Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Schwinn 564

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-19, 07:39 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
Schwinn 564

Got this yesterday and needed a bit of work but now running smoothly.
Photo is as bought - PO appears to have tried to change tube by pulling out the tube while rim still mounted.
Seems to be a nice bike. Exage Sport, 14 speed and the quill stem is fine condition though it seems an absurd idea for a post and glad I've never seen another. Measured as 22 inches (56cm)

I still have to wax the frame.

Photo'd with seatpost raised high and stem raised slightly to show both were not seized

Seat dropped to a more presentable height but stem will have to go up an inch or two

Serial number of B907690A

Black smudge on underside of BB shell is some form of tar that is not coming off.

Q) Any way to date this?
Can't find on line or wouldn't ask.

Q) Value?
Surprisingly very few available on line on either CL or eBay with only one sold offering on FB and that shows "best offer accepted" though it was listed at $330.
There currently is a similar one with slightly more dings for $225 and a nicer one for $350.

I think I'll list for $250 (Canadian) subject to better ideas?

Ps I had seen posts on FB that said the weird quill seatposts are hard to find and can cost $150.
There is a used one on eBay for $20 + $10 shipping right now with no bids and ends in 11 hours

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WEDGE-STYLE...8AAOSwfBVd0qod

Thanks WGB
Old 11-24-19, 07:48 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11402 Post(s)
Liked 4,759 Times in 2,768 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
Got this yesterday and needed a bit of work but now running smoothly.
Photo is as bought - PO appears to have tried to change tube by pulling out the tube while rim still mounted.
Seems to be a nice bike. Exage Sport, 14 speed and the quill stem is fine condition though it seems an absurd idea for a post and glad I've never seen another. Measured as 22 inches (56cm)

I still have to wax the frame.

Photo'd with seatpost raised high and stem raised slightly to show both were not seized

Seat dropped to a more presentable height but stem will have to go up an inch or two

Serial number of B907690A

Black smudge on underside of BB shell is some form of tar that is not coming off.

Q) Any way to date this?
Can't find on line or wouldn't ask.

Q) Value?
Surprisingly very few available on line on either CL or eBay with only one sold offering on FB and that shows "best offer accepted" though it was listed at $330.
There currently is a similar one with slightly more dings for $225 and a nicer one for $350.

I think I'll list for $250 (Canadian) subject to better ideas?

Ps I had seen posts on FB that said the weird quill seatposts are hard to find and can cost $150.
There is a used one on eBay for $20 + $10 shipping right now with no bids and ends in 11 hours

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WEDGE-STYLE...8AAOSwfBVd0qod

Thanks WGB
Nice. I have A 684 owned since new, and I think it's still my favorite bike. Same color, came with Wolber rims, and 105. I have no clue on value, but I do see some on CL every so often, and your price may be less than I seem to remember seeing.
Old 11-24-19, 07:52 PM
WGB 
WGB

I like it just way too small.

I wanted to see the quill seatpost and since no one had one I got it. I bet it would be a good ride though I've never seen a tall aluminum bike and I ride a 63cm
Old 11-24-19, 09:56 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,990 Times in 1,777 Posts
Watch the seatpost. That have a tendancy to crack at the top where the clamping section goes into the machined shaft. My first one cracked there shortly after I got the bike. Mine happened in the front of the shaft. One area that's not photographed on that one on Ebay. I'd ask for a picture of that before bidding on the seatpost if anyone is thinking about it.
Old 11-24-19, 09:58 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,990 Times in 1,777 Posts
I bought my 684 used last year for $50. Honestly don't know what a true value for these is. This was the only one of these I've seen around here in all my years.
Old 11-25-19, 12:08 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,471 Times in 1,435 Posts
I got one of these as a dumpster find. The seatpost was missing, so I made one out of a straight seatpost and a long stem bolt and wedge. The bike was too small, so I passed it on.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-25-19, 12:44 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
I would say 200-250 cad nice bike. The lesser components and the seeming abundance of similar if not nicer fillet brazed aluminium Treks and Cannondales often under $200 in nice shape will limits the price you can get on one of these 900 series Schwinns.
Old 12-04-19, 05:50 PM
acidlung

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a 974 (similar bike but with 600 Ultegra) that I paid $150 for. I consider that a bit high, but the seller included upgraded wheels, a very nice bike light set, bike bag, shoes, and clipless pedals. The bike rides great, but nobody appreciates (or even recognizes) these much. And like zukahn1 says, with superior Cannondales around $200, these bikes do not stand out enough to fetch a premium. That said, it's a cool and clean specimen.
Old 12-04-19, 07:26 PM
WGB 
WGB

I've only had a single $150 an offer but it might just be the season. I'll relist end March or start of April and see then.
Old 12-04-19, 08:53 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
"B9" my guess is February 1989. Specs match 1989 catalog. Exact year has zero bearing on value. 1988 Aluminum frame Schwinn was the Avion/Ontare, 1990 was a 594 (along with some others).

+10 I've sold bikes on New Years Day with snow on the ground. Sometimes you get people that just got cash for Christmas, other times its college students home for Christmas break. Regardless, don't give up on sales in the off season. Sold three frames in the last week, two went to NY state, one to GA. Not riding season for sure.

Also, realize on the off season, you typically have fewer buyers, but you also have FEWER SELLERS (less competition). We sold a Christmas sweater on eBay in February once. Who buys a Christmas sweater in February? No idea, but no one else was selling either. And we did not discount it.

Last edited by wrk101; 12-05-19 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-04-19, 10:18 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
Selling nicer vintage bikes can be bit odd I have sold similar bikes on snowy day in December for top dollar and have others I considered nicer sit for moths and sells at huge discounts. On this bike I say keep it listed for the asking price chances are it will sell at 200 CAD price this month.