Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

militarycyclist.com

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

militarycyclist.com

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-17, 04:31 AM
wvridgerider

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Surly Karate Monkey, Specialized Fuze, Bianchi Volpe, too many others and a lot of broken frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 21 Posts
militarycyclist.com

Anyone ever use this? I would like to find out before I submit any info.
Old 02-21-17, 07:39 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I did a whois search against the militarycyclist.com domain name but it is registered by a proxy privacy service and so there is no way to tell who owns it.

Manta shows https://www.manta.com/c/mhk5p29/militarycyclist-com
Old 02-21-17, 03:11 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
They have a Facebook page. Good place to start to check 'em out, read the customer comments. And check LinkedIn, Arizona business records, etc., to see if they seem legit.
Old 02-21-17, 03:36 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I'm not too keen on their Return Policy. In short, only unopened accessories/gear that is in "saleable condition" may be returned- bikes can't.
Old 02-21-17, 04:35 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Being in the USMC from 89-98, I get suspicious of anyone trying to sell things that target military members. They know our newbies are young, have spending money, and are sometimes susceptible to buying needlessly overpriced items.

We had a place outside Camp Pendalton, a slimeball place called Giant Jewelers. Too many boots taken in by smooth lines and pretty sales girls. I never fell for it or cared to buy anything there, but I knew a few that did. Most regretted the purchase the next day after sobering up.

So when I see something like this, my radar for scam detection goes into gear. Just some sixth sense I picked up from my military days.
Old 02-21-17, 10:42 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Ditto, friday's cautions. Every military town is full of those scam artists, from the brick and mortar shops to the door to door salespersons. Everything from jewelry to tattoos to by-the-minute girlfriends to encyclopedias to life insurance. It's a predatory environment.

I'd believe a business that offered special discounts to active duty military, law enforcement, etc., but one that claims to cater exclusively to military? Unless it's the base PX I'm skeptical.
Old 12-20-17, 09:53 AM
MilCyclist.com

Bikes: 2016 Marin Pine Mountain 2, 2015 Marin Mount Vision 8, 2017 Masi Evoluzione Ultegra Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey All!
Sorry we’re a little late to the thread (make that more than a little late)!
We appreciate your concerns about MilitaryCyclist.com and would like to take this opportunity to reply!

We’re a military family ourselves (my wife is active duty USAF) and started this business out of our passion for cycling and the frustration of not seeing bike shops willing to work with those who serve or give service members and veterans discounts.

The bike industry is a bit of an odd duck in that it’s still very focused on brick and mortar and the concept of buying online is foreign and downright scary to many brands out there. To get our start, we had to agree to strictly work within the bounds of the military community. Since we can’t meet face-to-face, we devised a system that lets users quickly and easily verify their service status. We don’t ask for sensitive information such as SSNs, DOB, or anything else. Most people use a VA card, honorable service certificate, or if they’re still active duty, their .mil email address. It’s quick and works much like other sites such as govx who ask for service verification before providing military related perks.

We have our corporate home in Arizona with our main operations based out of the Mississippi Gulf Coast. We hold licenses in both states and carry the same liability insurance as any reputable bike shop would.

Our domain is indeed registered through a proxy service. The reason for this is two-fold: 1) Spam reduction - there are companies whose sole purpose is to send spam mail and email to the WHOIS contacts and they send lots of it; 2) Security - besides reducing spam, using a proxy service adds an additional layer of security against bad actors who have nothing better to do than steal identities or hijack domains.

We tried to build our return policy as flexibly as possible, but realize with the feedback here that we need to do a better job communicating that. In short, we’ll gladly take a return, but draw the line at someone using a product for a few weeks and then returning it even though it’s not defective. We’re a small business and simply can’t absorb the losses involved with these types of returns like big-box stores can. Every product we sell is backed by the manufacturer’s warranty, and we stand behind that 100% and will do everything in our power to help the buyer with any claims. We’ve always worked with our customer's needs, whether that’s shipping a bike halfway around the globe or installing additional components at no extra charge.

