Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Front derailleur doesn't reach large ring, even when push with hand

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-20, 05:04 AM
Michaelashley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I've just upgraded my bike to all 11 speed and have just put on the front derailleur, however I'm having issues getting it to shift the chain to the largest ring. I did all the usual of cable tension and limit screws (having it at its loosest) but I still couldn't get it to shift. Even when pushing it down by hand I can't get it to move far enough to pick up the chain and get it to stay on the largest. Am I missing something? I took it to the bike shop today, but it's a two week wait as they're so busy atm! Any suggestions welcome. I tired to upload an image but it would let me post...

I've got;
FD - sinmano 5800
Crankset - FSA Vero pro JIS 52/34T
BB - Square Taper JIS
Old 05-21-20, 06:20 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
For 11 speed Shimano you have to follow their specific instructions. What we did before no longer applies. To compound the issue, first and second generation 11 speed vary. https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-FD0002-05-ENG.pdf
Old 05-21-20, 07:55 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Old 05-21-20, 08:08 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
As other said, you need to tune it according to Shimano's instructions. It's very detailed and easy, in fact.

If you are not sure or if there is still odd noises after you're done adjusting it, hand it over to your LBS and let them do it properly. Last thing you want is premature wear or component failure.
Old 05-21-20, 07:52 PM
CerveloS5

Bikes: 2014 Cervelo S5 Di2

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 13 Posts
I just upgraded to a Shimano Ultegra r8000 11speed crankset and had a similar issue. It seemed no matter what adjustment I made, the FD (Ultegra 6770) wouldn't swing far enough out to push the chain from the small ring to the big ring. Based on the recommendation of a forum member here, I removed the chain and started my adjustments from scratch. First, I set the the height of the FD. Next, I screwed in the 2mm screw (that adjusts the FD to be parallel to the chain ring) just so it was touching the bracket. Then I put the FD in the big ring position and adjusted the High limit until it was outside of the big ring. Then I reinstalled the chain and it worked perfectly. Very gratifying to do it on your own especially when the bikes shops are scheduling 2 weeks out!
Old 05-21-20, 11:42 PM
intence

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As others have said, I just went through this last week. R8000 is different and you need to follow the instructions. Once I did, I actually had too much tension on the FD (actually it's angled a bit as well which I need to fix) and the rear of the derailleur cage hits my crank in the big ring.

Just start over, align the derailleur and go step-by-step with Shimano's instructions, you should be able to get more than enough tension that way. Also, there's a tension adjust screw on the R8000 which should make things a bit easier to fine tune once you're almost there.
Old 05-22-20, 06:34 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
Originally Posted by Michaelashley
FD - sinmano 5800
I dont think its been asked/mentioned yet- there is a little pin just below the cable fixing bolt atop the long arm. Have you rotated that pin 180 degrees? Google it, the pin affects cable route/tension.

...though this assumes you can manually push the FD out far enough. Its really odd that even with no tension and the limit screw out of the picture, the FD cant swing far enough to push the chain onto the big ring. What is the chainline of the crankset?...is it somehow too far away from the frame?