Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

odd duck-1973 Ladies Paramount P61

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-08, 11:49 PM
maureenkh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320277137692

Hi,

I wanted to ask about this bike that I bought on ebay last week. It is a Schwinn Ladies Paramount, but is set up differently than the ones that I'm used to seeing. The seller called it a Paramount tourist-P61. I looked up the model before bidding, and found a little information showing that there was such a model sold. Anyway, I haven't received the bike yet, but wanted to share some pictures. I've only uploaded one, but the ebay link has 23 pictures, both as small jpegs, and as large ones, hosted on a different site.

My question is the same that I have for any bike- how can I lower the gearing. Usually, the bikes I have changed were nice, but not special so I didn't feel bad about putting on modern derailleurs, cranks or freewheels. In this case, I'd like to preserve the original drivetrain as much as possible.

Would it be possible to change the Campy strada crank into a triple by using a tripleizer? Could I use a larger freewheel and still have the same Campy rear derailleur? Would it help, if I said that although I would keep the 52 chainwheel, I will never actually use it so the chain could be shortened. Would this let me still keep the original front and rear derailleurs?

One other thing that I found odd was that during bidding, the bike was shown on many websites, but I couldn't find a single comment about it on any of them, neither as a "catch" nor a "numbskull". I bought it because I'm an in-between size on a men's frame. The 21" frames are a little small, the 23" are a little big. So, I get the 21" ones but have to change the stems and seatposts. This bike is a 22" so it should fit fine. My only worry is that I am not a small person and I hope the ladies frame will be ok. I won't be ridding it hard so hopefully it won't flex too much under my Athena weight.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Maureen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
154091199_tp.jpg (28.6 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by maureenkh; 08-03-08 at 12:02 AM.
Old 08-03-08, 09:02 AM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Hi Maureen,

First off, congratulations on your acquisition. It appears to be in really nice shape.

The P61, as far as I know, wasn't offered as a model in the seventies. The two ladies model Paramounts offered from 1973 until 1979 were the P60 (10-speed) and P65 (15-speed - triple plateau chainring). Both of these models came with drop handlebars.

1973 P60 and P65 Ladies Paramount consumer catalog page

1973 Paramount Catalog (P60 and P65 are on pages 6 and 7).

1973 Retail Price List (P60 and P65 are near the bottom of the page).

The P61 was a ladies tourist model made in the fifties with fixed gear, freewheeling single speed, or Sturmey-Archer 3-speed hubs, equipped pretty much like your new bike with tourist handlebars and a mattress saddle. Here's a picture of one in the 1955 catalog.

My guess is that your bike is essentially a P60 equipped at the factory with the tourist handlebars and mattress saddle like the old P61 model. Schwinn was very flexible in customizing Paramounts at the factory based on customers' requests, and I think your bike may be one of these special orders.

Since the same frame was used for the P60 and P65, your bike could be changed to a period correct Campy triple. This would mean essentially changing the whole drive train from bottom bracket to crank set, both derailleurs, and to get the wider gearing, a new freewheel with the same cogs as the P65. Or, if you're not that concerned about originality, you could go with a modern compact double and 10-speed cassette. You'd have to coldset the rear triangle for 130mm spacing and relace your rims to a new 10-speed rear hub.

Because it's a ladies' frame, it won't be as stiff as a mens' frame, but unless you're racing hard that shouldn't be a problem, even with your "Athena weight"...

Hope this helps.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 08-03-08, 09:23 AM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Hehehehehe Maureen, I am glad I did not compete against you! Now we have two more members with Paramounts .

Yours also looks to be in beautiful shape, congratulations!

East Hill
Old 08-03-08, 09:24 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
I think you should ride the bike before you think about making any changes.
Old 08-03-08, 09:28 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
I'd get a longer chain. eek.

Old 08-03-08, 09:36 AM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by bbattle
I'd get a longer chain. eek.
Unless she cross-chains (big chainring to one of the two larger cogs) it shouldn't be a problem.

my bikes

Old 08-03-08, 10:56 AM
maureenkh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Stan, Dirtdrop and East Hill

Thank you for the information and links for the 1970's P60 and P65 models. I had suspected the same thing about the bike really being a P60 with handlebar and saddle modifications. I was pretty sure that the modifications were done by Schwinn at the factory because the handlebar and stem chosen were good quality alloy by GB, the shifters are the Schwinn "Twin-stick" (an option for Paramounts at that time), and the mattress saddle is a good quality one with a real leather top instead of vinyl.
I agree with Dirtdrop, that I should probably ride it before changing anything. I have other bikes with the gearing dialed in that I can use when I want a workout. This bike will probably be my "ride down to the coffee shop in style" bike. But one change I will make almost immediately is that saddle. I think that a black Brooks B66 or B67 (depending on the seatpost) will look much better. I'll consider collecting parts for a P15/P65 drivetrain like the one on East Hill's new treasure. As for "cold setting".... ahhhhhhh -NOOOOOOO!!!. Any changes I make to this bike will be ones that are easily changed back to the original.

