Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Introduce Yourselves!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-09, 06:39 PM
Big_Hindu
I are Big Hindu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll post up too:

I am 20, 6' ~250 lbs, student. I started biking because I wanted to get around my campus better and I couldn't think of a better way. Picked up my bike in late august, rode a lot up until winter then stopped. I lost around 10 lbs just because of the biking. Gained the weight back because I was pretty inactive during the winter. Started biking again last week and have been loving it. I am trying to get in shape and build my stamina now. We'll see how this goes.

My most recent pic of my bike: Giant Boulder se

Old 04-23-09, 09:14 AM
Injun_Josh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably biggest guy here.

Hi. New here.
373 Pounds.... yeah. 5'11, 27 years old.
So little about myself. I'm married and have a beautiful little girl. Always have been a bigger guy as I am built like an NFL lineman. seriously. I curl around 100-110 with one arm, bench over 300. but alas I have let myself get WAY too fat. Last year i got a raleigh venture 4.0. Its a wonderful bike and the Shimano EF-50 EZ Fire trigger shifters, are most awesome. A few years back i was up around this weight so i went on a starving myself diet. I went from 380 all the way down to 261. But after a year that diet finally crashed and I have put back on almost every single one of those pounds. I just recently stepped on a scale and realized this. When I saw I had gained back all my weight i was furious with myself! So a friend gave me some good advice and I have decided to take it. I am going to start living a healthy lifestyle rather than just dieting. A big part of this is gonna be climbing back on my bike. Although I am such a big guy, i love riding my bike I know I will never be able to race competitively but each week I am gonna try to race myself and beat my times. I am committed to this and hopefully will be updating you guys on some very good progress
Old 04-23-09, 09:37 AM
Injun_Josh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably biggest guy here.

Hi. New here.
373 Pounds.... yeah. 5'11, 27 years old.
So little about myself. I'm married and have a beautiful little girl. Always have been a bigger guy as I am built like an NFL lineman. seriously. I curl around 100-110 with one arm, bench over 300. but alas I have let myself get WAY too fat. Last year i got a raleigh venture 4.0. Its a wonderful bike and the Shimano EF-50 EZ Fire trigger shifters, are most awesome. A few years back i was up around this weight so i went on a starving myself diet. I went from 380 all the way down to 261. But after a year that diet finally crashed and I have put back on almost every single one of those pounds. I just recently stepped on a scale and realized this. When I saw I had gained back all my weight i was furious with myself! So a friend gave me some good advice and I have decided to take it. I am going to start living a healthy lifestyle rather than just dieting. A big part of this is gonna be climbing back on my bike. Although I am such a big guy, i love riding my bike I know I will never be able to race competitively but each week I am gonna try to race myself and beat my times. I am committed to this and hopefully will be updating you guys on some very good progress
Old 04-24-09, 06:51 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
My name is B.J. Ondo, I'm somewhere between 230 and 250 most the time, I've been adding my 2 cents over in the 50+ area on Bike Forums but felt I should introduce myself here too. I'm currently riding a 09 Jamis Trail-X 3.0 MTB, that's being coverted to say a "Rail-Trail Path/Semi-Road" bike. LOL, I thought I was going to get my wife of almost 30 years to become a "Singletrack Rider" but alas, she's smarter than I and doesn't see the idea of bouncing off rocks, root, ect. as a "Good Time"

We got back into bicycles after a 3 year off period, mainly due to "financies", (as in severe lack of!) and to do something "together". I also re-found the "enjoyment" of bicycling again and it does help me keep my weight in check. I'll stop by from time to time and check out what's going on here, it's incouraging to read the success stories and let's me know we who are large are all in this bicycle thing together!

Old 04-26-09, 07:48 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
I hit a personal high of 221 two weeks ago - I'd never been over 220 before. That inspired me to watch my diet and start working out during lunch. Combined with weather finally warm enough for some long rides, I was down to 217 Friday.
My intent is to exit the clydesdale category by end of summer
Halfway there!
Old 04-30-09, 11:33 AM
ColdEspresso
Powered by Espresso

Bikes: Orbea

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all... I am 53 years old and 235 at 5'9". After about a 15 year absence from cycling, I have bought a Orbea Lobular to get back into shape. This site has been a great resource and this thread has been very encouraging so I wish everyone all the best of luck achieving their goals.
Old 04-30-09, 03:41 PM
Panic
Rocking the roads of Bama

Bikes: Trek 1200, Masi Gravel

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome ColdEspresso, we're practically neighbors - I'm in Athens, AL.