Please feel free to ask questions and reach out to us! We’ll gladly answer them!

Daniel
Founder
Old 12-20-17, 12:03 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by MilCyclist.com
Hey All!
Sorry we’re a little late to the thread (make that more than a little late)!
We appreciate your concerns about MilitaryCyclist.com and would like to take this opportunity to reply!

We’re a military family ourselves (my wife is active duty USAF) and started this business out of our passion for cycling and the frustration of not seeing bike shops willing to work with those who serve or give service members and veterans discounts.

The bike industry is a bit of an odd duck in that it’s still very focused on brick and mortar and the concept of buying online is foreign and downright scary to many brands out there. To get our start, we had to agree to strictly work within the bounds of the military community. Since we can’t meet face-to-face, we devised a system that lets users quickly and easily verify their service status. We don’t ask for sensitive information such as SSNs, DOB, or anything else. Most people use a VA card, honorable service certificate, or if they’re still active duty, their .mil email address. It’s quick and works much like other sites such as govx who ask for service verification before providing military related perks.

We have our corporate home in Arizona with our main operations based out of the Mississippi Gulf Coast. We hold licenses in both states and carry the same liability insurance as any reputable bike shop would.

Our domain is indeed registered through a proxy service. The reason for this is two-fold: 1) Spam reduction - there are companies whose sole purpose is to send spam mail and email to the WHOIS contacts and they send lots of it; 2) Security - besides reducing spam, using a proxy service adds an additional layer of security against bad actors who have nothing better to do than steal identities or hijack domains.

We tried to build our return policy as flexibly as possible, but realize with the feedback here that we need to do a better job communicating that. In short, we’ll gladly take a return, but draw the line at someone using a product for a few weeks and then returning it even though it’s not defective. We’re a small business and simply can’t absorb the losses involved with these types of returns like big-box stores can. Every product we sell is backed by the manufacturer’s warranty, and we stand behind that 100% and will do everything in our power to help the buyer with any claims. We’ve always worked with our customer's needs, whether that’s shipping a bike halfway around the globe or installing additional components at no extra charge.

Please feel free to ask questions and reach out to us! We’ll gladly answer them!

Daniel
Founder
It seems extraordinarily limiting to only offer your business to 1% of the US population.

Do you run a larger business with a more open model and have the military section as a separate entity that offers discounts to the 1% but draws from the same inventory? That would make more sense. But then, why just just offer a military discount?
Old 12-20-17, 12:24 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the LBS here , has a former part time Guy who was Career Coast Guard, now They Ship to the Kodiak Island Base,

he got his fellow Coasties interested in Fat Bikes and riding year around.
Old 12-20-17, 01:03 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Does anyone have a login that can actually look at pricing?

Doubt it is a scam, more likely just a place that gets people to think they are getting the best price because they are a "member", when in reality others may be cheaper, because they know they will never price shop. I.e., the Amazon approach...
Old 12-20-17, 01:16 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
If you're getting all sorts of perks, is it really "service"?
Old 12-20-17, 01:43 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Does anyone have a login that can actually look at pricing?

Doubt it is a scam, more likely just a place that gets people to think they are getting the best price because they are a "member", when in reality others may be cheaper, because they know they will never price shop. I.e., the Amazon approach...

They have a closeout on a 2017 Merckx San Remo 76 with Ultegra DI2 for $2600. Same price you can get from Colorado Cyclist.

Not much selection, better prices on certain things can easily be found elsewhere.
Old 12-20-17, 01:46 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre

The perks are for those of us who don't deserve them, to be sure. The ones that do deserve them are no longer with us. I buried a few of them in my time, all of them younger than I was at the time.

"Service"? No, I guess it's a benefit for signing up for something that can cost you your life I suppose If you want to be pedantic about it.

