Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My Vintage Trek 400-input?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-08, 11:36 PM
Bebopman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys.

I'm a newb to bicycling. I just started last summer when I bought my first Road Bike. I bought this trek 400 off a friend's dad. I just finished my first year of college. I knew I was going to need a bike for school so thats why I bought it. I bought it for 35 bucks. Later I found out it was really QUITE the steal. Probably the best 35 dollar investment of my LIFE.

I've been really getting into riding and I was thinking of some possible upgrades to my bike. It's currently a 12 speed. Do you guys suggest upgrading to an maybe an 18 speed? I'm just kind of looking for ideas. I'd like to dabble a little in making it an even more sweeter bike. If you guys have any ideas as to good things to upgrade lemme know.

Some other questions. I apologize if I'm a total newb please bare with me.

Would you guys suggest upgrading to bar end shifters instead of the downtubes?
If I wanted to get some different road handle bars (wider) would I have to get a threadless heatset in order to have more options?

https://i298.photobucket.com/albums/m...8/DSCN0122.jpg
https://i298.photobucket.com/albums/m...8/DSCN0114.jpg
https://i298.photobucket.com/albums/m...8/DSCN0115.jpg
https://i298.photobucket.com/albums/m...8/DSCN0117.jpg
https://i298.photobucket.com/albums/m...8/DSCN0118.jpg

Sorry about the links...I cant seem to upload them...too big
Old 05-19-08, 12:19 AM
maureenkh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 1987 Trek 400 and I love it. With lots of wrenching help from Amnomad, I changed out the double crank for a Sugino triple because I wanted some lower gears. I picked the Sugino XD2-600T with 48-36-26 chainrings. This did make it necessary to change the front and rear derailleurs to ones that had originally been on an old mountain bike. Mountain LX front and Deore DX rear. I was going to put on bar end shifters but changed my mind because the frame was small and I was worried that I would be hitting the bar end shifters with my knees and causing misshifts (this happens with another bike of mine). Instead, Amnomad had a nice pair of high quality, ratcheting stem shifters that he had taken off of one of his bikes that I used on mine, along with a Technomic stem. I know that stem shifters are not well thought of, but I've been riding the bike and I like them. Bar ends will work also. You might be able to buy the bar end adapter pods from Rivendell and use them with your downtube shifters. As for the handlebars and stem, there shouldn't be any reason why you need to change your fork or headset. I didn't have to and I changed the stem to a Technomic and the bars to a different set..Anyway, the Trek 400 has a Reynolds 531 frame and is a very nice bike which is worth upgrading. Coincidently, I got mine for $35 also, from a thrift shop. Enjoy!

Maureen
Old 05-19-08, 12:46 AM
Bebopman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you happen to have pictures? I'm curious to see
Old 05-19-08, 05:27 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Here is one of your pics.

Old 05-19-08, 07:36 AM
jebensch

Bikes: Bob Jackson Super Tourer, '83 Trek 700, Gazelle Champ Mondial, Nishiki Comp II, Moto Grand Record, Peugeot UO-10 SS

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Well done. My first roadie is an 85 Trek 400. Not nearly as classic as your - True Temper steel instead of 531 but it's been an extreeeemely dependable ride nonetheless. Personally, I love downtube shifters and think bar-ends look really flimsy and detract from the form of the bike - but I'm a design chump, so...

If you want wider handlebars, you don't need threadless (well, how wide we talking here?). I have several sets of too-wide bars that are nice. I'm sure you could rustle up a trade for a better width.

Good luck and have a good time!
Old 05-19-08, 08:52 AM
Bebopman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
whats the difference between true temper steel vs my 531 frame?

If my frame steel?
Old 05-19-08, 09:17 AM
huerro
Villainous

Bikes: Trek 420, Cyclops

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! that really is a steal.

If I were looking to upgrade, I might go for some dual pivot brakes and aero brake levers. These can often be found on ebay for a few dollars and you can get a nice brand new set of levers, cables and brakes for $40. I always feel more secure riding with modern brakes and like the cleaner look better too.

If you want bar end shifters, you can order shifter pods that will allow you to move your current shifters up to the bar ends, plus you will need new cables and down tube cable stops. Assuming you do the work yourself, this will probably be about a $40 job. Personally, I wouldn't bother. I have both bar ends and dt shifters and don't thin the bar ends are much better, but YMMV.

If you have a bike co-op in your area, you will find no shortage of triple MTB cranks and long cage derailers to upgrade with. I have a 6 speed Deore drivetrain on one of my bikes and it shifts like a dream.

Keep us updated with lots of pictures!
Old 05-19-08, 09:55 AM
maureenkh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I forgot to mention that I also upgraded the brake levers to Tektro aero brakes levers and also a set of in-line brake levers from Performance. The actual brake arms and shoes are the original ones, though I'm thinking of changing the shoes to a set of Kool-Stop. I'll try to take some pictures, but I need to figure out how to upload them.

Maureen
Old 05-19-08, 10:34 AM
bikemore 
Too many bikes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bebopman
whats the difference between true temper steel vs my 531 frame?

