Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Walking as a Second Language

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Walking as a Second Language

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-15, 06:34 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by freeman45
Never, I despise walking. Hiking is ok, but anything else.. bleh.
The scenery changes too slowly, it get's boring fast.
But i'm part of a generation that needs to be entertained 24/7
That's too bad.
Old 10-12-15, 03:31 AM
hoodat

Bikes: Worksman Port o trike, Cozy cargo trike; both electric.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by freeman45
Never, I despise walking. Hiking is ok, but anything else.. bleh.
The scenery changes too slowly, it get's boring fast.
But i'm part of a generation that needs to be entertained 24/7
You notice small things when you're walking. There is a lizard who likes to sun itself in a certain spot on the sidewalk. It's almost like meeting a friend each time I see it. Even more interesting is a tiny burrowing owl just off a trail that likes to sit at the head of its burrow and watch the world go by. It blends in so well you would never see it any way but walking.
If you are observant walking the same route frequently doesn't get boring; quite the opposite. If a certain plant catches your eye you can watch it bud out in the spring, see the flowers form and then the seed pods. You wouldn't notice that if you walked a different route each time you went out.
Old 10-12-15, 03:46 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Walking is the speed we were designed to go! It can be boring if you're in an artificial environment- like ugly city streets with no greenery and just glaring cement and traffic, etc.- But to this day, I still fondly remember walking in the woods which I lived next-door to when I was an adolescent. I couldn't wait to get home from school and hit those woods! It was peaceful and quiet, and there were so many different "micro-environments" which changed every few hundred feet; and the ability to not just see, but rather "experience" the effects that the different seasons would have on the woods, really made me appreciate the splendor of the natural world- even what little bits of it that remained in the suburbs. 40 years later now, I don't think a day goes by that I don't think of those great walks! The sights and smells! ...and the thoughts and emotions they'd conjure!

The bright green new buds everywhere and inchworms, of spring.
The shade and greenery and sounds of life in summer.
The colors and briskness and rustling leaves of fall.
The barrenness and invigorating feel and snow of winter.....

These things made me want to live in a natural environment where I can experience these things every day of my life. The woods i used to walk in are now a non-descript developement of suburban houses.....but now I live in a place where I can live among the splendor of grass and trees and dirt and sky!
Old 11-05-15, 05:11 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

17.1 km on the week ending the 24th of October ... I was studying for my final exam that week
26.8 km on the week ending the 31st of October
22.8 km on the week ending the 7th of November ... so far. The week isn't quite over yet.

But I'm up to 910 km for the year.

Most of my recent walks have been with fitness in mind ... trying to build some strength.

I've also been climbing stairs and I've climbed at least 1470 flights since I started keeping track on Aug 17.
Old 11-06-15, 10:47 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by hoodat
You notice small things when you're walking. There is a lizard who likes to sun itself in a certain spot on the sidewalk. It's almost like meeting a friend each time I see it. Even more interesting is a tiny burrowing owl just off a trail that likes to sit at the head of its burrow and watch the world go by. It blends in so well you would never see it any way but walking.
If you are observant walking the same route frequently doesn't get boring; quite the opposite. If a certain plant catches your eye you can watch it bud out in the spring, see the flowers form and then the seed pods. You wouldn't notice that if you walked a different route each time you went out.
Some would have us believe the world is getting smaller. If you ride a bike, but even more so if you walk, it is soon discovered the the world is just the same size it has always been. The lower you travel the more you will see and the richer the experience. The corollary is that the faster you go the less you will see which produces the need to go even faster. It takes a deliberate effort to slow down enough to enjoy the present.
Old 11-06-15, 12:02 PM
yooperbiker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love walking (and hiking). Just a short walk after sunrise helps me wake up and get ready for the day. When we are on our sailboat in winter in Mexico we love walking on the beaches or hiking up the canyons and hills.