To your point...I'm sheepish enough about these "perks" resulting from my "service" as it were, that is for sure.
Old 12-20-17, 02:29 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,590 Times in 3,780 Posts
Thread closed for Moderator review.
Old 12-20-17, 03:08 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11960 Post(s)
Liked 6,629 Times in 3,477 Posts
Gentlemen, there's no need for the overreaction, it was a simple misunderstanding. Aplcr0331 is simply saying the US soldiers who really deserve the perks are no longer with us. No need to take the politics any further, thank you!
Old 12-20-17, 07:04 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Yes.

Nobody said it was charity work, which you seem to be confusing it with.
Old 12-20-17, 07:09 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,983 Times in 1,775 Posts
Well I don't know anything about this business but Ocean Springs, MS is right outside Keesler AFB. I spent 3 weeks there TDY a couple of years ago and the riding around Ocean Springs was great. Only real time I've had on miles and miles of smooth pavement vs chipseal.
Old 12-21-17, 11:35 AM
MilCyclist.com

Bikes: 2016 Marin Pine Mountain 2, 2015 Marin Mount Vision 8, 2017 Masi Evoluzione Ultegra Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
It seems extraordinarily limiting to only offer your business to 1% of the US population.

Do you run a larger business with a more open model and have the military section as a separate entity that offers discounts to the 1% but draws from the same inventory? That would make more sense. But then, why just just offer a military discount?
We're happy to say that we'll be expanding our business in the coming year to the general market, however, some brands will still be limited to the military/veteran/government community.

This largely goes back to the industry quirk where some do not want to have their products sold online to the general public, but only delivered through a brick and mortar store (this is a controversial subject with many strong opinions out there).

Marin Bikes is a perfect example where we're the ONLY authorized online dealer in the country with direct shipment to the customer's doorstep. We were able to secure that partnership, among others, only because of our niche market focus. I'm not saying it's been easy, but it's how we got our start and are able to work with a community we're deeply passionate about.
Old 12-21-17, 11:40 AM
MilCyclist.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Well I don't know anything about this business but Ocean Springs, MS is right outside Keesler AFB. I spent 3 weeks there TDY a couple of years ago and the riding around Ocean Springs was great. Only real time I've had on miles and miles of smooth pavement vs chipseal.
Ocean Springs does have some great rides, especially into Gulf Shores National Park.

If you're ever back at Keesler AFB again, drop us a line! There is a great cycling community here with some incredible places to ride where you can easily go for a hundred miles on smooth roads without a traffic light in sight. Mountain biking isn't half bad either.
Old 12-21-17, 01:19 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Since you are self promoting are you Going to pay the fee, as a Forum Advertiser Now?
Old 12-21-17, 01:31 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Since you are self promoting are you Going to pay the fee, as a Forum Advertiser Now?
He didn't start the thread.
Old 12-21-17, 02:24 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
There hasn’t been any promption by him, he came here answering questions about his website/business. Then the piling on started in about how he operates, making people feel welcome here would make them more disposed to becoming paid advertisers here.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 12-21-17, 02:30 PM
fietsbob
Banned

No Room for a Bicycle on a Submarine .. [was on SSB(N) 608]
Old 12-24-17, 01:35 PM
WingSuit

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If a particular retailer, on line or otherwise, does something to warrant criticism then so be it, military affiliated or not. However, broad stroke criticism of companies operated by veterans, or offering perks to veterans and/or active duty military is shortsighted and uninformed. In case no one noticed, there’s a heap of folks out there who have served, esp in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks who are doing great things, in business and government. Anyone try Black Rifle Coffee? Ever hear of Senator Cotton, the guy who served as an Infantry Platoon in Iraq leader AFTER he got his Harvard law degree. Or maybe Gov. Eric Grietens, the Rhodes Scholar Navy Seal Officer. (Wait didn’t John Kerry say only stupid people joined the military, like him I suppose). Or Rep. Tammy Duckworhh, who got her legs blown off by an RPG while landing the Black Hawk she was piloting.

Many non veteran businesses offer discounts to vets, Lowe’s for example. Even famously liberal Starbucks had an initiative to hire veterans.

So give these guys chance to succeed. You too could could have been one of that one percent you comment on, all you had to do was enlist or take a commission, spend a few years away from your town, have a haircut and make you bed.