Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Am I the only one who doesn't have a good experience with The Black Bibs?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-19, 02:36 AM
RMoudatir

Bikes: Otso Warakin, 2014 Fuji Sportif 1.4 disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

I just got my first pair of bib shorts after I've been using a pair of Sugoi shorts for thr last 3 years. I chose The Black Bibs Plus, I was so confident in these shorts I'd see everyone hyping them up comparing these shorts to their 150-200 dollar shorts that I got the more expensive Plus version. I am 5'8, weigh 130 lbs, 28 inch waist and 32 inch chest so I fit pretty much in that criteria for a size small which I got. My first impressions when I first held them was that the padding was much thicker and much less supple than on my Sugoi shorts. On rides it feels like there is little breathability and my guys down there are being pressed down on. After 20 miles I start getting discomforting pressure on my sit bones and surrounding area, they start to feel numb after a while and I have never have gotten that numb pressure feeling with the Sugoi shorts I've been using before. I thought bib shorts were an upgrade from cycling shorts. I went back to my Sugoi shorts and I feel so much better on them, much better breathability and comfort and they were only 50$ when I bought them.
Old 11-17-19, 04:59 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by RMoudatir
. I thought bib shorts were an upgrade from cycling shorts.
they are, now buy a pair of Sugoi bibs.

as far as sit bones. Pads change how we connect to the saddle. To explain, I shopped around for a saddle I liked. When I changed bib/short brands, I no longer liked the saddle.

Or too much pad works like a saddle that is too soft, the longer you ride it in one sitting the worse it gets.
Likes For Metieval:
Old 11-17-19, 05:50 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I think the Ceroti are an excellent value in bib shorts. The best cushioned shorts, period, in my arsenal, that would be the Sponeed. Their chamois is second to none, at least as far as my experience goes. Both of the aforementioned are extremely affordable.

https://www.amazon.com/Ceroti-Appare...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

https://www.amazon.com/sponeed-Cycli...3991298&sr=8-8
Old 11-17-19, 05:51 AM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
I strongly suspect that your complaint is with the modern style thick pad, not the "bib" part of bib-shorts. As someone who has ridden many km's on older style thin chamois (heck I started with genuine leather chamois) I not that keen on modern thick/gel pads either.
Old 11-17-19, 06:18 AM
RMoudatir

Bikes: Otso Warakin, 2014 Fuji Sportif 1.4 disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
they are, now buy a pair of Sugoi bibs.

as far as sit bones. Pads change how we connect to the saddle. To explain, I shopped around for a saddle I liked. When I changed bib/short brands, I no longer liked the saddle.

Or too much pad works like a saddle that is too soft, the longer you ride it in one sitting the worse it gets.
Would using a saddle with minimum padding neutralize that effect with thicker padded shorts? I use a WTB Volt Team Saddle that seems to be quite soft and have plenty of cushion and with the Sugoi shorts that have much less padding than the Black Bib shorts, the saddle felt pretty good when well adjusted but with the Black Bibs with much more padding there was a lot of pressure and numbness building up the longer I rode.
Old 11-17-19, 06:23 AM
Metieval

Originally Posted by RMoudatir
Would using a saddle with minimum padding neutralize that effect with thicker padded shorts? I use a WTB Volt Team Saddle that seems to be quite soft and have plenty of cushion and with the Sugoi shorts that have much less padding than the Black Bib shorts, the saddle felt pretty good when well adjusted but with the Black Bibs with much more padding there was a lot of pressure and numbness building up the longer I rode.
If you have other saddles, wouldn't hurt to experiment.

My understanding is that over time the sit bones sink in which in essence raises the surrounding padding which puts pressure on nerves.
Old 11-17-19, 07:43 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
You get what you pay for.
Old 11-17-19, 07:54 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 135 Posts
Everyone likes different things in shorts. I have a pair of Sugoi Classic's that are anything but my favorite shorts, and are limited to shorter rides.

I tried them and now know.
Old 11-17-19, 09:29 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Shorts/bibs can be as individual as saddles. I don't care for Sugoi bibs at all (much to the chagrin of my wallet) and find The Black Bibs to be... okay. They don't wow me, but they are good quality for the price, and the fit is good... for me. If they're using the same chamois across the whole range of sizes, I can wholly understand why the OP doesn't like them. I weigh 80lbs more than the OP and the pad sometimes feels a little thick to me. I still prefer the thin 3D pad of the bottom-rung Pearl Izumi bibs from about 5 years ago, now long discontinued.
Old 11-17-19, 09:54 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,566 Times in 3,764 Posts
I like my Black Bibs. They didn't work well for me when riding my Selle Anatomica saddle. When I switched to a Charge Spoon saddle they were comfortable enough to do a full century. YMMV.
Old 11-17-19, 09:57 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,228 Posts
In the Spring I ordered 2 black bibs, not the Plus.
I like 'em just fine after 1 season.

Leg openings haven't stretched as with some shorts i have owned.
Old 11-17-19, 02:30 PM
Metieval

I mostly wear Pearl Izumi Select Attack Bib.

however I picked up a pair of bibs from Sugoi when Cannondale closed out a bunch of clothing. The difference being Sugoi made pair is a lot more firm less stretchy. More compression. and the Upper part is also less stretchy.

for long hard rides I grab the Sugoi bibs. If I am making coffee runs, stops etc, I wear the Peral izumi attack bibs.