--
Okay short update - went to Dr for check up, all my numbers are much improved and she was quite pleased with my 17 lb weight loss. Go back in two months, and hopefully I'll be 20 lbs lighter and I'll drop another medication.
Old 05-02-09, 12:34 AM
gunslinger14647

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everybody! My name's Chris, and I'm a clydesdale (in chorus: "Hi, Chris!). I started riding about two years ago and got down to about 185, from nearly 220. Last summer, I got MRSA in my right leg, which nearly killed me, but instead destroyed my ankle. Months of rehab and low activity shot me back up to 232!! I felt like a house on stilts. Started back up the first part of this February and, through diet and riding, have managed to get to 200. My immediate goal is 180, and then see how I feel at that weight. You all seem like nice folks, but I'd prefer to be banned from this section. The bike I ride is a 2006 Trek Madone 5.2, with Race Lite wheels. For those of you wondering if you can ride a bike like this, I say go for it. I haven't broken one spoke, and I ride quite a bit on terrible roads (High desert, California). Did have to replace the seat with a Specialized Toupe, though, to keep the who-whos from going numb. Great saddle; give it a try.
Old 05-02-09, 11:08 AM
brianh70
Fat guy on a fat tire.

Bikes: Nirve Paul Frank "Helicopter Bike"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello -

Another newbie here. I ran across this forum when doing a search for cycling and weight loss. I'm about 6' tall, 38 years old, and around 240 pounds. I set a goal for myself which I call "40 by 40": I want to lose 40 pounds by the time I turn 40. I have a Nirve cruiser that has been sorely neglected in the garage until just last week when I repacked all of the bearings, checked all the spokes, inflated the tires, and gave it a bath. I was winded after a short ride, but I'm going to keep at it.
Old 05-02-09, 01:45 PM
carls82
Considerably Larger Rider

Bikes: 2007 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am utterly amazed at the quantity of people in the Clydesdale category.

I'm 6' 2", 340 pounds, down from an all-time high of 380 in January. I started Weight Watchers in February and I combined it with getting back on a bicycle. I've owned a Schwinn Super Sport with everything stock except the wheels and tires. I upgraded to a 700x35 tire (the bike came with 700x28 I believe) and the bike shop had to replace two sets of rims for me until they found something a little sturdier, a Xero XSR3 I think it is. I wasn't thrilled with their choice because I went from a 32 spoke wheel to a 24/20 spoke setup, but that setup has lasted nearly 800 miles now.

I finally broke the headset on the Schwinn this past Wednesday while getting ready to leave from work. I went to tighten it because everything seemed a bit loose up front, and sure enough within the first quarter-turn I ripped the cap bolt right through the top. Now I'm looking to just replace the bike because this one never fit that well anyway. I'll probably be getting a Jamis Aurora Elite from Trophy Bikes in Philly. They seem like a nice shop and gives me a reason to hop on a train and go into the city.

Eventually I'd love to be down around 200, as I've been a fatty all my life. When I do get there I'll be sure to take up racing as a hobby.
Old 05-04-09, 04:21 PM
icctrombone

Bikes: Panasonic touring bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this thread has encouraged me. im 48 yrs old 5'9" and 210. I used to love riding bike but the move to Staten island ny has deterred me from riding ( very hilly). But im determined to get back in the fight.
Old 05-04-09, 04:26 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Hey icctrombone!

Check out the Northeast section, come out for some night rides! Yeah, you'll have to take the ferry back and forth but on a nice summer evening that's not such a bad prospect

It's the year of the enema!
Old 05-05-09, 11:04 PM
roaster boy

Bikes: '08 Surly Crosscheck, '80 Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all,
I'm 6'4' and around 265, down from 320 or so 4 years ago. When my daughter was born in '03, I decided I didn't want to be her "fat" dad, so I decided to make a change. I began watching what I ate, and how much of it it ate, and also switched to a less sedentary job. Previously, I worked retail for over a decade, and just over three years ago got a job as a professional coffee roaster, which coincided with the opening of my and my wife's coffee shop. Now instead of dealing with glass beads in half kilo bags, I'm dealing with green coffee in 70 kilo bags. The first month I lived on ibuprofen.
Last summer I began commuting the 5+ miles with an old Jazz I picked up in the early nineties, and in the fall I upgraded to an '08 Surly 62cm Crosscheck, which is mostly stock for now with the exception of some Conti Ultra Gatorskins and lights. I'll probably have the lbs build me a nice set of bomb proof wheels, since the OEM Alex rims and Deore hubs have a tendency of losing spoke tension. I thought that was what I really wanted in a bike...
In January I built up a "dedicated" winter bike using an '80 62cm Schwinn World Sport that I rode fixed 42x18 with 35c Nokians. I say "dedicated" because it's the bike I grab first when riding socially or just for running errands. I ended up adding a fresh set of gatorskins and replacing the chainring with a 47t surly stainless for a bit more on the high end.
Last fall I had given myself to goal of breaking 30mph geared, and recently have had to bump that up to 35. I love the look that a guy my size gets when drafting the spanditos at 18-20mph, but what can I say, I've got inertia on my side.
Old 05-15-09, 04:49 PM
mikeybikes

Bikes: Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started recently commuting to school/work using my new bicycle.

