Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Madone SLR vs Venge Pro

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Madone SLR vs Venge Pro

Old 10-24-19, 01:27 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Madone SLR vs Venge Pro

Am trying to decide between these 2 bikes.

Pros and cons of the Madone:
+ Red (which is obviously faster)
+ Force eTap, which is the groupset i want
- Potential BB90 issue - if it happens, i will have to ship the bike internationally for service
- Comes with lower trim wheels

Pros and cons of the Venge:
+ Light
+ Service issues will be a lot easier to handle
+ Comes with wheels that have the same aero profile as their top end ones
- Comes with Ultegra Di2 - so i will likely switch to eTap at some point

Honestly, were it not for the BB90 issue, I'd get the Trek. It looks bad-ass and is specced exactly as I want.

Anyone ridden both bikes and have any comments on how they feel? Which one feels more nimble/lively/quick to accelerate? Or any ownership experiences that i should know of, before i pull the trigger?

Re the BB90 issue - is it just a matter of adding loctite or swapping the BB cups to slightly larger ones?

TIA.
Old 10-24-19, 05:29 AM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
BB90 is a deal killer to me and I am a fan Ultgra DI2 so easy choice for me. But I thought the Venge was available with etap.No?

oh, no cups on BB90, just bearings pressed into frame. I like these bbinfinite guys. I might try their stuff for my BB30 Cannondale.

Last edited by DOS; 10-24-19 at 05:46 AM.
Old 10-24-19, 06:27 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

The Venge on eTap is teal. Teal! Gah. It's a proven fact that bikes need to be red/black - and the black frame is Ultegra Di2 only.
Old 10-24-19, 06:28 AM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
The Force costs more, weights a lot more, is less reliable, with inferior braking and shifting quality. Other than that, it’s good
I ended up buying a 2019 Madone SLR (rim brake, DA Di2) after testing it against the Venge. The Venge is a bit more lively but rides super harsh, and feels less compliant. Both bikes hold speed really well. On looks alone the Madone wins hands down. Other than having to clean my bottom bracket couple of times due to riding in rainy muddy waters, I’ve had zero issues with the bb90. Love the Madone!
Likes For Noctilux.95:
Old 10-24-19, 09:53 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
The Venge on eTap is teal. Teal! Gah. It's a proven fact that bikes need to be red/black - and the black frame is Ultegra Di2 only.
I don't see a single Venge with teal coloring.

I could do without any more blackety black black black frames though.
Old 10-24-19, 11:56 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
OP- What small tropical island are you on?
Old 10-24-19, 12:24 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Noctilux.95
The Force costs more, weights a lot more, is less reliable, with inferior braking and shifting quality. Other than that, it’s good
I ended up buying a 2019 Madone SLR (rim brake, DA Di2) after testing it against the Venge. The Venge is a bit more lively but rides super harsh, and feels less compliant. Both bikes hold speed really well. On looks alone the Madone wins hands down. Other than having to clean my bottom bracket couple of times due to riding in rainy muddy waters, I’ve had zero issues with the bb90. Love the Madone!
That really is the key to press fit bottom brackets; stay on top of the maintenance. Pull the crank at regular intervals and inspect the bearings. Unfortunately for me, I am not mechanically inclined, so I usually just have them replaced because they are so cheap.
Old 10-25-19, 08:49 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I don't see a single Venge with teal coloring
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ve...=271666-171339
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 10-25-19, 01:23 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Missed it, thank! Man, that is not an attractive color.
Old 10-25-19, 01:24 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Missed it, thank! Man, that is not an attractive color.
I concur.
Old 10-25-19, 01:26 PM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
I think the mods should rename this thread "the ultimate first world problem".

I've always liked the looks of the Venge, but both of these are outrageously great bikes.

Enjoy whatever one you choose.
Old 10-25-19, 01:31 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by joelcool
I think the mods should rename this thread "the ultimate first world problem".

I've always liked the looks of the Venge, but both of these are outrageously great bikes.