East Hill, thanks very much for your congrats. The funny thing is that I found this bike because I was looking to see what Paramount you had just bought. But, don't worry, we will never compete for bikes. I am 5' 7.5'' tall with a 32 inch inseam. When I realized that this one would fit me, I used Kurt's advice to you and signed up at the bid snipping service. It worked

Maureen
Old 08-03-08, 12:12 PM
Marrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooper
Unless she cross-chains (big chainring to one of the two larger cogs) it shouldn't be a problem.
I think he was talking more about the wheel's position in the dropout more than the gearing.
Old 08-03-08, 12:25 PM
maureenkh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marrock
I think he was talking more about the wheel's position in the dropout more than the gearing.
Yikes!!! - good point, I hadn't noticed that. Thank you!!!

Maureen
Old 08-03-08, 12:33 PM
Marrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No problem, that pic made my eye twitch a bit when I saw it.
Old 08-03-08, 12:40 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
How about a B18? My wife loves hers.

The new maroon color might look nice on your bike.

Last edited by Grand Bois; 08-03-08 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-03-08, 01:21 PM
maureenkh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirtdrop
How about a B18? My wife loves hers.
photo snipped
The new maroon color might look nice on your bike.
Oh my, yes, I had forgotten about the B18. Lovely!
Though, I might stick with either the B18 in antique brown or a black saddle since the bike is orange and could clash with some colors.

Maureen

Last edited by maureenkh; 08-03-08 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-03-08, 01:45 PM
Rabid Koala
Chrome Freak

Bikes: 71 Chrome Paramount P13-9, 73 Opaque Blue Paramount P15, 74 Blue Mink Raleigh Pro, 91 Waterford Paramount, Holland Titanium x2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Maureen, welcome to the ever growing and somewhat elite group of Paramount owners! I watched that auction, not because I was needing a woman's frame Paramount, but because they are so scarce!

When you get it, some more pictures please.
1991 Waterford Paramount
Holland Titanium Dura Ace Group
Holland Titanium Ultegra Triple Group
Old 08-03-08, 02:40 PM
maureenkh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rabid Koala
Maureen, welcome to the ever growing and somewhat elite group of Paramount owners! I watched that auction, not because I was needing a woman's frame Paramount, but because they are so scarce!

When you get it, some more pictures please.
Absolutely, I have a digital camera and now I know how to add a jpeg to the board. As for the bike, I think I may have saved it from being parted out or its components transferred to a men's frame. There were some bidders who went up to ~ $450 and then two of us that snipped. Fortunately, I snipped higher. I actually wanted the bike, not just the parts. We have a retro/used bike shop in St Louis with an owner who knows how to work on vintage bikes. I haven't called him yet, but I think that when this one finally arrives, it will go directly to him for a complete overhall and reassembly. I would rather not practice my very limited wrenching skills on this one.

Maureen
Old 08-03-08, 06:21 PM
MnHPVA Guy

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by maureenkh
My only worry is that I am not a small person and I hope the ladies frame will be ok. I won't be ridding it hard so hopefully it won't flex too much under my Athena weight.
Maureen,
I believe that most of the flex will be in the vertical plane which is a good thing as long as the seat tube doesn't yield. I believe that if high strength materials are used, a so-called "ladies" frame can be superior to a mixte. Colnago, Cinelli and Grandis have all made lightweight "Ladies" frames.

Could you tell me what diameter seat post is on your bike? That will let me know what gauge tubing was used. I hope to find time to build Jane a very lightweight "Ladies" bike, and am aiming for a much lighter frame than her mixte. If I ever found out what she weighs, I think she'd have to kill me, but I think it's around 190.
Old 08-03-08, 06:53 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by MnHPVA Guy
Maureen,
Could you tell me what diameter seat post is on your bike?
Maureen's 1973 P60 will have a 27.2mm seatpost. The 531 seat tubes have an O.D. of 28.6mm, with 0.9mm wall thickness at the bottom bracket and 0.6mm at the top. This yields an I.D. of 27.4mm for the seatpost. The wall thickness and roundness tolerance, and the distortion resulting from brazing the seat cluster made the 27.2mm seatpost a perfect fit.

my bikes

Old 08-03-08, 07:50 PM
maureenkh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maureen,
I believe that most of the flex will be in the vertical plane which is a good thing as long as the seat tube doesn't yield. I believe that if high strength materials are used, a so-called "ladies" frame can be superior to a mixte. Colnago, Cinelli and Grandis have all made lightweight "Ladies" frames.

Could you tell me what diameter seat post is on your bike? That will let me know what gauge tubing was used. I hope to find time to build Jane a very lightweight "Ladies" bike, and am aiming for a much lighter frame than her mixte. If I ever found out what she weighs, I think she'd have to kill me, but I think it's around 190.
Be sure to never let Jane know you have a clue to her weight. Don't worry, I'll never tell. Actually, the seat tube flex issue is one of the reasons I will probably stay with a sprung saddle of one kind or another. Those springs will absorb some of the weight, especially if the bike is ridden over a bump. The lovely B18 shown a couple of posts above has a small, modified spring similar to the B72 model so it's one that I'll definately consider, or else a B66/B67. Or, who knows, for the few blocks I may be riding to that coffee shop, the existing, nice quality mattress saddle may be fine. I'll know when the bike finally arrives.

