Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bicycling with Cats

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Bicycling with Cats

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-10, 11:58 PM
spinninwheels
aspiring island dweller

Bikes: Easy Racers GRR, Cannondale T-2000/Rohloff Custom, Cannondale R-700, Custom Fixie/Single Speed, Santa Cruz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I'm glad I found this thread.

I had to take our cat into the vet yesterday, and aside from the bike ride with her in the cat carrier in the trailer, the rest was done with public transit. And it sucked big time. But I think it was best as she had been attacked by another cat and needed stitches in her left, hind-quarter; as well as it was pouring rain.

Question for all you cat lovers out there - I have to take her in on Wednesday to have the drain removed (to prevent an abscess), do you think the 50 km roundtrip might be a little hard on her, given that she will still have stitches for a week after that? I would put a pillow in the cat carrier and probably cover it with a blanket as well. Plus, it's supposed to be sunny.

If she were healthy, I wouldn't foresee a problem. We had her in the moving van for a 5000km move (7 days), and she adjusted after a day. She would just sleep under the seat.
Old 09-26-10, 09:16 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,433 Posts
Yes, the ride will be very hard on her. I'm sure a trailer gives a rougher ride than a car. Can you get a ride or take a taxi?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-03-19, 07:02 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18370 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
I know people love old threads... but I was just about ready to create a new thread and this popped up.

I have a kitten (Latte) that adopted me a few weeks ago.

She just showed up on the back porch and called out to me. Very shy at first, but once she got a full stomach, it was all over.

As with many cats, she found a cat-sized cardboad box, pulled all the stuffing out of it, and it is now her favorite toy.

I took her driving once, and she accepted the carrying cage, as well as the whole pickup cab as her new home on wheels. She also seemed to hold her bathroom needs until we got home, then a quick trip to the litter box. I thought I could train her to go outside, but still need to work on that. See seemed content enough with the carrying cage, especially after Mom gave her a snack.

I got a new smaller cat cage and took it in my bike trailer once (not far). She didn't seem too impressed with the bicycle, but doesn't seem to be afraid of the cat carrier. Some "talking", but no loud cries of distress.

Who all takes their cat utility cycling?

I know at least one store that accepts dogs, but I don't think I've ever seen cats... or if having a cat and dog in the same store would be a bad idea. Most pet stores (and I assume farm stores) will also allow dogs, but again, one doesn't see cats very frequently.

Of course, it could be an issue on bike paths... Even as a tiny Tribble sized fluff ball, she doesn't like dogs.

I suppose one concern is that if left alone, she could be stolen, or turned loose (or tormented). Yes, she is just a feral cat... or so she was. Like I said, a full stomach, and it was all over. And, now I'd miss her. I imagine kittens could be of moderate theft risk, while full grown cats might be ignored.

Oh, I want to habituate her to traveling a bit before the first big VET trip shortly for shots, vaccines, and probably spaying.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 10-04-19, 08:06 PM
Sandstrom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by akohekohe
I take the cats to the vet in their cat cage using the BD but I don't take them anywhere else. Do others take their cats bicycling? Do you have cats that actually seem to like it?
Man that's impressive, I would do it if I could, but my cat get's nervous just hearing me air up the tires before a ride!
Old 10-04-19, 08:13 PM
Sandstrom

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I know people love old threads... but I was just about ready to create a new thread and this popped up.

I have a kitten (Latte) that adopted me a few weeks ago.

She just showed up on the back porch and called out to me. Very shy at first, but once she got a full stomach, it was all over.

As with many cats, she found a cat-sized cardboad box, pulled all the stuffing out of it, and it is now her favorite toy.

I took her driving once, and she accepted the carrying cage, as well as the whole pickup cab as her new home on wheels. She also seemed to hold her bathroom needs until we got home, then a quick trip to the litter box. I thought I could train her to go outside, but still need to work on that. See seemed content enough with the carrying cage, especially after Mom gave her a snack.