Enjoy whatever one you choose.
If we're gonna go there...this whole forum could be called that.
Likes For CarloM:
Old 10-25-19, 04:41 PM
colombo357

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
If bang for your buck is an issue, Canyon has them beat all day long. Take a look at the Aeroad.
Old 10-25-19, 06:58 PM
RShantz

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by colombo357
If bang for your buck is an issue, Canyon has them beat all day long. Take a look at the Aeroad.
I've got a Madone SLR and two buddies ride the Aeroad. With that said, I have to agree with your comment. The Madone has the isospeed decouplers, but bang for the buck - Aeroad.
Old 10-25-19, 07:22 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts
I honestly keep thinking about "bang for my buck" as I wait for my bike to come in...and there were countless other bikes that would have offered a much cheaper starting point with the same core components...but meh. Life's too short, or something like that.
Likes For N00b_Cyclist:
Old 10-25-19, 09:54 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
shouldn't you be comparing SLR with S-work? the Venge pro has lower tier carbon layup.
Old 10-25-19, 10:18 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by colombo357
Bang for the buck - not so much, really. I am upgrading after a long time, and want a bike that puts a big grin on my face and motivates me to get out and ride more - I am under no misapprehensions that this bike will make me any noticeably faster than a cheaper bike. So it isnt a perfectly rational purchase (although i did eliminate the Red/Dura Ace trims as not being worth it).

Here's a re-cap of my elimination process:

- Ridley Noah Fast: I've only owned Ridley carbon bikes: a Damocles (my second road bike ever, which i still have), an Excalibur (their endurance trim, which I sold) and an X-Fire (which i am in the process of selling). The Noah Fast hit all the buttons - aero, red/black, good value, but i just wanted something different

- Most other brands: rightly or wrongly, I feel that the most cutting edge R&D on aero bikes is being done by the big boys (Spesh, Trek, Giant, etc). So i felt more comfortable getting an aero bike from one of these brands.

- Canyon Aeroroad Alphabet Soup: it's an older frame and due for a refresh soon. I know it is still relevant and fast, buuuut.... it would just nag at me.

- Giant Propel Advanced 0: even though i know they make very good bikes, I havent been that excited about the Giant brand. But this was an absolutely killer-spec bike, with a Force powermeter, for a lot less than the other options. While I am not particularly budget-constrained with this buy, I also dont want to spend more than i need to. But then they didnt have the red frame in my size. That, and the lack of wind tunnel data on the 2019/2020 bikes ruled it out for me.

- Cannondale System Six: this is the bike i wanted, after the Aero magazine test. But it was a struggle to find the right frame size and spec I wanted - the "local" AD couldnt get me a red or even all-black frame, only a meh grey/black one. I could get a red frame from Germany and have someone ship it to me, but then it wouldnt be a hi-mod frame (so heavy) and this was mechUltegra, so i'd have to upgrade all the parts, etc. Too much effort.

- Cervelo S5: I just couldnt find a regional dealer. Emailed a couple but very slow and incomplete replies.

- Trek Madone SLR 7: I loved (and still love) the red. Was gonna pull the trigger on it, as I was getting a good deal from an overseas dealer. Then I read about the BB90 issues here and had some concerns, mainly about the complexity of shipping the frame internationally for service. The other issue was that mail order, i wouldnt be able to have the frame dialled in for me. And buying from the regional dealer would have made the bike a lot more expensive and also entailed a 45 day or longer waiting period.

- Specialized Venge: the Cervelo S series and the Venge were my original dream bikes when they were released. The VIAS killed me interest in the Venge, but reading about the newer Venge got me interested again - it was only a few watts off the System6, comparable to the S5, and better than the Madone in aero as per Tour magazine, plus it handled a lot better. Color looked good, stock wheels looked good, I'd have preferred eTap but Di2 sounds pretty good and i can always upgrade later and i got a killer combo deal on the Venge for me and a Shiv for the missus (who won her AG and qualified for the 70.3 world championship). Plus, and I know this is silly, I have always been a fan of Quickstep back from their Boonen days, and it just felt good to get a Spesh. The deciding factor was a bunch of people telling me that it was a *lively* ride. That's what i want the most. Stiffness and lack of comfort dont bother me too much (my Shiv on HED wheels is possibly the most jarring ride ever), but i want a bike that leaps forward when i 'drope the hamer and dial it up to 400W'. That puts a grin on my face. And by all accounts, the Venge does this really well.

