Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Ebike car free question.

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Ebike car free question.

Old 12-04-19, 06:58 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I have lived a car free life since 2005 in four states. It's possible. I have a motor scooter for my powered wheels. Everyone talks about getting groceries. I get groceries delivered every week problem solved, not weather dependent. Most grocery chains have delivery or free pickup now a days. Online shopping helps you to purchase things and get them delivered. My ebike is my primary commute vehicle weather permitting. I scooter about three days a week now. This past week, we got hit with a major snow storm. This is my first winter commuting on a ebike. If I need a car, I rent one for a weekend or a week. Renting a car is cheaper than lyft/uber. Besides Enterprise picks you up.

Recently my scooter was stolen. The weather was bad so I replaced my scooter with another one. I decided that it would be too hard to live with non motorized wheels. Ebikes are the affordable hybrid vehicles around. Funny thing was days before I was thinking do I really need a scooter. I do enjoy some motorized vehicle in my life. In the winter, the bicycle route/roads that I take take a few days longer to clear of ice/snow. My scooter commute routes take a couple of days to clear with temperatures over 40 F. I think my bike routes take about 4 days over 40 F to clear. Maybe 5 days.

For the last week, I've been catching public transportation to work. We got over a foot of snow and the roads/side streets still have not cleared. The main streets have cleared with some icy spots. We're expecting two more minor snow storms over the next few days. I miss riding both my ebike and scooter. Sidewalks here are still snow packed and icy. Catching the bus to to work is ok. The time that it takes is double my bicycling commute time. My scooter is the fastest way for me to go to work. Funny thing is I prefer to ride the scooter when it's colder than my bicycle. I do have regular bicycles, but as others have said once your ride and ebike you don't go back as much.

My newest question on ebikes is are hub drives better than mid drives in the snow. My early thinking is yes, throttle bikes might be a little better in the snow. Anyway, it can be done.

I got into cycling to lose weight. So far this year, I've lost 20 lbs. My goal is to lose 100 lbs total by next summer through diet and exercise. I got the ebike to stablize my commute times home. Which took about 40% more time than getting to work. Commute times for a 12 mile one way commute are: 20-40 mins scooter, 45-60 minutes ebike, and 110-130 minutes on public transportation.

Oh yeah, I commute on a 2017 Raleigh Retroglide IE. Next year, I want to get a Townie Go 8i. My two other choices are the Blix Sol, and Giant LaFree E+1. My choices are internal hub and/or belt driver. What are your thoughts? I have Bullhorn handlebars on all my bikes. I love the vertical posture and the cruiser style.

Last edited by alloo; 12-04-19 at 07:02 AM.
Old 12-04-19, 08:37 PM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by alloo
My newest question on ebikes is are hub drives better than mid drives in the snow.
I have a Bosch mid-drive with a derailleur system on the rear, and it works really well in moderate amounts of snow (up to 10cm). I find that having the pedal assist rather than throttle gives me good control and the same immediate feedback through my pedals as an unpowered bike; I can compensate immediately for any slip in the drive wheel, and the studded tire on the front gives excellent steering control. Of course, I have to ride more slowly than I do in summer, but that's just common sense.

If there is more than 10cm of snow on the ground, I take the bus - usually it is cleared or packed down enough witthing a day or so.

And yes to grocery delivery!! Best thing ever.
Likes For Buglady:
Old 12-04-19, 08:40 PM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Whoops! Double post, sorry

Last edited by Buglady; 12-10-19 at 06:53 PM. Reason: double post
Likes For Buglady: