inside and out.

Recently ... Saturday I walked 7.27 km on the treadmill + today I walked 3.5 km on the treadmill + some outside walking.
Old 02-17-15, 06:26 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Machka
Maybe the new subforum could be called "Cross-Training" ... and would include all the exercise/sports things we do as cross-training, or to take a break from the bicycle for a bit so we don't overtrain, or just because we like doing a variety of things.

There Rowan and I could talk about our attempt at using our surf skis on the weekend The surf was big enough that it was almost like being on a kayak-style rowing machine. Good upper body workout ... my biceps and shoulders are still recovering.

@Mark Stone -- What are the chances we could get a Cross-Training sub-forum?

A place where we could chat about the stuff we do in winter to keep in shape like ... maybe ... walking, weightlifting, skiing, snowshoeing ...

A place where we could chat about the stuff we do in summer to mix things up and keep cycling fresh like ... maybe ... canoeing, hiking, surfing ...

Last edited by Machka; 02-17-15 at 06:50 AM.
Old 02-17-15, 07:18 AM
dave42

Bikes: 1989 TREK 400, Suntour accushift drivetrain. 80's Raleigh mtb all Suntour.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Stone
Definitely a wake up call! At least you got the wake up call (and answered it) before you had your own heart attack.

3.2 miles in 34 minutes is fast - a very brisk pace. Maybe I'm slower because of age, but I've discovered a good, gonzo walking pace for me is about 3.3 mph. And when I'm doing that I pass most of the other walkers. I wonder if I'm not actually walking faster than I have calculated, because it's a rare bird indeed that can keep up with me.
could be that you're walking a little faster. Last time i checked, pushing my bicycle on flat ground, i could comfortably walk 4 mph. If that's special, it's because of the jobs i've had in construction, where it's a hike to get to the truck, and we need a thing NOW. up a 20 % grade, pushing a 100 lb bike in the national forest recently, i set a comfortable walking pace, and it was just a tad slower than 2.5 mph. If i sped up a little, the speedometer kicked on at 2.5.

3 mph is a fair average for traveling purposes, if you ever decide to walk across the country.

When i was a kid, i walked or rode everywhere in my town of 60,000 or so. Across town and back would be about 20 miles, plus meandering. 30 mile days were normal. As were 30 mile hikes up in the mountains.

It seems that I am a more efficient walker than i am a cyclist. I could walk 30 miles today without food, and feel fine. Years of conditioning, by virtue of rolling out of bed each morning.
Old 02-17-15, 10:18 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I normally do about 3.8MPH walking on grass in rolling terrain (I could walk MUCH faster on level sidewalks- In Mid-town Manhattan I used to weave through the crowd of pedestrians like a drunken Porsche driver).

So we had a foot of snow yesterday (I didn't move far enough south, apparently!)....I go for a walk last night- took me 45 minutes to do ONE mile

So much snow got into my rubber boots (I don't keep real winter gear anymore...who'd have thunk it would be needed in "the South"?!) that when I got in, my boots were frozen on- had to wait for them to defrost for about 15 minutes before I could get 'em off!

Biggest single snow they've had here in 50 years....and it waited for me!
Old 02-24-15, 05:09 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

@Mark Stone -- What are the chances we could get a Cross-Training sub-forum?

A place where we could chat about the stuff we do in winter to keep in shape like ... maybe ... walking, weightlifting, skiing, snowshoeing ...

A place where we could chat about the stuff we do in summer to mix things up and keep cycling fresh like ... maybe ... canoeing, hiking, surfing ...

@Siu Blue Wind ... @CbadRider ...

Old 02-24-15, 05:13 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Lots and lots of walking lately ...

Week of Feb 9 ... 27.67 km

Week of Feb 16 ... 15.96 km (had to cut back a little bit because of arthritis in right foot)

Week of Feb 23 ... 15.79 km so far, and counting.

I've also started dabbling in light weightlifting a little bit again.
Old 02-24-15, 09:21 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
For the month, I have 26 logged walks totaling 51.52 miles.

Decided to try another route to avoid the mud (since like 1/3 of the usual route is grass/packed dirt)... and I should just stick with what I know.
Old 02-24-15, 09:38 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Why is it: I like to walk, but yet if I go to a store, I'll circle around 3 or 4 times to get a parking space near the store?
I'm the opposite. I always park at the far end of a lot. Less chance of a rogue shopping cart rolling into my truck.

