Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Faraday bike sale - just in case you're interested.

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Faraday bike sale - just in case you're interested.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-19, 10:21 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
I contacted the UPS hazardous materials center (800-554-9964) and was told for this 500 w/h Lithium battery I would need to locate a HAZMAT broker who would take the battery, then arrange pick up. I invite any individuals to check on the information themselves. LOL hahaha, especially to those who called me a liar.
Ahh...500w. That's why we are disagreeing. This is a thread about the Faraday - their batteries are SMALL. No problem shipping them. And that's what I was talking about, my OM is also a small fly-able battery, and so was my Prodeco. Yeah, your battery is well over the specs for shipping. But, since we were talking about Faraday bikes, my information is correct for those batteries. I've never seen the need for those big batteries myself, just makes the bike super heavy, but ymmv. That's why the Farady is appealing to me, it's basically a bike with a built-in tailwind. However - are you saying that you are not allowed to take the battery yourself to the shipper and that a 3d party is legally required to do it? That's weird. Another reason to avoid those big batteries. If you want range, you can get something like the Ligo batteries that separate into smaller units.

Last edited by linberl; 12-03-19 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-03-19, 11:01 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
There was a discussion about getting a battery to Hawaii in another forum, I recall that vendors like Bike Flights were charging a fee more than the original cost of the battery to ship it by air.

Back in 2015 when I bought my first two ebike batteries, both vendors (a US outfit and a overseas one in China) lied about the contents and labelled them (a 36V and a 48V) as a 12V battery although they kept the AH at 10000 mah. Fedex pulled the first one aside, opened it up, and let it go.

It would be a $50K fine today to do that.
Old 12-03-19, 03:13 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
If anyone is interested, I called UPS (again) and this is what I was told.

Air - 100 w/h maximum

Ground - Up to 300 w/h can be shipped by an individual who isn't "certified".

As with DW, years ago I received a battery from China with a statement that, AIR, said it was a battery charger, but I had been charged for "hazardous shipping".
Old 12-03-19, 03:31 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
300w is more generous than I thought for ground, really not an issue for e-bikes that are primarily for a little assist. For air, I've carried my batteries on planes and they are over 100w. It is up to the airline, and I've taken 160w batteries on Southwest and British Air . Good to check with the airline first, though, as some only go 130w. So it's possible different shippers might allow slightly bigger batteries