Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Weekend Ride Reports -- August 10/11

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-19, 02:46 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

Tell us all about your cycling. Looking forward to some photos!
Old 08-10-19, 04:10 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Saturday -- wintery wind and rain today. So Rowan and I Zwifted instead.

Distance: 17.43km
Elevation: 428m
Moving Time: 1:22:34
Elapsed Time: 1:22:34

Speed: Avg: 12.7km/h | Max: 82.1km/h
Heart Rate: Avg: 135bpm | Max: 169bpm
Cadence: Avg: 74 | Max: 107
Power: Avg: 93W | Max: 178W

Old 08-10-19, 01:50 PM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Sat: First ride on my new 25mm gatorskins i mounted to my Enve Tubs using Caden tape. Installation was super easy and let them set up for the required 24hr. Shop ride went 42mi on one of our flatter routes with only 1700' but I did bump up a PR on one of the very short hills and increased my KOM on another. Luckily I did because my friend right behind me beat my old time so I would have lost it. 1 week till D2R2.. so after tomorrow's MTB ride i'll be doing some easy rides but nothing much.
Old 08-10-19, 07:36 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,983 Times in 1,775 Posts
Saturday - Still focusing on the climbing this month. Went out today on the Y-Foil planning on doing at least 4000 ft of climbing. But on the hardest climb of the first lap I really struggled to get over the top of it. Once I crested I realized the rear was flat. Found a self tapping screw in that also got the rim some too. Swapped the tube and padded the rough spot in the rim with a dollar bill to protect the new tube. Took it easy the rest of the lap and swapped it out for another bike.

For the second lap I decided to grab my favorite bike even though it's not geared for climbing as well as several others are. From the get go it felt great to be back on this one. Added in more uphills on this route around. The two final climbs were pretty tough as it was getting hot and I was tired

Finished the morning doing around 55 miles with right under 4700 ft of climbing. And I got stung again. That is the 4th sting in the past 2 1/2 weeks. I'm not believing all the concerns over bees dying off....
Old 08-11-19, 04:51 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts

I led a club ride that was intended to be a B level ride but shorter than the club's existing B ride. We call it the Alt B ride. For people who don't want to spend most of their Saturday riding when they have gardens and houses to tend to. There were 4 of us and it was a very social ride with a couple of bursts of effort. Near the end I did a 3.6 mi. pull into a headwind at 20.3 mph. Exhausting but satisfying. Overall we did 32 mi. at 14.6 mph w/1790 ft of climbing. Strava and Garmin both change elevation numbers so I always go with my Garmin Edge numbers.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2607143844

Last edited by bruce19; 08-11-19 at 04:55 AM.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 08-11-19, 06:56 AM
jbchybridrider 

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 149 Posts
Instead of riding to Fox Creek mtb park I drove there and did single track all day. There's been an arctic blast the last week too, absolutely freezing windy and rain today and a mud fest, perfect conditions I say This mtb riding is hard work though, if I'm not road bike fit when the warmer months come round I better retire.
I managed to fix the internal cables rattling in the top and down tubes too. Makes a huge difference to the ride without that happening.

Last edited by jbchybridrider; 08-11-19 at 07:05 AM.
Likes For jbchybridrider:
Old 08-11-19, 06:59 AM
jbchybridrider 

https://www.relive.cc/view/rt10007317987
Old 08-11-19, 07:52 AM
jbchybridrider 

Old 08-11-19, 08:38 AM
jbchybridrider 

Just one more seemed stuttery on my phone but worked well on the tablet

Old 08-11-19, 04:16 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,983 Times in 1,775 Posts
Sunday - Went out for a more relaxing ride than yesterday's. 24.58 miles with 1881 ft of climbing. I was on the wonderful De Rosa this morning and stopped a lot to take pictures.

Old 08-11-19, 06:39 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
In spite of low miles and diminishing watts lately,

got out for the 'worker's ride' after the club century event last weekend- lightly supported, with a burger & a beer at the end.

Some nice fog in the morning, giving way to 80s and windy later.

At the lunch stop, talked to a young German gal who rode solo from New York, on her way to LA. She said she saw very few other cyclists.

109, 8k'

If you want to check out my form, it can be seen here @ about 1:30 red jersey, no backpack.

Likes For woodcraft:
Old 08-12-19, 08:50 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
Just under 75 miles yesterday. Lots of rolling hills. Excellent weather except for a few miles of fog. Averaged 15.6MPH.

Old 08-12-19, 09:20 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
This is the middle summer time here in FL. Everyday is a cookie cutter forecast. High 70's to low 90's with lots of humidity. Thunderstorms likely. Heat index is triple digits. Thursday, after work, did my 27 mile Davis Is. ride. The road going out to the boat launch was closed off at both ends by the police. My thoughts jumped immediately to something bad, but it turned out they were filming a commercial. There was a lady motorcyclist riding up and down the road as a crew in a van filmed her. Saturday I rode to Weedon Is. and then back to Davis Is. for 45 miles. Sunday I went through Town and Country and back on the Courtney Campbell trail. 42 miles.

Strange little farm in the middle of Town and Country urban/suburban area. A friendly cow came over to say hi.
Old 08-12-19, 10:43 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Only one "serious" ride this weekend and I paid the price for poor preparation. I planned on a 50+ mile group ride Saturday morning, but got antsy Friday night and made some changes to the road bike I planned to take: new, shorter stem, compact drops, etc.

So stayed up late fiddling with the bike and took a 15 mile ride around midnight to be sure everything worked. Much better -- less strain on my neck and shoulders.

But instead of getting some sleep I stayed up all night piddling with the bike, watching TV, etc. I'm not a morning person, and I'd already slept late Friday, so I figured I'd be better off staying up, getting an early start.

Nope.

By the halfway mark (actually 35 miles for me, since I ride 10 miles to the meetup point) I was wiped out. It was just starting to get hot and was still humid. I recognized the onset of heat exhaustion, so I told the group to go on ahead and I went home. Good thing, because if I'd pressed on to stay with the group I'd have been a burden on them. I made it home okay but was so miserable I slept for 12 hours, pretty much all Sunday.

Felt fine Monday morning, got an early start and did 23 miles while it was still cool. Even with a flat tire I still made it home to beat the heat.

I'm usually pretty good in Texas heat, having coped with it all my life, and I'm careful about gradually building up my heat tolerance starting in May. I probably drink twice as much water with electrolytes as most folks I ride with. And usually everything's fine. But I neglected getting enough real sleep -- not just "rest" but actual sleep.

Won't make that mistake again... this year. By next summer I'll fool myself into thinking I'm heatproof again.

Health's Angels, nice group of folks from the Fort Worth area. This was the halfway point where some of us turned back home to beat the 100+F heat.

On the plus side, I finally got the old-ish '93 Trek 5900 set up properly for my gimpy neck and shoulders.

Last edited by canklecat; 08-12-19 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-12-19, 10:56 AM
Txbluelacy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing exciting except I put 24 miles on my trusty ol Rockhopper 29er and 7 miles on my first road bike, a Trek Emonda ALR 5. Love it! So freakin fast and nimble compared to my mountain bike