Otherwise, most of walking comes on the golf course. ~ 6 miles twice a week.
Old 03-01-15, 06:37 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

I've walked 56 km so far in the month of January. Not bad, but that's a little off my usual pace.

February total: 81.74 km walking ... some on the treadmill, most outside.

I'm at 137.84 km so far this year ... back on pace for a 800+ km year.
Old 03-02-15, 07:44 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

And starting March off with ... walking 7.7 km outside yesterday.
Old 03-04-15, 04:21 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
While I love cycling, if I had to choose between cycling or walking as the only form of exercise I could take (very unlikely, I know, and I will continue to do both as long as I can), I think that walking would be my choice. For the flexibility, convenience, freedom, and cost.

I'm lucky to live on the edge of a coastal city, surrounded by and within easy reach of beaches, hills and mountains, with marvellous walking potential all around. I think that is why I prefer off-road cycling to road cycling - like walking it gives greater freedom to vary routes, less governed by tarmac, traffic and road signs.
Old 03-04-15, 01:37 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I just now reading a book about walking; "The Old Ways - a journey on foot" by Robert MacFarlane. He has trekked the ancient holloways and paths for thousands of miles in Britain and other countries. There is a relationship between learning and walking he reports. The word learning is from old English 'leorning' which is from proto German 'liznojan' which comes to us from proto indo-european 'leis. Thus following a path is synonymous with learning.

Certainly, many people at a crux in life may undertake a journey. One type of such a journey is to walk the Appalachian Trail or any of the other long trails of the world such as El Camino de Santiago in Spain among scores of others. I took up hiking and backpacking over 10 years ago and have walked several thousand miles in that time. I once walked a section of the Appalachian Trail in New Hampshire. I fell into a meditative state at one point and found myself at a steep overlook on the side of a mountain looking into a beautiful wild valley with no idea how I'd gotten there. I'd inadvertently lost the right path and had to backtrack several hundred feet of trail to the original trail and then to sort out which direction, left or right to go.

Exercising at a gym for me has the same appeal as walking over hot coals but to walk in wild country is a renewing experience.
Old 03-04-15, 04:53 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Quite a lot of walking in March so far ...

Monday 7.7 km ... commute walk + walk back from my lecture at the uni + and a walk to the beach.

Tuesday 3 km ... commute walk + a brisk walk at lunch to get some fresh air

Wednesday 7.2 km ... commute walk + brisk walk at lunch to get some fresh air + a rather lengthy walk from work across the Tasman Bridge to a location where a photography class was being held. Windy. Very very windy. I actually stumbled a few times going across the bridge because of the gusts. And at times, when we were trying to take photos, it was all we could do to hang onto our cameras on tripods and keep our camera bags etc. from flying away.
Old 03-07-15, 06:26 PM
Noonievut

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 127 Posts
I've been fighting some neck/shoulder issues after 20 years of working at a desk. All was good until this summer. Well, before then I had the odd tightness or discomfort, sometimes on the bike, but nothing that ever kept my attention.

I've made a lot of changes (desk, posture, stretching, icing, etc.) and have visited the physiotherapist and now a chiropractor. Despite a lot of 'work', the past few weeks I'm at a point where it's better than the worst it's been, but no where close to where I was a year or two ago. I now have really range of motion, so I'm not impeded in any way, but I find that any activities where I'm sitting, or using my arms a lot (or both -- cycling ) , leaves me with enough discomfort to take away from enjoying things. One hour rides have been fine. Much longer and I feel it. Trouble is when I'm more sore than normal the day or two after...can't be certain if it was the ride, or posture issues in the office.

Anyway...sorry for the rant, reason I'm posting here is I've never had any issues when walking/hiking. So as I continue to work through the neck issues, I have hiking and walking on the back of my mind as alternatives...hopefully not permanently. But that said, it's possible that my cycling might be limited going forward. Since having this neck problem, I've been doing some hikes, and a few walks. I like hiking. Walking around my neighbourhood isn't exciting. But if I could do no other exercise I would do it with a more positive attitude.

There are some great things about hiking - still enough equipment needed that if you like buying things (I do...a bit), there is the equipment aspect to enjoy; I like photography and this fits well on many hikes; I like planning/maps and again this works with hiking trails; I love nature. There isn't much about hiking I don't like, but I like cycling about 5x better (the workout, the feel of being on the bike...you probably all know what I'm talking about). And you can plan the big hikes.