When just walking on flat terrain around our summer home I like to walk at a fast pace to get heart rate up, but I find that often I am looking around at the scenery and slow down without thinking about it. Then when I realize I've slowed down I start swinging my arms and start walking as fast as I can. Usually go through that routine several times over in the course of my walks.
Old 11-09-15, 08:19 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Now that the Boss Lady has retired, we have started walking again. Getting ready for Space Coast Half Marathon on Nov. 29th. After that I have the Walt Disney World's Marathon Weekend Marathon on Jan. 10th, then we have the Celebration Half Marathon on Jan. 31st.

We got out this AM for 3.53 miles. Yesterday was our longest walk in a while at 7.07 miles. Considering I rode 102 miles on Saturday, my knees are doing pretty well, but I do make sure my Cho-Pat Dual Action Knee Straps are good and tight. Tomorrow will be a faster paced 1.5 mile walk. Since I have the Horrible Hundred in Clermont, FL. on Sunday, we will be doing an eight+ mile walk late Monday night or early Tuesday morning.

371.89 miles walking 2015
6,239.22 miles bicycling 2015
22.14 miles swimming 2015
Old 11-29-15, 09:37 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Today I reached 1000 km of walking for the year!!
Old 11-29-15, 11:34 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Stucky
Walking is the speed we were designed to go!
+1

I much prefer bicycles (or at least motorcycles) to cars, because you're at least somewhat engaged with reality. Used to look down my noses at motorists and the comparative safety and insulation from non-virtual reality, but even the speed of a bicycle is a synthetic construct. You miss so much at 20 mph. We've spent a lot more time evolving to see the world from a walking pace, than from 50 or even 20mph. We're lucky we have all these options, but a nice leisurely walk is a luxury sometimes.
Old 11-30-15, 05:07 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Space Coast Half Marathon completed yesterday along with wife, daughter and 13yo grandson. Started together behind the entire field walking slowly. After about 1 mile, grandson and grandpa started to increase speed. Of course grandson finished before me.

Now it's off to the Best Western breakfast and then on to the Disney Dream for a cruise. Wife already has reservations for next year following the Space Coast Half but we will be on a week long Oasis of the Seas cruise then.
Old 12-20-15, 10:56 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Space Coast Half Marathon completed yesterday along with wife, daughter and 13yo grandson. Started together behind the entire field walking slowly. After about 1 mile, grandson and grandpa started to increase speed. Of course grandson finished before me.

Now it's off to the Best Western breakfast and then on to the Disney Dream for a cruise. Wife already has reservations for next year following the Space Coast Half but we will be on a week long Oasis of the Seas cruise then.
Congratulations! I've often thought about walking a marathon or half marathon.
Old 12-20-15, 10:57 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Just hit 1100 km of walking during 2015 today!

I had a really good week last week coming in at 38.2 km of walking! And a lot of that is up and down hills. No wonder I'm kind of feeling it in my calves.

This is in addition to cycling, climbing stairs and weightlifting.
Old 12-21-15, 08:10 AM
OldTryGuy

Originally Posted by Machka
Congratulations! I've often thought about walking a marathon or half marathon.
No time better than the present to register.
Old 12-21-15, 04:25 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
[h=2]The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry: A Novel[/h]

For those in need of winter reading, here's a great book about a man who left his house to take a walk and kept going. A touching story of discovery in so many ways.
Old 12-21-15, 08:00 PM
ltxi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Champlaincycler
The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry: A Novel

For those in need of winter reading, here's a great book about a man who left his house to take a walk and kept going. A touching story of discovery in so many ways.

Thanks....now just ordered this book.
Old 01-01-16, 12:44 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Starting the new year with a simple goal: 5 brisk walks per week, at least 30 minutes per walk, 150 minutes walking per week. I don't measure distances, for some reason that hasn't been important to me - just time on my feets and heart rate. It's strange because when I bicycle I'm obsessed with mileage
Old 01-01-16, 12:54 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Shoes: Over the past few months I've discovered painfully the importance of using fresh shoes, and replacing them every 4 months.