My worn out PI attack bibs, gets used as mtb short liners.

I am really wanting to try a pair of Tri bibs, even less padding.
Old 11-17-19, 02:57 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
I like my Black Bibs. They didn't work well for me when riding my Selle Anatomica saddle. When I switched to a Charge Spoon saddle they were comfortable enough to do a full century. YMMV.
Which shorts and/or chamois has worked best for you with your Selle Anatomica?
Old 11-17-19, 03:13 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Originally Posted by Koyote
You get what you pay for.
The majority of the time, yes, I'd say you are right. But... not always is that a true statement.

I have a kit that I use in the winter that is fleeced lined that I got from a friend because they were a size too large for him. He got them off eBay for $35 bucks. A knockoff of Castelli, they came from China and conventional wisdom would dictate they would be crap. But they are anything but. Absolutely outstanding. The quality is unbelievable, and they are super warm in temps below 50 degrees. They breathe well, have a good chamois, and are simply very well made.

So, no. Not always.
Old 11-17-19, 03:16 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,566 Times in 3,764 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
Which shorts and/or chamois has worked best for you with your Selle Anatomica?
Pearl Izumi seemed to work just fine. So do my Performance Ultra shorts.
Old 11-17-19, 03:54 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
You and I are nearly the exact same size. I also got the small, they fit perfectly, and like you, they are so uncomfortable that I can't use them. I wouldn't do a short ride with them.

It's the segmented pad. Between the segments, it causes a pinch, after time this becomes a crescent shaped wound on your butt.

It hurts like crazy and takes several days to heal.

Przwalski are the same price but don't have the same type of pad. No problems at all.
Old 11-17-19, 03:59 PM
one4smoke

Originally Posted by cb400bill
Pearl Izumi seemed to work just fine. So do my Performance Ultra shorts.
Man, I need some without the silicone leg grippers. Allergic to 'em. Aerotech Designs is the only place I've been able to find them, but they don't have them in bibs.
Old 11-17-19, 07:31 PM
tgenec86
Rouleur

Bikes: Felt FC (SRAM Red), Nashbar Carbon (SRAM Red), Felt BR2 (SRAM Red), Salsa El Mariachi 29'er - solid steel, Peugeot PX-10 1972

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 63 Posts
I personally detest the really thick pads, and find that they are no where near as comfortable as a thin, dense pad. It's the same logic that seems to be entirely counter-intuitive with saddles. I ride a Selle SMP Composit - which is basically an anatomically correct BRICK. It has zero padding. You rap it hard with a knuckle and you get a bruised knuckle, and yet it's the best, most comfortable saddle I've ever ridden in my life. 80-100 mile races, centuries, no problem - no groin pain, hot spots, sensitive spots. I borrowed a bike with one of the low-end SMP's with thick gel padding and The Johnson went so numb I felt like a eunuch for ten minutes. The thicker the padding, the more pressure on the soft tissues over time. A casual rider on a cushy saddle for an hour or so will likely never have a problem, but several hours on a thick, spongy surface can be very bothersome depending on your anatomy. I don't have any spare padding to begin with, and my crotch doesn't like artificial extra padding either. It's going to be different for different people. I'd recommend you try a good pair of quality bibs with thinner padding and I'm guessing you'll like them a lot more. Performance wise, I don't wear anything but bibs.
Old 11-17-19, 08:10 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
I have some black bibs plus and love em.
I bought them because they are an affordable bib that comes in a long/tall size.

The pad is thicker than the pad on the LG shorts/bibs I'm used to, but it doesnt actually bother me.
I'm just happy to have relatively low priced bibs that fit well lengthwise.

Bibs are like saddles are like bar tape are like shoes.
What works for one person is pure hell for another.
There are dozens of clothing brands- keep looking.
Old 11-18-19, 06:20 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Rapha.
Old 11-18-19, 07:33 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
It really is a personal thing. I've been riding for about 40 yrs and have tried most everything starting with the actual leather chamois kit. I tired my best to like PI and Castelli and they were OK. I avoided Assos because of price. Then one day I saw a good sale on a pair of Assos bibs. Thought, "What the hell." and bought them. That was 5 yrs. ago and I won't buy anything but Assos now. On sale of course. What worked for me may not work for others. So, you just have to try.
Old 11-19-19, 08:47 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Louis Garneau Neo Power Motion bibs have been my jam for the past six months or so. I pair them with a Prologo Scratch 2 saddle with the little bundlded suction cup areas (called CPC, I believe).

I was still sore during the later stages of a Century in September and had to stand up from time to time, but had no lingering soreness after the ride. And I like the compression of the shorts.
Old 11-19-19, 08:58 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
What is the significance of "Black" bibs? Are we talking about a certain brand or the color?
Old 11-19-19, 09:37 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
What is the significance of "Black" bibs? Are we talking about a certain brand or the color?
Its a brand of bibs and clothing.
Old 11-19-19, 09:39 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Its a brand of bibs and clothing.
Interesting, never heard of them thanks