If my frame steel?
It is most definitely a steel frame. While true for all bikes (say a Huffy), it
is definitely a good thing on a Trek. True Temper and 531 are similar - different
manufactures. This might help a little.

https://www.desperadocycles.com/The_L...per_Tubing.htm
https://www.desperadocycles.com/TrueTemperProperties.gif

EDIT: Actually this is a little better. I believe this table address modern versions of the materials, but
you sort of get the idea.

https://www.pipedreamcycles.com/Tubing%20Comparisons.pdf

Last edited by bikemore; 05-19-08 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-19-08, 10:44 AM
MetinUz

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I believe your bike is a 1983 model. It is made of Tange mangalloy steel, and is manufactured in Japan, painted and assembled in US. I had one of these not too long ago. They are nice, but not as nice as the US built 531 frames.
Old 05-19-08, 11:26 AM
04jtb

Bikes: 1983 Dawes Galaxy, 2006 Raleigh Airlite, 1982 Sun Solo (fixed)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maureenkh
I forgot to mention that I also upgraded the brake levers to Tektro aero brakes levers and also a set of in-line brake levers from Performance. The actual brake arms and shoes are the original ones, though I'm thinking of changing the shoes to a set of Kool-Stop. I'll try to take some pictures, but I need to figure out how to upload them.

Maureen
That really does look a steal, and with some nice parts on it already

Assuming you already have the pics on your computer, and have a photobucket account, you can copy the codes for the pictures into the box where you type, as long as they have an [IMG ] [/IMG] code around the links.

then paste into the box here

also, Kool stop's would be a worthwhile improvement IMO
i jam my thumbs up and back into the tubes. this way i can point my fingers straight out in front to split the wind and attain an even more aero profile, and the usual fixed gear - zen - connectedness feeling through the drivetrain is multiplied ten fold because my thumbs become one with the tubing.
A group for all Dawes Galaxy owners to give and recieve information about them
https://flickr.com/groups/dawes_galaxy/
Old 05-19-08, 11:15 PM
Bebopman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the ideas guys

Question. Aren't the brake levers on my bike already Aero Brakes? Or are you guys suggesting I upgrade to newer ones?

The kool stop brakes actually look like a great upgrade.

I think I'm going to ditch the idea of Bar End shifters. It was just an idea and I can see problems.

If I do happen to upgrade to a triple crank would I need a new Front Derailluer?
Old 05-19-08, 11:30 PM
Bebopman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh nvm...those brake cables coming out of the top of my current brake levers looks kind funny now that I look at them.

I can see why you guys suggested an upgrade.
Old 05-19-08, 11:45 PM
digitalbicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bebopman

If I do happen to upgrade to a triple crank would I need a new Front Derailluer?
A triple crank isn't necessarily an upgrade unless you need it. Do you plan on riding some serious hills that'll require a smaller chainring? It may be easier/cheaper to swap out your existing small chainring, or to put a freewheel with a lower gear on there.

If you decide to put a triple on there, you may want to try the current front derailer and see if it works before trying to swap it. Some older double derailers handle triples just fine.
Old 05-20-08, 12:55 AM
Bebopman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking of touring long distances on my bike

So I dunno if I'll need a triple crank to be honest. I figured it might be a good idea
Old 05-20-08, 05:19 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Maybe you'd like a set of fenders, since you're thinking of touring?

Maybe a good set of tires? My favorites are a very classic looking yet tough Panaracer Pasela Tourgard, which come in a variety of 27" and 700c widths. They wouldn't look out of place on your ride.

I think you'd probably like some new cork handlebar tape.

Honestly these are just finishing touches. You have a very respectable ride there.
Old 05-20-08, 07:04 PM
iain.dalton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First of all, that bike is set up fine for riding around town. If you want to tour, and you have hills, sure, go for the triple chainwheels. Upgrades cost money, but if you don't mind that, check out these fenders.
Old 05-20-08, 09:47 PM
Bebopman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How can you tell if the stem is too long for you?

I was riding today back home from work and I was thinking about it. When I rest my hands on the top ontop the brake levers my arms are almost completely straight. Is this a sign my stem is too big? Should I just bend forward more?

Oh and I forgot to make this clear....I'm 5'9. I believe the frame of this bike is 58cm-60cm. When I stand over it my crotch is pretty much resting on the bar(I know this is dangerous if i were to ever get in an accident...but I didnt have the luxury of choosing the size frame)

So yeah...what you guys think? I dont know the size of my stem. I know i have a threaded headset(i assume all treks from the time are threaded). how do i measure the stem and figure out a good size for myself?
Old 05-20-08, 10:34 PM
iain.dalton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been in a few accidents, and I never ended up standing on the ground straddling my bike. If I somehow did end up straddling the top tube in an accident, and it were somehow propelled at my crotch, I don't think an inch or two of clearance would save me.
Old 05-21-08, 07:07 AM
bikemore 
Too many bikes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 5' 8" and while I am not too particular on size, I tend to stick to a 54. I
flipped a 59cm bike recently and it was difficult to test ride comfortably. It is
my guess (what might happen in an accident is not really the issue) the bike
is a at least 4cm too big, although your mileage may vary. I think you want
at least want the opportunity to try something a little smaller before you start
thinking about putting a lot of effort into it.
Old 05-22-08, 07:04 AM
Bebopman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It doesnt need much effort apparently lol.

I mean if i upgrade a few things theres no reason I couldnt sell it for at least 150(and I bought it for 35 bucks lol)

I really am loving the bike though. And I can ride it fine. I'd buy a bike first before parting with it.

Any input on the stem?
Old 05-22-08, 08:32 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
"Proper" sizing is something that has evolved over the years. You might want to read this. If the bike feels comfortable to you, don't worry about it.

Re: the brake lever upgrade - maybe someone already mentioned this and I missed it. As for the cable housing coming up out of the levers, that's a pretty classic look, and lots of people wouldn't have it otherwise on their vintage bikes. That being said, the main advantage to switching to aero levers is that they have a decided mechanical advantage over the levers you have now, ie. you can stop faster.

Nice bike, btw. Glad you're enjoying it.