I purchased two pair of walking shoes about 3 years ago, an Asics Gel and a pair of New Balance 890v2. They were wonderful when I first got them, but over the years they died. But I didn't realize it. Eventually my back, feet and knees began to hurt and I couldn't figure out why. This past November I was reading around on the interwebs and saw several sources that claimed you need to replace yer shoes frequently.

I had dismissed these claims as mere marketing until the pain issue came up. I ordered a pair of New Balance 890v5 running shoes, and when I switched to them WOWSERS! I was like a new walker, and the pain was gone immediately. I had not realized the importance of keeping fresh kicks.

I guess keeping fresh shosies on my dogs is quite a bit more expensive than putting tires on a bike, but it's worth it for comfort and for being injury/pain free.
Old 01-01-16, 07:38 AM
OldTryGuy

Originally Posted by Mark Stone
Shoes: Over the past few months I've discovered painfully the importance of using fresh shoes, and replacing them every 4 months.

I purchased two pair of walking shoes about 3 years ago, an Asics Gel and a pair of New Balance 890v2. They were wonderful when I first got them, but over the years they died. But I didn't realize it. Eventually my back, feet and knees began to hurt and I couldn't figure out why. This past November I was reading around on the interwebs and saw several sources that claimed you need to replace yer shoes frequently.

I had dismissed these claims as mere marketing until the pain issue came up. I ordered a pair of New Balance 890v5 running shoes, and when I switched to them WOWSERS! I was like a new walker, and the pain was gone immediately. I had not realized the importance of keeping fresh kicks.

I guess keeping fresh shosies on my dogs is quite a bit more expensive than putting tires on a bike, but it's worth it for comfort and for being injury/pain free.
Many enthusiasts claim to get 300/400 miles on shoes before needing replacement. About every 3 months for many. I just replaced my Asics Gel Nimbus 16's with the newer 17's. Like walking on clouds. Wife and I were out today at 0545 for a 5K and saw the ISS, International Space Station, pass over head. I have the Walt Disney World Marathon next Sunday and hopefully it will be a bit cooler by then.

Enjoy your walks.
Old 01-01-16, 11:32 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Many enthusiasts claim to get 300/400 miles on shoes before needing replacement. About every 3 months for many. I just replaced my Asics Gel Nimbus 16's with the newer 17's. Like walking on clouds. Wife and I were out today at 0545 for a 5K and saw the ISS, International Space Station, pass over head. I have the Walt Disney World Marathon next Sunday and hopefully it will be a bit cooler by then.

Enjoy your walks.
What I'm going to start doing is walk with a new pair of shoes for 4 months, then start a new pair. I'll use both pairs until I feel a difference between the pairs (the older pair "dies") - at that time the older pair will become generic knock-around shoes and I'll use the newer pair exclusively for aerobic walking until the next 4 months pass. That seems to be an accepted tactic amongst all the walking websites and experts out there on the net

I loved my Asics when I first got them, but I like the New Balance just slightly more. I think NB fits my weird feets a little better.
Old 01-01-16, 11:36 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I used to walk more, mostly because it's compatible with photography, especially unplanned stuff like street/candid and found-object photography. But for several years after a car wreck I needed a cane to walk any distance. That tended to hinder spontaneous photography until I switched to lightweight P&S cameras that I could operate one-handed.

But for exercise and the sheer pleasure of moving I much prefer bicycling. Since resuming riding a few months ago I wonder why I waited so long to start again - other than that pesky poor balance and cane thing, which I suppose could have been resolved with a recumbent trike. Long walks felt more tiring than invigorating. Bicycling feels more invigorating, and I usually have a burst of energy after a relatively brief rest.