Maureen
Old 08-03-08, 09:06 PM
Xlr8n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maureen- Beautiful bike you got there! I noticed that bike on ebay as it was so clean and my favorite color! I was hoping it would find a good home intact and not be bought as a parts bike! Enjoy!!
Old 08-03-08, 09:23 PM
maureenkh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you, Xir8n. No, definately not a parts bike! I've always wanted a Paramount, and am thilled to get this one. Keep your fingers crossed that it survives UPS. I told the seller that I would be glad to pay extra to have it packed professionally, so hopefully his bikeshop does a good job packing it. I haven't gotten a tracking number email yet so I'm guessing it hasn't been shipped yet.

Maureen
Old 08-03-08, 09:35 PM
maureenkh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Dirtdrop;7195944]How about a B18? My wife loves hers.

By the way, Dirtdrop, I have a Fuji Mixte also, that I bought off ebay last year but haven't set up yet. How does your wife like hers? What model is it? Mine is a light, ice blue, 56 cm Fuji Gran Tourer SE 12 speed, but I don't know what year. From the components I would guess mid to late 70s.

Maureen
Old 08-03-08, 09:35 PM
MnHPVA Guy

Originally Posted by Scooper
Maureen's 1973 P60 will have a 27.2mm seatpost. The 531 seat tubes have an O.D. of 28.6mm, with 0.9mm wall thickness at the bottom bracket and 0.6mm at the top. This yields an I.D. of 27.4mm for the seatpost. The wall thickness and roundness tolerance, and the distortion resulting from brazing the seat cluster made the 27.2mm seatpost a perfect fit.
I've built enough frames to know that that is generally the case with 531. But do you know for sure that the same seat tube was used on the ladies models? Due to the added bending load I wouldn't be surprised if they used a 531 Tourist ST (27.0 seat post) or even 531 plain gauge.

BTW Chris Kvale's temperature control is so good that he often had to use 27.4 seat posts with 531 (after a slight reaming.) Sometimes he wouldn't get enough distortion to use a 27.2. Got to admit I've never had that problem.
Old 08-03-08, 09:45 PM
maureenkh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
seat tube size

I've built enough frames to know that that is generally the case with 531. But do you know for sure that the same seat tube was used on the ladies models? Due to the added bending load I wouldn't be surprised if they used a 531 Tourist ST (27.0 seat post) or even 531 plain gauge.

BTW Chris Kvale's temperature control is so good that he often had to use 27.4 seat posts with 531 (after a slight reaming.) Sometimes he wouldn't get enough distortion to use a 27.2. Got to admit I've never had that problem.
As soon as the bike comes, I'll look at the seat post and let you know the size. I kind of hope Schwinn did use a thicker gauge tubing in the seat tube. It is very tall on the 22 inch ladies frame and that is a lot of leverage that will be exerted against it. I was thinking the same thing- if not plain gauge, at least the 531 Tourist ST.

Maureen
Old 08-03-08, 09:54 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
Due to the added bending load I wouldn't be surprised if they used a 531 Tourist ST (27.0 seat post) or even 531 plain gauge.
Was 531 Tourist ST available back in '61? My 1961 P-12 requires a 27.0 post.

-Kurt

Old 08-03-08, 10:04 PM
MnHPVA Guy

Originally Posted by maureenkh
the seat tube flex issue is one of the reasons I will probably stay with a sprung saddle of one kind or another. Those springs will absorb some of the weight, especially if the bike is ridden over a bump. The lovely B18 shown a couple of posts above has a small, modified spring similar to the B72 model so it's one that I'll definately consider, or else a B66/B67. Or, who knows, for the few blocks I may be riding to that coffee shop, the existing, nice quality mattress saddle may be fine. I'll know when the bike finally arrives.
Maureen
I ride B-17s, B-72s and B-66/67s. I find the ride of the B-72 much closer to the unsprung B-17s than the fully sprung models. Jane and most of her friends won't ride anything but B-67s. In antique brown or honey they look pretty darned nice after Proofide and a few miles. Unless you need the 2 wire look of the B-66 for an older bike, the B-67 is a better choice - Cheaper, no seatpost issues and over 5 ounces lighter. The newer 2 wire saddle clamps are junk. The serrations aren't as hard as the old ones.

If I ever win the lottery I'll commission a special run of Titanium B-67s. Lots of metal there, so lots of weight to be saved.
Old 08-03-08, 10:13 PM
MnHPVA Guy

Originally Posted by cudak888
Was 531 Tourist ST available back in '61? My 1961 P-12 requires a 27.0 post.
-Kurt
I know there wasn't a tube set called the "Tourist" in '59. But for years they made "Standard", "Heavyweight" and SL. Standard seat tubes were 21/24 Ga. single butted. Heavyweight were 19/22 Ga. Wouldn't be surprised if some marketing type suggested they rename the Heavyweight set, Tourist.

Last edited by MnHPVA Guy; 08-03-08 at 10:17 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.