So order placed, and we'll fly over in mid-November or so to pick up our new bikes.
Old 10-25-19, 10:19 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by Chi_Z
shouldn't you be comparing SLR with S-work? the Venge pro has lower tier carbon layup.
Not the new Pro Venge. It has the same carbon as the S-Works, i believe. In any case, even if it doesnt, that extra 100gm doesnt bother me. My old-gen Shiv Pro was about 100gm heavier than the S-Works, and $3000 cheaper - i can live with that.
Old 10-25-19, 10:48 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Not the new Pro Venge. It has the same carbon as the S-Works, i believe. In any case, even if it doesnt, that extra 100gm doesnt bother me. My old-gen Shiv Pro was about 100gm heavier than the S-Works, and $3000 cheaper - i can live with that.
EDIT: Looks like I was wrong. The Specialized Pro and S-WORKS Venge both come with FACT 11r carbon frame. So yea...weird indeed. Not sure how that fits into their marketing for upselling S-WORKS bikes...but huh. I did eyeball the Tarmac Pro for a while...but they only offer Expert here in Japan.

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/the-2...s-in-disguise/

Last edited by N00b_Cyclist; 10-25-19 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-25-19, 10:58 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by N00b_Cyclist
EDIT: Looks like I was wrong. The Specialized Pro and S-WORKS Venge does come with FACT 11r carbon frame. So yea...weird indeed. Not sure how that fits into their marketing for upselling S-WORKS bikes...but huh.
I think limiting the top frame to just one top spec puts them at a disadvantage compared to brands like Trek, Cannondale and Cervelo, which offer their top frames with Force/Ultegra Di2 specs.

But by giving the top spec the S-Works brand name, they set that bike apart a little more from a Force/Ultegra version of the same bike.

So on one hand, yes. it does reduce the gap between the Pro and the S-Works model to more in line with what other brands offer. However, it also makes the top-end more unique, which sets their options apart a little better than other brands (which rely on just color to separate the top trim from a lesser trim).
Old 10-26-19, 01:09 AM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

I think limiting the top frame to just one top spec puts them at a disadvantage compared to brands like Trek, Cannondale and Cervelo, which offer their top frames with Force/Ultegra Di2 specs.

But by giving the top spec the S-Works brand name, they set that bike apart a little more from a Force/Ultegra version of the same bike.

So on one hand, yes. it does reduce the gap between the Pro and the S-Works model to more in line with what other brands offer. However, it also makes the top-end more unique, which sets their options apart a little better than other brands (which rely on just color to separate the top trim from a lesser trim).
Yea, that makes sense. I am glad that Trek doesn't do that, as I wasn't about to spend $12k on a bike because it says "S-WORKS" on it. I like the fact that I can get the SLR model of Trek with top tier carbon and the "SLR" branding, as well as Project One options (I splurged in that builder lol) for a reasonable entry point. Even if it is "just" Ultegra Di2 equipped.
Old 11-25-19, 03:41 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Well, I finally got my bike - went with the Venge Pro and upgraded the wheels to Roval CLX64s.

Had a checkout ride on Saturday and then did the Laguna ****et tri on it yesterday and my first impression: wow. It is responsive, holds its speed amazingly well and is very, very stiff/agile - which.makes cornering and fast descents an absolute dream.

And the Rovals make a very satisfying "whoosh whoosh". To say I am satisfied with the decision is an understatement.

Whole bike with the 64mm wheels, bottle cages and pedals clocks in at 7.98kg. Plan to switch to latex tubes and Turbo cottons, which should take some additional weight of and also reduce drag/RR further.

Likes For guadzilla:
Old 11-25-19, 09:54 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Stunning bike, well done and safe riding!
Old 11-25-19, 11:56 AM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
Well, I finally got my bike - went with the Venge Pro and upgraded the wheels to Roval CLX64s.

Had a checkout ride on Saturday and then did the Laguna ****et tri on it yesterday and my first impression: wow. It is responsive, holds its speed amazingly well and is very, very stiff/agile - which.makes cornering and fast descents an absolute dream.

And the Rovals make a very satisfying "whoosh whoosh". To say I am satisfied with the decision is an understatement.

Whole bike with the 64mm wheels, bottle cages and pedals clocks in at 7.98kg. Plan to switch to latex tubes and Turbo cottons, which should take some additional weight of and also reduce drag/RR further.
Nice bike dude. How much did you pay for the CLX upgrade?
Old 11-25-19, 12:13 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Originally Posted by rower2cyclist
Nice bike dude. How much did you pay for the CLX upgrade?
$719 to go from CL40s to CLX64s...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.