I'm 220 lbs right now and picked up bicycling as a way to lose weight, keep the miles off of my car and to help the environment.

I ride a pretty much brand new Specialized Sirrus and love the bike. I've got a few accessories to buy that I think it needs, but here is how it stands (or rests...):
Old 05-15-09, 06:04 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Just had my semi-annual physical. I'm officially overweight, 208 at 6' 2.5". But...

Total cholesterol 121, which is 4 points below the preferred range. Full workup shows all my numbers are great. She asked if I use herbs or something. Lol. No, I just ride a bike and eat decent food. The occasional Hostess Cherry Fruit Pie is my vice.

So off to my favorite Mexican restaurant was I, for a couple of beers and a Qeusadilla Super (chicken) to celebrate.

Maybe I'm bragging a bit, but that was some good news.

Oh, and the EKG machine went bezerk thinking I was having a heart attack, because my resting heart rate was 51. Haha.
Old 05-15-09, 06:28 PM
Panic

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Just had my semi-annual physical. I'm officially overweight, 208 at 6' 2.5". But...

Total cholesterol 121, which is 4 points below the preferred range. Full workup shows all my numbers are great. She asked if I use herbs or something. Lol. No, I just ride a bike and eat decent food. The occasional Hostess Cherry Fruit Pie is my vice.

So off to my favorite Mexican restaurant was I, for a couple of beers and a Qeusadilla Super (chicken) to celebrate.

Maybe I'm bragging a bit, but that was some good news.

Oh, and the EKG machine went bezerk thinking I was having a heart attack, because my resting heart rate was 51. Haha.
Great report. My doctor was quite impressed with my numbers last check up. Still need to fix my tryglycerides, but they will drop with meds. Hopefully in 3 months, that's the only med I'll need.

Down 21 lbs now, and that's with a trip to New Orleans last weekend
Old 05-16-09, 11:28 AM
koamileli

Bikes: too many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6'3 205lbs ive got 2 SS roadbikes, 1 fixie, 1 geared roadrace bike, and 2 mountain bikes. ive never had any issues with bikes crumbling beneath me, and im quite an aggresive rider, especially in the city. I have bent a few axles and cranks, but that was my fault (landing on the flat) even a relatively cheaper frame can hold up if outfitted with the right components and not being blatantly ******** when you ride.
oddly id never even really heard the "clydesdale" term till just recently. im in a new demographic and didnt even know it! keep ridin, big dudes.....
Old 05-16-09, 11:34 AM
koamileli

Bikes: too many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cant say r-e-t-a-r-d-e-d on here? hahaha. Hey Panic, how is it that youre overweight??? did your doctor tell you that? I recently had a complete physical and was told I was ideal and im 6'3 205. however when I was in the military, the BMI tests always labeled me as overweight, but the structure of the whole BMI thing was bogus anyway. according to them, for my weight I shouldve been like 6'7. WTF
Old 05-20-09, 12:25 PM
MikeM21

Bikes: '96 C40, '04 C50, '04 Merlin Magia, '97 Stumpjumper, '04 Specilaized Roubaix

Liked 562 Times in 178 Posts
Brian, you have motivated me!

Originally Posted by brianh70
Hello -

Another newbie here. I ran across this forum when doing a search for cycling and weight loss. I'm about 6' tall, 38 years old, and around 240 pounds. I set a goal for myself which I call "40 by 40": I want to lose 40 pounds by the time I turn 40. I have a Nirve cruiser that has been sorely neglected in the garage until just last week when I repacked all of the bearings, checked all the spokes, inflated the tires, and gave it a bath. I was winded after a short ride, but I'm going to keep at it.
I am now ready to embark on the 50/50 plan. Fifty pounds by age 50. I'm starting at 46 yrs old (and 3 months), 6'1" and 268 3/4 #s.

I was an avid rider for years and rode my Specialized Roubaix to work everyday (all of 3 miles). That bout I went from around 275 to 235 and ran a 10K. Then, I put away the bike about three years ago and just never took it back off the rack. I went out for a ride last fall and broke a spoke.

It's time to get a set of wheels built and hit the pedals again. I've also got a Merlin Magia that I bought myself at the height of my riding. My secondary goal will be to get back on the Merlin. I'll need to lose 20-30 lbs. before I'll feel comfortable doing that.

Thanks to Brian and the Clydesdale section for getting this fat rider back in the saddle.

