Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Component Help

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Component Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-20, 11:18 AM
cthompson8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Component Help

Hi, I am fairly naive as it comes to bike components so you'll have to excuse me if this question seems elementary or misguided. I am looking into swapping out the crankset on my 2015 Cannondale SuperSix Evo Black Inc and could use some advice on options. I love to climb but am not strong enough to do what I want comfortably on my current 39/28 low gear and would love to get that ratio to 34/28 or so. Currently, I have cannondale hollowgram SL crank arms, a cannondale si spider (with SRM power meter but wouldn't be too worried about losing that), and 54/39 praxis rings. All other components are Dura Ace 7900 (10spd). I'd appreciate any advice on moderately economical options that I could pursue. Thanks in advance
Old 10-06-20, 11:35 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Sounds like you have a 130mm BCD cranks, so just swapping to a 34t ring isn't an option (the ring is too small to fit) and I wouldn't want to lose the power meter.

Swapping out the cassette is likely the easiest and most affordable option, if your rear derailleur can handle a 32 tooth cog (you'd likely need a new chain, too).

​​​​​​
Old 10-06-20, 11:46 AM
cthompson8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Sounds like you have a 130mm BCD cranks, so just swapping to a 34t ring isn't an option (the ring is too small to fit) and I wouldn't want to lose the power meter.

Swapping out the cassette is likely the easiest and most affordable option, if your rear derailleur can handle a 32 tooth cog (you'd likely need a new chain, too).

​​​​​​
Correct it is 130mm, sorry I meant to mention that. My rear derailleur is maxed out currently with 28 teeth. Would swapping that out for a larger cage be a simpler fix?
Old 10-06-20, 12:28 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by cthompson8
Correct it is 130mm, sorry I meant to mention that. My rear derailleur is maxed out currently with 28 teeth. Would swapping that out for a larger cage be a simpler fix?
Yes. Don't forget to get a longer chain to handle the 32 tooth cog
Old 10-06-20, 12:41 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
It's confusing to understand what you have and what you are wanting.

Your current crank has 54/39 rings and your cassette is 11-28 ten speed?

Shimano or SRAM derailleurs? With Shimano, the exact model number of the DR can make a difference, don't know how SRAM specs them myself.

Whether you change rings, cassette or both, then you have to take into consideration the DR's you have. Otherwise it may not handle things like the amount of chain slack you'll have when in the small small, or the DR won't physically clear the big cog on the cassette. Front DR's can have issues with smaller chain wheels than what is normal for pairing with the big ring. And... etc.

You might expect this thread to get moved to the Bicycle Mechanics sub-forum. That's where you get help with mechanical issues like this.

Last edited by Iride01; 10-06-20 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-06-20, 01:23 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
If you don't mind losing the SRM, just go on eBay or to your local Cannondale dealer and buy a compact replacement spider for your crankset. Here is one for $60: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cannondale-...AAAOSwI2xbftQU. Then just bolt on some compact rings.

You will need a special tool to replace the SRM with a regular compact spider.

Alternatively, you can replace the RD with a longer cage option and go up to a 32 or 34 cassette. You may be able to use a Wolf Tooth adapter in lieu of a different RD, but I am not sure. Regardless, you would need a longer chain. I'm on Sram, not Shimano, but if I am going to do heavy climbing, I will put a longcage RD and 12-32 cassette on my rear wheel. the 39-32 is approximately the same gearing as 34-27.
Old 10-06-20, 05:00 PM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
If you don't mind losing the SRM, just go on eBay or to your local Cannondale dealer and buy a compact replacement spider for your crankset. Here is one for $60: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cannondale-...AAAOSwI2xbftQU. Then just bolt on some compact rings.

You will need a special tool to replace the SRM with a regular compact spider.

Alternatively, you can replace the RD with a longer cage option and go up to a 32 or 34 cassette. You may be able to use a Wolf Tooth adapter in lieu of a different RD, but I am not sure. Regardless, you would need a longer chain. I'm on Sram, not Shimano, but if I am going to do heavy climbing, I will put a longcage RD and 12-32 cassette on my rear wheel. the 39-32 is approximately the same gearing as 34-27.
I think your best bet is to replace the crankset based on what you're asking. You've got a quite a few options in that respect. Another route is upgrading everything to 11 speed to gain the extra gearing range.

For reference, I built up a 2015 SuperSix Hi Mod frameset a few months back with SRAM Red 22 and used a 50/34 Red crankset with a PF30 BB. It's matched to an 11-32 cassette.
Old 10-06-20, 06:42 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
My CAAD 12 came with 11-28 cassette and 52/36 crank set. I just swapped to an Ultegra 50/34.