I got a new smaller cat cage and took it in my bike trailer once (not far). She didn't seem too impressed with the bicycle, but doesn't seem to be afraid of the cat carrier. Some "talking", but no loud cries of distress.

Who all takes their cat utility cycling?

I know at least one store that accepts dogs, but I don't think I've ever seen cats... or if having a cat and dog in the same store would be a bad idea. Most pet stores (and I assume farm stores) will also allow dogs, but again, one doesn't see cats very frequently.

Of course, it could be an issue on bike paths... Even as a tiny Tribble sized fluff ball, she doesn't like dogs.

I suppose one concern is that if left alone, she could be stolen, or turned loose (or tormented). Yes, she is just a feral cat... or so she was. Like I said, a full stomach, and it was all over. And, now I'd miss her. I imagine kittens could be of moderate theft risk, while full grown cats might be ignored.

Oh, I want to habituate her to traveling a bit before the first big VET trip shortly for shots, vaccines, and probably spaying.
She's beautiful, looks like what my Trixie would have looked like when she was a wee kitten:

Likes For Sandstrom:
Old 10-11-19, 04:59 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I had a Norwegian Forrest Cat that loved going for bicycle rides. I'd stick him in the front of a lightweight jacket zip the jacket up and away we'd go. Once riding I'd unzip the jacket a bit and he'd stick his head out and sniff and look around. Btw, he also loved water and would jump into the bathtub with me if I didn't keep the bathroom door closed.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 11-16-19, 09:34 PM
Wobblewheel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Travel kitty

Ive seen the cat in the hat ....but cat in the carrier? Lol
My scottish fold cat, Biff loved handle bar rides facing forward in a carrier. He also liked to go on my screen patio and lay stretched out on his back during rain storms..watch me in the bathroom on the counter or on the edge of the tub n catch fawcet droplets .Folds are quirky and sit on their haunches like prarie dogs too
Old 05-20-20, 06:38 PM
tdonline

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
This is my summer project--getting my cats to their annual vet visit by mini-velo. The office is less than 1 1/2 mile away so a short jaunt and I feel more comfortable with them on a smaller bike. The vet used to be within walking distance and we would go by pet stroller. Then he moved about 3 miles away and ever since we've gone by car.

My cats are indoor only and they don't really travel well. One will cry the entire ride--thank god the vet isn't 20 miles away. And the other one has anxiety-peed a couple of times on the way to the vet. My vet moved again, and the office is now a long stroll or short ride away. If the bike project doesn't work out, I'll break out the old stroller. In any case, I'm not keen on ride-sharing any time soon.

My mini-velo has a super strong front basket and I'm going to add a rack with crate/basket to the back. Already have one old carrier and one new one out in the living room--getting them comfortable to being in them.
Old 05-21-20, 01:35 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

My cat loved to sit inside a light jacket that I was wearing partly zipped up, where he could watch the scenery.

Cheers
Old 05-21-20, 02:04 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18370 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
It looks like I never posted a followup.

I converted a Bike Friday cargo trailer to a cat trailer.

It has been a while since I took Latte in the trailer, and she has grown a lot, but last fall she tolerated it quite well, better than riding in a carrier in the pickup.

Since then I've started carrying Latte loose in the pickup, with a few rules of where she can and can't go, and she seems to be much happier driving. She'll still complain some, but not non-stop.

Like @Miele Man, Latte's comfy spot is tucked inside of an old leather coat. I haven't tried that on the bike, but she'll go almost anywhere with me tucked in the coat. She'll poke her head out when interested, and push her head back when scared or tired. And, sometimes walk around my back... OWWW!!!

I have a plastic vintage medicine box suitcase that works as Latte's travelling litter box. I've taken it on the bike last fall, but she is less inclined to use it when on the road.

She's grown quite a bit over time, but learned to use the suitcase when she was still quite small.

This was at Bike Friday.

Latte's suitcase is visible on top of the carrier. The litter is behind that.
Old 05-21-20, 02:23 PM
Miele Man

My cat was a Norwegian Forrest Cat. He loved the water and would lay out in the rain if he had a chance to.

Cheers