I still take lots of photos during bicycling ventures, but it's less compatible with street/candid snaps around the city. Great for my rural routes, though. I stop whenever something catches my eye, and ride alone so I'm not holding anyone up.
Old 01-01-16, 12:04 PM
OldTryGuy

What I'm going to start doing is walk with a new pair of shoes for 4 months, then start a new pair. I'll use both pairs until I feel a difference between the pairs (the older pair "dies") - at that time the older pair will become generic knock-around shoes and I'll use the newer pair exclusively for aerobic walking until the next 4 months pass. That seems to be an accepted tactic amongst all the walking websites and experts out there on the net

I loved my Asics when I first got them, but I like the New Balance just slightly more. I think NB fits my weird feets a little better.
At marathon events I've spoken to front runners who have 2 to 3 pairs of shoes. The 2 pair runners continually go back and forth during the week. They feel it gives the soles time to heal. Those with 3 pairs reserve the one pair mainly for racing with only taking them out occasionally to keep them fresh.

Originally Posted by canklecat
I used to walk more, mostly because it's compatible with photography, especially unplanned stuff like street/candid and found-object photography. But for several years after a car wreck I needed a cane to walk any distance. That tended to hinder spontaneous photography until I switched to lightweight P&S cameras that I could operate one-handed.

But for exercise and the sheer pleasure of moving I much prefer bicycling. Since resuming riding a few months ago I wonder why I waited so long to start again - other than that pesky poor balance and cane thing, which I suppose could have been resolved with a recumbent trike. Long walks felt more tiring than invigorating. Bicycling feels more invigorating, and I usually have a burst of energy after a relatively brief rest.

I still take lots of photos during bicycling ventures, but it's less compatible with street/candid snaps around the city. Great for my rural routes, though. I stop whenever something catches my eye, and ride alone so I'm not holding anyone up.
Walking is no where near as much enjoyment as biking and swimming is even less enjoyable, but the three comprise an Ironman triathlon so I have no choice but to walk and swim since additional Ironman tris will be in my future.
Old 01-01-16, 12:32 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

At marathon events I've spoken to front runners who have 2 to 3 pairs of shoes. The 2 pair runners continually go back and forth during the week. They feel it gives the soles time to heal.
That sounds like a great idea. I hadn't thought about the possibility that shoes would need time to recover, but it makes sense. I actually have 2 brand new pairs of the 890v5s, and was planning on breaking the second pair out in April - but it may make more sense to be using them both since I'm walking 5+ days per week. Thanks for the info
Old 01-02-16, 11:40 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

I'm running around these walking websites and discovering that someone my age (almost 63) should be walking 4 mph to get a good workout. I get a great workout while walking (measured by HR and time) but travel "only" 3.3 mph. On the walking trails I pass some walkers, others pass me, so my impression is that 3.3 is a good pace, although I'm not going to win any olympic gold with it lol . . .
Old 01-02-16, 05:43 PM
OldTryGuy

I'm running around these walking websites and discovering that someone my age (almost 63) should be walking 4 mph to get a good workout. I get a great workout while walking (measured by HR and time) but travel "only" 3.3 mph. On the walking trails I pass some walkers, others pass me, so my impression is that 3.3 is a good pace, although I'm not going to win any olympic gold with it lol . . .
3.3 mph is a good walking pace. If you throw in extra long arm swinging and hip rotation you can increase your aerobic workout. Many people try to increase speed without considering efficiency or the additional impact it can cause to the body resulting in injuries. Race walking is in a class by itself as is speed walking and power walking.
Old 01-04-16, 01:06 PM
tramptrade 
Some Canuck on a Bike

Bikes: Cannondale, Brodie

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love walking almost as much as cycling.

We have 2 high-energy dogs (mini-Aussies) so they get taken out for a 30-40 minute ball-chase and a 5km (3 miles) walk every day, unless the weather is just to crappy to get out. Some days the walk may be longer, but rarely shorter.

Add to that a weekly fishing or hiking trip and I get a fair amount of walking done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.