Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

RSX STI with Exage?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

RSX STI with Exage?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-08, 10:12 AM
TL179

Bikes: 91 bridgestone rb-2, Univega viva sport, 04 masi Nouva Strada,Dave Scott Ironman, Changes like every month

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RSX STI with Exage?

Hi, I've got an older stock rb2. It currently has the original 7 speed Exage 400ex setup with index/friction downtube shifters. I really want to switch to STI at least for the rear, could I just use a 7 speed RSX brifter? Would I need to switch the rear derailleur to RSX as well? I'd considered just getting barcons but as I run bullhorns they'd kind of get in the way.
Old 05-28-08, 10:31 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 281 Posts
7 speed RSX will work just fine with the rest of your comps. AFAIK, RSX was the STI replacement/ version of Exage 400/500, which in turn was slightly lesser finished 105.
I run Exage 500 on my Miyata 512 and 500 LX on the Triplecross and love 'em both.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 05-28-08, 10:34 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Yes, I made a similiar change over the winter to a Bianchi that had Shimano 7 speed, downtube shifters. It came out great. The left, 3 speed STI works fine with a double, no hang ups at all. I did not change my rear derailer and I don't see why you would need to.
Go for it.
Old 05-28-08, 11:09 AM
tellyho
Your mom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rear derailleurs don't care what shifter you use, AFAIK. Nor do they care much what size your cassette is, within reason.
Old 06-02-08, 05:16 PM
TL179

Bikes: 91 bridgestone rb-2, Univega viva sport, 04 masi Nouva Strada,Dave Scott Ironman, Changes like every month

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the help now I just need the shifters! top where you from in Maine? I grew up in rumford
Old 06-02-08, 06:10 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 281 Posts
Originally Posted by TL179
top where you from in Maine? I grew up in rumford
I'm not from Maine, but I've lived in Somerset County (Skowhegan and Norridgewock) for years.
I've been to Rumford, and can understand why you left. You just don't get that paper mill smell anywhere else in Maine.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 06-02-08, 11:13 PM
maureenkh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a bike with RSX brifters. I changed the RD to Deore XT and the FD to 105. Works fine. I needed to change the derailleurs because I wanted to change out the rear cassette from a large cog of 25 teeth to one with 32 teeth.
Maureen
Old 06-03-08, 06:34 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
The RD really doesn't care who tells it what to do, as long as it has room and cable to do it with. I'm sure there are exceptions, but most of my RD's simply move the chain in and out like they're told. Once in a while they disintegrate, but I think that's me...
Old 06-03-08, 06:54 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by TL179
thanks for the help now I just need the shifters! top where you from in Maine? I grew up in rumford
Used brifters are out there, the older ones are somewhat of a gamble if their grease has dried up.
Newer versions cost almost as much as new Soras or Modolo Morphos ($110-$120 on line). Good luck.