Mike
Old 05-20-09, 01:52 PM
Panic

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I'm a little bummed. Got knocked off my bike by a dog (that thread is the road bike area "well he got me") and my shoulder is good enough to ride, but my bike isn't back yet. I still need to change the tape when I do get it back. Anyway, I need to ride!!!!
Old 05-20-09, 06:33 PM
Oo-v-oO

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Synapse 5 Alloy, Trek ZX6000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, all. Just stumbled across this forum.

I recently turned 41 and I'm about 5'8" and 230#. I used to cycle everywhere when I was a kid, but as soon as I got my license I didn't pick a bike up again until about 5 years ago. My motivation to begin riding again was to get in better cardiovascular shape - I couldn't trot up a flight of stairs without getting winded - and if I lost some weight that would be great, too. Now I'm in reasonably decent shape but haven't really lost much if any weight.

I'm an amateur radio operator and our club supports a lot of public service events throughout the year. A good number of these are cycling events, and I began to realize that if some of the people I saw participating in these events could do it, then I certainly should be able to myself. Three years ago, I did double duty in one of the events, the Seacoast Bike Tour which goes from Portsmouth, NH up the coast to Ogunquit, ME then back to Portsmouth the next day. I set up a radio on my bike and both participated and supported the ride by being on the course for communications.
There are several courses - the first year I did 25 miles on Saturday and 35 on Sunday; the next year I did 35 and 35, then this year I got a partner to ride with me and we did 63 and 35. Each year I ride further but feel better after the event is over - it's great!

As for bikes, I have a couple. I try to ride year-round whenever possible, but because NH loves to put the salt to the roads I have a "sacrificial" Schwinn MTB that I rescued from behind someone's shed where it had been laying on the ground. It's seen a number of winters already and was at one point stolen and dumped in the river for a month or so. It certainly is not pretty but it serves the purpose.
My main bike is a Trek Multitrack 7100 (I think). It is what I usually ride on the road in the Spring, Summer, and Fall. It's a nice bike but I'm getting the itch for something a little lighter.
I also have a Trek 6000 MTB that was given to me. I started getting into some mountain biking with coworkers last year and it was a lot of fun, very different from road riding.
Finally, I have a '89 Cannondale SR300 that was also given to me. Nice and light, but it's a 60cm frame and is probably a bit large for me. I think I'm going to get a set of tires for it and a set of downtube cable stops so I can relocate the shifters to the handlebars and give it a try.
I have to have upright bars on my bikes - my gut is too big and I can't breathe well bent over with road bike bars.

Glad to see that I'm not the only... larger guy to get out and ride.
Old 05-21-09, 08:54 PM
thorton
Big Guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After destroying a few bikes at 450-460 pounds I have dropped down to 320. Picking up a new bike this weekend (problally Kona Dew) def missed riding. So Hi everyone, anyone else from Ontario around here?
Old 05-22-09, 06:00 PM
WantaBetterLife
Tricycle rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wonderful thread. I love reading the experiences of others, it inspires me.

I took a picture a month ago and when I saw my stomach I almost had a heart attack. I am 6" 250lbs and turn 40 in August. I have been to the gymn on and off over the years (more off than on) and the last years saw me going from a steady 225 to my current weight.

I've always wanted to ride seriously since a friend of mine introduced me to it back in the 90s, but I was always too busy with work, school, chasing girls, yadda yadda. This friend of mine Paul was an avid cyclist and actually inaugurated with 2 other friends the Kingston to Negril ride in Jamaica which is now an annual event.

Recently another friend of mine started riding and I decided to join him, so I bought a little bike and am off and running, here's a picture of my ride

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_uwh3ViPNG2...6052009298.jpg

On my second outing last weekend I huffed and puffed my way through 7 1/2 miles and I am hoping to do one better this weekend. I am also planning to be a regular during the week as I dont think I will get any benefit at all if I only ride 1 or 2 times per week.
Old 05-22-09, 06:04 PM
WantaBetterLife
Tricycle rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The next Kingston to Negril ride will be in October, I wonder if I could enter and try for 70 miles (half of the journey)

Lemme see 1/2 miles now, 70 miles 5 months from now...........
Old 05-22-09, 07:07 PM
Panic

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by koamileli
I cant say r-e-t-a-r-d-e-d on here? hahaha. Hey Panic, how is it that youre overweight??? did your doctor tell you that? I recently had a complete physical and was told I was ideal and im 6'3 205. however when I was in the military, the BMI tests always labeled me as overweight, but the structure of the whole BMI thing was bogus anyway. according to them, for my weight I shouldve been like 6'7. WTF

5'11" and was 257, down to 235, but since I got knocked off my bike by a german shepherd I'm up to 240. Need to get my bike back from my mechanic friend, so I can get more miles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.