There are fewer things I like about walking (I'm referring to tramping around paved paths, sidewalks around where I live) - so simple to get ready and start walking from your front door, little equipment needed, I feel great after. My main issue is that I crave fitness, and after a 1.5hr bike ride I feel like I've had a great workout, less so with a 1.5hr walk. In a similar vein, I have to spend more time walking to get an equal workout, and this becomes difficult on walks before work, or on evenings. I have a young family so time is precious.

I'm an easily motivated person when I read something...like people's blogs, books, or watch movies on the subject. There is a lot out there on hiking. But I haven't found much that interests me on walking...I would welcome your references!

Thanks for reading!
Old 03-11-15, 04:40 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Last evening ... 5.12 km. We had planned to walk over the hill to another beach, but spotted a "walk". Around here, there are lots of "walks" ... these are paths that connect streets to make it easier for pedestrians to walk from one place to another without having to go all the way around like the cars do. These "walks" are also paths that go to nature reserves. Many of these walks are signed, and this particular one promised a beach we had not been to.

So off we went ... and it was lovely! A path through the woods descending to a tiny quiet beach ... complete with "hoppies" (a generic term I use, and which I've heard a few other people use, to describe the various kangaroo-like creatures around). Tasmania doesn't have kangaroos ... but it does have wallabies, potaroos and pademelons. These were likely pademelons.

From there we walked along the edge of a low cliff, with views over the water, almost to the beach we had intended to walk to ... and home again.

It was a good walk, and a strenuous walk! And I particularly enjoyed seeing all the pademelons.

[HR][/HR]
All up yesterday, including my lunchtime walk, I walked 8.22 km ... the most I've walked in one day so far this year.
Old 03-11-15, 04:56 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Noonievut
There are fewer things I like about walking (I'm referring to tramping around paved paths, sidewalks around where I live) - so simple to get ready and start walking from your front door, little equipment needed, I feel great after. My main issue is that I crave fitness, and after a 1.5hr bike ride I feel like I've had a great workout, less so with a 1.5hr walk. In a similar vein, I have to spend more time walking to get an equal workout, and this becomes difficult on walks before work, or on evenings. I have a young family so time is precious.

I'm an easily motivated person when I read something...like people's blogs, books, or watch movies on the subject. There is a lot out there on hiking. But I haven't found much that interests me on walking...I would welcome your references!

Thanks for reading!
Walking can be done transportationally ... I go for a walk just about every lunch and often it's to run errands: to go to the chiropractor, to pick up this or that, to travel between the university and work, to return a book to the library, etc. I can get in a brisk 30-45 min of walking just about every day, and while it may not be as good a workout as cycling, it's better than nothing.

Also, with regard to the family ... walking is something you can do together. Walk to a park or beach or playground or whatever as a family ... then when you're there, run around and play with the kids.

Rowan and I walk together a few times each week, and I find that it is a good time to talk. When we cycle, we're focused on riding, traffic, road conditions, getting up hills, etc. ... and where we live now, that takes most of our attention. When we're at home, we're busy doing stuff. But when we walk, we're not distracted and can talk ... most of the time ... except when we're climbing the steeper hills around here ... then I've got to focus on breathing.
Old 03-14-15, 05:49 AM
Noonievut

I went for a 10k walk before work yesterday morning. I live in a residential area, so lots of houses. Stuck to a sidewalk and paved pedestrian path. It was about -5C if not colder. I listened to music which helped keep me interested, as there isn't much of interest to look at. Little sore in the glutes today, but not terrible.

Last edited by Noonievut; 03-14-15 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-14-15, 06:58 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Noonievut
I went for a 10k walk before work yesterday morning. I live in a residential area, so lots of houses. Stuck to a sidewalk and paved pedestrian path. It was about -5C if not colder. I listed to music which helped keep me interested, as there isn't much of interest to look at. Little sore in the flutes today, but not terrible.
Flutes?
Old 03-14-15, 07:47 AM
Noonievut

glutes (auto correct )
Old 03-14-15, 10:02 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The snow finally melted here. It was such a joy to be able to walk on solid ground again, and do my regular 3.8 miles in an hour. (Not to mention being able to ride my bike for the first time in a month!)
Old 03-18-15, 06:12 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
The snow finally melted here. It was such a joy to be able to walk on solid ground again, and do my regular 3.8 miles in an hour. (Not to mention being able to ride my bike for the first time in a month!)
Not too shabby I think the best I've managed was like 3.7 with favorable weather and traffic conditions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.